Question re: dealing with the exploit...

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
E

ephemeral

I am curious...is the current response to the exploit which occurred today the standard procedure for dealing with such attacks, is EA-Land in serious jeopardy?

First, the introduction of a large amount of cash into the game was supposed to have triggered an automatic (and presumably, immediate) shutdown of EA-Land. It didn't happen--which is okay, there are some bugs that might need to be worked out.

If the response however, is to manually try to sanitize EA-Land every time this happens (by remediation of objects, moneys, etc.)...we're going to be spending an awful lot of time offline--not to mention the manpower needs that EA will have just to check logs and clean up the db).

Certainly too, the hackers will learn that large infusions of money will trigger a response and simply change their MO to introducing smaller amounts--less detectable amounts.

I don't know how many people are out there with the skills and knowledge to accomplish the programming feats necessary to create "artificial" EA wealth--but I suspect that there's quite a few. This is certainly not going to be the last attempt to mess with the EA-Land economy, anyone can figure that out--but are we going to be spending days offline every time some clown decides there's an easier way to make Simoleans than working in the city or at money houses?

I realize that discussion of the methods of the exploiters is not permitted, however, I'm wondering if some kind of explanation of what occurred is possible--so that we may be informed players? We don't need detail, just what to look for. I'd like to know how these guys were spotted to begin with, what did they do that was suspicious--so that we all may be quicker to report hinky behavior.

(edited for grammar and syntax)

G

First of all no one hacked the game. They exploited a bug. Someone found a bug that gave them money and told other sims about it and they kept doing it over and over and got rich and spent the the money. They violated TSO rules on bug reporting among several other things. Example... shoot a connon then do a touch down dance then go pee then get money. I do not know what the bug was but please remember if u find a bug report it do not exploit it.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

First, the introduction of a large amount of cash into the game was supposed to have triggered an automatic (and presumably, immediate) shutdown of EA-Land. It didn't happen--which is okay, there are some bugs that might need to be worked out.

[/ QUOTE ]
I asked this question in another thread. <blockquote><hr>

..."When exploits were discussed months ago at the Pub we were told that EA had a system in place that would sound off a warning and immediately shut down the game if there was a sudden influx of simoleans. Why did this not occur?"...

[/ QUOTE ]
This was Parizad's answer.<blockquote><hr>

The sound off happened. We all got a lovely e-mail when we were all asleep. However, the city did not shut down. I don't have an answer as to why. We can't begin to look at that until we've put out the current fire.

Right now, our #1 issue is to get you guys back in EA-Land.

[/ QUOTE ]
This tells me it will be awhile before we can have cash out. They need to figure out why their system did not immediately shut down the city with this sudden influx of simoleans. Can you imagine the the CEO of Electronic Arts being told that millions of dollars was just paid out to a group of exploiters in EA Land?

G

I have to assume some of the people didn't realize what was going on. If I was in game, I would have reported the issue, but at the same time would have thought they increased payouts finally. Again, I would hope some of the people (Mind you we have no idea who these people are) were innocent and, me personally, should not be penalized for their actions.

A

Anarela

That's why we are still down, because they are doing everything to clean the "mess" so people that were not directly involved in the exploit will not have to pay for the "sins" of others...

I agree with what has been said, once and again... if you find a money bug, report it... don't exploit it.-..

Hey!!! maybe it should be our motto...

C

Camile

Just a dumb question, but what was the exploit? As my 2 sims (long time paid accouts both) were sitting in my store all night due to the incredible lag, which kept me from moving my sims anywhere. Feeding them and getting them to the bathroom was trouble enuff.

Mega-Huge-Lagg kept any visitors from buying or interacting with me all evening long.

V

vapd3317

Sorry,...wish I could explain, but it would be against the ToS/RoC to describe the exploit. Unless the DEVs or MODs or other PTB determine that the details could be released, we have to simply accept that "something" happened requiring them to shut down the city.

G

We may never know. When it comes to exploits and bugs, they usually won't tell us what caused it or how it is fixed. Thus is life when it comes to online gaming... lol

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

Sorry,...wish I could explain, but it would be against the ToS/RoC to describe the exploit. Unless the DEVs or MODs or other PTB determine that the details could be released, we have to simply accept that "something" happened requiring them to shut down the city.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't understand the reasoning why an exploit cannot be discussed if the ability to do it has already been fixed so that it can't happen again.

