• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Ship Access

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Please post any issues/comments regarding ship access

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do I grant access to my new ship to other players?
  • Left click once on the player you want to grant access to and choose "Grant Access" from the context menu. Note: Once a player has been granted access to your boat, they will be able to drive using the wheel. They will not be able to give commands to the Tillerman. However, once someone has taken the wheel, the Tillerman will not function until mouse driving mode is disabled.
Uhm, just because I grant access to my ship doesn't mean I want that person to be able to navigate it. Bad design.

I absolutely gurantee this will be used to grief, especially during EM events using the new content.

Granting access should allow someone to board, there should be another context option to allow someone to steer.

Change this. Change this now. :thumbsup:

The ship’s owner can sieze the ships control from another passenger at any time.
Not good enough. If the ship owner stops the boat to do something, nobody else should be able to steer unless the owner has expressly allowed them to.

People. Will. Use. This. To. Grief.

------​
Another needed feature for boats is an 'open boarding' option so large groups can be easily and quickly accomodated.

This will be especially needed for EM events. Last thing the EMs are going to want to do is have to try to quickly access the context menus of unruly ADHD players who can't stand still and like to stack on top of each other.

Again, only the boat owner or their specifically designated navigator would be allowed to steer.

-----​

An eject or 'walk the plank' feature is also a good idea so unruly players can be sent back to shore or cast adrift in a temporary dinghy.

We had a fun pirate event on GL a while back that got stalled for a good 10 mins while boat issues were sorted out, including a griefer who kept casting field spells on the water which kept the boat penned in. While fielding may be a legitimate tactic, it ground the event to a halt as everyone tried to swap boats to ditch the fielder.

Please give us, and by extension the EMs, the power to manage our 'crew' with some authority.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ship’s owner can sieze the ships control from another passenger at any time.
Not good enough. If the ship owner stops the boat to do something, nobody else should be able to steer unless the owner has expressly allowed them to.
Um ... so as long as the owner dbl clicks to steer, the owner is in control. And if someone tries to steer it, the owner can resume control.

So, where's the problem? ...

During EM events the EM can just pull players onto the boat instead of adding them to the list, no?

T-Hunt

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not sure if this counts...
I have my ship way out from marcket...out of view and can not use key to recall onto it.
Keeps saying can not locate said ship..
Tryed to go find it with a rowboat after and knew were it was and could not find..

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I trash the boat rune after dry dock, but when I put the boat again into the water I didn't get another rune :/

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can mark new runes on the boats, and recall to them.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People can access my boat and hold without being given guest access. Tokuno Boat.

Podolak

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guests can't recall to the Tokuno or Gargoyle boat across facets. The owner can. Guests can recall to the boats if they are on the same facet. The error given is no access granted.

Correction: Someone with guest access could recall from Moonglow gate to my boat which was docked in south Moonglow. They could NOT recall from New Haven to my boat.

Also I could not cast gate travel on the boat rune.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there an item or weight cap in the ship's hold? Would be nice to see item and weight counts when opening up the hold.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I bought a regular ship in Britain to sail to the Emporium, set sail from south Moonglow.

Soon there was no land/landmarks in sight so I decide maybe I should get a sextant and recall to Britain.

While searching shops to buy a sextant I see a gate appear in front of Brit Bank, everyone else is going in it so I hope it's to the new city and go in.

It is! Yay.

I get a fishing quest then a new Tokuno ship deed and a rowboat deed and I try to mark a rune but magic doesn't work here.

I try to place the new Tokuno ship deed even though there really isn't any room around the docks and I get the message 'You already have a ship deployed!'

Oh yes forgot my original boat I left some where in the middle of the ocean.

Oh well I will just recall off the boat key and go sail it til I find land and dock it.

Can't recall from here?

So I launched the rowboat thinking maybe if I sailed away from the no magic zone I'd be able to recall to my old ship.

I get the message my old ship can't be located when I try to recall off it's key.

