• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

RMT: The Good the Bad and the Ugly

Do you Agree or Disagree with Real Money Transactions in UO or MMORPGs in general?

• Agree: Let people buy stuff

Votes: 26 39.4%
  • Disagree: RMT is bad for the game(s)

Votes: 29 43.9%
  • Haven't thought about it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't care either way

Votes: 11 16.7%

• Total voters

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
60 plat, for any house is just messed up. I don't care if it's a castle in Luna.

Even if you cut the gold seller's rates in half, that's $21,000 US. How did we get to this point?
From what I have seen you can get 60 plat for about $6000 ish. Still an absolutly obscene amount lol.

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After actually doing a search, seems most gold sellers are selling 1 plat for $225. Man that avatar dude is seriously overpriced.

That still adds up to $13,500. Where do you see 1 platinum for less than $225?

edited: was typo in original post that read $255.

Last edited:

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
After actually doing a search, seems most gold sellers are selling 1 plat for $225. Man that avatar dude is seriously overpriced.

That still adds up to $13,500. Where do you see 1 platinum for less than $225?

edited: was typo in original post that read $255.
I know many places to get a plat for $100, and one or two where it can be gotten for as low as $50 if the customer is willing to buy in bulk from a person with a horrible reputation. All of the websites rip people off by a lot. Most gold selling at normal prices is done directly through icq between the buyer and seller, not a website. Customers find them based on word of mouth recommendations from other people instead of official advertisements.

Mayhem_wushu

Adventurer
So I'm going to probably cause a ruckus here with my thoughts. I think in terms of saving the game from a subscription stand point, eliminating 3rd party companies and giving everyone the power to make or break the game BS should consider an auction hall system. I know that it was done in the past with Blizzard games, EA should be able to match or surpass this level of mechanics.

For paid subscribers (no EJ) players can list an Item in an auction hall. Every item would cost gold maybe 1 or 2 million gold to list for 48 hours (gold sink). Players can list items on any server and purchase on any server. this would balance the economy between servers and in time probably population as well. When an Item is sold 10% of the purchase price is taken by the game for the service. Items can be purchased for gold or currency. Sellers can determine if the value of 1mil gold is 0.1 usd or 15 usd by starting bid and buy out in gold and cash prices. Based upon the sellers choice a deposit is made either into their bank account or into their origin account to be used for sovereigns or (on a monthly basis) refunded for cash. Players can use sovereigns to buy items and sell them on the auction hall for gold if they wish, or buy game time. This will balance the cost of 1 sovereign to x gold and x dollars within a few days.

A push for this system would make it disadvantageous for BS to allow duping and scripting to take place especially when they start writing big checks. Like wise the loss of revenue from professional bot farmers and dupers accounts would be paid for by people trying their hand at the auction hall.

With no incentive for BS to ban more accounts, and a financial mechanism to replace the subscription fee of bad actors it will never happen.

Another component of this would be that it becomes less important to pay for an item in cash if you are on a low pop server and not Atlantic just to be able to play (I went 2 months without a crimson cincture on Balhea in the past until I finally found a guy who would sell me one for 75million. Had there been a player selling one on Atlantic for 30 I could buy it and have kept playing.

I know that there are a lot of us that would rather play on servers closer to home than all crammed on Atlantic.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Hmmm, free to play games are hit and miss. I like League of Legends and have spent about $700 on it. I play it a lot and even while spending money I was also buying stuff with in-game currency that didn't seem unreasonable. Warcraft did tokens, which I thought was brilliant. They tax the gold and cash so it acts as a gold sink and they get money from it while removing the third-party sellers entirely. I like some mobile games because they aren't what I'd consider serious games. South Park's mobile game for example is one I've had great fun on and spent some money. I spent about $20 on it.

Other games have RMT in poor ways, IMO. Final Fantasy XIV offers old season items for cash sales. I'm not a fan of that. I'd rather see it on a recurring holiday. COD had that red dot they were selling. Another game had this shaming icon next to your name if you hadn't bought the expansion pass so players with the pass knew who didn't buy the pass. The icon was a yellow caution sign and it was pretty huge. Warcraft did a bad thing by creating artificial scarcity for RMT cosmetic items. They did a "Going out of Business" sale on a few items and added a disclaimer that they could come back. It was to give this false sense of needing to buy it immediately or lose out on it forever. And further, it is a digital item so it seemed pointless to remove it.

