Regarding EM's and Player Events

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
Status
Not open for further replies.

GarthGrey

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Mar 18, 2003
In Abstentia
All of this so someone can lock down 10 apples, a couple of chairs and a roasted pig ?

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Feb 26, 2004
Central Florida
And you keep saying it is about Event items when it has been stated over and over that it wasn't/hasn't been
The only ones complaining are the ones that attend EM Events on all shards, then sell the drops....lets call it what it is.

The last thread erupted into CLAIMS of EM's lying during events about drops and lying about drops yet you keep saying it isn't about the drops.

Reactions: Riyana

Reeky Bugbutt

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jul 26, 2014
Skara Brae. Mees da new boss
You tagged her and the others Devs in the thread, might as well have sent an email.
Sad thing is they are so brazen they don't even bother trying to deny this is about greed, and I said many of the same things I just chose to do it much, much less diplomatically. Yes one person who handles all requests, to be hired exactly 17 years after UO goes live on steam

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Oct 2, 2013
Ontario
I'm confused. Alex, you said you didn't send her an email. So why is she emailing you about this?

I emailed Mesanna over two months ago, when a game bug cost me the loss of, among other items, 3 shard shields, and the GM response was useless. I have had no response. Yet she's able to find time to private emailing players - who are not Broadsword employees - regarding actions taken by EMs, who *are* Broadsword employees? Especially when you say you didn't email her first? Color me confused.

Reactions: DreadLord Lestat

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sep 14, 2012
Wow. I figured this was coming but I'm still disappointed.

Thanks for the clarification. It is now crystal clear that the purpose of the EM program is in fact NOT actually to contribute to the shards to which the EMs are individually assigned, but instead to generate outrageously expensive items for the enrichment (in both gold and RL cash) for a small but extremely vocal handful of cross shard eventers.

One person for all shards is not enough. There is already at least one, if not two, EMs assigned to each shard. Why? Why bother having EMs assigned to different shards if not to get to know, understand, and enrich those communities?

We'll make do just fine without EM assistance. We proved that on Saturday. However, to the entitled miscreants and passive aggressive liars who triggered this change--I hope you're happy with yourselves. But this isn't over.

To those of you who had genuine issues with your EMs beings slackers--I am sorry that your EMs cared more about dispensing rares than in engaging with their communities. But this was not the way to go. This "solution" is completely backwards.

@Mesanna I hope you aren't planning to bless any more Rares Festivals, seeing as those only cater to a small minority...

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
Is there really enough work for a full time person to do player run events?
i think there is. I know on Catskills alone theres player run events very frequently. Im pretty sure Catskills alone could provide a schedule comparable in time requirement as a "standard" EM position. If anything, the job will probably be slighly more demanding than a regular EM, especially the EMs that currently only do 1 event a month.

I can see a steady demand for 3 - 10 player events a month. 10 might seem like alot, but remember the EM will only have to help assist, that frees up the time planning the story / plotlines that regular EMs have to do.

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Jun 20, 2010
I'm confused. Alex, you said you didn't send her an email. So why is she emailing you about this?

I emailed Mesanna over two months ago, when a game bug cost me the loss of, among other items, 3 shard shields, and the GM response was useless. I have had no response. Yet she's able to find time to private emailing players - who are not Broadsword employees - regarding actions taken by EMs, who *are* Broadsword employees? Especially when you say you didn't email her first? Color me confused.
She didn't email me recently. I said over a year ago she emailed me back. (or atleast it's what it should be, there could be a typo) This is my last post as I am running late. lol

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aug 30, 2009
The last thread erupted into CLAIMS of EM's lying during events about drops and lying about drops yet you keep saying it isn't about the drops.
Those claims were kept private and emailed to the people it should be addressed to. It was others like yourself who brought it up trying to connect the incident with the player events issue.

I am a Governor on Atlantic AND I consider myself semi active in the RP community there. Anyone thats played atlantic knows we pulled off some great events/storylines during our tenure's as governors. This will be a great system to have in place for all shards, and will further enhance our experiences as players.