G

Details of exploits - present or past - are never allowed to be discussed. You never no when an old version of code will make its way back into the production environment. The last thing we want is a bunch of people testing old exploits in every new update we get.

V

vapd3317

Im not that computer savvy,...but the way I understand it is if the details are made public knowledge, someone who knows programming could determine a work around for the fix and then replicate the exploit. The same way a PC virus builder is able to circumvent current virus detection programs.

G

If you have a person who knows how to do exploits and cause bugs, telling them how it happened would give them an idea of what else to try. Yes, the original way it was done is gone... but giving people ideas of how to change the "code" or design of how something should work is never a good idea.

A

Anarela

Hear you...

We are better off just waiting for the devs to sort this problem out, and crossing fingers (all of them) so it doesn't happen again soon.

Edited for clarity:

at the stupid people that wanted money and made MY FAVORITE game come to a halt this long...

C

Camile

Hey, I told ya it was a dumb ques! =D
I completely understand, and your answers make total sense to me..no prob here, Actually I dont want to know, never wanted to know and am shutting up now...zips lips
I have extremely imprortant business to attend to anyway..goes back to staring at page, waiting for the blue light to signal EA-Land is online

Z

Zsazsa Zee

ACK !!!! ....sorry to hear there was an exploit. I've been dealing with my root canal so I haven't been in the game much. I hope that it's fixed soon ( whatever it was )
Thank you for catching it.

G

*Stands in front of EA-Land doing annoying Mervyn's ad that was on TV many moons ago* Open Open Open Open

G

well since the city was down most of the day, and all night it would seem tough for you or anyone to be having lag in EALand last night.

As for the oopsie, well the only ones who know are the devs and they are taking it to the grave, or at least if they told you, they would have to kill you lol.

I

imported_remflyer

<blockquote><hr>

Im not that computer savvy,...but the way I understand it is if the details are made public knowledge, someone who knows programming could determine a work around for the fix and then replicate the exploit. The same way a PC virus builder is able to circumvent current virus detection programs.

[/ QUOTE ]
OK I hear what you are saying but do you realize details of past exploits in TSO, have been available on other boards? If someone wanted to educate themselves on past TSO exploits the information is out there. Not discussing it here does not stop anyone who really wants to know.

G

Well I think we were all experiencing reall bad lag last night. Heck my computer didn't even show I tried to log into EA-Land last night... lol

J

JustHowItIs

I been reading about this for 2 days now and i am amazed now everyone puts 100% of the blame on the players. Yes i do know how it all happened and yes i know not to say, but i will say it was easy enough for a 2 year old to do. The blame needs to be put on both players AND the devs for letting it happen. The exploit was reported hours before anything was done about it. Im Not here to attack anyone, just tellin it how it is. Sick of hearing people calling the players Hackers, when it wasnt a hack. It was Something that could have been prevented.

A

Anarela

<blockquote><hr>

I been reading about this for 2 days now and i am amazed now everyone puts 100% of the blame on the players. Yes i do know how it all happened and yes i know not to say, but i will say it was easy enough for a 2 year old to do. The blame needs to be put on both players AND the devs for letting it happen. The exploit was reported hours before anything was done about it. Im Not here to attack anyone, just tellin it how it is. Sick of hearing people calling the players Hackers, when it wasnt a hack. It was Something that could have been prevented.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure it could... IF they HAD REPORTED IT as soon as they found out...

Which goes to the point of... why didn't they??? hmmmm *scratches head* why would you "exploit" a bug instead of reporting it???

Leaving the answer to you my friend...

J

JustHowItIs

It Was Reported At 7:30am. Game kept running til noon. And i am not 1 thats gonna sit here and kiss all the devs butts. They are human like everyone else. and they need to take part blame for it as well as the players.

G

Of course it falls on both sides. That is a given. If the code was tested fully, the dev team would have caught it. But, the dev team cannot check every piece of code. It is up to us as a community to notify them of bugs and problems. It is also up to us to try and report them as soon as possible so the newbies in the game who don't know any better don't take advantage.

J

JustHowItIs

My point exactly. Im not putting all the blame on the devs. But all i been reading about it how the players are hackers and cheaters. Kinda gets on my nerves and had to speak my mind before i went crazy.

