• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So golem training is going away...

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
True. But other games actually have an entertaining storyline, epic quests, group dungeons etc. In other MMOs the most fun I've had is levelling up. Normally quit once I hit endgame. In UO, levelling up is very dull and tedious. All the fun, for me and many others I know, as at "end game".

It's not a huge issue though. If I have to train a weapon skill again, I just won't train it. Bought a mythic token, buy some SOTs. Sorted.
Not going to repeat my last post, but it applies here too. They're revamping dungeons to offer a better training environment. Take the opportunity to use them and give feedback, them training can be like it is in other games too. You probably won't get what you don't ask for though :)

Wenchy

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not going to repeat my last post, but it applies here too. They're revamping dungeons to offer a better training environment. Take the opportunity to use them and give feedback, them training can be like it is in other games too. You probably won't get what you don't ask for though :)

Wenchy
How did they revamp dungeons to improve training? They took despise, probably the biggest dungeon used for those that trained warrior skills and revamped it. I used to start at the top level and progress down through the ettins/mud ele's to the trolls, then on to ogres and finally ogre lords. Now, that is all gone. Now Despise is a dungeon where I need to grab a pet and train it to do the boss. At the same time, they got rid of the use of golems (an assumption, but my guess is an accurate one). So lets make it more difficult on melee warriors. Meanwhile, I just passed two houses, one where the character has been in the same spot for two days (working crafting???) and the other is actively been working magery for three days. If you're going to screw the dexxers, lets make in an equal dry **** for ALL templates. Otherwise, leave it alone. Perhaps bringing back 8X8 would be best? At least you would see occupied boats on the ocean again. Same difference.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How did they revamp dungeons to improve training? They took despise, probably the biggest dungeon used for those that trained warrior skills and revamped it. I used to start at the top level and progress down through the ettins/mud ele's to the trolls, then on to ogres and finally ogre lords. Now, that is all gone. Now Despise is a dungeon where I need to grab a pet and train it to do the boss. At the same time, they got rid of the use of golems (an assumption, but my guess is an accurate one). So lets make it more difficult on melee warriors. Meanwhile, I just passed two houses, one where the character has been in the same spot for two days (working crafting???) and the other is actively been working magery for three days. If you're going to screw the dexxers, lets make in an equal dry **** for ALL templates. Otherwise, leave it alone. Perhaps bringing back 8X8 would be best? At least you would see occupied boats on the ocean again. Same difference.
Note that I said revamping, because clearly they plan to update more dungeons in the future. Work hasn't finished so there is plenty of time for feedback and changes to come.

Also as I said before, if we want to improve dungeon training we need to give solid constructive feedback on what is good/bad so that the devs can fix things. They can't fix things if we don't report them. They aren't mind readers at knowing what we want to see either.

What exactly do you want to happen to crafters? You want them to need fighting skills so they can take big risks to gain in tailoring? :D If so I want a vanquishing sewing kit and a ranged pin-cushion attack heh. But crafters do not solo top end spawns, they create items and run shops. It makes no sense to make it tougher on a profession that can't do any of the tough stuff. By all means add quests and the like to training so folk had to go out more, I'd welcome some more RP than just filling vendors with items I make.

Mages in their houses may well be the next thing to change, I'm sure the warriors will make sure to point that out at every opportunity until then ;)

I really welcome the game becoming tougher and training requiring more engagement from the player. That's how I played UO from the start. I'll be quite happy if tamers lose shadow eles and those resist critters and others lose satyrs or have to train magery out in dungeons. It's about time that effort and risk got more reward than little effort and total safety. If we get more engaging content as a result, that can only help UO. All the easymode stuff just makes a joke of the whole game IMO.

Wenchy

Vor

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mages in their houses may well be the next thing to change, I'm sure the warriors will make sure to point that out at every opportunity until then ;)
For the most part, except Siege, they're the same people! :)

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG!!!!! Golem training is going away!!!!!
chickenlittle.jpg

there are other alternatives out there. Although you might not be able to gain unattended with them as with golem training, they are there.

Last edited:

Aibal

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
OMG!!!!! Golem training is going away!!!!!
View attachment 11185

there are other alternatives out there. Although you might not be able to gain unattended with them as with golem training, they are there.
Of course there are alternatives. However, saying that every golem trainer is unattended is ridiculous, as is saying every crafter working their trade or mage working a mage skill is parked right there staring at there screen. Please try to be relevent with the comments.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a false generic statement that anyone that has used golems have been afk while doing it. Fact is, golems will die within minutes if done afk if such trainer has any sort of fast swing/hit chance. So what if certain players had to train in dungeons 12-15 years ago. I trained gm magery pre aos so should i fuss over the fact people can train with faster cast/recovery since "I" didn't have the luxury of other options?