Surprisingly Goldberg already said it best : "EM's are paid to follow, create and enhance official Ultima storylines." Why does anyone care if some people only go for the reward? Why should you dictate how someone plays the game? On Europa yesterday, it was a guild FROM Europa disrupting the event, not xsharders.

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Oct 2, 2013
Ontario
Smoot, 3 to 10 events a month, and 27 shards. Even assuming Atlantic doesn't soak up most of that time, that's only 1 player event assist every 3 to 8 months, per shard. I think you're far underestimating it.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 13, 2010
Britain
gl.uorpc.net
The amount of strawmen being tossed about by the people mad about this change is ridiculous.

I don't go to events on other shards, nor do I sell EM drops when I happen to get one (which is extremely rarely).

I want the shards to be treated fairly across the board. Not have Shard A be told no to event assistance while Shard B gets it regularly.

Let's not demonize people with blanket statements.

DreadLord Lestat

Forum Moderator
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Feb 26, 2004
Central Florida
Those claims were kept private and emailed to the people it should be addressed to. It was others like yourself who brought it up trying to connect the incident with the player events issue.
Lets see:

Seems the EM's on Chessy have gotten themselves in quite a mess

1) Lying to their own players regarding those even swords. Told the players that is was an accident and it was a mistake when in reality, they requested the swords to be unequipped. Thus, making more work on Mesanna.

2) Obviously showing favoritism at the last event when it was a stealing event. Only a select few got all the drops. They entertained the crowd for 2 hours while those select few went and stole all the items.

3) Now spawning event mobs at Player events when EM's are clearly told not to do such a thing.

When I was apart of Toad Town, we ran events for over 5 years. We have asked repeatedly for an EM spawned mob or for things to be locked down. And yes, this was for the whole shard of Atlantic. We got told no, no, no, no, no, AND NO. (Which is understandable. If it is against the rules, no way would we want our EM to break them) The only time we were able to get any help would be at the three Rares Festivals we held where Mesanna herself locked down 5 metal chests for an event of mine. Not once did we get a mob or anything like that. It really irritates me that some EM's either ignore or show direct favoritism when it comes to their powers.

Yes, they may be good at story line, but in my opinion, when an EM lies to their players, selects a few out from a crowd of 40+ to get the drop, and then shows favoritism regarding player events.... all in itself tells the true characteristics of that EM.
https://stratics.com/community/threads/player-event.332649/#post-2503199

and

https://stratics.com/community/threads/player-event.332649/page-2#post-2503937

I NEVER brought up player events trying to tie anything. I started out explaining to Smoot and everyone else what I did to ask and recieve EM assistance in running a Player Event for the City in which I am the ELECTED Governor as did many other of Chessy's players until accusations started flying. Read the thread to refesh your memory https://stratics.com/community/threads/player-event.332649/

Reactions: BrianFreud

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
pitmuck ice creams cabe
ALLS WEES ASKED FER WAS SOME MOBS, AND AFEW CHESTS LOCKED DOWN. LOCKED DOWN FOR DECO, BEACUSE OB CRAZY DECAY RATE. EBVEN INVITED UDDER SHARDS TO COMES HELP
BYT

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianFreud

TehanChesapeake

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 22, 2013
I'm so disgusted with what I read here. You really are a hero bringing justice and fairness into this big bag virtual universe.

Just what I'm looking for when I sit to play a game after a long day's work: drama, jealousy, and people who make a living ruining other people's fun to flatter their own ovesized egos. Way to go.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 9, 2006
And these should be requests that are granted, within reason, on every shard.
I agree - that should be the case and it is what people should be asking for. But because certain EMs seem to be either unwilling or unable to do that some people here have demanded that none of them be able to do it.

Now we'll end up with a single Community Event Manager charged with overseeing two dozen shards across multiple time zones and the end result will be atlantic taking up most of that person's time leaving little for everyone else. What you end up with is a situation even more unfair than before. Well done - great result.

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
pitmuck ice creams cabe
Hello everyone,

I know a lot of you have been voicing your desires to have help with player events. Event Moderators have their own duties to attend to. No EM will be allowed to assist with player events but, I am going to hire one person with a title of Player Event Coordinator.