G

Well, the reason everyone is blaming some players is because if they did follow the TOS, they would have reported it right away and none of this would be going on. Truth be told, some people were hoping to get some extra cash in and take advantage until the dev team was notified. That is where these players are to be blamed. Find a bug? Yay for you. Tell someone... lol. Continue to use the bug? Now you are getting into an area you shouldn't be.

I think the dev team responded fine on this one. Some store owners are going to lose money, but I am sure the dev team will compensate them in other ways. Nothing says the store owners won't get their items back instead of the cash. Who knows. I say the dev team responded in the right fashion and are handling this the right way. Believe me, this will not be the last time EA-Land goes down like this.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless of whether or not it was a 'hack' it was an exploit, and players CAN choose not to partake in an exploit. If you see a wallet chocked full of money laying on the ground and you pick it up and pocket it instead of taking it to police it IS your responsibility, not the responsibility of the person who dropped it or the cops for not picking it up before somebody stole it, the way you seem to infer. So, you might not like hearing it, but just because the exploit was around for hours before it was extinguished in NO WAY justifies all the many people who used it from doing so. I seriously doubt anybody can say 'I didn't know it was an exploit' if it gave you as many simoleans as we're talking about in a short short amount of time, so nobody can claim innocence or ignorance if they took part in it at all.

I

imported_DutchAmerica

<blockquote><hr>

My point exactly. Im not putting all the blame on the devs. But all i been reading about it how the players are hackers and cheaters. Kinda gets on my nerves and had to speak my mind before i went crazy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...should we call them Saints and Angels?

A cheater is a cheater. A hacker is a hacker.

There's always gonna be someone out in the world trying to get something for free whether they deserve it or not. And the only fault there is to place is on the people doing it.

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

So... If I'm walking by a bank, and the vault is open... I can just grab cash and run. If I get caught I can tell the five-o "O, I'm a noob I don't know any better"

Its all in the terms of service.

I do not feel bad for anyone who exploited and got caught.

I'm sorta obnoxious that way.

o. and I always like the "I tell it like it is, I kiss no butt, if you can't handle the truth don't read it."

Its aces.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...should we call them Saints and Angels?

A cheater is a cheater. A hacker is a hacker.

There's always gonna be someone out in the world trying to get something for free whether they deserve it or not. And the only fault there is to place is on the people doing it.

[/ QUOTE ]Bingo. People are so desperate for money in game they will do anything to make more. Coming from millions in the other cities, they don't realize we have to work for our money. They found a bug in a beta game... they should have reported it and stopped what they were doing. Instead they continued and said nothing. Welcome to the real world. People will do anything for whatever they feel is owed to them. Not explaining it. If I was in game when this happened, I know i would have reported it right away.

V

vapd3317

<blockquote><hr>

It Was Reported At 7:30am. Game kept running til noon. And i am not 1 thats gonna sit here and kiss all the devs butts. They are human like everyone else. and they need to take part blame for it as well as the players.

[/ QUOTE ]

EXCUSE ME???? There may have been a discrepancy with the game, but how does that make it that the DEVs should be blamed for players with a LACK OF MORAL CHARACTER to avoid doing something so blatantly wrong? ...you have GOT to be kidding. None of them had a gun held to their heads forcing them to actively participate in the exploit. Those that did it did so of their OWN FREE WILL, with NO intention of reporting it. Those COULD have, and SHOULD have immediately ceased any and all actions associated with the bug instead of continuing on.

The fact that the game didn't get shut down for a few hours after it was identified is not the issue at hand, the issue is the fact that some players TOOK ADVANTAGE of a weakness in the game instead of helping to prevent it from getting as far as it did.

J

JustHowItIs

Im not saying the players that exploited are innocent. just like you said " if the vault was open". Well in my opinion the one that left that vault open needs to take the blame as well.

G

Once again, I am proven right when I say "as long as there are greedy ppl playing this game, the economy will never be stable again"!! Why can't greedy ppl keep their greed to their real life and leave this game alone?

H

hollythor

LOL, I think some of the noobs, are olds....pretending to be noobs so they simply get a smack on the hand. One post tried blaming the free accts for the bug. Shoot, everyone is to blame lately it seems. Well blame no further peeps, these devs see every transaction that goes on, they can trace where it began, they can find out who began this massive exploit. Mark my words, I trust the devs will act accordingly in punishing those truly at fault. There have been numerous posts from Parizad saying that if you were just an innocent bistandard that happened to receive dirty money, then it will be reversed. So some of you ppl need to PLEASE stop playing the blame game. It is being handled.

