• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So Bleak Says No More Bamboo Floor Tiles

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sorry that you feel it was an intended feature of bamboo tiles but that makes absolutely zero sense. Why would one tile be different than all the other floor tiles? Like I said, it doesn't make any sense. Your passion is apparent but you are clearly wrong. I agree that that bamboo tile set has been around a long time. From it's placement in the house customization menu it appears that it's original and came out with AoS. Did it always work the way it does? I don't remember. Why does it load and load whatever is above it and no other floor tile does? Like I said in an earlier post, it's reached a critical mass. So many players are using it that it's affecting the gameplay of other players. That, clearly, is something BS should address.

I'm all for an option to "toggle" loading houses or not loading houses. If it can be done. I doubt they will or want to do it that way though. I doubt they want that amount of data to surge as hundreds or thousands of players pass by a group of houses at the same time.

As far as the granite goes, it's not the crafted stone that's the problem. It doesn't load automatically.

Last edited:

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Can you please also find that publish notes that say those tiles are intentionally added to make items visible without loading the whole house? :rolleyes:

We get that you are super upset, still your arguments are pretty weak.

Enjoy that you had good time while the bug was around. It's a freaking video game lol.
To my knowledge the "feature" was a side effect of implementation. It just "happened". But through the ages, designs and stuff made things increasingly difficult for some people. As noted before, it may just be a side effect from the tiles and not the tiles themselves.

Let's see what gets communicated to us on this issue and not jump to conclusions.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can you please also find that publish notes that say those tiles are intentionally added to make items visible without loading the whole house? :rolleyes:

We get that you are super upset, still your arguments are pretty weak.

Enjoy that you had good time while the bug was around. It's a freaking video game lol.
Don't disagree about them fixing it but... can you show me where in the publish notes that it says they are not to be used for that? It is odd that they 1. designed them to do this and 2. have allowed them to do so for a very long time.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Don't disagree about them fixing it but... can you show me where in the publish notes that it says they are not to be used for that? It is odd that they 1. designed them to do this and 2. have allowed them to do so for a very long time.
The DEVs don't really play UO and I'm willing to bet don't ever go to Atl on a regular basis and surely not from their home PC and therefore are most likely to have ZERO clue about the abuse of the tile... and you all have to admit that over the years as word has spread to more and more of you all with your abuse of these tiles the problem has IMO gotten FAR out of hand... where before it may have been 2 or 3 here or there using it ... the problem has EXPLODED to include tons of people everywhere using it more and more and more... to the point where it's killing the game for many people and people are using it IMO on purpose to that effect.

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LOLOLOLOL, There is literally no argument that can be made against this. If this was intended, then all tiles would allow it and it doesn't. The double boss on the roof was around for a few years, does that mean it was intended too, or when you could buff your stats from vendors (that bug was around for almost a decade before it was fixed).

And FYI, every granite house and rares building is a complete eyesore. The EM system is still the most corrupt thing in the game, easily proven by the fact that when you go to a event and you see less they 25 people, the corrupt people know there isn't going to be a drop ahead of time. How is it they know this information beforehand huh??!! How do they know what the slayers are for what they are fighting?? How do they know to avoid the first 4-8 monsters cause only the final boss drops the item?? I can give you some names but that's against TOS. Some are prominent members of these forums and people think they are trustworthy, truth is they are the most corrupt people in the game.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
LOLOLOLOL, There is literally no argument that can be made against this. If this was intended, then all tiles would allow it and it doesn't. The double boss on the roof was around for a few years, does that mean it was intended too, or when you could buff your stats from vendors (that bug was around for almost a decade before it was fixed).

And FYI, every granite house and rares building is a complete eyesore. The EM system is still the most corrupt thing in the game, easily proven by the fact that when you go to a event and you see less they 25 people, the corrupt people know there isn't going to be a drop ahead of time. How is it they know this information beforehand huh??!! How do they know what the slayers are for what they are fighting?? How do they know to avoid the first 4-8 monsters cause only the final boss drops the item?? I can give you some names but that's against TOS. Some are prominent members of these forums and people think they are trustworthy, truth is they are the most corrupt people in the game.
1/2 the EMs are in the Rares community... we all know that... isn't a secret. And pretty sure they all tell one another everything.

