• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling Stratics?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and yeah, it probably wasnt "polite" of me to post stuff in a public forum, but i havent exactly been thrilled with your PC b.s. lately. feel free and delete half this thread, no idea why Ron would even want the discussion of the sale to be public. cant fathom it would increase sales talking on UO hall of all places about what goes on with stratics (which is of course applicable when it comes to thinking about purchasing the site so very on topic)
No worries my good man. It's not a popularity contest. By PC, do you mean politically correct? It's not meant to be pandering. I do try to be polite and level with people as much as I can, despite the risk that those people can potentially throw it in our faces later. Many players thrive on conflict, it's a fact. I prefer to see the good in people though. We all have our faults. God knows that I do. It's all about building a unified, strengthened community right? Is that not the true recipe for success for breathing life into UO? Are we doing that here? Are we even capable?

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I think the current admins are doing great, I haven't been banned once yet.

Who cares if Mesanna likes them or not?

If she's bought the forums she could do whatever she likes, but I don't see that happening.

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Naw... it is pretty much just pure pancakes, Smoot. I am another growing tired of your nonsense.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As far as im concerned if Mesanna dislikes someone, I probably like them, know them, play in game with them. :)

Gamer_Goblin

Sage
Stratics Veteran
our data?? lol
LOL? Ignorance is bliss I guess. It doesn't apply to me because I'm not an idiot, but it's a very simple matter to pull data from a table once you have access. And it's well within many people's wheelhouse to run a script to login. Just because you've changed passwords on Stratics won't protect you either. If you know what table and field to pull you can query and FTP out a dataset and just run a script to find the ones that work. Some random buying the site can do a lot of damage with data. Not to mention if they have other sources too.

I'm sounding paranoid but I'm really not. Many sites and businesses that own sites share information and create profiles of visitors. Why do you think a lot of the free to open email providers now require so much information? It's all to line you up and make sure they are attributing you with all your activity and data to make sure they create accurate profiles of information. It's not as sinister as it sounds because it's mostly just used for advertising, but it could be.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I thought this was a thread about the pending sale of Stratics. I did not realize that slander, libel and hearsay was the topic at hand.
They aren't that's just seems to be the favored sport around here for some reason...

Mr. Kelmo has a point folks can we kinda get this back on track, if you guys want to engage in the Great Stratics Past Time, please start a new thread so a Mod doesn't have to wade through this one to lock it and figure out who infractions should be handed too....

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Interesting development, I just hope a big company like Internet Brands doesn't buy the forum, plaster it with ads and let it die
Used to be a poster on a few large forums which sold out to IB, wasn't a nice experience post buyout.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Now that is an interesting post Adam. Is there chance of that happening?

Luka and I were just discussing where Stratics started and where it is now. Stratics was once ground breaking. Stratics now is a hobby.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to ruin some perfectly good Stratics hate here, but where did Bonnie come out and say that she wasn't fond of our administrators? Is this inside information? Bonnie is generally pretty careful about whom she shares her opinions with, with the added expectation that such individuals would have enough professionalism and respect for her to not repeat such statements publicly. In most cases, such information wouldn't even be known to the player base unless one of the EM's had shared that information in say... Ventrilo.

What EM's talking about things in Vent?? that never happens does it......then people my figure out who they are....and get informations......oh hush now because we know that never happens cause....well cause Bonnie takes that kinda stuff very seriously!! LOL Ok Ok I wont go back down that road.....most of the culprits have moved on or been moved on now anyway!:bdh:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Wish I had time to start a gofundme page
I just visited gofundme.com. Unfortunately, Denmark is not suppoted, so I couldn't start a campaign. It seems to be fairly easy to set up though. :smile2:

Raising the funds should be the easy part of this adventure; forming a new ownership model, not so much.

Or what? Can we do it?

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Now that is an interesting post Adam. Is there chance of that happening?
Hard to tell with IB, they've taken over various sorts of forums, like flyerstalk, various car forums, so hard to say if they'd be interested in this site.
Sure hope not, lol

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I
Or what? Can we do it?
Sounds a bit risky imo, you'd have to bid and win the auction, but you have no idea what it might go for
And if you did win it, you'd then have to crownfund and hope you get the amount you need, assuming the seller would even wait for said crowdfunding to complete
And if you don't, they might sue
Then of course, who would own Stratics? would it be shared ownership? could be a real nightmare if done wrong lol

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
A crowd-funding website provides no legal protection that your contribution is no more than a free donation to the person who set it up. You wouldn't get any ownership percentage anyway. Anyone suggesting "GoFundMe" or other websites would first need to get a legal document together with any potential owners if they were truly considering a group ownership idea.