There are alternatives but that's not the point of this.

Golems have been the benchmark way to gain melee for roughly 2/3rds the ENTIRE LIFESPAN UO has been around.

You have to sit and think what else in the game is also being eyeballed as "an exploit that isnt working as intended". Could it be the extreme life leech of a sampire where one can solo just about anything in game? Could it be the mana leech a whammy gives to provide continious specials?

Point is, it is completely unacceptable to have something so widely accepted and used for years upon years taken away while being told "no it's not working like we intended".

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One of the biggest impediments to development in UO is the difficulty making changes to things which have been in place for an extended timeframe. It doesnt mater if they shouldnt have been put in in the first place, or should have been fixed quickly. Once it becomes accepted as they way it is, that tends to migrate to the way things should be.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
One of the biggest impediments to development in UO is the difficulty making changes to things which have been in place for an extended timeframe. It doesnt mater if they shouldnt have been put in in the first place, or should have been fixed quickly. Once it becomes accepted as they way it is, that tends to migrate to the way things should be.

I would like a dev to come here and post why. Why do they believe this was a needed change? What is the logic?

Most players are not resistant to change when the change is good and needed. However, things like that only annoy players and do nothing positive for the game are of course going to get scorn. There are so many area's of UO that needed addressed its not funny and the fact that this made the list of 'important' bug fixes is the issue. How is this important and why?? Explain yourself.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would like a dev to come here and post why. Why do they believe this was a needed change? What is the logic?

Most players are not resistant to change when the change is good and needed. However, things like that only annoy players and do nothing positive for the game are of course going to get scorn. There are so many area's of UO that needed addressed its not funny and the fact that this made the list of 'important' bug fixes is the issue. How is this important and why?? Explain yourself.
My guess is that it's because there were complaints about golem training. In a classic pattern, there were complaints, until they responded, then there were complaints about the response, and folks will pretend the initial complaints never existed.

To say that players are not resistant to change is incorrect. We are a community uniquely resistant to change. And rarely is a change beneficial for everyone at the same time. Sometimes yes but not always.

Do we even know what the change was, by the way?

-Galen's player

Last edited:

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've seen this pattern for years and years as a player.

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On a related note for us players it is too often very hard for us to find the line between bugs, intended features, unintended features that are not strictly speaking disallowed.

From your end when you were working on the game I can imagine it's difficult to find the lines between "bug in good design," "bad design but working as intended," "bug in bad design that has beneficial results," and all the various other possible combinations.

Now imagine that same dynamic from our end.

And now imagine that same dynamic from our end made even more confusing by deliberate cheaters and exploiters making boundaries that are already fuzzy even more fuzzy than they need to be! ("If you can golem train, I can dupe 1 million GP checks!" would be one extreme but not out of line example of the things some folks insist on saying.)

-Galen's player

frostbolt

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bug fixing implies that something "broken" is being fixed. Changing golems isn't a bug fix, its a deliberate nerf. And a stupid nerf at that.

Picus of Napa

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But it wasn't a bug. The creature in question had 100-99 resist in poisoning and the dev team gave us this silly split damage mod whichand it's not a far stretch to see that someone would put it all together.

You know what really boggles my mind, makes me think that the team is really out to lunch and has allowed me to reach a 95% conclusion that the will run the game into the ground? Why instead of doing the revamp, which I think was a device to get us to buy stuff, didn't they add more land and put it all in there charging us $30 for the expansion. The largest chance to add more revenue than the tokens and crafting tools was missed and wasted. The chance to show EA that the steady cash from from UO is viable and can be milked was screwed up. While I certainly wouldn't have been pleased with the idea of spending the cash unlike the last two boosters I, and everyone else, would have done so.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
But it wasn't a bug. The creature in question had 100-99 resist in poisoning and the dev team gave us this silly split damage mod whichand it's not a far stretch to see that someone would put it all together.
I suspect they thought players would get bored standing around and eventually train elsewhere. When that didn't happen, they perhaps hoped the revamped dungeons would do the trick. When their carrot and smaller stick of prior golem nerf didn't work they nerfed it harder. I think the devs could have reacted sooner once players were using golems to train to such an extent, but held off knowing it wouldn't be popular.