Then you have the games that do the gambling aspect of it where it's RNG based. In League you encounter a lot of young players and I regularly play with this 15 year old that definitely treats League of Legend's loot boxes in a very unhealthy way for a kid.

In UO, it seems necessary because of the age of the game and how poorly the economy has been managed. All the services I've used were very professional and I didn't feel guilty using them at all. I do feel that if RMT wasn't an option, the Devs may be forced to address the time needed to get stuff with more generous RNG. When I was playing and returned last time, I can't recall having ever encountered a scripter in an area I was trying to have fun in.

Also, sidenote, everyone always gives the Devs of the game this pass about the "Spaghetti Code". In programmer world, everything is Spaghetti Code. Programmers average about 3-5 years in a lot of places before moving on. The languages are always changing. There's no perfect program. When you go to be a programmer you are just fixing problems or thinking about how to just get it to work. Even Google has to go through it's messy code every few years. It's possible, with an actual experienced individual, to make changes to this game and not miss commas in numbers.

Overall though, I'd rather not have RMT so I voted for that option. When I buy a game, I want that single cost to be it unless they have to maintain servers or something for online games and need a sub.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Keith is the wrong guy to ask that....If you are trying to say the only way to get Plats is from buying. He can explain.
It wassn't really a Question that needed answering..merely an eyeopener for all the nearsighted people on the boards.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Still the wrong guy to compare your theory to. Your eyes are the ones that need opened.
I've sold billions and billions of gold to people, sometimes they actually told me what they need the gold for, not that i actually care what they do with the gold i sold to them. So ya man its all in my imagination.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I've sold billions and billions of gold to people, sometimes they actually told me what they need the gold for, not that i actually care what they do with the gold i sold to them. So ya man its all in my imagination.
Interesting. I find your arguments rather bias in regards to this topic. Perhaps if you set that aside you would understand why how shard shields are obtained will never be changed. Sorry if it is.... inconvenient to you.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Shame on you. where is your equality and your support for the game, oh that is right you want people to buy your ill gotten gold and all those xfer tokens you are sitting on. You are all about the GREED

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
Oh @celticus... If I ever find you on the wrong facet I will take great pleasure in running my lethal poison kryss through your kind and caring heart and watching you bleed out.
STINKY! You are awesome for what you do! You are a cruel little s**t aren't you? Any ways some of us are lovers others are not, I reckon. Different philosophies in fantasyland here in UO. Both are acceptable, and part of t he game, all is well. And I will set my super pet after you too..LOL. Just try to steal from Malag..LOL:hahaha:

(Just stay clear of Malag.. LOL. You cannot turn her to crime, regardless of the promised excitement and adrenaline.).

**The valiant knight takes a cloth and cleans his sword of the blood of the stealthing murderous thief that tried to stab him with his Poisoned kryss, the thief's carcass lying bleeding on the ground separated from his head, with a lightning fast single clean swipe.."Ooohh, sire, thy were not aware of my detect hidden skill" said he, "know thine opponents a little better next time, is there such be one.." **

Last edited:

Victim of Siege

Grand Poobah
Governor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
STINKY! You are awesome for what you do! You are a cruel little s**t aren't you? Any ways some of us are lovers others are not, I reckon. Different philosophies in fantasyland here in UO. Both are acceptable, and part of t he game, all is well. And I will set my super pet after you too..LOL. Just try to steal from Malag..LOL:hahaha:

(Just stay clear of Malag.. LOL. You cannot turn her to crime, regardless of the promised excitement and adrenaline.).

**The valiant knight takes a cloth and cleans his sword of the blood of the stealthing murderous thief that tried to stab him with his Poisoned kryss, the thief's carcass lying bleeding on the ground separated from his head, with a lightning fast single clean swipe.."Ooohh, sire, thy were not aware of my detect hidden skill" said he, "know thine opponents a little better next time, is there such be one.." **
*slides his poisoned dagger into your heart while you are blinded with your own ego*

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
*slides his poisoned dagger into your heart while you are blinded with your own ego*
**Too late for that..He is already dead, wretched bloody carcass on the ground, head got chopped off by the knight's lightning strike sword, when he slid out of the shadow, slyly to do his poison dagger sneak attack... Unless he is a ghost now. But its not legal for ghosts to do battle..** Naaa. No ego, just fiction..