I recall to Brit again and run to Moonglow to try to launch my new Tokuno boat.

You already have a ship deployed!

I try to recall off the key to the ship that is already deployed.

The ship could not be located.

What would help me most right now is getting a message that if I launch a new ship my old one will be destroyed.

Destroy yer olde ship and launcheth yer new one?

Aye!

Martyna Zmuir

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Um ... so as long as the owner dbl clicks to steer, the owner is in control. And if someone tries to steer it, the owner can resume control.

During EM events the EM can just pull players onto the boat instead of adding them to the list, no?
Every time the owner stops steering their boat presents an opportunity for someone to grief. That is unacceptably bad design.

During EM events I've deployed a boat and taken over a dozzen random people onboard to get them someplace remote. 9 out of 10 times some a-hole tries to command the boat, fortunately as long as I'm on it they can't.

If something can be griefed, it will be griefed. The Devs need to design out griefable aspects from the start, not implement things with obviously gaping holes.

Getting a large party onto a ship shouldn't require the use of EM powers. The simple suggestions I made in my earlier post would fix this for everyone.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter

Every time the owner stops steering their boat presents an opportunity for someone to grief. That is unacceptably bad design.

During EM events I've deployed a boat and taken over a dozzen random people onboard to get them someplace remote. 9 out of 10 times some a-hole tries to command the boat, fortunately as long as I'm on it they can't.

If something can be griefed, it will be griefed. The Devs need to design out griefable aspects from the start, not implement things with obviously gaping holes.

Getting a large party onto a ship shouldn't require the use of EM powers. The simple suggestions I made in my earlier post would fix this for everyone.
I have to agree. Playing on a shard with tons of greifers I can see where this would go totally 100% wrong very quickly.

Also I left my boat docked at the new shipyard.... I went home to try to make some cannons for it... when I attempted to recall back to my boat... the rune now says Drydock...... and I can't find my ship....

I was actually able to buy and place another ship but I've no idea what happened to the first one.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Please post any issues/comments regarding ship access
Access what ship? It's gone and couldn't be located. Runes don't work either. Logged off (on the ship), came back in the game next to WBB in Trammel. Boat is MIA along with hours of newly gained fish gone as well.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

True, griefers will be griefers. But I say, to the EMs, if you got it, why not flaunt it? Besides, EMs already use that power fairly often to prevent cross-sharders and homers from stock piling event items. I guess the question is would pulling work, or by being on the boat, I wonder if that alone allows someone to "drive" it.

Other than EM events -- and I do wonder if they could use the old boats for those purposes? I think the new boats work fine if you know who you are trusting to sail with, hehe. Of course, there should be a place for mutiny, shouldn't there?

One thing to note is people can't hitch a ride onto your boat via a gate, it results in an error message: "You do not have permission to board this ship." So you can feel free to gate your party into your boat, which is pretty sweet. I'm wondering if this holds up in Fel or not. Peerless boat, hehe.

Pinco

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is a bug:

My friend has the ship access and a rune for it. When I log out he can enter and exit through the ship rope, but if he try to use the rune it says that he has not the permission.

G.v.P

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
here is a bug:

My friend has the ship access and a rune for it. When I log out he can enter and exit through the ship rope, but if he try to use the rune it says that he has not the permission.
Runes have the name of the owner on it, right? Maybe only the owner can use runes.

Jove

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do wish you would fix recalling back to a boat you already have access to. I'm afraid to leave the his ship for fear I can't come back with the recall rune... sometimes I can sometimes I can't, doesn't matter if the boat is moving or not...

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I've found if I manage to recall to my boat with the rune (in the EC) it's always a mess and I can't move... but if I recall to the rune again while I'm standing stuck on the boat it'll materialize for me.. and I'll be able to move again.

