• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

So any luck, luring people into fel ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
... by placing a red moongate near the valentines statue? :D

(No success so far for me ;))

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
... by placing a red moongate near the valentines statue? :D

(No success so far for me ;))
If you spam in gen chat about free valentine gifts at fel yew gate... they will come :D

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On Drachs this is especially tempting as the EM (or whoever) placed red gates to get to the roof and back from the luna blacksmith. So, naturally I placed a red gate in a different corner ;), but I guess I'm too impatient, Drachenfels is too empty and people are always as dumb as you think.

Attachments

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
When we all lived in the same landmass and more populated. That was a common diversion, walk into a gate that just popped up at the bank. Was always fun.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
this really is the only way they can get people 2 their lifestyle. is like store no 1 wants 2 shop at that tries 2 trick people into thinking is other store.

edit: maybe OP should do tutorial on griefing, since he also posted thread about tutorials.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Good luck with your Griefing.
tutorial on griefing
Red gates appear around Luna Often. Usually it is someone going to and from their castle.

First the innocent has to cohere with the gate, which takes a bunch of tries. Then they get a warning pop up.

You cant accidentally walk in a red gate or be forced in one.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you can't get into your own gate. use Telekinesis on it. Can't remember who taught me that one, but my god was it a life saver.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Red gates appear around Luna Often. Usually it is someone going to and from their castle.

First the innocent has to cohere with the gate, which takes a bunch of tries. Then they get a warning pop up.

umm.....yes u can. not sure how often it can occur or under what circumstances! but u can. seen it happen when people throw gates in the middle of crowds at EM events. if it couldn't happen at all then doubt these folks would waste their time.

Merion

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Good luck with your Griefing. Hopefully you’ll get reported for it.
Oh come on, it's a joke! I did that for like 2-3 gates and even if someone walked in there, I would probably have known him and chatted instead of fighting him. And even I would have had a legit 'victim' I would have gone the roleplay route and demanded some gold or magic item for his life instead of just ganking him.

Also as someone pointed out, you'll get warning if you go through a gate to fel. So please, chill out.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
umm.....yes u can. not sure how often it can occur or under what circumstances! but u can. seen it happen when people throw gates in the middle of crowds at EM events. if it couldn't happen at all then doubt these folks would waste their time.
I can see it happen at an EM event. Ours uses red gates to go from place to place. Sometimes you have to dbl clk a symbol she drops ( I hate that. Spend time going back and forth to help those that have trouble seeing or reading the type)

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
More fun was the jokers on Europa who put tons of runes on the ground around Luna labeled "Pet clearance, low prices" that went to heavy trammel dungeon spawn points. Gotta admit my poor smith in training trying to find a cheap fire beetle fell for that one... Said jokers wouldn't res you and just laughed as you had to run out of the dungeon to get a res.

I made it my mission to toss all of those runes into the trash can as fast as they dropped more until they got bored and gave up. Took a while tho... ;)

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Dont try and pull that BS. What we are talking about here is a conscious effort to trick someone with the sole purpose of exploiting the situation. Its griefing. Pipe down and stop trying to justify your toxic playstyle.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Players in uo have been sheltered and coddled for going on 20 years yet some still kick scream and cry about things like this. Apparently all this sheltering and coddling hasn't helped them learn common sense. Oh how my heart goes out to all these "victims". Give me a break it's a video game. Acknowledge and go on.

DSC Napa

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Players in uo have been sheltered and coddled for going on 20 years yet some still kick scream and cry about things like this. Apparently all this sheltering and coddling hasn't helped them learn common sense. Oh how my heart goes out to all these "victims". Give me a break it's a video game. Acknowledge and go on.
I think the term you are looking for is persecutory delusions aka victim complex.

This game has some serious issues, lets focus on those, shall we?

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Luring. LOL. Maybe if the red gate was in the form of a Chevy van.....playing ice cream music.......

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sure tell you haven't played UO for almost 20 years.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Are you trying to say the game hasn't been extremely and repeatedly watered down and dumbed down since around 2000? Do i even need to list a few of the many many things that have been put in the game to protect players from other players? The fact is no one is ever forced to be pked or robbed inside of game mechanics. For someone to complain that they were is ludicrous.

Last edited:

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Yet it is also ludicrous that people have actually being lured to Fel just to have a death robe handed to them. I agree maybe they were naive, but what decrepid deranged and derelict mindset would just PK these people? Let that sink in a little..In game we try to help the little guy, give $, items, pets information etc. etc. What is the mind set that would just PK someone they lured to Fel under false pretenses?

