• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Returning player advice

Nikon

Visitor
Hi everyone,

I'm looking for some advice on a few things. I last played in 2003 I think and it's all changed so much I'm unsure of a few things.

First off can anyone recommend some confirmed up-to-date links for UO character templates and any other advice as I've found loads including on stratics website but I'm unsure how relevant the information is as a lot of it is dated 2012 or older.

PVM: How much gold per hour (not including the resale of other valuable items found on corpses) would you class as a decent amount?
I have a GM Mage with 90% prov which I took out the other day and did 25k in an hour which was amazing compared to how much I could make before but I'm thinking that's not a great amount now?

All my character slots for Europa are being used. I'm happy to change skills on the characters I already have but am unsure if it's worth it.
For example

My warrior NiKoN:
GM Fencing
GM Tactics
GM Resist
GM Parry
GM Anatomy
GM Healing
I forget the last skill

I made all characters before the new skills were out (chivalry, spelling weaving etc). Is it worth me dropping one or more of these skills over something else or does it not make a lot of difference?

I appreciate all the answers to what I'm asking are probably already out there but I'm having a hard time finding anything that was posted recently and as I'm unaware of what changes have been made to the game over the years I don't want to go down a massive skill change path only to find there's a better way now if you catch my drift.

I'm not after a long step by step reply (although that would be great) just a link to a page that is still relevant would be great.

Thank you

Nikon

Visitor
Ok I can see I have had a fair few views so nice to know the forum is relatively active still. Dunno if I've posted in the wrong place as no replies? Happy for it to be moved if so :)

Anyway in the mean time I have gone ahead and started training my Mage/Prov Bard with Taming as I always wanted to do this back in the day. Following stratics guides for what to tame and it's going slowly but steady.

I've just come across Soulstones though!! Brilliant idea, I don't have to lose skills unnecessarily. I've read stratics guide and one from UOGuides, both say I should be able to claim one as a 1st year vet award (my account is 35 months old) so I'll look into that but I have a question which doesn't seem to be on there.

Lets say I transfer 100 skill points on to a soulstone and want to transfer it to another of my characters that is already 7xGM. Do I need 2 soulstones to first remove one of the 7 skills making space or can a single soulstone swap out one skill for another. So for example Soulstone has 100 mining on it and I want to swap 100 blacksmithy from a character leaving the character with 100 mining and the soulstone with 100 blacksmithy?

I'd love to go along to the 6pm meet at Brit bank, I did go along once but most days I can't as my kids don't go to bed until gone 7. Annoying as they were all very friendly the time I did manage to get there and I didn't realise it was a help returning players thing so didn't want to bug everyone with a load of questions lol

Nikon

Visitor
Ah hells bells I've gone and found the answer to my questions again :)

May just best to delete the lot this thread but if not for your information:
Soulstones:
Cannot swap skills with one stone (when no skill space on character), either use 2 stones or swap the skills on to a character slot with space temporarily and move the skills about between players accordingly. Bit of a pain from the sounds of it but still good to be able to do it (wish I'd known this last night as my GM Wrestling is now about 15% lol nevermind)

Found much better way of searching the stratics forums. I was trying to use the stratics website search box but coming up with nothing. Instead I google 'uo stratics *your search here*' and it's giving me much better results. I searched on google for 'uo stratics soulstones' found an old post where someone mentions the player corner so googled 'uo stratics players corner' and found loads of info in there. In fact I'll be reading a lot from there from the look of it and probably post there too I'll report back if I get responses :D

Here's the soulstone link anyway: Soulstone FAQ, Revised August 2016

As for claiming 1st year vet rewards it should pop up with a menu when you log in (make sure Razor or whatever you use isn't set to auto cancel this). Mine doesn't show anything so I'm guessing I've already claimed something before. God knows why I wouldn't claim a soulstone though as they're priceless.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Sorry I just saw your post, I think there are very few people around during the holidays. I was about to help with your soulstone question but I see you already found the answer, well done!
Where were you when you were getting 25k an hour? I can't really recommend anywhere until I know what you can handle.
Do try and come along to the bank meet for a few minutes, I'm sure someone can help with your templates! :D

Nikon

Visitor
Thanks, lots of info in that links.

Yes I'll try and come along as much as I can to the 6pm brit bank meets. It was only as I'd had 70 views at last check that I thought maybe I'd posted in the wrong area.

