• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So if I complain about a grossly overpowered part of the game, I'm jealous?

• Thread starter Extra Value Meal
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Isn't it just the slightest bit possible that those of us that don't think certain things should be soloable are bringing it up because we see it as a design issue? I really couldn't care less whether or not my character can solo a boss. I have no desire to even try. Have you watched the video where a sammy took down a boss solo in nine minutes? That's insane. Whether it's possible or not doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that nine minutes to solo it is crazy and overpowered. In my mind, it's an obvious flaw. I wouldn't even see it as a problem if it was two people doing it. But one?
Oh yes, because a small amount of people being able to kill high-end stuff solo causes SOOOOOO much damage to the game...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Best loot out there is 100+ crappy items with 1-2 mods at 10% intensity? That seems to be a bigger problem than a few select people having the skill to solo peerlesses...
It seems he can only focus on the handful of good items Peerless rarely drop that are worth a millions. You know like Grizzled Mares, Tombstones, Crimmies, Crystalline Rings, stuff of that nature. Those are really rare drops, and considering how instanced corpses work you'd think the argument by the player base would be opposite of what you hear, so people could solo them giving them a better chance at getting one.

C

Connor_Graham

Isn't it just the slightest bit possible that those of us that don't think certain things should be soloable are bringing it up because we see it as a design issue? I really couldn't care less whether or not my character can solo a boss. I have no desire to even try. Have you watched the video where a sammy took down a boss solo in nine minutes? That's insane. Whether it's possible or not doesn't matter nearly as much as the fact that nine minutes to solo it is crazy and overpowered. In my mind, it's an obvious flaw. I wouldn't even see it as a problem if it was two people doing it. But one?
In the end, who does it affect?

Nobody.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still no logical argument to this so you had to start a new thread to flame it? You see a problem where players who aren't exploiting are soloing content with the same skills and equipment available to you and those too lazy to get it. The only problem I see with that situation is people don't want to put in the work it takes to get the benefits and in turn cry about it to be nerfed. On topics like having VE without the necessary skill I agree that change is one that should've been in place a long time ago. No one should be able to stay in a form without keeping that amount of skill to cast it. However being able to achieve a build whilst keeping all the equipment on and being able to solo content because of it is perfectly legit.

If someone is able to find and buy a 2/6 Jewelry set with +90 total skills on them then more power to them for taking that time and spending all that money building it. Now you on the other hand would view that and say "oh my that's too overpowered no one should be allowed to have +90 skills on two pieces of equipment ! NERF IT !" What would happen then? 500 other lemmings like yourself would think to themselves, "hey that's not fair I want +90 skills to be given to me easily without any work or time invested but I can't so that person shouldn't be able to benefit from it either"
i agree with this portion of this post wholeheartedly. Maybe something you don't get is that the VE "nerf" is what all this originated from. I think the people crying "NO ONE, even people using valid skillsets, should be able to solo!" are just as bad as the people crying "WHY ARE YOU TAKING AWAY MY NO SKILL/NO ITEMS vamp form?!?!" The first group is crying because they are not able to do it (even tho it can be done with MANY valid/non-exploit templates) and the second group is crying because they can't exploit anymore.

Lynk

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can do it in 4 minutes if I run my 2nd account on my laptop at the same time - I'll make a video for you after this joke of a patch goes into effect.

:)

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If I am not mistaken, that video was not a true solo, AND was using an exploit. As in, they had to have a 2nd character in there to discord/peace the peerless, and they were using an exploit to constant peace it.

As for the group/solo thing. The beauty of it is YOU DONT HAVE TO SOLO if you dont want to ... however you are aking that others HAVE to group, even if they don't want to? Just because YOU have no desire to personally challenge yourself in that way, others should not have the right to do so? I remember fighting AW's and Bally's with 2 dexers back when that was unheard of and an SOB to do ... not because it was expedient - it definitely wasnt and we would have made much more loot/gold doing something else! - but because it was a CHALLENGE.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you all talking about the shimmering effusion video? I'm pretty sure that wasn't exploited and peaced or disco'd, pretty sure it was all done legal.

Ailish

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shimmer is an interesting peerless. It is the only one that gets HARDER with more people involved. The more people/pets IN the room, the more side spawn it produces. I don't know about 9 minutes, especially without discord, but I could see how a solo archer or possibly mage could EASILY do this one.