You know what really boggles my mind, makes me think that the team is really out to lunch and has allowed me to reach a 95% conclusion that the will run the game into the ground? Why instead of doing the revamp, which I think was a device to get us to buy stuff, didn't they add more land and put it all in there charging us $30 for the expansion. The largest chance to add more revenue than the tokens and crafting tools was missed and wasted. The chance to show EA that the steady cash from from UO is viable and can be milked was screwed up. While I certainly wouldn't have been pleased with the idea of spending the cash unlike the last two boosters I, and everyone else, would have done so.
Why would you add more land masses when there isn't enough population on most shards to fill even 1 of the existing ones? That only spreads the community out further and leaves you with a ton of old lands which nobody uses while they play the new spots. At one time the growth was justifiable because there were enough players looking for housing spots etc. Now what we need is to be brought together, not spread out, and the old dungeons are desperately in need of a revamp after all these years. Makes perfect sense to me.

When it comes to generating revenue from the game - look at the item store. It's growing steadily with more items. That plus the subs seems to be the income for UO. Rather than put a ton of time into designing a whole new land mass with fresh spawns it is probably far easier to add new individual items in the store while they work on bugs and updates to the existing lands. Players complained for years that new content was added while old bugs remained, now the balance looks better. From what has been said recently I think there are some big changes coming to UO and I think it's fantastic if we all have access to that content by just paying our subs.

Wenchy

KLOMP

Sage
Stratics Veteran
As far as training a character "legitimately" goes, the dungeon revamps have been a huge disaster that have made everything much harder.

Ricsreturn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
I've been in and out of this game for the past 12 yrs, the silliest thing I ever seen was someone standing in luna smacking a golem. They claim it's faster, I say they're just lazy. I've trained new chars to 120 in all skills mater of 2-3 days by actually going to a dungeon and fighting. Come back and the same person smacking same golem. With pink scrolls blue scrolls adv char tokens mythic tokens now out people still feel they need a golem to train skill. It's stupid, the golem isn't hitting you back it isn't running from you. Almost as stupid as seeing people train bushido on a cat. If it takes you a month to train a weapon skill by going out fighting in dungeons and champ spawns then you're doing it wrong and maybe should stick to crafting.

I think this is a good move for devs. It should encourage more to do champ spawns for pink scrolls in turn will bring more pvp, or increase the selling of these scrolls making those who to spawns more profit. win win in my book. Something that should of been done years ago

LordDrago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As far as training a character "legitimately" goes, the dungeon revamps have been a huge disaster that have made everything much harder.
YES!!!!! give us players a challenge!!! no more catering to the candyland players looking for the easy way out of training combat skills.

tbh and serious though, given the vastness of the Sosarian realm, training is not so much more difficult, just different than it was, and we have been thrown out of our "comfort zone"... imho

Logrus

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since the revamps I've trained 5 or 6 new characters in the dungeons much easier than before. Haven't much gone to the newer revamps, but shame first 2 levels will take you from 70's -120 without having to encounter any casting mobs. If you have a training partner you can raise even faster going into the intense spawn area so that the monsters supply is plentiful. Not to mention while training I've pulled a few really nice items out, and have multiple training suits made entirely out of cursed greater/major and legendary artifact gear which i don't even care about losing or repairing. You can 120 any melee skill in 20 hours of gameplay, and be making money on top of it.
As for whether golem training was a bug or not. No idea, but UO content changes and grows, and alot of legacy systems don't keep up with the changes. Most Pre-AoS Mobs, still haven't had elemental resists added. Bug? Nope just an unintended consequence probably the same thing as golems. Maybe a better change would be that you don't gain unless you do damage, but I anticipate that would be met with as much of if not more outcry.

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe a better change would be that you don't gain unless you do damage, but I anticipate that would be met with as much of if not more outcry.
I actually love that proposition. However that would likely make those training magery a little more unhappy than the warriors might be I suspect (assuming that would apply to magery).

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Shame level 1 and 2 are awesome to train from 70 to 120, aye. Even more so with cursed, brittle, cannot be repaired armor.
Old Tram Despise was a better for poor toons to train up to 90 or so, as you'd kill the Ettins faster and make more gold in less time, but Shame is a great place to finish training melee skills now. It is also a good place to train casting skills with offensive spells.

Although, all in all, I was never bothered by the idea of people training off golems. I prefer to do my melee and magery training down the dungeon, and people training off golems never stopped me from doing it.