Mapper

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I've found if I manage to recall to my boat with the rune (in the EC) it's always a mess and I can't move... but if I recall to the rune again while I'm standing stuck on the boat it'll materialize for me.. and I'll be able to move again.
Also you can double click the wheel to steer, then click it again and the boat will appear.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just started a thread about ship accesses without realising this one was here :p I'll copy and paste what I've put over there.

Last night, I took party from someone in passing, thinking that they needed help or had questions or something. A few minutes later, a friend with access to my ship asked if I'd given this char access. I promptly recalled to the ship and found the char in question happily digging through my hold. I revoked his access, which I didn't realise I'd given him in taking party, and am happy to say that he got himself killed by the spawn of a stolen net, which he threw with the intention of trying to kill me. He did come back oooOOOoooing for a res but got told to naff off.

So, we need to sort out ship accesses, because taking party should NOT give someone access to your ship and your hold - neither should granting someone access to your ship give them access to your hold.

I propose a two tier system, with options in party, as with corpse looting, whereby you can give someone deck access or hold and deck access. That way, the ship owner can decide who gets in and who doesn't. Public decks might also solve the market access problem because it would mean that we could, if owners were good enough to set their decks public, deck hop all the way in.

Z

Zyon Rockler

I would like to see the same thing as they have on house containers. Also, it would be nice if a rune was sent to your bank and into your pack.

Maybe, they could set access to the wheel the same way.

Sometimes it's hard to see the ropes. It might be nice if ropes on the docks could also take you off your ship.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I agree that the hold and the wheel should have access menus like secures in your house.

A

Asherlord

ship runes:
- their name doesn't change and can't be changed at normal way when you rename your ship
(shiprune remains "unnamed ship")
- marking a rune on ship gave me a rune of different color which located ship in Felucca.
By using it it was updated to real position (Trammel)

A

Asherlord

still I can't recall on a ship key ("ship not found"), but I have something better:

sitting on a small standart ship and saying "one back" the guy on a fat new ship beside mine also said "Aye Aye Sir" and moved his ship back.

So: I can control more than one vessel at same time
------------
today my navigator stopped at bucs den, did not make last miles to trinsic, like the map plot told him

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I had a tokuno ship and docked it near the market but a few screens off since there was no room. When i went to recall back to it from the rune supplies it said ship cant be found. I was at the market when I tried to recall to it.

Used the row boat to find the ship but it was gone.

Purchased a dragon ship to look around found nothing. got off the dragon ship at marker and walked around. when i came back the ship was gone and i could t recall to it with key.

Tried to place another Tokuna ship and it wouldn't let me saying i already have one.

Kinda hard to test the new ships when you cant even access them. any status as to a fix or even what is the cause? or what am i doing wrong?

edit:

Just dropped my row boat in and when i started to pilot it with the mouse the boat moved and left me behind standing on the water.. LOL.. now it wont come back to me so I will try to recall away to see if that fixes it .. fyi i was standing on the rope when i tired to pilot it.
Was able to teleport from the water to the dock... funny
naturally I cant see the rope on the row boat to access it because a sail from another boat is blocking it. even circle trans at max doesn't help. guess il just have to walk away to get the roaw boat to reset in my pack.

A

Asherlord

im former days I could control ship by numpad (classic client), wonder why it doesn't work any more.

would be fine if also traditional ships could use new mouse control

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
logged into another account and placed a dragon ship at the market right in a slip against the dock. stepped of and locked it. while on the dock, i tried to recall to it and it said ship cant be found.
unlocked ship and tired to recall again and still couldn't be found.
got on ship tried to recall to it and ship couldn't be found.

C'mon guys you have this test so we can "test" the new ships. At least make a post so we can know whats going on with this access issue.

On a side note, who creates a market place where maybe 20 ships can dock when there would be hundreds of people interested in docking there? All that happens, as seen so far, is that everyone just gets blocked in and no one goes anywhere.:lame:

Wish I could at least go PvP at Yew gate but no one seems to be doing that this test.