This person will be accepting events from players, I will send you their email when I hire someone and set them up. Please understand they will NOT give rewards for your events that is totally up to you as a player to provide those.

Please stay tuned to UO.COM for more details on this position.

Mesanna
DOES THIS MEAN EMS CANNOT HELP GUBNORS EVENTS FOR THERE CITIES?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
pitmuck ice creams cabe
Wow @Mesanna goes out of her way to solve an issue and you guys piss all over it. Really?
She actually is going so far as to hire a special person just for the player run events and you guys are basically raising your middle finger at her.
I would think folks would be excited. Not throw rotten tomatoes.
PEEEEINS BEEES GOOOS

whiterabbit

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Dec 18, 2003
pitmuck ice creams cabe
Wow @Mesanna goes out of her way to solve an issue and you guys piss all over it. Really?
She actually is going so far as to hire a special person just for the player run events and you guys are basically raising your middle finger at her.
I would think folks would be excited. Not throw rotten tomatoes.
PEEEEINS BEEES GOOOS

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
show us goblins some love for once....do wees ask too mushes?
I guess so

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
Yes, gods forbid that Mesanna listens and that all the shards get an equal opportunity to get help with player events.

Is it a perfect solution? No. Is it better then her ending all help period? Yes.

Is this change in any way, shape, or form about EM drops? NO.

Quit. Your. pancakes.
she is offering a small fix that will end up to be a big problem....we don't need more problems in this game. EM's are already in place in the game...give them more control. Is this such a hard thing to do? They are already getting paid

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 13, 2010
Britain
gl.uorpc.net
she is offering a small fix that will end up to be a big problem....we don't need more problems in this game.
This is a massive, completely unsubstantiated assumption based on nothing.

At least give it a chance to fail before stabbing it in the back.

EM's are already in place in the game...give them more control. Is this such a hard thing to do? They are already getting paid
This would be the ideal solution. I'd much rather work with my shard's EMs as they know whats up on GL.

However, for whatever reason, Mesanna chose to hire a new person (New blood for UO is a good thing!) Possibly because the EMs are only supposed to work 20 hours a week (or a month, I forget).

Reactions: Pandora_CoD

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
if I'm not here I'm there
I dont expect you to understand the viewpoint of someone who actually enjoys the interaction with EM's outside of getting drops
You don't? Then you don't know me. I believe anyone who knows me at events knows that I participate and interact with the EMs outside of getting drops.
So now EMs are going to be doing what they are paid for and create content and stories for each of the shards and there will be a dedicated person for people who want to run player events so that they might get some deco and some spawn. This is a good thing. Why is there so much hate?
The poor Catskills EM wouldn't have any time at all for his own creative stories if he had to deco and create spawn for every Catskills player run event. If there is any doubt you can check the Catskills player event schedule here. There are sometimes even arguments because folks on Cats accidentally run events on top of each other. Now these folks and everyone like them will be able to have someone dedicated specifically to them. The EM can still do what he was hired to do and create stories and work for X amount of hours on them (you realize they are only paid for a few hours a month right).
It's nothing to do with drops. It has to do with giving the EMs more time to invest in stories they create to keep the shards alive while still providing what is being asked for via player run events and the role play community.

Varrius

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Feb 12, 2010
OK we are getting closer now. just waiting for one of y'all to have the stones to come out and say it.

The EM's exist only to give me a drop
They have more events without drops than with drops. So wait, you think you "are getting closer" by someone saying that an EM does EM Events? If Broadsword/Mesanna wanted EM's to do player events, they would have them do player events. I don't understand what is so difficult to understand.
Would you be happy if the new person in charge of player events had a tag "EM". Why does it matter who helps with the events?

Andrasta

Goodman's Rune Library
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Makuto, Tokuno Islands
We used to get this kind of help with our events years ago and I am grateful that it will return once again. The promise of such help was a carrot dangled in front of us to get involved in the governor system which was a main reason that I got involved in the first place. When it became clear that this wasn't going to be the case, a lot of the early enthusiasm died out.