Edit: Also, gaining only from doing damage wouldn't work for all the fighting skills out there.
Necro would be a pain to train, as would be spellweaving. Mysticism might be doable, but I feel there are some points where you'd only have spells that are too tough or too easy to cast, so gaining would be really hard.

Last edited:

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When UO began the average player went out and did their thing. Training came as part of that learning curve of the game. One of my first characters was a warrior, he was made to protect my miner. Yes it was a male character and I am a lady... but we digress . You must remember the land was just Fel.. a vary dangerous place. Not just from players who wanted my ore or the wood I chopped. But the critters who ran all over.... beleave it or not the spawn in the early days was way bigger then it is today. Liches roamed, so you needed to have skills enough to handle it. NO RoT, scrolls, or Golem, so what do you do? Any critter that game good gains you hunted and wiped out. If you were smart you collected the hide, the metal and bag it had on it and you made full use of every thing you killed. 97 was way different then the game is today for the beginner.
Today:
My son could make a new player a set of 70's suit armor that would make a 97 era player drool. His 120 skills in Imbueing and all the goodies could put out a set of the finest jewelry to go with it. Custom made to go with any skill pattern you wanted. Weapon.... there is a glut of arties out there cheap that would make my invun of 97 look like I had plastic sword!
The idea they are fixing bugs is a good thing. oh I have one thing in the list that will upset my decoing... but its not the end of my world.

I do see why it is changing. Some of you said it in your responce to my posts. Think about it. You have stated YOU want to train in your home or in town alone or safely. That is not the uo way... 97 players went in the dungeons to gain, used every corner of the place to gain and play. Dungeons needed a update to get players back in them... thats sad.
Not the update but the fact it took one. I for one didnt care for the idea of them changing the places i hunt on a regular basis. But again it was for the greater good.
I know you feel this is wrong.... get over it. Many have given you options. I will tell you one thing that I know for a fact.... IT takes a better reason then you have given to change a Dev mind to stop a change.
LordDrago said it best.
Argue all you like ..................but till you can give the best reason why it should not be changed it will be and your stuck with it.

Quickblade

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
New Haven 0 to 50 weapon skill(with quest) --->Fire rabbit - 100% fire damage weapon - spamm attack last target , you can even train parry and healing with this trick and with +10 weapon skill on jewels, you can train from 50 to 100~ish (maybe 120 if the rabbit raises its wrestling to gm not sure it can tho) . you just have to have high fire resist and/or hit point regen, fire rabbit does maybe 5 damage at max per hit at 70 fire resist.

Last edited:

Goldberg-Chessy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When I first started playing UO 15 years ago I remember it taking me weeks just to get my stats to where I wanted(chopped alot of trees,etc...) It then took me months and months to fully train the skills on my 2 main chars.
Since then of course I have trained some chars through normal gameplay and some through the use of a golem.
I probably would have used golems more often but was always a bit afraid of getting caught afk.

My point is that just because I have a good appreciation of how long it took to gain skills back in the day I have no right to act like an idiot and bash someone else just for using a golem.
One of the replies earlier in this thread got it perfect.
Nobody seems to have any issues at all with crafters buying raw materials and then sitting alone in their house gaining skill.
IMO you could say that those crafters are even lazier and worse then the people using golems because they didnt even go out and hunt/kill for the material themselves.

Too many banksitting motards seem to have nothing better to do then worry about what other people are doing (legally)

IMO there is nothing more reprehensible or pathetic then playing this game to do nothing other then worry about what you are wearing while you are sitting in a bank. Or even worse, while you are decorating your house. Alone!!
How does spending hours,days,months decorating your house by yourself promote community?

*shakes head*

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Soooo.....I'm guessing no one wants to remove skill lock again like early days of UO? *raises hand in favor*

Aww come on! Then people could stay in their houses running macros forever and ever! Casting, crafting or fighting golems trying to keep their skills from falling!

That way people could KNOW for sure that their computer got a good night of gaming in, while they were watching TV! *laughs*

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If just one of the folk pointing at crafters had something constructive beyond "they have it too easy," perhaps we'd get somewhere.

A crafter's location and method can be safe, making x item for a while then the next. Just as warriors hit the right level of critter for a while. Unless you involve quests, which I don't see any objection to. Anything to make training more interesting! So to say that crafters are being protected is strange. We all want fun while we train :) BTW, warriors can be safe solo antisocial trainers too, even without a golem. Just thought I'd mention it, because that playstyle isn't monopolized by crafters/mages. Really :D

I haven't seen many suggestions of what you guys want changed. Likewise we're thin on suggestions for other professions too. It would be great to have a discussion that didn't keep coming back to leave warriors, nerf crafters & mages though...