Edit:
Went back to my dragon ship that was at the dock and its gone.. And it was locked.. this is the 3rd ship ive lost..funny stuff

May want to put back the other TC1 till you guys get this corrected so we can at least pvp for a while.

Viquire

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that the hold and the wheel should have access menus like secures in your house.
We are updating ship access right now. Mesanna will update everyone with more details soon.

- c
My crew and I enjoyed playing around with the differing levels of access last night. Nice job, the gump might be crafted to look a bit more contextual, but the functionality is there.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There's a HUGE issue with the accesses.

1) I denied access to four people. They were still able to come back on board the ship. The only way I could keep them off was to set the public access to denied. Which leads to ...

2) When I set the public to denied access, my captains can't access the hold or the context menu on the pilot.

3) PLEASE - can we have a similar option to 'eject from house' if the ship is close enough to land to put folks ashore? I couldn't get these guys off my ship and they were, to be frank, a bloody nuisance.

EDIT: I've reread Mesannas post, and see that my first point is working as planned. I have to say that I don't think the public access settings should apply to those on the ranks list. The rest of the points are still the same though :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just spent half an hour with a helpful friend and we have established the following. Just as a note - we're not in the same guild, nor were we partied.

N/A - can board ship, use cannon and access hold freely.

Deny Access - can board the ship, use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Passenger - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Crew - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Officer - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Captain - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

The only way to lock down the ship is to deny public access.

I have to say that if this particular issue isn't resolved, I will, very sadly, not be buying the expansion. There's just too many griefers and thieves out there that WILL take advantage of any security loophole. I don't propose to spend my time getting baits and sorting out cannon supplies only for anyone that fancies it to help themselves.

C

Cal_Mythic

Just spent half an hour with a helpful friend and we have established the following. Just as a note - we're not in the same guild, nor were we partied.

N/A - can board ship, use cannon and access hold freely.

Deny Access - can board the ship, use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Passenger - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Crew - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Officer - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

Captain - can use the cannon and access the hold freely.

The only way to lock down the ship is to deny public access.

I have to say that if this particular issue isn't resolved, I will, very sadly, not be buying the expansion. There's just too many griefers and thieves out there that WILL take advantage of any security loophole. I don't propose to spend my time getting baits and sorting out cannon supplies only for anyone that fancies it to help themselves.
Thank you for looking into this. Some of our changes did not get integrated this patch, and these issues def will be addressed before going live.

For the Officer and Captain those are working as intended. For the others we already have them fixed. :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for looking into this. Some of our changes did not get integrated this patch, and these issues def will be addressed before going live.

For the Officer and Captain those are working as intended. For the others we already have them fixed. :)

Oh goody - I would have been so disappointed if I ended up not getting this expansion! I've been enjoying it immensely so far :)

I do still think though that although the deny public access thing is working as you intended, it shouldn't be that way. Those who have access should have access, irrespective of the public setting. It's a bit like having a private house that won't let people on the friends list through the door!

C

Cal_Mythic

Oh goody - I would have been so disappointed if I ended up not getting this expansion! I've been enjoying it immensely so far :)

I do still think though that although the deny public access thing is working as you intended, it shouldn't be that way. Those who have access should have access, irrespective of the public setting. It's a bit like having a private house that won't let people on the friends list through the door!
Perhaps I was unclear. Typing too fast. We'll get this working so that it makes sense. :)

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Perhaps I was unclear. Typing too fast. We'll get this working so that it makes sense. :)
It could well be the time here in the UK and me having had my head buried in jewellery making for a few hours! I was going on what Mesanna said in her update, which was;

If you set Public to DENY ACCESS then ONLY the OWNER may access the ship. This setting even denies access to those in the access list who are given CAPTAIN access.
Which was the bit I didn't think should work that way. As with a house, if someone is friended to your ship, they should be able to access it, even if the public is denied, just the same as if someone is friended to your private house, they can access that :)

