Question regarding Sam-pally template

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 26, 2005
Lebanon, Ohio
Ok, if you run a Samurai-Paladin (Bushido-Chivalry) then you probably know not to use a shield as your Bushido does better blocking than your Parry skill will. (see this link for info on that).

My question is...I wanted to use a Lajatang for its Damage Over Time battle effect, and it hits pretty hard. But I found that when I was using a Double Bladed Staff I was blocking FAR more effectively than I was when using the Lajatang. The only thing I can guess that may cause this is the swing speed on the weapon. Can anyone offer any ideas why I seem to block more using the Double Bladed Staff instead of the Lajatang?

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
Most likely... you aren't blocking less... or you are, but it's just coincidence that you've gotten into a bad luck streak with the Random Number Generator after you switched.

You are not supposed to block any more or less with 2h weapons as compared to other 2h weapons.

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 26, 2005
Lebanon, Ohio
Hmmm. Well, I can definitely say that there is an amazing difference. The only two differing factors I can see is the weapon speed and the weapon base damage. I suppose it might be possible that its simply that the bladed staff hits faster thus allowing me to kill the monster I'm attacking quicker, therefore I take less damage. I'll have to keep my eye out for a high swing speed increase Lajatang. I would be able to believe its just a "rut" of bad luck, but I've been testing it all morning, and I definitely do see a difference.

Thank you though for the input Gildar. :)

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
Are you comparing the number of times you took damage as opposed to the number of times you didn't? Or the number of times you took damage as opposed to the number of times you parried?

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 26, 2005
Lebanon, Ohio
The number of times I took damage. Wait...I think. Basically I only have to use my bandies about twice when fighting one fan-dancer when using a bladed staff. But when I use a Lajatang I have to use them about 4 - 6 times. The bladed staff is a fast hitting weapon, and the one I am using has 15% swing speed increase on it. The Lajatang has a base swing speed of 3 and the one I'm using has 10% swing speed increase.

The Bladed staff hits weaker, but is faster, the Lajatang hits harder, but is a slower weapon.

Weird huh?

kinney42

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 13, 2008
Take the variables out of the equation. Try not attacking back. Put 1 weapon in your hand and let the creature beat on you for a min counting the # of parries. Then do the same with the other weapon. Do that a bunch of times, recording the # of parries and average them.
SCIENCE!

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
The number of times I took damage.
Was there any DCI on the bladed staff?
Were there any resists on the bladed staff?
Was the bladed staff a UBWS weapon, and your fencing lower than some other weapon skill?
Are you killing the Fan Dancer as quickly with the Lajatang?
How many Fan Dancers did you kill with each weapon while paying attention to how much damage you were taking?

Bob_the_fart_guy

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 26, 2005
Lebanon, Ohio
* No DCI, the only mods are the swing speed increase on both weapons.

* No resists on either of the weapons.

* No use best weapon skill, and the only weapon skill I have is fencing.

* It takes longer with the Lajatang.

* I've now killed 75 fan dancers with each weapon.

And I actually did try your suggestion Kinney, but couldn't really tell a difference. I did however think of one thing...maybe someone could help me with. Is it possible that fan dancers reflect some physical damage? If that is the case maybe I'm taking some of the same damage that I'm dishing out. Could that be what I'm encountering?

And thank you again for your attention to this. :D

Gildar

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Apr 22, 2004
Rochester, NY
illandril.net
Since it takes longer with the Lajatang, you are going to take more damage, but the damage over time might be the same.
And yes, Fan Dancers do reflect some physical damage.