Wenchy

Viper09

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Comparisons of training a warrior to training a crafter are kind of BS, in my opinion of course. I can't remember the last time a crafter was able to defeat a daemon by creating a chair...let alone anything for that matter.

To say those two classes are completely different would be an understatement too. While we're at it, let us complain about how safe it is to train arms lore, detect hidden, item identification, taste ID, forensic eval, etc to all warrior classes.

Last edited:

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I tried golem bashing, once, for about 10 minutes. Then decided it was boring as hell and went to find some mobs to bash instead. There are plenty of them, and at all levels, you just have to be prepared to travel to other facets than just Tram or Fel. Tokuno is an excellent training ground. If I'm playing a game, I want to play the game, not have it running on some kind of autopilot while I read a book or watch TV.

As for newbies and the new dungeons. I can't think of anywhere outside of Haven that's more 'newbie friendly' than the new 1st level of Covetous. The harpies don't fight till they're attacked, meaning there's absolutely no chance of being overwhelmed by spawn

Last edited:

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I often do is get a UO story idea I want to write about. For example, most recently my friends and I were talking about a monastery of clerics and paladins dedicated to the virtue of honesty. So I'll make a new account and make the characters for the story, training them up to the level I determine they should be at. They'll be bashing golems on my laptop while I'm logged into my other accounts actually playing the game. I use this trick to also train up villains I mean to use for RP Events. I don't know why anyone would be offended by this. I'm not slowing down your skill gains, I'm not stealing your spawn. I'm not preventing you from hunting any place or flooding the economy with resources and artifacts. Just because you find it boring to bash a golem it doesn't mean others don't have a legitimate use for it.

I've played this game 15 years non-stop. I've GMed skills is so many different ways. RC Room, sparring with a guildie, fighting monsters the old fashioned way, optimizing power hour, etc. So if you have some holier than thou notion about how the game should be played, I can out holy you. Been there done that all along the ride.

These days players typically have less time to play and they have their projects they want to take part in. Removing golem bashing might just make it more of a pain in the butt to do these projects and they just might decide not to bother. For myself, if it becomes too much a pain in the butt, I might not activate new accounts for new screenshot stories. That is revenue that is being taken out of EA's coffers. Is this a good thing for the health of the game?

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I often do is get a UO story idea I want to write about. For example, most recently my friends and I were talking about a monastery of clerics and paladins dedicated to the virtue of honesty. So I'll make a new account and make the characters for the story, training them up to the level I determine they should be at. They'll be bashing golems on my laptop while I'm logged into my other accounts actually playing the game. I use this trick to also train up villains I mean to use for RP Events. I don't know why anyone would be offended by this. I'm not slowing down your skill gains, I'm not stealing your spawn. I'm not preventing you from hunting any place or flooding the economy with resources and artifacts. Just because you find it boring to bash a golem it doesn't mean others don't have a legitimate use for it.

I've played this game 15 years non-stop. I've GMed skills is so many different ways. RC Room, sparring with a guildie, fighting monsters the old fashioned way, optimizing power hour, etc. So if you have some holier than thou notion about how the game should be played, I can out holy you. Been there done that all along the ride.

These days players typically have less time to play and they have their projects they want to take part in. Removing golem bashing might just make it more of a pain in the butt to do these projects and they just might decide not to bother. For myself, if it becomes too much a pain in the butt, I might not activate new accounts for new screenshot stories. That is revenue that is being taken out of EA's coffers. Is this a good thing for the health of the game?
You're approaching afk training if you're not playing the account actively while your character trains on a golem. So I doubt EA are going to miss that aspect of golem training.

I have very little time to play, but I've never owned or used a golem. That's the reason why I do train in normal play so I'm not wasting my game time watching a golem. When I train a character I'm actively playing that account so if it's boring I do something else. Parking a character and watching it train is like watching paint dry. I combine training chars with collecting resources or doing event spawns rather than separating the two. That's a much better use of my limited time than waiting for a character to train before it gets used.

If I was wanting to do screenshot stories I'd use test centre - instant trained characters, tons of resources to kit them up. Ask a few friends if you need other characters alongside yours. If I wanted to do one on my home shard I'd just ask the RP guilds and I have no doubt I'd have an eager supply of volunteers lol. I don't think golems are needed in your situation tbh. In fact, you could run a second account with trained characters and reactivate that one to make each subsequent character. Then you can use soulstones and avoid training the same skills over and over. It's just a case of working with the tools at hand. Golems are out of the picture, so sit down and look at other ways to do what you want.

