• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Selling Stratics?

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kirthag (when she was admin) captain norrington, riyana, ron bron, basically everyone i asked said theres absolutely no way to ban someone because its impossible to prove anything.

so no, theres no way to get banned from stratics. i think thats a given. Mike D made a new account everyday for how long?
Thank you Smoot. I will make sure that's cleared up.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Guys can we please keep this thread on topic, as the topic itself is important enough that side discussions are not and won't do anyone any good Smoot if you want to discuss this, please PM myself and/or Zuckuss so we can keep the thread clear of distraction.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you Smoot. I will make sure that's cleared up.
honestly theres nothing to "clear up"

staff cant ban ips anymore because its so easy to change your ip. thats been the catch phrase for the last 2 years. all the circumstantial evidence in the world isnt "proof" enough for a ban, and hard info outside of stratics isnt used in considering ban evaders. i dunno what more you could do. it impossible to ban anyone, thats what everyones been told. its easier to prove a real life murder case using circumstantial evidence than it is to prove a stratics ban evader.

on a side note, the security of stratics is so messed up i dont have confidence that anything is set in stone. heck i was seeing pages and notifications for over a year that apparently were only meant for staff.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Guys can we please keep this thread on topic, as the topic itself is important enough that side discussions are not and won't do anyone any good Smoot if you want to discuss this, please PM myself and/or Zuckuss so we can keep the thread clear of distraction.
i apologize, did not see this post until now. isnt this whole thread against tos anyway? i thought it would be removed. advertising RMT sales is in fact against the tos.

Aran

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm pretty sure my wife would break all my toys if I spent that much on a website but boy is it tempting just for the ultimate troll of being in charge...

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
i apologize, did not see this post until now. isnt this whole thread against tos anyway? i thought it would be removed. advertising RMT sales is in fact against the tos.
Not exactly, the RMT rule is many to prevent the and curb the sale of UO Items, such as accounts, in game items, etc. But when the Owner of the site is OK with the thread there isn't much the Mods can do about it.

My reason for asking you to PM though, is so we could answer your questions without cluttering up this thread.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where did they state this? That would be great.
not sure where its stated, but if you google "broadsword forums" this is the first thing that comes up:
Login

so the forums are already in place, they just arent opened up yet for use.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
OUCHIE !!! *PEEEES ONA HERZ FOOTZ*
*Rubs Ozog's face in it* "Bad Ozog! Next time I break your neck.", *tosses the little creature several feet with a glare as his normal deep lavender eyes flash bright red for a moment* *ponders making bloodwine from goblin*

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
not sure where its stated, but if you google "broadsword forums" this is the first thing that comes up:
Login

Broadsword has had forums for use by the Broadsword staff for a while now, but has not made any statement of intent to start a public forum.

Not exactly, the RMT rule is many to prevent the and curb the sale of UO Items, such as accounts, in game items, etc. But when the Owner of the site is OK with the thread there isn't much the Mods can do about it.
From the Stratics TOS...

"By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using a Communication Service, you will not: defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others; publish, post, upload, distribute or disseminate any inappropriate, profane, defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful topic, name, material or information; upload files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy of publicity) unless you own or control the rights thereto or have received all necessary consents; upload files that contain viruses, corrupted files, or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer; advertise or offer to sell or buy any goods or services for any business purpose, unless such Communication Service specifically allows such messages..."

To clear any confusion, the sale of this Site is specifically allowed for advertisement on Stratics.
;)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not enforceable at all. ive been told this many times by the mods. which is why we have a good number of users here that were previously banned, and will continue to push the limits because another ban in the ends means nothing.
I didnt say it was enforceable smoot.....I said it was actionable :) And technically it is enforceable for the most part they just choose not to do it because the negatives out weigh the positives. For example when I was a mod we had a poster that had been perma-banned by a former mod who had since retired. That person kept making new accounts and posting on a forum I had inherited as moderator. One day I was tired of rebanning him so I banned everyone from that small european country. I laughed my ass off until I found out that one of the admins was from that same country and it took her half a week to figure out why she couldn't access the site!