Looking at vet rewards again and I really can't see how I've not got a soulstone is there any other way I can find out what I've claimed previously?

Also I looked into buying a token or something so I can get one if I can't get a vet reward and I've come across Legacy token on origins website but it doesn't say what I can buy with them. While checking this I happened upon a 6 month game time card for £38.99 why is it cheaper here? I bought directly through EA website and it's cost me £48.99. Bit cheeky I think, wish I'd just renewed for one month now.

And Stygian Abyss, surprised this isn't just free now. It's wanting me to pay to upgrade to it. I mean I love the game so would I pay? Probably if I look into it more and think it's worth while but trying to get new players (not so common I'm guessing seeing as the game is so old now but anyway) this has got to put people off, more and more money all the time. Surely it should all be included as one thing now.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I believe the plan is to upgrade everyone to SA when Endless Journey comes out next spring. Legacy token gives a choice of soulstone, charger of the fallen or hooded shroud of shadows. Beware of tokens and gametime cards from unofficial websites, they're not always legit.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Lots of lurkers around here but not so many posters!
The Vet Reward Soulstone was maybe added after you quit, I saw a post dated 2006, others might know better....so maybe around 2005/2006?
Game-time from Origin is much cheaper and that's what my husband and I use.
Stygian Abyss will be free for all accounts but they haven't said when exactly....

Nikon

Visitor
They're bringing out a new release of UO! Well surprised, happy, but surprised. Glad people are still working on the game then. I notice there's also 'Time of legends' can anyone recommend this to me? Or will this be a free upgrade when SA is upgraded for free too (thanks for that info btw)

Oh and ShriNayne it was you plus a few others I spoke to on my brief brit bank visit a week or so back - character name was NiKoN and I was naked as I literally had nothing lol

The website I found the game time card was origin (by clicking a link from the EA website so must be legit) but thanks for the warning. I'll buy from there next time.
I wrote Legacy token but it's actually 'Sovereigns' for sale on the Origin site. Looking into it further now but I'm guessing this isn't the same thing as a Legacy token. UO Guide says the Origin site sells Legacy tokens for $9.99 but I can't see the word Legacy mentioned so I'm thinking maybe Sovereigns covers the Legacy token plus other things maybe.

Does anyone know if I can email someone directly at Origin to look into my account and find out what I've done in regards to vet rewards?

Regards to templates, the character I made 25k in an hour with was my mage/prov bard (i've since discovered I also have peace at 94% didn't even realise lol) and I forget the dungeon name but was in Trammel and has Earth Ellys and Mudpies I think they're called. GM Mage, Prov 90 Peace 94 Resist 80 that's about it for now as I've dropped a load of skills at some point in the past for some reason and I've just started raising taming/vet/anim lore.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Endless Journey is an extended free trial, it has quite a lot of restrictions (we assume!) we also assume that Stygian Abyss will be free to all when Endless Journey launches as the Devs mentioned this at the 20th anniversary party.
Not sure how I forgot meeting a naked guy, but it's the bank meeting, anything can happen! :p
Sovereigns are currency for the in-game store, you can access it through the 'help' button in the game menu.
Not sure if it's possible to see what you claimed, we used to have a soulstone graveyard for ones that dropped at IDOCs but when they got a clean-up point value, people started trashing them for points.
My husband says to go to Cyclops Valley if you get tired of Earth Ellies. (Shame?) I'm sure he'd be happy to take you there for a look, he's got a few days off!

Nikon

Visitor
Thanks got the in-game store working and there's Soulstones in there for 1000 Sovereigns, they look to be the infinite use ones, I'm sure they must be so I'll be getting one of them :)

I heard about the Cyclops valley when I used to play before, if your husband is free that'd be great to tag along. What does everyone use to communicate in game now. Discord?

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
People mostly seem to still use ICQ, some use Discord and a few have mentioned Skype...:p

Nikon

Visitor
Is there a limit to Soulstone storage of a skill? Can I put a skill on it and leave for 6 months or something?

Nikon

Visitor
Ok I liked ICQ, my number seems to have been wiped or something though so I'll need to make a new account I guess.

Do you know if there's a limit to how many Soulstones you can use. I mean technically speaking could you have 100 soulstones and store pretty much every skill for use when you want? (I'm quite excited about this whole soulstone concept in case you hadn't guessed lol). Great idea to get people using different skills.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
You can have lots of soulstones and you can store skills as long as you like.
ICQ was bought over by some Russians apparently.