Wenchy

Olahorand

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I assume, there were too many Help calls going to complain about real or potential unattended Golem bashers. So this was mainly a way to remove unnecessary work from GMs.
The same comes into the mind with items under house signs. Someone placed a house, interesting item got locked and inaccessible under house sign. If the owner didn't want to keep it for deco (I liked flowers, rocks, corpses etc below house sign), or if a competitor in placement or IDOC looting was interested in the item, this often resulted in a GM call.
Since many here complain, how long it takes to get a response from GMs, I think several of the "bugs" fixed had to do with the intensity of GM calls.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You're approaching afk training if you're not playing the account actively while your character trains on a golem. So I doubt EA are going to miss that aspect of golem training.

I have very little time to play, but I've never owned or used a golem. That's the reason why I do train in normal play so I'm not wasting my game time watching a golem. When I train a character I'm actively playing that account so if it's boring I do something else. Parking a character and watching it train is like watching paint dry. I combine training chars with collecting resources or doing event spawns rather than separating the two. That's a much better use of my limited time than waiting for a character to train before it gets used.

If I was wanting to do screenshot stories I'd use test centre - instant trained characters, tons of resources to kit them up. Ask a few friends if you need other characters alongside yours. If I wanted to do one on my home shard I'd just ask the RP guilds and I have no doubt I'd have an eager supply of volunteers lol. I don't think golems are needed in your situation tbh. In fact, you could run a second account with trained characters and reactivate that one to make each subsequent character. Then you can use soulstones and avoid training the same skills over and over. It's just a case of working with the tools at hand. Golems are out of the picture, so sit down and look at other ways to do what you want.

Wenchy
Again, this is holier than thou. I don't do it that way so you shouldn't either. I'm not afk, I'm at the keyboard. I can respond if a GM shows up. That's the criteria. It's the same as spellcasters casting over and over. Can they reply to a GM who shows up to check on them. By the way, all the suggestions you offered don't work for me. Each character typically has their own equipment and items plus the storage to hold said items. Once created, I need only reactivate the account to use them in the future.

Aurelius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Meanwhile....

Tried making a golem with my GM tinker today, and the only difference I can spot is that poison resist was only 89%. I didn't notice anything else significantly 'different' from earlier golems, so unless someone else has found more out through actually training on a golem, I'd say golem training 'going away' is a rather overoptimistic statement. It would appear that golem training will remain an option (even if a very, very boring one), but there will be increased demand for tinkers, or their repair deeds, to keep the golem up and running, or a bigger market for selling replacement golems.

Winker

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Golem training still works. I just did it and went from 118 swords to 120 in 42 minuets. It took a little more damage than they used to, but it could be healed back up again easily

Last edited:

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again- I think the saddest part about this whole line of conversation is that there are several quicker ways to raise skills other than golem training.

Those who keep harping on it, to me, come across pretty much as AFK whiners.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think the pub went live this morn, not 100%, but there are a few things that were supposed to change, but did not.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, this is holier than thou. I don't do it that way so you shouldn't either. I'm not afk, I'm at the keyboard. I can respond if a GM shows up. That's the criteria. It's the same as spellcasters casting over and over. Can they reply to a GM who shows up to check on them. By the way, all the suggestions you offered don't work for me. Each character typically has their own equipment and items plus the storage to hold said items. Once created, I need only reactivate the account to use them in the future.
I said you were approaching AFK training, not doing it. Approaching, as in getting into that territory. Yes, you can respond to a GM but you are not playing that character while you train.

Nobody is being holier than thou at you simply by disagreeing, or by stating that they prefer another method because they feel it's better. Don't interpret others as having the worst of intentions simply because they disagree with you. If I was really holier than thou I would just have ignored the folks complaining in this thread and I certainly wouldn't have offered you any suggestions for training. But I suspect unless you decide to adapt your methods, it's pointless anyone offering alternatives to you.

Wenchy

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Again- I think the saddest part about this whole line of conversation is that there are several quicker ways to raise skills other than golem training.

Those who keep harping on it, to me, come across pretty much as AFK whiners.
I don't think I have seen anyone who is in favor of golems being left alone say it is the fastest way to train, just the most convenient. If I can stick a golem in the house and train on it while my crafter works on suits and heals the golem that is a better use of my game time for me than out whirl winding mobs. Furthermore if I choose to train that way, how does that effect anyone else's gameplay. It doesn't !

