• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Raise skill points to 1000.

• Thread starter scytale84
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Lord Richard

We need more skill points in order for charactars to develop to what they want to be. Face it, in order to be a decent warrior nowadays you need focus, spell resistance, tactics, melee weapon, and parry as well as anatomy and healing. However, in order to truly be able to travel and heal and distance fight they need to choose from magery, chivalry, anatomy, healing and archery. What if I do not want to be a paladin. What if I do not want to carry regs or scrolls around in order to travel and heal. What if i want a pure warrior character, one without magery or chivalry. In order to do this properly, one needs Focus, Anatomy, Healing, Magic resist, parry, tactics, melee weapon, archery, and possibly bushido. I suggest 1000 skill points. If I had that I would drop chivalry and use a runebook and recall scrolls to travel. Its just a suggestion.
Sure sounds good, but you know it aint gonna happen..........my God, can u imagine the templates out there...lol

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You are right, in most templates there are skillpoints lacking for at least one skill, in order to make the template perfect.

However, I consider this the challenge of building a template. Due to this "shortage" of skill points, you have to make a compromise. This compromise leads to much diversity in player templates, and it makes everything interesting and challenging. If we had 1000 skill points, it would lead to players using all the same skill combinations and we would lose diversity. That's my opinion.

Leave it as it is! Having to distribute skill points economically makes building a character a challenge!!!

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need more skill points in order for charactars to develop to what they want to be. Face it, in order to be a decent warrior nowadays you need focus, spell resistance, tactics, melee weapon, and parry as well as anatomy and healing. However, in order to truly be able to travel and heal and distance fight they need to choose from magery, chivalry, anatomy, healing and archery. What if I do not want to be a paladin. What if I do not want to carry regs or scrolls around in order to travel and heal. What if i want a pure warrior character, one without magery or chivalry. In order to do this properly, one needs Focus, Anatomy, Healing, Magic resist, parry, tactics, melee weapon, archery, and possibly bushido. I suggest 1000 skill points. If I had that I would drop chivalry and use a runebook and recall scrolls to travel. Its just a suggestion.
This is one of the most asenine things I have read in a while. I say this not to flame but because this game has suffered from imbalance after imbalance. What you suggest would completely obliterate any template balance currently seen in game. In regards to the template you suggest...horrid.

If you want a Archer Fencer try this:
120 fencing
100 Archery (+20 bonus for hunters headress for effective 120 skill)
100 Tactics (allows for specials and gives 30 skill points for something else)
110 Anat
100 Healing
60 Chiv (for remove curse..EoO...ect)
120 Resist

With this temp you can chug pots, use bandies, and heal with chiv if necessary. If you want you can drop resist...put 40 points in necro for vamp...50 in bush for Honor (pvm) 20 in tact for dmg and another 10 into anat for more health from bandies and a bit more damage dealt. The downfall to no resist can be countered with having chiv, and carrying both a trapped box and potions.

Again, sorry to bust your cahones but the idea of yours may be sound in your head but in the game it would be disasterous. If you need template help just ask, but asking for an additional 280 skill points will get you a healthy plate of board pwnage.

E

Emil IsTemp

Just for that obsurd idea, your skill cap has been reduced to 620. :).

Gotta keep a balance man..

Theres 24 hours in a day.. Now you can almost work 3 full time jobs in that period, but when are you gonna sleep?

Kinda the same idea...

L

Loqucious

I think it is the limit in skill points which makes for a more diverse player character base.

Please don't raise skill points I like the variety.

Shamus Turlough

Lore Master
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We need more skill points in order for charactars to develop to what they want to be. Face it, in order to be a decent warrior nowadays you need focus, (blah blah) .

You are joking right?

My sampire and bushido pally macer beg to differ...

Focus is a crutch, with mr2 armor going dirt cheap right now.

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I dunno, I would kind of like adding all the taming skills to my already overpowered sampire.

HAR!

Yeah, amusing post.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With the way things are now with skill + items, the skill cap is already a joke. I dread to think what templates would be created if we could get real skills to 1k then add a stack of items to stretch even further. Ick.