H

hollythor

you know if I had an emoticon that could applaud I'd put it here. Thank you for saying so, I agree completely!

G

<blockquote><hr>

Im not saying the players that exploited are innocent. just like you said " if the vault was open". Well in my opinion the one that left that vault open needs to take the blame as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Leaving the vault open" doesn't apply here, no one left it open, it was a bug, and bugs happen, especially when the devs are pressed for time which they have been pressured and bothered repeatedly to get the game merged and get it going, so it's only natural that some bugs are going to come out during this time. If you can't deal with it, then keep your stupid comments to yourself!!

G

<blockquote><hr>

you know if I had an emoticon that could applaud I'd put it here. Thank you for saying so, I agree completely!

[/ QUOTE ]

H

hollythor

GAWD, I am posting way too much. Can't walk around today, completely bored out of my mind. So this is my last for a while anyway....REMEMBER: We are complaining about not getting into ealand to PLAY. The Devs are NOT playing, they are WORKING, long hours at that. Think...what if they have kids at home? What if one of those kids has his/her first recital and they cannot attend because they are WORKING. We are sitting on our arses with no life with some ppl and complaining we can't PLAY. Get a life some of you that complain. Clean your house, take a walk if able. Get a job, call a friend, get an english dictionary and study. Send a ty email to a dev.
Thank you, and out for now.

C

chaser27

<font color="red"> Im not really sure what the big deal is here? Discount the month to PAYING subscribers due to faulty programmer errors. You cant charge for us sitting here while you fix what you should have fixed before you put this game online and charged REAL money for it. So....Fix the bug, you know who did it, Ban and Cancel them, take all they had, divide it up between all paying accounts. Problem solved, lets get back to EA Land Improved part II, with a $2.50 discount per paying customer for having to wait so long. $9.95 per 2 accounts is what I pay, so I can sit here and not play the game I paid for? Come on... Discount the customers for this...! </font>

I

imported_MattelMichele

Whew! There's a whole lotta nastiness round here!

I am very glad the dev's were able to put an end to whatever needed to end (exploit/bug that is). On a lighter note am i the only one going all *twitchy* to play my newly merged sim from bf or is this just some cruel joke, hehe.

Knocks on wood (KOW!!) that the dev's have had a sucessful makin-it-right session.

I

imported_Shirl1211

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with you on this also. Humans are not made infalible. Considering the high technology involved in designing and modifying an on-line game like this one is very hard to do and certain things can enter into the game by an accidental slip of the finger. We as humans expect another to do the right thing if they are confronted upon a situation such as what happened yesterday. I guess what your implying is that they change their occupation to babysitter and forget everything else that they have worked hundreds of hours on.

V

vapd3317

I understand where you are coming from,...but the game is STILL playable by choosing TC3 instead of EAland. The fact that one city is down would not constitute a valid reason for any discount or refund simply because a person did not want to play in another city.

G

<blockquote><hr>

<font color="red"> Im not really sure what the big deal is here? Discount the month to PAYING subscribers due to faulty programmer errors. You cant charge for us sitting here while you fix what you should have fixed before you put this game online and charged REAL money for it. So....Fix the bug, you know who did it, Ban and Cancel them, take all they had, divide it up between all paying accounts. Problem solved, lets get back to EA Land Improved part II, with a $2.50 discount per paying customer for having to wait so long. $9.95 per 2 accounts is what I pay, so I can sit here and not play the game I paid for? Come on... Discount the customers for this...! </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Its only .33 cents a day... thats less than the price of coffee it takes to feed kids in Africa.

A

Anarela

And what is with all that red????

Are you bleeding that bad????

The devs are doing everything in their power to have us playing again... go to TC3 and chill

G

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]I disagree with you here. Nobody is keeping you out of the game. TC3 is still open and playable. The decision to not play there during EAL's downtime is yours, and yours alone.

I

imported_Herbal

Just to throw this out there and something to think about. Back in beta of 2002 when we had a money exploit, the cities were wiped. Thank you Devs for cleaning up the mess without doing that.