Side note - If the rest of the peerless were like that, that the difficulty ranged with the number of people involved, and if their loot drop was like a DF (more people = more loot dropped) then there would be incentive to do them with bigger groups. They would be more challenging. Please don't try to tell me the other peerless are ANY sort of challenge with more than 3 people, and some of them, even that is overkill! because they arent, they are just boring. Also ... I go with a group of 5 people ... what am I likely to get? One or two ingredients, 2-3 crap items, and MAYBE if I am SUPER lucky, I will get some peerless-unique item. Ya ... no thanks. I will keep doing it with 2-3 people.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

Nobody.
I think all those videos are pretty much pre-publish 42 also where changes to how leeches and mana consumption from special strikes changed.

E

Eslake

By original design, this game was intended to be group centric. It's not my opinion. It simply is the way that it is.
I don't know where you get that idea, because UO was never designed in any way to be group-centric.

In fact, it wasn't until the addition of Champ spawns that anyone at OSI/EA ever even made mention of needing to group with others to fight something.

When EQ moved to top position in the MORPG world, the single largest complaint by players was Always the same one, that they HAD to group to accomplish goals that Every character would eventually have, regardless of how one actually wished to play the game.
Many of those unhappy players returned to UO.

Each successive new game that has effected UO's population has had that same issue. They all require you to depend on others to accomplish YOUR goals, and that keeps people turning back again and again to UO.

Look around in the game for a while.. Look where people are and what they're doing. Look at what is actually Being killed, and what sits unused.

The more people it typically takes to beat something, the less you see even bothering.

If requiring more players to beat something were actually somehow a BETTER way of doing things, why do you think the peerless that require the most to beat are also the least often visited?
How many visits do you think Paroxy gets a day compared to lady Mel? 2 vs 30 maybe? Because PoP "Typically" takes a full group at the minimum while lady mel can be taken by just a bard/mage and a full mage with relative ease if they are willing to invest the time.

It isn't rocket science after all.
If you sell socks and 90% of your customers buy blue socks, and only 5% buy red ones, you don't keep cranking out new styles in Red, you make them in Blue.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All the jewel-using sampires I know will have necro and spirit speak waiting on soulstones by the time Publish 56 hits. Two days to transfer skills, and they'll be right back to soloing. I wonder what the tamer patrol will find to cry nerf about then?

ColterDC

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
God forbid that the top PvM bosses, which consist of less than 1% of the entire UO PvM content, require you to find a single friend in order to beat them......

What a bunch of anti-social buttheads.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
God forbid that the top PvM bosses, which consist of less than 1% of the entire UO PvM content, can be soloed by maybe 1% of the playerbase...

Why should we be subject to forced grouping just to get decent items, or to kill some monster?

C

Connor_Graham

God forbid that the top PvM bosses, which consist of less than 1% of the entire UO PvM content, require you to find a single friend in order to beat them......

It has nothing to do with being antisocial. The majority of people that solo also fight the same thing in groups. They solo because they want the challenge.

There is zero challenge in making a Mel run with 4 people. Same with Travesty and others. That gets boring for a lot of people really quick. They still run them in groups because they enjoy spending time with their friends, WHEN those friends are on. Not everyone can be online at the same time.

R

RoycroftLS

Why should we be subject to forced grouping just to get decent items, or to kill some monster?
It's forced grouping only if the rewards can't be obtained through any means other than through getting a group together. That is, if looted items are untradeable, or items are only distributed through a quest that requires a group to complete.

This isn't the case in UO. Items are tradeable except in rare circumstances. And if you have ever read a thread where someone complains about item's rarity, you certainly have read the numerous responses about how it is "easy" to obtain wealth through solo activities and exchange it for the desired rewards.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

You know I wouldn't have as much issue going out with groups to peerless and doom if it wasn't for one thing. I have a hard time finding people that know how or are willing to assist in getting the keys/skull to do such thing. Call the soloing players anti-social buttheads? Maybe they decided if they have to do the work to get in then why should someone else get a free ride.

Honestly I used to key for my guild a lot there was two of us that did all the keying for peerless except for Grizzle where we'd have a few more folks standing back while someone lured. Both of us quit keying peerless, and it turned to every night someone offering up a Mel run.....always Mel our interests in Peerless declined horribly. Well theirs did me and the other person were keying and going to peerless with just the two of us.....