I wouldn't object as much if we got a modest raise in the skill cap but at the same time, all the skill + items were removed. Then the folks who used items just to extend their skill cap would be able to train, and those who just CBA training don't get the benefits otherwise. Now that I would support.

But we don't need 1k of skill points! That's just daft.

Wenchy

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Years ago when my wife first started playing UO, she did everything and anything. She chopped wood, made shields, killed cows, tailored, and so on. Then someone told her about the 700 point skill cap. Suddenly she couldn't have one character with 100 in all 40 skills, so she branched out in to other characters. The shock of the 700 point limit is something that hits us all when we're relatively new, and I know it is sometimes still a struggle to make a template work.

However, that is the point. UO isn't a leveller. Your character is never going to get better than 720 skill points. That's the challenge. I have several characters with melee skills (two with swords), and yet, those characters play in different ways depending on ninjitsu or chivalry or bushido or poisoning.

I don't think the change from 700 to 1000 would solve the problem. You'd still be competing with people who have 1000 as well (in PvP and PvM). You'd still think of another 5 skills you'd want part of the template. Heck, I know there are skills I'd love to add to some of my characters.

I will mention that I think some of the skills should be combined or changed like remove trap/ detect hidden for example since they take up an unfair number of skill points for minimal effect. For example, last I checked remove trap still was problematic with removing traps from treasure chests. Point for point, my rogue treasure hunter is still liking magery better.

R

RenaLynne

Then who would buy the upgrade for extra slot?;)

Seriously though, no, I dont think thats a good idea at all.:thumbdown:

A

Aladaria

I understand why it would seem like a good idea, but lets put it into practice:

120 taming
120 lore
100 vet
120 archery
120 bushido
100 tactics
100 anatomy
100 med
100 necro
100 SS
60 chiv

OMFG.............

EoO, all kill, corpse skin (if using a fire bow), fire fire fire, stacked with all the DI and HCI plus gaining perfection as you strike with a high HP pet taking all the damage. I don't think even the DF could stand up to that! (kind makes you drool though huh?:rolleyes: )

Now I know that adds up to 1040 but with the equipment that's out there you could probably bump it to almost 1200 - that's another skill in there too!

C

Coppelia

I'd prefer they cap all skills to 100 and adapt the "numbers" of monsters and tames accordingly.
If you want you can even put a cap at 90 that you can unblock with powerscrolls to 95 and 100.

L

Lariat

[sarcasm] Sure, and while we're at it can we raise the stat cap to 375? I hate not being able to have max strength, dex, AND intel. Oh, and I think we should all have 5 more control slots. Wait, make that 6 more so I can be mounted with 2 greater dragons. Although 7 more would let my mount be a Nightmare. Ooooh, 8 more would let it be the new warhorse! Ok, 1000 skill, 375 stats, and 12 followers. I think that'll really improve UO. [/sarcasm]

J

jelinidas

Ahhh... NO
:thumbdown:

E

Emil IsTemp

I got an idea:

Make Doom artys, and any skill over 100 useless in a Feluccan setting.

*waits for flood of tears*

J

J0KING

Sorry, but I have to join the rest of the... ummm... "No, please dont" posts.

Lady-Tor

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
[sarcasm] Sure, and while we're at it can we raise the stat cap to 375? I hate not being able to have max strength, dex, AND intel. Oh, and I think we should all have 5 more control slots. Wait, make that 6 more so I can be mounted with 2 greater dragons. Although 7 more would let my mount be a Nightmare. Ooooh, 8 more would let it be the new warhorse! Ok, 1000 skill, 375 stats, and 12 followers. I think that'll really improve UO. [/sarcasm]
QFT. hehe

Razz

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

pfft you guys.... we dont need 1000 skill caps... We dont need 375 stats caps.

I suggest GOD MODE. It's a perfect balance to all players

S

Starla

Throw in a infinity use valorite runic hammer in my bank box... just joking.

700-720 is good, it makes u think and decide what skills u need for your playstyle and it allows you to explore the strength and limitations of your character.

Redxpanda

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This would make all pvm extremely easy and pvp extremely boring but boy would i love to be able to play around with that much room. They should make a test center like that.

C

Charmed

I personally love this idea but don't think raising skill points to 1000 would work. On the old forum if anyone would remember, there are vets who find the current monsters not challenging enough and they have been playing within the current 720 skill point limit. Imagine if it is increased to 1000?