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
To put the thread back on track: ( Sry for the fiction..it was provoked or "voked"..lol)

RMT websites and RMT players, on one hand satisfy a need : Allows players to own things they would not otherwise be able to, due to personal time limitations to play and grind in the game, esp. in low pop shards. The buyers, in their mind, instead of investing XX hours to get items from a specific content, prefer to work in RL and pay for these items with 1/5 the time of RL work real money. They think this is good and beneficial.

On the other hand however, the game challenge and fun is defeated. The thrill of getting xyz item, is gone. You paid XX real dollars, now you have the item. So what did you accomplish? You just paid for the coveted item. RMT basically is all sense of the word is a form of CHEATING in the game, whether we like it or not. There goes the idea of the massive challenge: You paid $500 to buy that Blaze Cusidhe on that RMT site. So? You now sport a 9x120 Blaze cu. Right? But nobody else knows you PAID for it in a website. So where is the sense of accomplishment? Same thing with PVP UBER gear. At least in PVP it is a little more meaningful. But still it is CHEATING! You paid for cheating.

RMT causes you to lose the game perspective. Lose the FUN this game is supposed to be. The wisest person I ever met in New Haven was someone in newby gear. I asked him if he needed any help to find things out in the game, or any gold or gear. You know, he daid, "No thank you" and "I would like to discover this new world for myself, and make my own gold and gear, thank you." And he went on to train and kill his low level hunts there. To me he was the BEST player in UO. A real adventurer, someone who did not want anyone to spoil form him the joy of discovering the world of this massive universe of a game...I will never forget him and his wise words, he was a true sage.

RMT is in my opinion a massive game spoiler. The Devs should enforce RMT transaction banning to the max, rather than playing a deaf ear to them. They should make a filter that does now allow gen chat advertising, and should ban anyone involved, or suspected of selling and BUYING RMT goods. But that is just my near-sighted opinion.

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Shame on you. where is your equality and your support for the game, oh that is right you want people to buy your ill gotten gold and all those xfer tokens you are sitting on. You are all about the GREED
99.9% of the people who go to work every day, does it out of GREED, so what is you're point exactly ?

kaio

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To put the thread back on track: ( Sry for the fiction..it was provoked or "voked"..lol)

RMT websites and RMT players, on one hand satisfy a need : Allows players to own things they would not otherwise be able to, due to personal time limitations to play and grind in the game, esp. in low pop shards. The buyers, in their mind, instead of investing XX hours to get items from a specific content, prefer to work in RL and pay for these items with 1/5 the time of RL work real money. They think this is good and beneficial.

On the other hand however, the game challenge and fun is defeated. The thrill of getting xyz item, is gone. You paid XX real dollars, now you have the item. So what did you accomplish? You just paid for the coveted item. RMT basically is all sense of the word is a form of CHEATING in the game, whether we like it or not. There goes the idea of the massive challenge: You paid $500 to buy that Blaze Cusidhe on that RMT site. So? You now sport a 9x120 Blaze cu. Right? But nobody else knows you PAID for it in a website. So where is the sense of accomplishment? Same thing with PVP UBER gear. At least in PVP it is a little more meaningful. But still it is CHEATING! You paid for cheating.

RMT causes you to lose the game perspective. Lose the FUN this game is supposed to be. The wisest person I ever met in New Haven was someone in newby gear. I asked him if he needed any help to find things out in the game, or any gold or gear. You know, he daid, "No thank you" and "I would like to discover this new world for myself, and make my own gold and gear, thank you." And he went on to train and kill his low level hunts there. To me he was the BEST player in UO. A real adventurer, someone who did not want anyone to spoil form him the joy of discovering the world of this massive universe of a game...I will never forget him and his wise words, he was a true sage.