I love holding events even though it is difficult to compete with EM drops as prizes but at least regular communities, guilds and individuals will now get some assistance with all the hard work that they put into events for other players. I don't believe we should get prizes by any means but a gate and a few locked down items go a long way to reduce the stress and increase enjoyment of the community. Accounts are closing due to the lack of support for regular folk.

Thank you Mesanna!

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
I respect you Flutter, I just disagree. Yes I have been trying to rattle some cages, and quite honestly I would have banned me by now. There are years of frustration here by many
I honestly, genuinely don't understand what the problem is.
People are upset the EMs aren't going to be doing the Player Events, but for all intents and purposes this sounds to me like a version of an EM. I mean it will be a worldwide EM instead of a specific shard but that shouldn't matter. And everyone can still go to their shards EM events. It's not like any EMs were fired (that we know of), just put back into the positions that they were hired for. Mesanna saw a need and filled it. This isn't one of the things to be frustrated about at all. This new Player event moderator is something to be excited about. Not angry... *furrows brow* I don't understand. And calling people greedy and other ugly things isn't making me (or them) understand any better why you (and others) seem to be so upset with the idea.

Ashlynn_L

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 9, 2006
The poor Catskills EM wouldn't have any time at all for his own creative stories if he had to deco and create spawn for every Catskills player run event. If there is any doubt you can check the Catskills player event schedule here. There are sometimes even arguments because folks on Cats accidentally run events on top of each other. Now these folks and everyone like them will be able to have someone dedicated specifically to them. The EM can still do what he was hired to do and create stories and work for X amount of hours on them (you realize they are only paid for a few hours a month right).
Do you really think the new person is going to have much time to dedicate to Catskills when they also have twenty other shards to oversee? Also consider that this person may only be a part time employee and live outside of a North American time zone. They won't even have any kind of rapport with any of the individual shard communities either.

The proposed solution is the least efficient and will probably be even more unfair. But then that isn't what this is REALLY about.

Reeky Bugbutt

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Jul 26, 2014
Skara Brae. Mees da new boss
We used to get this kind of help with our events years ago and I am grateful that it will return once again. The promise of such help was a carrot dangled in front of us to get involved in the governor system which was a main reason that I got involved in the first place. When it became clear that this wasn't going to be the case, a lot of the early enthusiasm died out.

I love holding events even though it is difficult to compete with EM drops as prizes but at least regular communities, guilds and individuals will now get some assistance with all the hard work that they put into events for other players. I don't believe we should get prizes by any means but a gate and a few locked down items go a long way to reduce the stress and increase enjoyment of the community. Accounts are closing due to the lack of support for regular folk.

Thank you Mesanna!

Keep holding you breath for that help. All I can say now since those most familiar with the actual shards are forbidden from actively interacting with the players on that shard

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Apr 15, 2014

This would be the ideal solution. I'd much rather work with my shard's EMs as they know whats up on GL.

However, for whatever reason, Mesanna chose to hire a new person (New blood for UO is a good thing!) Possibly because the EMs are only supposed to work 20 hours a week (or a month, I forget).
What are you talking about? You are getting basically a dedicated EM for all player run events. How can you ask for anything more than that?!
honestly you really think one em to do all the shards is going to be able to handle all the player events? There are ems already in place on shards. I know the ems on chessy enjoyed helping with the player events and they did want to do this goblin event but got shot down by messana. Atl alone could use more ems right now to help with just their monly events.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Sep 14, 2012
Do you really think the new person is going to have much time to dedicate to Catskills when they also have twenty other shards to oversee? Also consider that this person may only be a part time employee and live outside of a North American time zone. They won't even have any kind of rapport with any of the individual shard communities either.

The proposed solution is the least efficient and will probably be even more unfair. But then that isn't what this is REALLY about.
If it even happens...

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
I've seen many people complain about EM Event items...this thread is about the OPPOSITE. The mobs that are spawned for a PLAYER RUN event DO NOT HAVE DROPS....they are strictly there for ambiance and to make the PLAYER RUN event more immersive.