Everything will become imbalance, all templetes will become overpowered and post on nerfing skills will reappear. :bdh:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
WHY the heck does this post even still exist?!

Beerman72

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
WHY the heck does this post even still exist?!

You know how dogs sometimes cock thier heads due to an odd noise or two? I think that is the honest state of the moderators while viewing threads like this. :D

S

scytale84

ok ok ok ok,

So you do not like my thread. You people need to lay off the flaming. Does OSI really view these posts? Do they really listen to our ideas? As for throwing the game off balance, OSI had nerfed so many skills it is not funny. Balance? When ever was balance present. I have been playing since 1999 and the game was always unbalanced. Show some respect to those who post. I am not expecting everyone to like my idea, but some of those responses were outright disrespectful and demeaning. If you really dislike my threads or suggestions, why not have me banned? All I was wanting was to be able to play as a pure warrior without using necromancy or chivalry and be able to solo. OSI has done some stupid things in the past and present. Greater Dragons were some of OSI's stupider mistakes.

A

Azureal

You see scytale84 attacking Dead Thread!
scytale84 casts Awaken Dead!
Dead Thread awakes!
Dead Thread attacks you for 3927859 damage!
You are dead!

Couple things. This thread is dead. WTF are you thinking. The general consensus was that your idea was crap. Goddamnit.

Secondly, OSI hasnt had anything to do with UO for a VERY LONG TIME.

Epic fail.

*rummages around for decent Fail pciture*

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'd prefer they cap all skills to 100 and adapt the "numbers" of monsters and tames accordingly.
If you want you can even put a cap at 90 that you can unblock with powerscrolls to 95 and 100.
that would be nice but i dont think it will happen hehe can you imagine the complaints from everyone with 120s?

Seinken

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
All I was wanting was to be able to play as a pure warrior without using necromancy or chivalry and be able to solo.
It turns out you can still do this!

120 weaponskill
120 tactics
120 ana
120 heal
120 resist
120 parry, or whatever

And guess what, it also turns out when they introduce new content to keep the people not living in the past (or with delusions on how balance works!) that you need to adapt to keep on top!

If you want to play a solo warrior do it like it was back in the day, joust a dragon and wait for those bandies to go. Just don't try to wack melisandes face in because she will maul you.

Doomsday Dragon

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dude your trippin...

I would be happy with an extra 120 because the only time I need more is when I have to choose between magic resist or parry. But guess what? Having to choose is a good thing because I have a strength and a weakness which is called balance.

Imagine a nasty nox fencer running around with 120 parry and resist. Good luck taking that guy out...

Seriously there is a reason skills are capped at what they are.

A

altarego

Here's an innovative solution:

Allow characters to trade stat points for skill points and vice versa. Then you can truly focus on a few skills and get a stat bonus (with corresponding weaknesses). Or, you can truly become a jack of all trades, with limited stats, but fewer weaknesses.

This won't really be "adding" anything new, but it does open up potential to be a bit more flexible with your templates.

o2bavr6

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I suppose it wouldnt change much in PvM but it would destroy PvP. It's bad enough that someone can remove curse with only 60 skill, let alone add more skill points.

But I will say this, I am open to change, BUT.. I want EA to fix all the current bugs and game imbalances first. Nothing is more infuriating than them adding more content and not fixing the old stuff.

A

Aurianna

1000 Skill Points are too much, i want only 960! :drool:

120 Swords / Mace / Fencing / Archery
120 Anatomy
120 Tactics
120 Parrying
120 Healing
120 Resisting Spells
120 Focus
120 Chivalry / Bushido / Ninjitsu
----------------------------------------------------
960 Skill Points

G

galefan2004

We need more skill points in order for charactars to develop to what they want to be.
While the idea of being a tamer archer stealther might seem interesting to me I'm not sure its going to be balanced in PvP.

Face it, in order to be a decent warrior nowadays you need focus, spell resistance, tactics, melee weapon, and parry as well as anatomy and healing.
Is that why a lot of people have been successful with these characters with lower skill points in many of these skills and some without the skills at all. Also, last time I checked you can get those all with 700 skill points.