And your right no one else gives a rats about all the crap they have in their house... I have such a house right next to my Luna house on GLs... which doesn't use any unsightly bamboo tiles to force anyone to look at anything in it... but right next door and even across the street are two that do... and the lag is horrible. Not to mention the crap is fugly.

I agree about giving them a shard but they already have one... its called Atlantic. That's where a majority of them live, save for the 1/2 a dozen or so that sadly live on Great Lakes.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And FYI, every granite house and rares building is a complete eyesore. The EM system is still the most corrupt thing in the game, easily proven by the fact that when you go to a event and you see less they 25 people, the corrupt people know there isn't going to be a drop ahead of time. How is it they know this information beforehand huh??!! How do they know what the slayers are for what they are fighting?? How do they know to avoid
Our EM posts this in the monthly shedule of events, which is RP and which is drop...cuts down on the wwhining when there isn't a drop

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally think EM events, the ones with a drop anyway, should occur at exactly the same time across all American shards. Make the shard hoppers pick and chyoose which event they want to attend...instead of a select few making a lviing by doing them all. Just a thought, ya know

Great DC

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I personally think EM events, the ones with a drop anyway, should occur at exactly the same time across all American shards. Make the shard hoppers pick and chyoose which event they want to attend...instead of a select few making a lviing by doing them all. Just a thought, ya know
They should either get rid of them or give everyone a drop who attends. Stop feeding the corrupt, it does nothing but spawn more corruption.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Some of you folks make my argument for me :) If your making new floor tiles and adding them at the same time as other floor tiles you would use that exact same code. Even if you were just making this specific tile you'd still cut and paste the old code. Only makes sense. It's quick and easy. You wouldn't make a special tile with a special feature by accident. Plain as day on that. ALSO isn't it just odd this feature was added to probably the ugliest tile in the game very very few people would ever pick? The team has never called it an exploit. The feature has been around and talked about FOREVER. You never heard of it? Did you *never* think... wow that house loads lol? It may have been a wink wink nod nod feature they didn't advertise but there's no reasonable way this was some freak accident. I can't imagine anyone even possibly thinking anyone believes this is an exploit. Nonsense. That's just facts.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
BTW Google Passmark. It's a free program (for a few uses then they want money) and it will show you where the problems are with your computer so you can get an idea what needs to be upgraded or replaced. It will analyze your processor, video card etc. If your system isn't in the green you can always play Facebook Gameroom probably.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mine has been dropped by Windows, no longer supported.
Chrome quit updating for it.
Firefox no longer has updates for it.
Drivers are no longer being updated for it.

But it will play both clients...so all those who can't play around Luna (anyone should expect some lag in LUna, fer cryin out loud)

Nuttin gonna be perfect

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Our EM posts this in the monthly shedule of events, which is RP and which is drop...cuts down on the wwhining when there isn't a drop
We are lucky to have an EM that does events. Many players from the forums appear on LS those nights.

The more play styles the more players!

The players on LS have to fill out reports for all the events turn them in to the RBG leader. Then we will get promoted in the RBG. The first promotion cycle is on the one year anniversary. We should get something good for doing the whole role play event for a year! Our EM is role playing the exploits of a Farmers Daughter who has been abducted each week by different things. We have better telescopes in the game so now she has been abducted by Aliens!

:cheerleader: The EMs and community leaders that benefit their shards! :cheerleader:

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Coding is more complicated than simply cut & paste. Sure cut & paste can be used for multiple exact lines of code. That doesn't mean a tiny mistake couldn't have been made and overlooked. It only takes an extra or a missing, comma, colon, parenthesis, zero or whatever, to screw up a line of code up. Coding while you're tired, nodding off a little and hit the backspace key, etc.