That said, is anyone on here truly seriously considering purchasing the site?

Last edited:

Piotr

Stratic's Finest
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Awards
Sounds a bit risky imo, you'd have to bid and win the auction, but you have no idea what it might go for
And if you did win it, you'd then have to crownfund and hope you get the amount you need, assuming the seller would even wait for said crowdfunding to complete
And if you don't, they might sue
Well, we could ask Ron Bron for a buyout price and if we could raise that amount within 14 days (auction ends in 21), we'd have a deal. Otherwise, no harm done. Would that be possible?

That said, is anyone on here truly seriously considering purchasing the site?
I do, but like OREOGL put it; "Yeah I'd pitch in but in no way would I want to be responsible for anything."

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I just visited gofundme.com. Unfortunately, Denmark is not suppoted, so I couldn't start a campaign. It seems to be fairly easy to set up though. :smile2:

Raising the funds should be the easy part of this adventure; forming a new ownership model, not so much.

Or what? Can we do it?
I don't think a "group" of owners would be the best route to take. Too many egos. One owner with one vision is best imo.

Spiritless

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just gonna go ahead and post a link to my post 7 months ago about this ownership carousel which we now find ourselves on once again. The same thing is destined to continue repeating itself as per that post ad infinitum until it is bought by someone who understands that Stratics will forever only be a niche website for a near 20 year old game and you're never going to get rich by owning it. It needs to be bought by someone who is willing to run it for the community who isn't worried too much about expansion or profit at this point in order for the constant ownership changes to end. Stratics will never be the next Facebook, Twitch or any of the other kool kidz sites that people flock to no matter how hard you try; it's a place where crazy old people who have been playing UO for 20 years come to pancake about anything and everything and that's it.

I wonder how many forum migrations and new "features" we'll have to put up with by the new ownership this time before they decide to sell up too once they realize Stratics will only ever be Stratics and nothing more, then we'll have to go through it all over again. Fun times.

It's not really unreasonable speculation to suggest Broadsword are unhappy with the Stratics situation. It's turning into a bit of a joke. If I was running a company and one of my primary interaction platforms with my customer-base had these stability issues periodically I wouldn't be happy either. I hope it does spur them on to creating their own platform for community interaction, because a stable and professionally operated community site seems to be something we're lacking at present and the only way Broadsword is going to get one is by biting the bullet and operating one themselves. This is the downside of relying on 3rd party fan sites to do the work for you.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Well, we could ask Ron Bron for a buyout price and if we could raise that amount within 14 days (auction ends in 21), we'd have a deal. Otherwise, no harm done. Would that be possible?
I don't think that would work, he didn't establish a Buyout price when he set up the auction, and now that the reserve he set has been met he's obligated.

Merlin

The Enchanter
Professional
Governor
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I don't think a "group" of owners would be the best route to take. Too many egos. One owner with one vision is best imo.
One owner with a bad vision who doesn't understand Stratics or UO would be even worse. And anyone who would be serious enough to be involved in an ownership group would set a plan to avoid some situation where a bunch of prima donnas are going to try to micro manage minor issues.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you play atlantic, all kinds things are spread about. some rumors, of course.
Some? More like most of them are baseless rumors or conspiracy theories.

All I know is, if Stratics dies Broadsword better have a backup plan. You cant possibly keep an MMO around without any kind of semblance of an official forum. Broadsword/EA have been lucky to depend on Stratics for as long as they have.

As much as I don't like the current state of Stratics, UO DOES need some kind of forum and losing stratics would be a gigantic blow.