However, in order to truly be able to travel and heal and distance fight they need to choose from magery, chivalry, anatomy, healing and archery.
Please point me to the person that melee skills and archery. Please point me to the person that still has magery on their melee/archer. You already said anatomy. You only ever need 80 chivalry on all templates.

What if I do not want to be a paladin. What if I do not want to carry regs or scrolls around in order to travel and heal. What if i want a pure warrior character, one without magery or chivalry.
Then make one? The template for a pure meleer is not as tight as that for a hybrid.

In order to do this properly, one needs Focus, Anatomy, Healing, Magic resist, parry, tactics, melee weapon, archery, and possibly bushido.
This game is about picking and chosing. If you don't want to pick and chose you are playing the wrong game. First of all thats 9 skills less you want to take them all to 120 (in which case you need 1080) or 110 (where you need 990) then you don't even need 1000. Also, you don't need focus...its called stam regen and mana regen. You don't really need magic resist (although it helps). You don't need archery and a melee skill on the same template unless you are some messed up pvp build that is worried about being disarmed repeatedly.

I don't think you thought this out at all. I mean with 1000 skill points.

Taming
Lore
Archery
Tactics
Magery
Eval
Meditation
Hiding
Stealth
Ninjitsu

While you might relish the idea of going up against a stealth archer weilding a greater dragon I'm sure most people do not. Or on the PvM side you could easily make one hell of a tamer bard that could solo just about everything.

I suggest 1000 skill points. If I had that I would drop chivalry and use a runebook and recall scrolls to travel. Its just a suggestion.[/QUOTE]

G

galefan2004

I wouldn't object as much if we got a modest raise in the skill cap but at the same time, all the skill + items were removed. Then the folks who used items just to extend their skill cap would be able to train, and those who just CBA training don't get the benefits otherwise. Now that I would support.
They added skill items to bypass the need for some players to have to train annoying skills that they were refusing to train already. Why do you think there weren't many tamers in the early years of this game?

If you raise the skill cap and remove the skill items you better make skills that are annoyingly stupid to gain gainable. They never seemed to want to do that, so they used the same method they always use to ease players frustration...throw pixelated crack at them.

G

galefan2004

I actually LOVE this idea. However, I'd go with just having the old caps back. It was messed up that they had to change the skills in p16 to actually require powerscrolls to begin with.

G

galefan2004

[sarcasm] Ok, 1000 skill, 375 stats, and 12 followers. I think that'll really improve UO. [/sarcasm]
I'll settle for a 320 stat cap that can be adjusted with powerscrolls and don't cap the individual stats any longer. I mean who wouldn't want 180 dex 100 str 40 int for their dexxer.

I'm totally on board for the extra control slots. Although it should be 13 because it requires 13 for two greater dragons and a war horse.

G

galefan2004

hmm... Buy a 9.99 token to get +20 skill cap increase
I like this idea. I'm not a huge fan of having the skill cap increase be a veteran reward. It makes it so that I would never open an account that isn't 4 years old, and that bodes well for the brokers.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
They added skill items to bypass the need for some players to have to train annoying skills that they were refusing to train already. Why do you think there weren't many tamers in the early years of this game?

If you raise the skill cap and remove the skill items you better make skills that are annoyingly stupid to gain gainable. They never seemed to want to do that, so they used the same method they always use to ease players frustration...throw pixelated crack at them.
I think virtually every time I've suggested removing skill + items, I've stated that skill gaining needs to be looked at. I wouldn't say make it super easy, but more based on normal gameplay than spamming this spell or that one. I wouldn't mind it taking time, it's just mind numbing to sit doing the same thing repeatedly, then at each skill level, move to the next repetitive task.

Just now, there's no incentive to train certain skills beyond a certain level, because you can twink them. They're "difficult" to train, so players opt for the easy option and rely on them like a kid with stabilisers on a bike. There is no incentive with some skills to train, so players opt out altogether. Yet get all the abilities as if they had trained. Crazy. But then, there are so many players now who want everything handed to them, it's obvious why we have advanced chars, skill + items and overpowered arties. And I truly doubt EA will change that situation, because that seems to be their target market now with UO.

Wenchy