There could be many reasons why and how this tile acts differently from the rest. What is certain though is that NONE of the developers have EVER intended for the contents of a house to load and/or display UNLESS you walked onto the steps of the house. That much is clear. It's always been that way from a bandwidth performance perspective. So the bamboo tile obviously violates that premise.

Not many people used the bamboo tile in the past because, as you stated yourself, it's probably the ugliest floor tile there is. So people didn't use it. Regardless I'm sure some players still discovered it's unusual property of causing the contents of a house to display and word slowly spread. Then goza mats were introduced and you could use this ugly tile and simply cover it up with a goza mat. So then more players started using them and word continued to spread. Then in 2014 craftable granite was introduced for castles & keeps and people realized they could use the stone pavers to cover the ugly bamboo floor tiles and word spread. So here we are today with hundreds of houses per shard abusing this floor tile and the worst is where many houses are congregated together such as in Luna or other popular spots and it's affecting the gameplay of other players.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Been pretty lucky on Legends with EMs. Erebus is good, we've also had Avalon, Helios (brought us some great olympics) Tashik, and some others.
Also had a couple of losers whom I won't name. But overall it's been a good thing.
For us anyway

leet

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Some of you folks make my argument for me :) If your making new floor tiles and adding them at the same time as other floor tiles you would use that exact same code. Even if you were just making this specific tile you'd still cut and paste the old code.
Bamboo flooring is considered a 'bridge' in the code.
All other house floors in the menu are not.
That is the only difference, and likely the reason they show everything above its Z axis

petemage

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well, if its their intended use, the OP has nothing to worry about ;) I firmly disagree that not naming bugs apriori is equal to "intended behaviour" though.

I don't find it odd that they step in when a situation gets out of hand. Many posters here did a good job describing how it became more and more of an issue. If it was only some rando in the swamps doing it nobody would step in. But some had to push it further and further..

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
how many people think this will really help stop lag around houses on atl. I sometimes have anyway and on many houses I can see stuff without the bamboo tiles. just a waste of devs time, I lag bad sometimes when a pub is on test center and/or when patches are applied before pub comes out. if they really cared about lag, it should be addressed at events, dang multi account users lol. I bet more people complain about lag at events than houses with floor tiles. houses don't seem to lag me out, just some people lol.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Like @Giggles I took the PassMark bait as well... I don't think my PC is a problem:
upload_2019-2-16_7-33-47.png

and mind you this was done while running Black Desert Online in the Background as well as this website.

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I ran Passmark and it penalized me 72% because my monitor won't do 3940x2100-something (1920x1080 is max setting I can do). Don't like when you test for something the hardware cannot handle - I consider that an unfair benchmark. System omponent limits should be taken into account when gathering the initial data.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I run 4k Ultra on an LED 49" Sony TV... doesn't slow any of my games... However, UO looks like POOP... pixilated and nasty... but I expected that. However watching Netflix and playing Black Desert it's awesome...

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I took a stroll around Luna on Atlantic. Some jerkiness here and there, but nothing that I have even noticed before. Someone mentioned that they lag around Yew gate. I suspect this is the real problem here. Yet another case of PvPers imposing their problems on the rest of UO population.
Just in case - I don't have a Luna house, I don't have an auction safe, I don't have a single vendor, and until this issue I was not even aware of this quality of bamboo mats.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I ran Passmark and it penalized me 72% because my monitor won't do 3940x2100-something (1920x1080 is max setting I can do). Don't like when you test for something the hardware cannot handle - I consider that an unfair benchmark. System omponent limits should be taken into account when gathering the initial data.
Yeah these tests are kinda bs very often. I use them as more of a guide. Areas I look at to determine if it's really an issue or not. The real test is how the system is running. What I would consider the weakest link in my system is the GTX 760 but passmark rates it very well. But I still want the GTX 1060. Nvidia has a whole new line of cards coming out and I'm wondering if the 1060/70/80 are finally going to drop in price cause they have been out forever. But I'll probably just get a decent 1060 for like 300 bucks. I won't be paying $1500 for Nvidias new line of cards for sure lol. Any game that requires a $1500 video card I don't think is going to be a very popular game.