We are not talking about EM Events at all in this thread.....it's not about EM's..it's not about drops..it's about PLAYER run events. You've seen some of the people post their work a rounds for this...doing lvl 6 maps, doing trader quests and luring the mobs to enhance a player event...now there will be a dedicated person..hopefully personS.....just for this so we as players can create even better events WITHOUT an EM...though I'm sure the EM will be allowed to participate just not utilize any EM powers.

I also agree that the EM's should be allowed to do this...but since the EM's have been around awhile, there more then likely will be MORE shouts of favoritism if Bonnie allows the EM's do help with player events. Hiring completely separate person that NOONE knows is ideal so noone can say..*Oh well he's so and so's friend so of course he's gonna get help with his event and not mine* blather blather....

If you want EM drops..attend EM events...if you want RP and fun events...attend player-run events. I applaud Bonnie for doing this and hope she ignores all the hate being thrown around in this thread.

TehanChesapeake

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 22, 2013

Based on simple math actually. Count the number of shards, and the number of players on each shard wanting to organize player events, and try to figure out how in hell would ONE person be able to do it all. I fail to see how that beats having the EMs occasionally go out of their way to help players from the community they already know well.

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2004
Awards
honestly you really think one em to do all the shards is going to be able to handle all the player events? There are ems already in place on shards. I know the ems on chessy enjoyed helping with the player events and they did want to do this goblin event but got shot down by messana. Atl alone could use more ems right now to help with just their monly events.
I guess it depends on how many requests the person gets and what rules are in place for making those requests doesn't it? I mean we haven't even seen anything regarding how many events we can ask for or what exactly this new PEC is allowed to do for us. But heck lets complain and say bad things about it anyway right?
There's obviously a reason Mesanna nixed the goblen player event from the Chessy EMs schedule. Just because you don't know the reason doesn't mean it wasn't a good one. For all we know the EMs could have been over their hours or something. They do tend to run events on the long side. Seriously I think if it were our business we'd already know. Either way they couldn't do it, we say thank you anyway and move on.

Mrsbug

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Apr 15, 2014
I guess it depends on how many requests the person gets and what rules are in place for making those requests doesn't it? I mean we haven't even seen anything regarding how many events we can ask for or what exactly this new PEC is allowed to do for us. But heck lets complain and say bad things about it anyway right?
There's obviously a reason Mesanna nixed the goblen player event from the Chessy EMs schedule. Just because you don't know the reason doesn't mean it wasn't a good one. For all we know the EMs could have been over their hours or something. They do tend to run events on the long side. Seriously I think if it were our business we'd already know. Either way they couldn't do it, we say thank you anyway and move on.
why don't you go read some of the other posts and get the facts or talk to ozog in person and get the facts...because I did. Stop your damn pancakes at me for something you have no clue about.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Sep 8, 2006
Origin
And one more thing...about the *This new person doesn't know my shard so how are they going to do events*

They don't have to know...they are there to COORDINATE with the player or players running the event.

For example....I want to do a *Walking Dead* type event....and I would love to have a hoarde of zombies invade my event...so I send in a request...the PEC spawns said zombies and is done...they don't have to know the history of my shard or it's people.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Aug 21, 2000
Great Lakes
uorpc.net
And one more thing...about the *This new person doesn't know my shard so how are they going to do events*

They don't have to know...they are there to COORDINATE with the player or players running the event.

For example....I want to do a *Walking Dead* type event....and I would love to have a hoarde of zombies invade my event...so I send in a request...the PEC spawns said zombies and is done...they don't have to know the history of my shard or it's people.
My thought was they set up an event for a player group or whatever ie place some deco etc for the event they don't NEED to attend said events they just have to set it up... take it down.

Don't think that is going to take all their time. Not sure about spawning monsters or whatnot as we don't even know WHAT they will or will not be able to do yet so all this is pure conjecture and speculation which we really shouldn't be doing.

When Mesanna gets to us and lets us know EXACTLY what they will and will not be able to do then you can piss and moan..... until then just be glad as many of the rest of us are that Mesanna is actually listening and trying to help players with their needs.

Last edited:

Lythos-

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 20, 2007
Exactly.

May god have mercy on the poor soul that accepts this position and has to listen to this daily.

Status
Not open for further replies.