Elenni

Stratics Sr. Leadership team member
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I have to point it out because I am a little confused. There does seem to be a conflict of expectations between this:
Just gonna go ahead and post a link to my post 7 months ago about this ownership carousel which we now find ourselves on once again. The same thing is destined to continue repeating itself as per that post ad infinitum until it is bought by someone who understands that Stratics will forever only be a niche website for a near 20 year old game and you're never going to get rich by owning it. It needs to be bought by someone who is willing to run it for the community who isn't worried too much about expansion or profit at this point in order for the constant ownership changes to end. Stratics will never be the next Facebook, Twitch or any of the other kool kidz sites that people flock to no matter how hard you try; it's a place where crazy old people who have been playing UO for 20 years come to pancake about anything and everything and that's it.
and this:
I wonder how many forum migrations and new "features" we'll have to put up with by the new ownership this time before they decide to sell up too once they realize Stratics will only ever be Stratics and nothing more, then we'll have to go through it all over again. Fun times.
and this:
It's not really unreasonable speculation to suggest Broadsword are unhappy with the Stratics situation. It's turning into a bit of a joke. If I was running a company and one of my primary interaction platforms with my customer-base had these stability issues periodically I wouldn't be happy either. I hope it does spur them on to creating their own platform for community interaction, because a stable and professionally operated community site seems to be something we're lacking at present and the only way Broadsword is going to get one is by biting the bullet and operating one themselves. This is the downside of relying on 3rd party fan sites to do the work for you.
I am not trying to be rude, but I am genuinely trying to understand what folks perceive the priorities of Stratics' owners should be. If you feel it should be held to the standards of other "professional" sites, that suggests an owner who would reasonably expect the site to provide an ROI that justifies the necessary investment to maintain 100% up-time, top-of-the-line hosting and equipment, and a paid 24x7 customer support and IT team. Generally speaking, the percentage of content-related websites who bring in enough ad and subscriber revenue to meet those costs is very small.

On the other hand, there is a complaint about new features added, in an attempt to improve the community's experience or options.

And in the first paragraph it is suggested that the site can only ever be a hobbyist's website -- in which case I would think the community would be much more forgiving (if not grateful) to anyone willing to make the financial and labor investment to maintain a site for others to use for free...along with all the volunteers who also contribute their time and effort.

It just seems to me that it would be impossible to meet all three of those sets of expectations.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
All I know is, if Stratics dies Broadsword better have a backup plan
If we get a bad owner, who ruin the forum, I believe most of us would move to UOForums, many of us do still have a login there, so a new owner better care about the community here.

There had been other forums taking care of the UO community in the past, I remember Crossroad, UO Vault and Battle Vortex. I'm sure there was a few more. Also there was a very active PK forum, PK-HQ. Siege also had a few alternative forums over the years.

You cant possibly keep an MMO around without any kind of semblance of an official forum. Broadsword/EA have been lucky to depend on Stratics for as long as they have.
It does not matter for Broadsword if it is Stratics or one of the others out there, they just need to link to the one we choose.

On the other hand, there is a complaint about new features added, in an attempt to improve the community's experience or options.
The forums/side is perfect, Ron did a great job. I'm really sad, he choose to leave us, but we do not own him, so that is his choice :p
It will be very hard to lose some of the features on Stratics if we get a bad owner and have to find an other forum, special the old info and UO history will be hard to lose and I will miss the guild forums

Last edited:

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
All I know is, if Stratics dies Broadsword better have a backup plan. You cant possibly keep an MMO around without any kind of semblance of an official forum. Broadsword/EA have been lucky to depend on Stratics for as long as they have.

As much as I don't like the current state of Stratics, UO DOES need some kind of forum and losing stratics would be a gigantic blow.
UO will be fine without stratics.
Stratics will wither away to nothingness without UO.

A community is a group of people, not a place with a name that they meet at.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
A community is a group of people, not a place with a name that they meet at.
Actually I'd suggest it is both. When the place they live and interact disappears (or they move away from it,) all but those with the very closest of ties tend to lose touch with one another.

Peekay

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Actually I'd suggest it is both. When the place they live and interact disappears (or they move away from it,) all but those with the very closest of ties tend to lose touch with one another.
Plainly put...

You can burn a pub down after hours when it's closed, the regulars who meet up there can and will find another pub to meet up at.
Or
You can burn a pub down with those regulars inside, those regulars, their passion and whatever brought them to meet in that spot is gone.

UO and it's people will love on perfectly fine without Stratics. It's not like stratics is the only forums kicking around and it's not like it's the only way people here have to communicate with one another. Nor is it pre GenChat era anymore.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Sure the lose of Stratics will hurt badly but we still have the game, gen chat, uo.com so we are not all lost. uo.com will link to the place where most move too. We have moved before and we can do it again.
When MyUO forums was lost, it did hit some of us hard but we found our way to Stratics. I know Stratics was born before MyUO forums but at that time, it was not the only UO forum out there.

Elenni

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I won't argue that the loss of Stratics would be "the end of UO;" I don't think that's the case. But it would be a loss. The history, the content, the conversations and contributions are all indelible parts of UO's history (and the history of gaming in general), and have been invaluable to so very many people over the years -- and so I personally feel it would be a terrible shame to see it disappear. It's disappointing to think that some folks might just shrug and move on, considering all the work that people have put into it -- but there you go.