C

Connor_Graham

It's forced grouping only if the rewards can't be obtained through any means other than through getting a group together.
It's forced grouping if you are forced to have a group to get the item on your own, without having to buy it.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
It's forced grouping if you are forced to have a group to get the item on your own, without having to buy it.
Once again I agree, players should have equal opportunity to acquire items without having to rely on player vendors, as long as their character has the skills and ability to do so. The odds of you getting a Crimmy or other top end peerless item are the same if it's 1 person killing it or 10. If you get looting rights it only does 1 check for your instanced corpse, where the difference comes in is that all the items that get split between players like ingredients and other loot all goes to the individual.

For the time involved in killing the Dreadhorn solo I could make much much more gold than the corpse drops, it's not a real issue.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I see, because you can't do it nobody else should be able to?

http://www.tissues.com/getsome
(Copyright JoO 2008)
Has the concept that a person COULD benefit from an imbalance (in this case being able to solo peerless) and STILL think that its wrong, ever occurred to you?

Hard to imagine I know, but it happens. Some people can see beyond their own greed and realize that problems like this are glaring symptoms of poor game design that are damaging the game as a whole.

The whole soloing issues is caused by and perpetrated by unlimited insurance. People who never lose thier items become uber powerful, and must the game must then be designed to make more and more powerful items and more and more powerful monsters (it might as well be a level grind) and the need to have these new items causes unchecked greed like we see in Lynks case:

Ok, here is why. I don't want to share the loot of a dreadhorn. I want to keep it and sell the items to improve my PvP suits and weapons.
This is is ALL The cause of unchecked item insurance. All it does is create a system where you have to have the best stuff all the time, and the players have to get stronger and stronger, and it just breeds greedy selfish attitudes like the one we see above. It's ruining the game.

And I for one would like to add this as an argument as to why peerless should not be soloable: They weren't designed to be. I remember them talking about how you would need a group to fight them. Wether they should be soloable or not isnt the issue, but rather the fact that they are, and were not intended to be.

Ender

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again, probably the fifth time in the last 72 hours that I've posted this:

WHERE IS THE LINK STATING THAT PEERLESSES WERE DESIGNED TO REQUIRE A GROUP?

R

RoycroftLS

Again, probably the fifth time in the last 72 hours that I've posted this:

WHERE IS THE LINK STATING THAT PEERLESSES WERE DESIGNED TO REQUIRE A GROUP?
Got a dictionary?

peerless:
Definition: having no equal

If you can solo it, then it goes against the entire premise of it being "peerless."

B

Bodhi

Ive said it many times before, some of us simply have a hard time forming a group to go peerless. Solo'ing solves this problem, and if a friend wants to join, i always let him, althou i even get the keys solo. So basically solo isnt asocial imo, it just gives me oppurtunity to have fun when others arent or cant come online... Time ratio solo <=> group makes it fair enough imo. Takes a lot longer getting keys, killing peerless then u would in group... I dont see any problems in the solo'in aspect of the peerless bosses...
Already takes enough hard earned gold and practice being able to solo, that i dont think anyone has the right to deprive someone else of pvm'ing... Earn gold like the rest, build a good gear, and go solo, i bet u will no longer complain. Doesnt mean because u can solo, that u cant go with a group...

C

Connor_Graham

Got a dictionary?

peerless:
Definition: having no equal

If you can solo it, then it goes against the entire premise of it being "peerless."
If it has no equal than it wouldn't be able to be beaten period.

Kind of goes against the premise of the premise don't you think?

It's a name some Dev picked out, not the end all of what they are.

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nerf Extra Value meals! They are overpow3rd and they make you fat! I'm so mad about super size meals! We have to nerf them! Nerf nerf nerf!

In case you missed it, if you don't think soloing high end stuff is not heroic and doable in a fantasy setting, go tell that to Gandalf after he SOLO WTF PWNZERIZED the balroc of Mordor.

Yea that's what I thought. Gandalf would so pwn your nerfherding butt that you would be pooping Hobbit juice for years.

Go nerf up another game kthx

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My opinion is, the peerless and other mobs aren't tough enough. Some of them were long ago able to be soloed before the sampire's popularity. In EVERY online game I've played, there are good people who can solo tough mobs.

The options you have are to make monsters more difficult like someone said already...or in my opinion, add other dungeons which require you to group in order to enter.