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's a game where one has the ability to play as they see fit. Help the little guy that's fine. Pk someone, that's fine too.. No one is deranged for killing another player. If someone goes thru a red gate it's either intentional or a learning experience. Nothing more nothing less. Sure luring is a little shady but there's more than enough safeguards in the game. It's a game, people need to remember that. If it causes emotional distress to someone, perhaps that player should go outside and fly a kite or something.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
It's a game where one has the ability to play as they see fit. Help the little guy that's fine. Pk someone, that's fine too.. No one is deranged for killing another player. If someone goes thru a red gate it's either intentional or a learning experience. Nothing more nothing less. Sure luring is a little shady but there's more than enough safeguards in the game. It's a game, people need to remember that. If it causes emotional distress to someone, perhaps that player should go outside and fly a kite or something.
Agree..Also any player who wants to play a game, ought to at least read up on it a little, both in the forums and also heed the built-in warnings..They are there for a reason. Not every one is as pretty and nice as they seem while bank sitting at luna. So if they invite you to "watch a fight or something cool" be aware that you are going in the red gate not to watch, but be PK'd..( All 5 people that got in got PK'ed by the way -- learning curve ) :)

Fingers

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sounds like a butthurt comment because TRAMS is way more full than FEL......with NO NEED to lure or lie. PS....."learn common sense"...."Give me a break it's a video game".......seem entirely contradictive to me. Id love to be coddled.....do I purchase a token from the store for that or ?[/QUOTE]

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Are you trying to say the game hasn't been extremely and repeatedly watered down and dumbed down since around 2000? Do i even need to list a few of the many many things that have been put in the game to protect players from other players? The fact is no one is ever forced to be pked or robbed inside of game mechanics. For someone to complain that they were is ludicrous.
So you don't remember when UO was Fel only.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Gasp. I'm utterly shocked to how this thread played out...

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My point is that it's amazing how angry people are about how the game was 17 years ago. Even with all the safeguards certain people get irate that there is still pking,, theft, and other fun stuff. If you don't like it, who cares? It's all consensual. If going thru a red gate is somehow accidental, it should be a one time thing. If going thru red gates is such a problem for someone maybe they should try playing checkers or something instead. Scratch that someone will jump your pieces. I dont lure people myself but if someone does and a player falls for it I blame the player that fell for it. It's not complicated. If it's going to cause you emotional distress don't go thru a red gate.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My point is that it's amazing how angry people are about how the game was 17 years ago. Even with all the safeguards certain people get irate that there is still pking,, theft, and other fun stuff. If you don't like it, who cares? It's all consensual. If going thru a red gate is somehow accidental, it should be a one time thing. If going thru red gates is such a problem for someone maybe they should try playing checkers or something instead. Scratch that someone will jump your pieces. I dont lure people myself but if someone does and a player falls for it I blame the player that fell for it. It's not complicated. If it's going to cause you emotional distress don't go thru a red gate.
I guess I'm just weird in that I think it's wrong to attempt to scam, deceive, or otherwise actively harm the gameplay experience someone even if it's difficult to do. As it turns out, however, in this case it's easier to do than it should be with gates due to their being buggy and not operating in a consistent manner. This is a lot like the "trade scam" thread we had recently.

Many apologies if this post is too negative for the PK folks who enjoy luring/scamming/deceiving/etc., but I suppose it's hard to stand up against luring/scamming/deceiving/etc. without being considered negative.

dukarlo

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess I'm just weird in that I think it's wrong to attempt to scam, deceive, or otherwise actively harm the gameplay experience someone even if it's difficult to do. As it turns out, however, in this case it's easier to do than it should be with gates due to their being buggy and not operating in a consistent manner. This is a lot like the "trade scam" thread we had recently.

Many apologies if this post is too negative for the PK folks who enjoy luring/scamming/deceiving/etc., but I suppose it's hard to stand up against luring/scamming/deceiving/etc. without being considered negative.
At least your not all emotional and your not just trolling. The fact is anything goes in Fel as long as the game mechanics allow it. Personally I despise cheat programs and the players that use them. About the only time I ever go to trammel facets is to buy something off vendor search or to buy something. I enjoy the one upmanship in Fel. This includes pvp stealing, pking, looting.etc. sometimes you win some and lose some. I started playing pre trammel and the fact that the game was like the wild west is what drew me and many others to uo. Even with all debachery many long time friendships have been made. Fel definitely could use some love as it's always been the forgotten facet.

The Craftsman

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The fact is anything goes in Fel as long as the game mechanics allow it
I don’t think anything goes as exploiting game mechanics can be against the TOS if it constitutes griefing, in some circumstances. However, you’re completely missing the point. This ISNT IN Felucca. It’s exploiting game mechanics in Trammel to deliberately trick someone into entering Felucca, which they have no desire to do.

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
At least your not all emotional and your not just trolling. The fact is anything goes in Fel as long as the game mechanics allow it. Personally I despise cheat programs and the players that use them. About the only time I ever go to trammel facets is to buy something off vendor search or to buy something. I enjoy the one upmanship in Fel. This includes pvp stealing, pking, looting.etc. sometimes you win some and lose some. I started playing pre trammel and the fact that the game was like the wild west is what drew me and many others to uo. Even with all debachery many long time friendships have been made. Fel definitely could use some love as it's always been the forgotten facet.
Actually, no one is trolling except for the original poster and those who speak in support of him.

