• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Tailoring] Refinement for regular leather armor

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In every thread on refinements i tend to see every type of armor mentioned besides regular leather armor.
What refinement do i need if i wish to increase resists on for example a Gargish Leather Chest?

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok apparently regular leather armor cannot be refined... gotta love the transparency of this game... another stupid thing today: wanting to train necromancy in new haven but they dont sell books containing actual spells...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
can't help on the refinement bit, you can farm imps, rat mages and orc mages for the low-level necro scrolls (mixed in with low-level magery scrolls). That will at least help you train up your combat skills if you're working a sampire from the ground up.

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok but imagine a new player starting in New Haven and wanting to train necromancy. He didn't pick necromancy as starting skill so he runs to the necromancer npc house and buys starting skill and a necromancer spellbook. Then he accepts the quest and runs to the training area only to find out he has no spells to train necromancy with...

See my point?

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I need to check tonight, but I think at least one of the mages in Haven sells necromancy scrolls.

Joshua Ravenloft

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't the dark mage in Moonglow sell necro spells as well? Dude is in a dark coloured robe and light grey magi hat, and located in the mage shop west of bank...

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Well, there was a "returning newbie" dude on my shard the other day spamming gen chat asking for simple help. All he wanted was a suit of 100% LRC, 40% LMC, and a set of full spell books for all casting disciplines. I thought he was being ludacrious ... until I really thought about it and realized that I probably throw at least a suit like that into the trash every few days from looting things that I later decide not to keep.

I suggested that he could earn the money via crafting and buy the suit himself, and he suggested that I was ... less than intelligent.

Sure enough, it only took him about 30 minutes of spamming before someone gave him what he wanted.

Maybe you should try just asking in gen chat for it? Maybe ask someone to spare you 1M gold or so to get started - you might be surprised to find that you get it.

ZidjiN

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dont think you guys get the point here. The OP is not a new player and does not need necromancy scrolls.

Hes simply pointing out that this would be very hard for an actuall new player to grasp and understand what he is supposed to do.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
New player, old player... my advice still stands. The most profitable thing to do may well be create new chars and beg in gen chat...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Mulcivikh the Necromancy Instructor has a New Haven quest that GIVES a full normal Necromancy book.

But, I forget if there's a skill level maximum to ask for it.

Still, I'd rather do it by hunting the creatures that carry the scrolls. There's a difference between automating boring tasks and having stuff just given to you.

Lucky Luke

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Doesn't the dark mage in Moonglow sell necro spells as well? Dude is in a dark coloured robe and light grey magi hat, and located in the mage shop west of bank...
Yes. But New Haven should be a new player town to get basic skills to 50. You shouldn't have to venture anywhere outside to do them really.

Mulcivikh the Necromancy Instructor has a New Haven quest that GIVES a full normal Necromancy book.

But, I forget if there's a skill level maximum to ask for it.

Still, I'd rather do it by hunting the creatures that carry the scrolls. There's a difference between automating boring tasks and having stuff just given to you.
Mulcivikh offers a new player quest, The Allure of Dark Magic, to train the Necromancy skill to 50. The reward for completing the quest is a complete Necromancer Spellbook.

How are you going to train the skill without any spells to start with? Ah ask for freebies or turn on the googly... All i'm saying is you shouldn't have to do these things in the first place.
Saying you should hunt for a complete book? I agree. But give out a quest in a "new player town" and not provide the means to do it...

Picus at the office

Certifiable
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I attempted to write a new player guide but it would have been so wide and far it was beyond the scope of a simple project.

Funny enough the first thing I thought to do was have the person type in gen chat that they were new and could someone give them gold.

Tuan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
I attempted to write a new player guide but it would have been so wide and far it was beyond the scope of a simple project.

Funny enough the first thing I thought to do was have the person type in gen chat that they were new and could someone give them gold.
It's true... what's a spare 1m gold to someone with 25B stashed in a vendor somewhere... That's the equivalent wealth to a newbie of... 0.04 gold pieces. I never give anyone who is panhandling (game or RL) anything, but I've been known to help out a newbie or two who was in gen chat asking for advice. I definitely remember hooking one guy up with an all 70 suit imbued to the max I could do without using any special ingredients plus some weapons imbued similarly. Actually... I made him two suits, first I made one out of plate, and felt a bit silly when he told me that he didn't have the 95 str needed to wear the tunic :p so I made him leather too...

CorwinXX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
It's easy to buy necro scrolls for training necro.
It's easy to earn 50k new player needs to get initial stuff (buy skill to 40, skillbooks, 100% lrc suit, etc).