In any case, it's my personal hope it won't come to that. It ain't over til it's over.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Omg this is five pages already now!! Stratics is up for sale big deal. It's changed hands before and I'm sure it will do again!

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Regarding the idea of "crowd funding" or any kind of group ownership, in consideration of the beautiful spirit of cooperation and level of courtesy that has dominated this and other threads throughout Stratics' history.... err... *cough*

Never mind.

AdamPD

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Another potential issue of course, is if it's bought by a freeshard owner.....:eek:
I think most people assume that freeshard owners are kids in their mums basement running a shard for fun, but, there are quite a few out there with considerable resources (money+time) behind them, so it's always a possibility.
Selling the site, with it's history and links to Broadsword on an open market, is definitely risky.

TheScoundrelRico

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see freeshard owners with an interest in Stratics ownership. All of the free shards have their own forums and many have their own wikis. Stratics is good for the paid version of UO, but not really that much for a freeshard.

Personally, I don't understand why freeshard discussion should be banned on a UO discussion forum. I get it, the developers will threaten them with less access, but really, do the dozen of developer posts provided here actually build traffic to this site?...la

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't see freeshard owners with an interest in Stratics ownership. All of the free shards have their own forums and many have their own wikis. Stratics is good for the paid version of UO, but not really that much for a freeshard.

Personally, I don't understand why freeshard discussion should be banned on a UO discussion forum. I get it, the developers will threaten them with less access, but really, do the dozen of developer posts provided here actually build traffic to this site?...la
I dont speak for RON BRON....ever, but I would suggest he had liability concerns about Stratics doing anything to damage the UO brand! Personally I figured Broadsword should be sued first for ruining the Brand.

If the guys at Easy remotely cared about UO anymore....would love to see them grab it. But maybe the best thing would be for a duper that virtually everyone supports anyway, for them to buy it!

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You would still have to pay the seller.
Forming a non-profit with beginning debt is very much frowned upon by the IRS.

What would be a good way to gather money is to solicit angel-investors, set goals with clear expectations for the site within a certain time frame, and then raise the funds to repay the investors to make the site completely "free of debt". Only then would application for non-profit status be feasible, but there are still challenges with that.

Yes, I know these things...

*returns to lurking*
instead of non-profit, what about a 'not for profit'? (they are different.)

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'd be thinking it's more to do with the New UO website from Broadsword. They added a Wiki and have stated that they "will" be adding a forums.
Sort of makes everything else redundant when that will become the Official forums for UO.
really??! broadsword has plans to add forums? that would be interesting. but i think i'd still use stratics in addition to whatever BS offers.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
*looks over to the table of ruffians in the corner discussing the news that their favorite Tavern is for sale*

"Ifs Ifs Ifs

What ifs

Doom and Gloom

Sky is falling

All worthless my friends.

If you have the Platinum to buy the place then make it so

If not

Spend your time constructively on this. Maybe make a list of suggestions towards the up keep, structure, changes, and content you would like to see from your new owners.

The Tavern is for the community and thrives on the community. You have an opportunity here might as well pull up your boot straps and gets some work done."

* Waves over the Tavern Keeper*

"A round of drinks for my friends there. Anything they want. Except for my cask of Good Old Moonglow Red of course."

*Hands the Taven Keeper some gold coins with a pat on the back and settles down to his place buy the fire to lights his pipe with one of its embers.*

Angel of Sonoma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I think the current admins are doing great, I haven't been banned once yet.

Who cares if Mesanna likes them or not?

If she's bought the forums she could do whatever she likes, but I don't see that happening.
ha! now there's a thought...let BS buy stratics and earn an extra $300 income per month.

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Believing that he is one of the Tavernkeepers, he selected two of his finest brands and walked towards his loyal patrons.
He Paused and noticed the full glass left by one of the customers, a vague unremembered promise came to mind.
He served the drinks anyways and said "this one's on the house."
Using a feathered pen, he looked around, and then inscribed the drinks on Timberwolf's bill of sale.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
*places a hand over her glass*
Whiskey for me sir, with a nod and a smile to old Nabin in his corner of the room.
I have ideas. Ideas that involve contests, and working with Broadsword in a more direct way.
*nods* mostly to herself now... so many ideas....

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
*places a hand over her glass*
Whiskey for me sir, with a nod and a smile to old Nabin in his corner of the room.
I have ideas. Ideas that involve contests, and working with Broadsword in a more direct way.
*nods* mostly to herself now... so many ideas....
Stratics contests and events were actually already in the works. The addition of the calendar and starting to get it populated and working smoothly was the first step toward that.