Your post doesn't really have to do with the subject of the thread which is "so any luck luring people into Fel," and the reference in the first post is to strategic placing of a red moongate. In other words it's about an attempt to scam.

Again I'm sorry if any PKs interpret this as negative but, to me, speaking out against such things isn't negative -- it's speaking out against things that hinder Stratics's ability to build a positive community. If it's negative to speak out against scams and such then, gosh, we really are doomed, aren't we.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Actually, no one is trolling except for the original poster and those who speak in support of him.

Your post doesn't really have to do with the subject of the thread which is "so any luck luring people into Fel," and the reference in the first post is to strategic placing of a red moongate. In other words it's about an attempt to scam.

Again I'm sorry if any PKs interpret this as negative but, to me, speaking out against such things isn't negative -- it's speaking out against things that hinder Stratics's ability to build a positive community. If it's negative to speak out against scams and such then, gosh, we really are doomed, aren't we.
Yes we are doomed... Greed has killed UO. All anyone can think of is how to take things from other people instead of building a community, helping their fellow players and having a good time... but I guess some people can't have a good time if it isn't at the expense of others.

And then these same people wonder why the population is dwindling.... Shocking I know.

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Half you people live UO. Its just a game.

I remember falling victim to pks thru a gate to a boat in the middle of nowhere back when help stuck meant you watched your body turn to bones and then disappear.

Now that you mention it, I do have extra vollums, pardons and I am getting bored...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

I remember falling victim to pks thru a gate to a boat in the middle of nowhere back when help stuck meant you watched your body turn to bones and then disappear.

Now that you mention it, I do have extra vollums, pardons and I am getting bored...
To me it's not just a Game.... UO is like my Facebook, my community, my family, and my friends... it's like Cheers... Where everyone knows your name. It's been with me through raising 2 children alone, been with me through the death of both of my parents, my grandma, and countless others... it's been with me through happy and sad times. And that is what UO is...

Scumbags who want to ruin that community and tear down friendships, by being anti-social jerks... whatever... there are enough of those people IRL shooting up our schools, killing our children and everything else... I don't need that **** in a game I play to escape that...

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To me it's not just a Game.... UO is like my Facebook, my community, my family, and my friends... it's like Cheers... Where everyone knows your name. It's been with me through raising 2 children alone, been with me through the death of both of my parents, my grandma, and countless others... it's been with me through happy and sad times. And that is what UO is...

Scumbags who want to ruin that community and tear down friendships, by being anti-social jerks... whatever... there are enough of those people IRL shooting up our schools, killing our children and everything else... I don't need that **** in a game I play to escape that...
Did you seriously just compare a PK to a school shooter? :coco:

It's taken me a minute to get out of shock at that comparison and to stop laughing. I just don't know how to respond to someone that plays a violent combat based game but is against violence in the game. Maybe a Sims type non combat community based game would be more your style?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

It's taken me a minute to get out of shock at that comparison and to stop laughing. I just don't know how to respond to someone that plays a violent combat based game but is against violence in the game. Maybe a Sims type non combat community based game would be more your style?
Violent combat... Killing NPC Mobs is not violent combat. RPPvP is not violent combat... Sims while fun.... somewhat... has NO community... If I wanted to play a single player game I'd do that...

FYI I don't think Garriott intended UO to be the "wild wild west".... that it became... hence them attempting to make being a PK have drawbacks... and be discouraged... with things like murder counts and such... but that didn't stop anyone... creating Trammel stopped that non-sense...

And Yes I did compare the two... and many are comparing "violence" in games to violence IRL... and looking to see if there is some sort of connection...

People like you should hope they don't find one... or games will become a whole heck of a lot less "fun" for you.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

And if you really want to get technical I said there was enough violence IRL I don't need all that in-game..... I play to escape all that.

I didn't say that in-game violence leads to school shootings or anything...

Perhaps you should read my post... rather than jump to silly conclusions about it...

That's not to say that I don't think some games don't promote or at least dull peoples senses to such violence... like 1st person shooters and such. But a whole lot of people tend to encourage that sort of insanity without video games. There have been mass murderers for centuries... none of them played violent video games... Betting Jack the Ripper never did...

And if you play UO for violence then I guess you can't see how others can play it and not think it's violent... Believe it or not there are tons of people who play UO who actually do NOT even hunt or kill anything at all...

Anonymous UOPlayer

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Huh? Other than malagastte, who's saying it's not?

I guess you might mean the PKs, though, because according to another post on another thread Pks are such advanced players that what they say about the game should be done because they know best; and because according to this very thread they're the ones that are attempting to lure others to play like they do ("lure" is an exact quote from the original poster), so clearly it's them taking it too seriously and not treating it like a game.

So I guess that might be what you meant.

Just the same as the behavior it sought to glorify, this thread seemingly was started with the intent not of building a positive community but rather of being divisive and unfortunately it has, on that level, succeeded.

Status
Not open for further replies.