Phoenix_Mythic

UO Legend
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Which was the bit I didn't think should work that way. As with a house, if someone is friended to your ship, they should be able to access it, even if the public is denied, just the same as if someone is friended to your private house, they can access that :)
The access system as seen in the beta test had some issues and was not working as intended. The way it will work when High Seas goes live is this:

1> The Ship Access system only applies to the new ship types.
2> If you do not have the High Seas Booster you are never allowed any access to one of the new ships.
3> The owner always has full control regardless of other settings.
4> If a ship is immobilized, it can be boarded by anyone (so long as they have the Booster). Boarders in Felucca have almost full access; boarders in Trammel have only the right to board.
5> You must have the right to board in order to cast field or summoning spells on the deck of the ship, or to recall/gate to the ship.
6> By default, nobody except the owner has any access to a ship; they must be promoted to it
7> Potential boarders are evaluated with all groups they apply to, and if they're in the Access List then their Access List setting applies as well
8> If any applicable setting is Deny Access then the player is banned from the boat
9> Otherwise, the highest applicable setting is used
10> If the highest applicable setting is N/A then the player does not have access

So:

1> If you set Public access to N/A, then the general public cannot board unless they are in the access list, or are a member of another group (Party/Guild) where that group setting grants access.
2> If you set Public access to Deny, then nobody but the captain has access

The idea is that the Deny Access setting at the Public level is like locking down a firewall, while the N/A setting is secure but for explicit exceptions.

The flexibility of it allows some seemingly nonsensical things. For example, if you set Public to Passenger and Guild to Deny, then the general public EXCEPT members of your guild can come aboard.

Cailleach

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The access system as seen in the beta test had some issues and was not working as intended. The way it will work when High Seas goes live is this:

1> The Ship Access system only applies to the new ship types.
2> If you do not have the High Seas Booster you are never allowed any access to one of the new ships.
3> The owner always has full control regardless of other settings.
4> If a ship is immobilized, it can be boarded by anyone (so long as they have the Booster). Boarders in Felucca have almost full access; boarders in Trammel have only the right to board.
5> You must have the right to board in order to cast field or summoning spells on the deck of the ship, or to recall/gate to the ship.
6> By default, nobody except the owner has any access to a ship; they must be promoted to it
7> Potential boarders are evaluated with all groups they apply to, and if they're in the Access List then their Access List setting applies as well
8> If any applicable setting is Deny Access then the player is banned from the boat
9> Otherwise, the highest applicable setting is used
10> If the highest applicable setting is N/A then the player does not have access

So:

1> If you set Public access to N/A, then the general public cannot board unless they are in the access list, or are a member of another group (Party/Guild) where that group setting grants access.
2> If you set Public access to Deny, then nobody but the captain has access

The idea is that the Deny Access setting at the Public level is like locking down a firewall, while the N/A setting is secure but for explicit exceptions.

The flexibility of it allows some seemingly nonsensical things. For example, if you set Public to Passenger and Guild to Deny, then the general public EXCEPT members of your guild can come aboard.

Thanks, that seems to address the concerns I had. I've been treating the ship in beta like a small, moving house. And it's the ship we've been using to learn about the cannons, repairs, that sort of thing. There's two of us using it on a regular basis, or were, because now I've had to lock it down, to make it secure, no one else can access it. It's put a bit of a crimp in sea battles :p

G

Gowron

I tried to grant access to a friend of mine last night, and I just got cliloc error menus that just had the name of my ship and the name of the person I was trying to grant access to. The rest of the options just said "Error". Very disappointing night.

Nalynn

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was happily sailing along in a medium size boat this morning and apparently hit a server boundary. My boat disappeared, leaving me standing on the water. I tried giving commands such as "back", "right", etc. to no avail. The boat has not reappeared thus far. I tried recalling to the ship key and I get a message saying "The ship cannot be found." If I try to launch a new boat, I get a message saying I already have a boat deployed. There seem to be a lot of bugs with the server boundaries. Hope these will be resolved by next week!