That said, some people solo because for the most part, they have other obligations which prevent them from grouping. That's why other games have created classes like beastmaster and what not so that these people can do the same thing that groups are doing.

Last but not least, the before mentioned example stems from the fact that ALL of these other games have set "jobs" so to speak. So this begs the question: Do you want to be like all those other games? I don't...because I like the template variety that is allowed in the game.

In closing however, I do liken the mentioned template that everyone is belly-aching about...I do liken that to the taming skill. You should always have "x" skill in order to activate it. Anyone with common sense will adjust their skill as necessary in order to keep their template.

R

RoycroftLS

If it has no equal than it wouldn't be able to be beaten period.
No, it just means there is no single person of equal status. A bunch of lower status people could, you know, combine their powers to beat it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No, it just means there is no single person of equal status. A bunch of lower status people could, you know, combine their powers to beat it.
Like if you sent wave after wave of school children at a fully trained kickboxer...Sure at first he would have no problem dispatching the kids, but eventually the kickboxer would tire, and be smothered by flailing children.

F

Fink

I think the peerless bosses were intended to be a group thing, I read that in the ML texts, but the players have been known to surprise the devs before.

Soloing high-end mobs isn't anything new.. I recall about 8-9 years ago someone on the lumberjack forum managed to solo a balron over an hour and a half of jousting and falling back to heal (balrons used to be top monsters, lumberjacking + axe used to give a decent damage bonus to swordsmanship).

I think no matter how hard they make the top end of this game, players will always be resourceful enough to find a way to solo it. For similar reasons, and for the sheer freedom of UO's character system, nothing approaching balance between all playstyles will ever be achieved.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
In case you missed it, if you don't think soloing high end stuff is not heroic and doable in a fantasy setting, go tell that to Gandalf after he SOLO WTF PWNZERIZED the balroc of Mordor.
Yea but he died doing so, and it took direct intervention of Eru Ilúvatar to resurrect him. Outside of getting seriously jacked up all of the wizards in Tolkien's writings were immortal so I don't think that was a good example.

And I don't really think him slaying the Balrog of Moria (not Mordor) was a WTF PWNZERIZED situation since it took 8 days, and they were pretty even matched to start with you know with both of them being maiar and all that....

Endrik

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Like if you sent wave after wave of school children at a fully trained kickboxer...Sure at first he would have no problem dispatching the kids, but eventually the kickboxer would tire, and be smothered by flailing children.
Hahahahahaha... Thank you, I got a good minute or two laugh out of this comparison. Masterfully worded!!! I love watching UFC and my wife is a elemntary school teacher, so between the two it was an easy visual to come up with. Man I needed that today. Thanks again.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The obvious problem is that over time all Boss Mobs (*shrug* Group mobs) become trivial.

This is no phenomenon to UO, EQ basically did it every single time they released an expansion.

Want a laugh?

Consider that they have had what 28 expansions? Just think how terribly trivial the Original EQ Boss Mobs are now. So trivial that they imposed a level cap to fight the mobs, that level cap is just above mid-level, and when 2 of my characters were at the level cap, I 2 box'd the (Solo'd) boss mobs.

How disheartening this was, is this.

When EQ first came out, it took hours of large groups 20 to 40 (think front line fighters, rezers and healers out of the room) and the results were by no means guaranteed. The level cap at that time was 50.

The level cap to fight is 52. I did each in about 15 minutes each 2 box soloing them.

As I said, it took us hours with 10 times the number of characters, the first time.

You don't want this to happen? Simple, do not accept the premise that there must be something more powerful (itemization) to keep your interest. Other wise accept the inevitable and have fun as best you can.

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hahahahahaha... Thank you, I got a good minute or two laugh out of this comparison. Masterfully worded!!! I love watching UFC and my wife is a elemntary school teacher, so between the two it was an easy visual to come up with. Man I needed that today. Thanks again.
There is an old saying that I will update a tad bit.

Hercules had the strength of 10 men.

*Shrug* 10 men and a woman beats him in a tug of war.

S

Shot

Doom bosses, specifically the Dark Father, drops the best loot in the game, not Peerless. The only "good" thing you could name specifically that Peerless drop are the Crimson Cinctures. DF's drop Doom arties, plus the CC's, which puts them at the top of the list, and DF's being solo'd has been going on for years, and not by dexxers, yet I don't see anyone complaining about that.
DF's drop very few items that are decent now. Peerless drop much better loot IMO.

