• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So any luck, luring people into fel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Huh? Other than malagastte, who's saying it's not? I guess you might mean the PKs, though
Nay. Was speaking about the ones that take it so seriously. Getting pked is literally no different than dying to an ogre and having your things rummaged.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Nay. Was speaking about the ones that take it so seriously. Getting pked is literally no different than dying to an ogre and having your things rummaged.
Oh, of course. Well then I'll paraphrase the following lines from my post.

According to another post on another thread Pks are such advanced players that what they say about the game should be done because they know best. Also, according to this very thread, they're the ones that are attempting to lure others to play like they do ("lure" is an exact quote from the original poster).

So, clearly it's them taking it too seriously and not treating it like a game. No one from my side (got to be another way to phrase that....) but malagastte, and it's very depressing to see someone I seemingly agree with on so much be trolled so successfully, is saying this isn't a game. But rather some of us treat it like a game, but some of us seem to find it fun to treat it otherwise, by trying to "lure" people into certain playstyles.

This thread is a troll attempt and it's been a very good one, caps off to the original poster on that level, especially since he later claimed it was just a joke but only after he'd started the fight.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Actually he / they did.

You know what else Garriott envisioned for UO ? Real Money Transactions.

Garriott publicly stated .. paraphrase.. he dreamed of players earning a living off of UO!
Posts like this cause a problem for me in that I want to maintain a lack of negativity in order to continue to help build a positive community on Stratics, but when someone says things that are factually incorrect, how do you say so without being by definition negative! I can't not say anything as then the liars would have a field day. (Edit, not an accusation against the original poster but, rather, a factual statement: in a world where no one could point out someone being incorrect, then liars by definition win every argument.)

I can't speak to the players earning a living off of UO, but it doesn't sound right. I couldn't immediately find links to prove or disprove what you're saying. It does NOT fit what I've read about the man before and interviews I've seen.

But the more important part of your post is this: Regarding the founders of the game envisioning a wild west environment?

Here's two of them, starting at about 3 minutes in, indicating how much the PvP thing surprised (their word) and dismayed (my interpretation of them) them.

Definitely not an indication that the wild wild west was intended. At around 7 they start to get nostalgic but their early dismay is clear: Again, showing that you're incorrect about what was intended. (at 8:28 they joke that they should connect UO and "massochists online.") At around 11 they say that UO taught other MMOs where to limit the "more interesting things that actually cause damage." (Regarding the nostalgia they feel I note that it's easy to feel nostalgic for difficulty and hard to live through it. A better alternative is not to be forced to live through it, especially given that this is just a game, as others have pointed out.)

Also note Shroud of the Avatar, a Garriot game:

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

having seemingly limited PvP. If he intended the Wild Wild West why didn't he try it again?

Also note that he was still around in the game when they made Trammel, so clearly he was involved in that.

Also note this "memorable moment" from UO from him, called "The Thief."

Memorable Moments from Richard Garriot – Ultima Online

indicating he was actually surprised at what you incorrectly say that he intended: the wild wild west element. After the incident he described he says: "After that, I began to think more carefully about the rules we ourselves put in the game, and the inevitable play styles that would come of it."

All in all that one statement about real money I have not much to say about yet but that other things about the wild west being part of the vision? There's every indication that you're simply incorrect on the facts.

I hope that it isn't being too negative to point this out but I can't really let an incorrect fact slip by either!

I don't believe those two men were programmers of Ultima Online.

"7:18 this is the great thing about PvP." They were talking about how (possibly for the first time) a group formed to fight the pk's that were extorting towns folk. the Anti pk's formed their own unofficial guild dressing in the same outfit colors. This I believe to be part of the hopes from the founders of what the game could become.

I don't take your post as negative, I take it as a differing opinion with open discussion.

To make a claim one is a liar is a bit over the top. I know this is the Internet and you don't know me but I assure you that this is my recollection of things as I experienced them from playing this game for over 20 years and "news, press releases, chats and forums" over those years.

Anyway- cheers I thought the OP was funny! To paraphrase Gordon Walton - chillax enjoy the game.

Last edited:

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wow, okay, it's enough!

I intended this to be a lighthearted thread, but misjudged how UHall would recieve it. My bad. I walked away from it, once it became toxic. But now that we are beyond personal attacks and get in to serious political and moral territory, a mod should please close this thread! There's neither fun nor information to be gained here.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You sound surprised. Im surprised you're surprised. You cough on uhall to something that is borderline griefing and expected a different outcome?

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Wow, okay, it's enough!

I intended this to be a lighthearted thread, but misjudged how UHall would recieve it. My bad. I walked away from it, once it became toxic. But now that we are beyond personal attacks and get in to serious political and moral territory, a mod should please close this thread! There's neither fun nor information to be gained here.
Take everything with a grain of salt. We are a very passionate group and you just happened to step in this months poo flinging subject :)

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I think this thread is better off retired at this point..

*click*

Status
Not open for further replies.