• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[Blacksmithing] Question about gain rate

D

Dragonchilde

A friend and I are standing around smithing. He's at 87, and I'm now at 95.

I've been gaining skill at a phenomenal rate... him, not so much. In the time we've been here (roughly three hours) i've gone from 90.1 to 95... he's gone from 85 to 87.

He's been making gorgets at a success rate of around 55%, I'm making circlets at a success rate of 62% or so. We've both eaten a 110 scroll.

The only thing I can think is that possibly my talisman is affecting my gain rates... I'm wearing a Blacksmithing exceptional bonus of 17% - no other bonuses.

Could this be affecting my skill gain THAT much? Or at all?

What on earth could cause me to gain skill at nearly three times the rate he is, when he's almost a full ten points lower than me?

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
According to the devs, the fastest gain rates are between 60% & 80% success.

He needs to drop down to shurikens or short spears for faster gains (not to mention using less ingots)

D

Dragonchilde

Now, that makes a bit more sense to me. :) Thanks basara! (It was around 2 AM when I posted that - I couldn't see the forest for the trees!)

O

Old Man of UO

One thing that I noticed about talismans, specifically using one for tailoring gains, is that I gained MUCH faster creating exceptional items, and using a talisman with just exceptional bonus gave me the fastest gains. I went to GM tailoring in less than 3 days. I assume blacksmithing would be similar, or else I just got very lucky.

D

Dragonchilde

It really seems to be working that way for me... I was sitting around chatting to at least two other people who have legendary smiths, and they were stunned at my point-by-point gains.