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why the Hell do you think they should be soloable?
Why do you think they shouldn't be would be a better question.

"My opinion" isn't a reason either. Neither is the fact that this is an MMO. The first holds no weight and the second only means that there are other people online in the game world when you are.

It takes a group of 3-4 9 minutes or less to take down Mel, but can take a solo person 30 minutes. I don't see a problem with that.

The OP hit the nail right on the head.

The downfall of Uo will be when the Devs cave in and listen to the ADD whiners that want everything handed to them on a silver platter.

"I can't do EVERY SINGLE aspect of Uo by myself 10 minutes after I create a new character so im gonna quit"

*pukes*

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yea but he died doing so, and it took direct intervention of Eru Ilúvatar to resurrect him. Outside of getting seriously jacked up all of the wizards in Tolkien's writings were immortal so I don't think that was a good example.

And I don't really think him slaying the Balrog of Moria (not Mordor) was a WTF PWNZERIZED situation since it took 8 days, and they were pretty even matched to start with you know with both of them being maiar and all that....
I havent read the trilogy or the silmarillion in awhile but I believe that the wizards were outside of the Maiar no?

Kind of a middle earth emmisary/police force sent from overseas

And you are quite right as they were nowhere near Mordor when they fought. And wasnt it a Balrog? Not Balroc

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Nobody.
Lol.

It doesnt affect anyone yet both sides are crying on the board for weeks?

Anyways, it is not about affect. It is about attempting to balance templates and curb abuse.

1) Being a solo player in no way grants you the right to abuse an item or template

2) Pretending that outfitting & playing an overpowered and abused template is hard does 0 to lend credibility

3) Take your minor nerf like an adult. Especially in light of the fact that all your fellow Sampire gimps claim that 1 hit on the old soulstone will still allow you to do business as usual lol.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I havent read the trilogy or the silmarillion in awhile but I believe that the wizards were outside of the Maiar no?

Kind of a middle earth emmisary/police force sent from overseas

And you are quite right as they were nowhere near Mordor when they fought. And wasnt it a Balrog? Not Balroc
The wizards were Maiar that were sent to middle earth wrapped in the disguise of men to guide the races and help protect them from the Evil in the world, after Melkor came and started messing things up. Sauron was a Maiar that was corrupted by Melkor. If people that Sauron was bad he was just a shadow of Melkor in terms of power.

C

Connor_Graham

Lol.

It doesnt affect anyone yet both sides are crying on the board for weeks?
The ones doing the most crying are the ones against soloing, because well......they figured out that the change they asked for didn't do what they thought it would.

Anyways, it is not about affect. It is about attempting to balance templates and curb abuse.
Templates are balanced now. I'm perfectly happy with the way they will be AFTER the change goes in. I've already adjusted my dexxer and am playing him as if the change had already occurred.

1) Being a solo player in no way grants you the right to abuse an item or template
I'm sorry, what am I abusing? I've got 720 skill points and no skill jewels at all on my character, including GM Necro. Where's the abuse?

2) Pretending that outfitting & playing an overpowered and abused template is hard does 0 to lend credibility
Please show me one single quote where I've said it did.

3) Take your minor nerf like an adult. Especially in light of the fact that all your fellow Sampire gimps claim that 1 hit on the old soulstone will still allow you to do business as usual lol.
I think you're preaching to the choir, albeit in an insulting, childish manner. I've never said ANYTHING against the change.

Not.......one.........single........thing.

Maybe you should actually pay attention or at least read what I've written before posting about it. You might actually be accurate then.

:coco:

scarecrow73

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People, Seriously, Can you tell me that MY wanting to solo a dang thing will reduce the level of play for you and YOUR group? Are you that hung up on how others are doing? It matters not to me your opinion on whether or not you approve of my character or whether or not I"exploit" the game. The fact is, soloing peerless or the Dark Father or whatever else I may fight doesn't effect other players gameplay. You going to sit there and tell me that BECAUSE soloing is taking place you get less loot or that your personnel play experience is crippled? Get over it. I play UO for the vast ways one can create and recreate thier characters and with the new monsters/events, not to chat it up with everyone. People can play for whatever reason they want. I say **** off unless you can show me how soloing can ruin YOUR game.