Sadly no one else saw the humor in my actions... :) I am so misunderstood :)

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually I have had 2-3 semi private conversations with Ron since my return. Although we differed in opinion and perspective, I always felt positive about the conversation on a whole. He has my respect and I am sad to see him depart. Most of the past administration could have learned much from him.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Where did they state this? That would be great.
Back when they said they were re-designing the accounts management system.
Will probably never happen but things like this make me wonder if it's closer than we think ;)

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
No way. In 99 they were almost done with UO2 - a massive, expensive project that would have revolutionized the MMO genre. Watch the old promo videos of the game - It had the look of WOW years before WOW existed.
Maybe they sold it to WOW
I doubt people keep comming back to WOW like they do to UO

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
its not enforceable at all. ive been told this many times by the mods. which is why we have a good number of users here that were previously banned, and will continue to push the limits because another ban in the ends means nothing.
I've been under the impression for quite a while that Broadsword insisted at one point that few if any Stratics staffers should be able to view user IPs to protect the security of Broadsword employees and/or keep staffers from connecting the dots to determine which Stratics users are disguised Broadsword employees or event moderators.

Ron Bron

Former President
VIP
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
I've been under the impression for quite a while that Broadsword insisted at one point that few if any Stratics staffers should be able to view user IPs to protect the security of Broadsword employees and/or keep staffers from connecting the dots to determine which Stratics users are disguised Broadsword employees or event moderators.
You are correct. Only admins can view IP.

Regards,

Ron Bron

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd be thinking it's more to do with the New UO website from Broadsword. They added a Wiki and have stated that they "will" be adding a forums.
Sort of makes everything else redundant when that will become the Official forums for UO.
When and where did UO state that they were going to open/reopen there own UO Forums. Wikis are a lot faster way to add info to a web site that is run by so few people.

AtlanticRealtor

ICQ 647752375
Stratics Veteran
When and where did UO state that they were going to open/reopen there own UO Forums. Wikis are a lot faster way to add info to a web site that is run by so few people.

We heard is True, as many sources said that they are "Tired" of the Stratics Drama!!!

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually it's not.

Couple of things you have to consider.

Broadsword and/or EA would most likely have rules on the forum that are designed to protect their Intellectual Property that would most likely be far stricter than what we have here now.

Tying a game account to the Forums would also mean when one is banned the other is, so yea getting banned in game for actions on the forums? Not exactly what I would want to see.
And this is what happened when UO had it's own forum.

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Honestly I don't remember, but I do know this is rather common with various MMO's. A also know that many Games that have their own forums, by comparison, we're pretty lax.

Herp!

Journeyman
I don't remember this honestly, however, Blizzard forums would just disallow you from posting anything on the forums. You could log in and browse still, but you couldn't even get the option to post. Most games do it this way nowadays, can't ban a person that pays for your game just because they got a little drunk & yelled on the forums, or because they got a bit trolly one day.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Login

That is a strange web site and has no trademarks what so ever, IMHO I do not think that is for UO/DAoC

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Yep. That's why I NEVER posted there. Even when you speak they truth they don't want to hear it.

If they bought it I'd probably never post again. I won't wave pompoms for the DEVs unless they do something worthy of them. I do praise them from time to time. But when I can look around the game and find things that have long since been forgotten and left undone.... broken... or just sloppily stuffed into the game I have no praise. When I get something like the Atlas and I see that it isn't even usable in the game... I have to wonder.... Who exactly is to blame? I could say Bleak since he coded it.. Onifrk since he designed the art (which by the way the book and the maplook to it are beautiful really like them) Kyronix if he had a hand in it.... Or does the fault lie with Misk since supposedly he is the "tester". Does he not test crap in the EC?!?!? Makes you wonder... but when you get right down to it... Mesanna is the Producer... so she approved it. And Misk really should have tested everything about that book... Which includes recalling with the scrolls with 0 magery. Is he a tester or what? And it includes looking at it with runes from every facet... in BOTH clients. I stand firm on my theory that NONE of the DEVs use the EC at all... if they did I wouldn't have to constantly complain about things that are broken they would be fixed. But then that also makes one question the fact that the DEVs claim continuously that they actually play UO. I'm sure Kyronix does or did at one time. But I call BS on the others.

Herp!

Journeyman
But then that also makes one question the fact that the DEVs claim continuously that they actually play UO.
I mean... why play when you can just give yourself the drops and lock em down in your house with infinite storage slots? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Honestly I don't remember, but I do know this is rather common with various MMO's. A also know that many Games that have their own forums, by comparison, we're pretty lax.
If you were banned from UOs forum you were also banned from UO that was one of the biggest complaints about it and why other web sites like stratics grew so fast with UO players.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't remember this honestly, however, Blizzard forums would just disallow you from posting anything on the forums. You could log in and browse still, but you couldn't even get the option to post. Most games do it this way nowadays, can't ban a person that pays for your game just because they got a little drunk & yelled on the forums, or because they got a bit trolly one day.
You have no clue as to how they would/would not do anything until they may/may not open their own forum. If they link your account to your forum account they will once again be the same account and a ban is/was an account ban that affected both.