RMT is in my opinion a massive game spoiler. The Devs should enforce RMT transaction banning to the max, rather than playing a deaf ear to them. They should make a filter that does now allow gen chat advertising, and should ban anyone involved, or suspected of selling and BUYING RMT goods. But that is just my near-sighted opinion.
Lets say i wanted to buy the $500 CU from a player in game(not from a 3rd party website), would it be ok if i bought 100 mythic tokens at the in game store, sold them on a vendor, and then bought the CU with in game gold from a player?
Or do you also consider that cheating ?

What i consider cheating, is when people use scripts, speed enhancements programs, and thereby gets them self an unfair advantage. If uncle bob buys himself a new pet for $$$ dosen't ruin my game experience in any way, scripters does, be it pvm or pvp.

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
That statement is bolloks.

Selling gold has nothing to do with supporting the game.

First of all UO don't sell gold so his selling don't cost them revenue

Second he is actually supporting the game by
A he most likely pay an account and maybe buy now and then in shop
B his gold selling makes another player happy to play the game which most likely keep that dude paying too

Finley Grant

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
No they go to work in real to support their family and that has zero to do with your in-game GREED. Nice try on the stupidest excuse to selling gold for real cash.
You go to work because you need the money. What you do with the money is not relevant..
What is relevant is that without money you sleep under a bridge. At least in some countries.

Lord Frodo

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That statement is bolloks.

Selling gold has nothing to do with supporting the game.

First of all UO don't sell gold so his selling don't cost them revenue

Second he is actually supporting the game by
A he most likely pay an account and maybe buy now and then in shop
B his gold selling makes another player happy to play the game which most likely keep that dude paying too
You go to work because you need the money. What you do with the money is not relevant..
What is relevant is that without money you sleep under a bridge. At least in some countries.
And your half assed attempt to try and troll someone is a joke or are you just trying to support a fellow cheater.

Ikeelu

Visitor
UO/EA and it’s back alley powerscroll monoply make mad cash off RMT and the SJWs that justify buying and selling tokens as game support. I bought gold when it was $25/m I sold 7x GM accounts with a house for $300. I couldn’t farm anything to make gold ever because I liked the old ways of PvP. I could however 7x GM in my sleep. RMT has provided a better experience for me. Whenever I return I grab whatever I think I need for $. I ususlly make a few 100m or a plat before I’m bored. I buy up as many hot items as I can find on VS and quit.

Bottom line. My time is money. Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Maker2014

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
And your half assed attempt to try and troll someone is a joke or are you just trying to support a fellow cheater.
@Finley Grant did not say that HE is an RMT'er or cheater or does any RMT transactions. You are alluding to this, and most likely you are accusing him wrongly. He never said anything like that. He only expressed his opinion about this. I know you are upset about RMT as we all are, but why accuse him? Do you have any evidence that he is a cheater? I thought we are not supposed to do this here?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
id say the opposite. RMT is the only way to have equality. take an advanced player like me and many others. making 50billion a year simply thru gameplay. theres no way a casual player could compete with that. if RMT did not exist many players would just not be able to afford anything.

So in my mind selling gold spreads the wealth and puts everyone on a more equal playing field than would exist without it.

A Cat

Visitor
I don't like RMT because the prices are absurd. If the max cost was never more than 5 bucks, maybe, but we see prices that rival the full cost of a new game. That's just stupid.

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
id say the opposite. RMT is the only way to have equality. take an advanced player like me and many others. making 50billion a year simply thru gameplay. theres no way a casual player could compete with that. if RMT did not exist many players would just not be able to afford anything.

So in my mind selling gold spreads the wealth and puts everyone on a more equal playing field than would exist without it.
50 Plat a year? Sweet! How can one do that in game? Just a fraction of that would be awesome!

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
RMT existed LONG before Duping.. and a TON of cash was made during that time as well. Or were you not around for the $12-15+ a mil days?
I paid over 60 per mil pre aos. High 40s for a vet reward due tub. That was when a mil and what items you had actually meant something though.

I've also sold property and accounts.

Im actually surprised the team hasn't started selling premade skilled accounts and keeps-castles.

Merth

Journeyman
This is what Ive expected with them refusing to open Malas for castles/keeps.

I paid over 60 per mil pre aos. High 40s for a vet reward due tub. That was when a mil and what items you had actually meant something though.

I've also sold property and accounts.

Im actually surprised the team hasn't started selling premade skilled accounts and keeps-castles.