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I said you were approaching AFK training, not doing it. Approaching, as in getting into that territory. Yes, you can respond to a GM but you are not playing that character while you train.

Nobody is being holier than thou at you simply by disagreeing, or by stating that they prefer another method because they feel it's better. Don't interpret others as having the worst of intentions simply because they disagree with you. If I was really holier than thou I would just have ignored the folks complaining in this thread and I certainly wouldn't have offered you any suggestions for training. But I suspect unless you decide to adapt your methods, it's pointless anyone offering alternatives to you.

Wenchy
So you're conclusion is that a person is "close to being afk" and as such is breaking some rule because they "are not playing that character"? Give me a break. Clearly they are logged into the game hence they are actually playing the game since they are sending packets to and recieving packets from the server. They had to repair the golem so they must be in the game to do so. This is just another case of I don't like it for some reason and it must be wrong. Take your ball and leave the playground.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Furthermore if I choose to train that way, how does that effect anyone else's gameplay. It doesn't !
Not only relating to golem training, but this train of thought is one of the biggest, if not the biggest issue, in UO.

That's the same methodology that scripters use to justify their actions.

Honestly, I am not necessarily against golem training. I am against that because of the way it is set up that it promotes, nay, encourages AFK training. That is my issue with it. And as I posted before, which is why don't necessarily like 100% LRC either, because that is an avenue for AFK skilling up of casting skills.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Assuming that the initial reports in this thread pan out, then what they did was decrease golems' poison resistance. Basically all of our panic was for naught.

Yes, they should have rolled on here and said "dude. We're lowering the poison resist. Calm the **** down."

However, we also should never have flipped out without being more-sure of what was changing.

What I often see on these boards is, in effect, irrational cheer-leading in reverse. The change of direction does not somehow in and of itself make it more rational, just we're culturally programmed to think so.

-Galen's player

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Not only relating to golem training, but this train of thought is one of the biggest, if not the biggest issue, in UO.

That's the same methodology that scripters use to justify their actions.

Honestly, I am not necessarily against golem training. I am against that because of the way it is set up that it promotes, nay, encourages AFK training. That is my issue with it. And as I posted before, which is why don't necessarily like 100% LRC either, because that is an avenue for AFK skilling up of casting skills.
IMO there is a HUGE difference in advocating for a process that is not in violation of the TOS that does not effect anyone else's gameplay and promoting scripting.

NuSair

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
IMO there is a HUGE difference in advocating for a process that is not in violation of the TOS that does not effect anyone else's gameplay and promoting scripting.
Again 'that does not effect anyone else's gameplay' is the exact same excuse scripters use to justify their actions. That is a matter of point of view and perception.

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets not divert this into a scripting chat, we all know the spreadsheet has that issue well covered and the mass bannings are just around the corner. Jokes aside this whole issue would be solved with a simple freaking reply from the dev team. One posting saying well we are actually lowering the resist down from 99% to 89% just to make sure that if you want to use them you have to heal it more is all it would have taken to kill the conversation.

Sorry but a simple two seconds is hardly much of a effort and would have made a world of a difference. Have some pride in your job and step up for goodness sake.

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As petra said so eloquintly... sitting there for hours at a go, wacking on a golem is not my idea of fun. I will also note as she pointed out mnay put a book on the space bar and are off reading a book or tv, or surfing the web as they mindlessly have their character pounding away on the poor thing.
First off... might I remind you that is unattended play and a big no no. (sorry my inner C is running about)
Second the main reason you purchased this game was to play right? I dont call standing in one place for hours beating a golem great play time.
Yes I know getting your guy up to speed is the main point for pvp or pvm and you dont have the time to putter around you just want to jump right in and pulverize the others asap!
Well................ your not someone special and while I dread to hurt your little feelings someone needs to wake you up to smell the coffee.
To be blunt the golem is a tool many have used to avoid playing like the rest of us. The dev is just fixing the error so you have to play to gain.
Having a temper tantrum will not make them stop, or bring about a change that returns this to your use. I hate to say this as I am loath to loose any players at this juncture but if this is the last straw .... dont let the door hit you in the fanny as you leave and no I dont want your stuff!
You loose all the good times you could be having in the game just sitting there beating that poor golem....

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lets not divert this into a scripting chat, we all know the spreadsheet has that issue well covered and the mass bannings are just around the corner. Jokes aside this whole issue would be solved with a simple freaking reply from the dev team. One posting saying well we are actually lowering the resist down from 99% to 89% just to make sure that if you want to use them you have to heal it more is all it would have taken to kill the conversation.