Herp!

Journeyman
You have no clue as to how they would/would not do anything until they may/may not open their own forum. If they link your account to your forum account they will once again be the same account and a ban is/was an account ban that affected both.
Yeah, if they link my account to the forum, I'll be making sure to only post bug reports... Same as I did with Blizzard, though that's because I got drunk and got myself banned one night, bug reports were A-OK somehow... so i could post all the trolls I wanted there, still can!

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Login

SMF ewwww you'd think by now, if they were planning to sticking to Free Open Source software for their internal forums, they'd have migrated to MyBB or something with a bit more aesthetic flair by now.

Now SMF is solid, I'll give it that, but it's just plain FUGLY!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
SMF ewwww you'd think by now, if they were planning to sticking to Free Open Source software for their internal forums, they'd have migrated to MyBB or something with a bit more aesthetic flair by now.

Now SMF is solid, I'll give it that, but it's just plain FUGLY!
honestly it looks much cleaner than alot of the mess thats been thrown at us the last year. and probably loads fast and isnt sluggish with overdone apps. its just a forum. simple is best.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are correct. Only admins can view IP.

Regards,

Ron Bron
so if only admins can view IPs, and Mesanna isnt exactly fond of the current admins, where does that put stratics relationship with Mesanna.... kinda just makes sense now and why we have to go to facebook.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
LOL
I do have over 15 years forum administrative experience. Presently volunteering at another site in a Social Media Management role, which I would intend to keep if I were to be accepted elsewhere in an Administrative/Managerial capacity.
I was not well loved by some of the previous staff and have suffered for it. That said, I really like @Ron Bron as a person, and we have a lot of things in common. His goals were just different I think. I do hope we get an owner as passionate about UO as we are!
Folks have to remember what happens internally at Stratics has absolutely nothing to do with what is happening in Ultima Online. :tinhat:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
so if only admins can view IPs, and Mesanna isnt exactly fond of the current admins, where does that put stratics relationship with Mesanna.... kinda just makes sense now and why we have to go to facebook.
Not to ruin some perfectly good Stratics hate here, but where did Bonnie come out and say that she wasn't fond of our administrators? Is this inside information? Bonnie is generally pretty careful about whom she shares her opinions with, with the added expectation that such individuals would have enough professionalism and respect for her to not repeat such statements publicly. In most cases, such information wouldn't even be known to the player base unless one of the EM's had shared that information in say... Ventrilo.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not to ruin some perfectly good Stratics hate here, but where did Bonnie come out and say that she wasn't fond of our administrators? Is this inside information? Bonnie is generally pretty careful about whom she shares her opinions with, with the added expectation that such individuals would have enough professionalism and respect for her to not repeat such statements publicly. In most cases, such information wouldn't even be known to the player base unless one of the EM's had shared that information in say... Ventrilo.
theres alot more people who talk to Mesanna regularly than Ems zuckuss. yes, players hear alot of generalizations from alot of different people. hell, about half the posters here on stratics have been staff at one time or another. we email mesanna regularly about all kinds of things and alot of things get talked about. If you play atlantic, all kinds things are spread about. some rumors, of course. but when all said and done its pretty easy to get the idea of whats going on. UO is a pretty close-knit group.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
and yeah, it probably wasnt "polite" of me to post stuff in a public forum, but i havent exactly been thrilled with your PC b.s. lately. feel free and delete half this thread, no idea why Ron would even want the discussion of the sale to be public. cant fathom it would increase sales talking on UO hall of all places about what goes on with stratics (which is of course applicable when it comes to thinking about purchasing the site so very on topic)

This is a discussion of the sale of stratics. and if its to be discussed, its fair to say that alot of the volunteers left / were fired etc because of disagreements with the current admins. who in turn are causing long term vets like Nails Warstien to abandon stratics because its just not worth the BS. when you start losing players that have been loyal for over a decade, yeah its something that pertains to a discussion of a sale.

Last edited:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
theres alot more people who talk to Mesanna regularly than Ems zuckuss. yes, players hear alot of generalizations from alot of different people. hell, about half the posters here on stratics have been staff at one time or another. we email mesanna regularly about all kinds of things and alot of things get talked about. If you play atlantic, all kinds things are spread about. some rumors, of course. but when all said and done its pretty easy to get the idea of whats going on. UO is a pretty close-knit group.
It sure is Smoot. It's funny, the things that leak out from even the tightest knit of groups.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Smoot could you please take that pancakes to PM's
this is a public discussion of a sale, an concerns legitmate concerns that a buyer may be interested in so while im off for the night, i do think my points are valid and not pure "pancakes"