Sorry but a simple two seconds is hardly much of a effort and would have made a world of a difference. Have some pride in your job and step up for goodness sake.
Yes, this would have made a world of difference. A change to the resists I can deal with and I have no problems with an anti-afk measure.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As petra said so eloquintly... sitting there for hours at a go, wacking on a golem is not my idea of fun. I will also note as she pointed out mnay put a book on the space bar and are off reading a book or tv, or surfing the web as they mindlessly have their character pounding away on the poor thing.
First off... might I remind you that is unattended play and a big no no. (sorry my inner C is running about)
Second the main reason you purchased this game was to play right? I dont call standing in one place for hours beating a golem great play time.
Yes I know getting your guy up to speed is the main point for pvp or pvm and you dont have the time to putter around you just want to jump right in and pulverize the others asap!
Well................ your not someone special and while I dread to hurt your little feelings someone needs to wake you up to smell the coffee.
To be blunt the golem is a tool many have used to avoid playing like the rest of us. The dev is just fixing the error so you have to play to gain.
Having a temper tantrum will not make them stop, or bring about a change that returns this to your use. I hate to say this as I am loath to loose any players at this juncture but if this is the last straw .... dont let the door hit you in the fanny as you leave and no I dont want your stuff!
You loose all the good times you could be having in the game just sitting there beating that poor golem....
Question for you Storm: were you there back in the day when there were no skill locks and you'd lose your GM status in a skill because you accidentally used a skill you never meant to train up?

Last edited:

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Who's to say I'm not having a good time beating that golem while I am chatting to my friends in my guild? Just because you do not see the golem as fun or playing the game does not make it so.

Firstly, the things that you listed as ways of beating a golem are incorrect. The reason people did it at luna was so you did not have to use a book or some other silly method, the game did not time you out hence I/you/we could chat all night while I watched the health of my golem.

Secondly, who cares what you determine is fun or not. I pay the same fee to play so you can keep your view point of what is or is not fun to your comp and leave my idea of fun to mine.

If I want to get my guy up to speed and you want to take 3 years to do the same who cares? I guess the only person who actually does care is you. I don't and won't give two moments of thought as to how you want to play the game AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT HINDER MY PLAYING.

The idea that I have avoided playing the game in the same way that you have is beyond absurd. You are incorrect in the notion that the golem was a error, it was created with 100 poison resist and then reduced to 99. How is that a error? A error in hindsight?

This game is a MMORPG thus i can play the game as I see fit and you can do so aswell, stop trying to be Stalin and fit us all into your socialist idea of how the game should be played.

Well................ your not someone special and while I dread to hurt your little feelings someone needs to wake you up to smell the coffee.....
I had to edit my posting to re-qoute this speal. I would ask that you explain what it was your were trying to say for I have read and re-read it a few times. What coffee is it that I, and others, need to drink? And why must I do so? Are you telling me that the only correct way to play the game is to take the longest most annoying route to reach the end goal? Is this fact or just your thoughts? Are you telling me that after a decade plus of playing this game and making countless chars using the mechanics given to all of us I have been doing it wrong all this time? Did I break the TOS? I have "puttered" and managed to succeed in the game despite the best efforts of some. Who on earth are you to tell me that I have to "putter" just because you feel it's the best way to play. People like this disgust me, don't worry about my feelings. I've got them well covered.

Last edited:

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you're conclusion is that a person is "close to being afk" and as such is breaking some rule because they "are not playing that character"? Give me a break.
I made it crystal clear in my post, it is not against any rules to be "almost afk" and I certainly did not conclude as much. Reply to what I wrote rather than what you think my thoughts are. Because your mind reading skills need some work...

Clearly they are logged into the game hence they are actually playing the game since they are sending packets to and recieving packets from the server. They had to repair the golem so they must be in the game to do so. This is just another case of I don't like it for some reason and it must be wrong. Take your ball and leave the playground.
That's an interesting definition of "playing" a game. Sending/receiving packets simply means that certain actions are happening, not that you are active in performing them. You do not have to be actively playing that character to repair a golem either. A macro with time between repeats would do quite nicely. Scripters can manage that easy and even answer the GMs. But you're not "actively" playing that character if your attention is on something else e.g., playing a second account alongside it. You'd have a hard time doing anything dangerous on the second account if the first one constantly needed your attention. Sooner or later stuff would die lol.

But hey, use whatever definitions you like, golems are changed :)

Wenchy

Last edited: