• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Publish 105 Forgotten Treasures Release 2 on Test Center

Whitewolf of *VK*

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I have read it a couple times, maybe im just missing it, my eyes are starting to get kinda bad but I cant find anywhere it says they are removing the mining requirement to find chests easier.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
  • Cartography skill required to decode a map at a given level has been re-balanced to work with the new levels.
  • Mining is no longer required to gain a bonus to dig radius, instead this bonus is now based on Cartography skill.
From the first edition publish notes

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After doing some more checking, While I loved T-Hunting, I am going to turn all my maps in for Cleanup points and just call it quits on this aspect of the game. It was time consuming before and with the added time for puzzles I just dont see the fun in this anymore. Chests were a great source for unraveling items, no not so much. Once this goes live the turn in points for the higher level maps is being reduced, I got this from looking on Test Center. I will wait until it goes live on the first shards and then dump all in trash if it goes in like it is on Test.
For the record here are the Test Center turn ins for the maps compared to the Live values

On Test
50 for Stash
100 for Supply
250 for Cache
500 for Horde
750 for Trove

On Live shards
50 for plain
100 for expertly
250 for Adept
500 for Clever
750 for Deviously
1000 for ingenious
1500 For Diabolical

Most of my maps are Devious and ingenious so I would stand to be out alot of points. I may just spend this next rainy weekend completing as many as I can. Going to need a grave stone for another character that is just going to hold skills.

I could deal with the skill revamp of this template, I didnt like it but could deal with it. I just wont be able to stand the Puzzle crap along with the remove trap.

I am not quiting by any means, I have been here too long and will most likely have an active account until I die or they close this place down. Good luck to everyone that thinks this is a fun addition.

zamot

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
No way, your really going to not hand me the loot! You mean I might have to use a character slot or buy some soul stones? Pancaking hell I am a anti- social and you want me to do what in UO.. I been paying for for twenty years.... what you cray-cray? I would really like to peep in your medicine cabinets.

To which was replied ...
Keith? I do believe that was a pretty good bit of sarcasm and poking of fun at various complaints we all spew.

Parnoc

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
So basically what I'm hearing is there will be nothing left in the chest to loot once I finally finish punishing myself... my friends if any come with me will be bored stiff and all standing about for zero loot by the time we are done...

Some of those puzzles done in Khaldun took a VERY long time to get all the way through the senquence and I'm sure if something poofs each time I fail there certainly will not be anything in the chest...

What I'm really hearing though is throw away all higher level maps as they won't be worth doing and no one will be doing them as they are a complete waste of time and effort for little to no reward...

Nice one @Kyronix what do you want to destroy next?

Am I being harsh? Sorry but really ..... think about this. I did those puzzles 100's of times in the dungeon at Christmas time... got loads of junk from them... trying like heck to get the statue things... which I managed to get ONE of, period... out of thousands of chests opened... NOT really my idea of great wasn't terribly fun and was disappointing as hell to get nothing 9 times out of 10... And to top it off now each time I fail something is destroyed? Do you have any idea how many times you can fail on ONE of those puzzles? More than there is stuff in the chests now. That much I know. You want me to GM yet another stupid skill fine.. but make it actually do something for me then... Make it so I don't have to destroy everything to get the loot... GM the stupid remove trap and NO PUZZLES.... just open the thing.

Come on... Please don't make this another Refinement ...

How does this sound like an improvement over what we have now??? To me this sounds like a GIANT leap BACKWARDS.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just got finished talking to Kyronix on TC. I asked him about luck and he confirmed it is the treasure hunter's luck that matters and it is applied when the chest is created. Luck for other party members doesn't matter.

We also talked about training remove trap. I mentioned about gains being sparse/almost nonexistent at skill levels over 59 using the puzzle training boxes. He said they should be there, and for any of the three types of puzzles. Can more people try them out, please, at various levels of RT skill and report what you're seeing? I also mentioned to him that maybe the gains were so slow/nonexistent because I was training RT on a char that had all her other skills maxed. He said that shouldn't matter and the speed of the gains is based on the level of the skill you're training and not affected by the total of all the char's skills.

Also, he reiterated that the loot on Cache chests is the same as the loot on Horde and Trove chests, so if you want to go solo and don't want to mess with the puzzles, do Cache maps. So....go do lots of cache maps on TC and check out the loot. Remember the quantity goes up if you have other characters in your party. Try not to get hung up about the puzzles at this point if your goal is to solo maps, not do puzzles, and get loot. Do the Cache maps and tell him what you think of them.

Also, we didn't specifically discuss this, but I think we need a whole lot more people to be keeping track of what else is spawning in the chests besides the gold and gems. How many maps are still coming up basically empty except for gold and gems? Let's get him feedback on this particular issue so they can look into fixing it. I get the sense they don't intend to have chests coming up with just gold and gems.

I found the glasses below in a Warrior Supply chest. Kyronix confirmed they will all have the same resists. It's the cartography bonus amount that will change and could be 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5. I haven't played with these yet to see if they are imbuable, powderable, etc.
legendary mapmaker glasses.jpg

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess you wear the glasses when decoding the map and then put on your luck hat.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm not sure about the added value of those cartography glasses. Are they of any use if you've already brought your skill to GM?

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I'm not sure about the added value of those cartography glasses. Are they of any use if you've already brought your skill to GM?
According to others, it's like the +5 mining gloves it takes you beyond GM. Now whether this means anything or not we'll see I guess... I rather think of the going from GM Magery to 120 Magery we got with PS... which IMO was a backwards slide... where before I never fizzled casting gate at GM and now you do... all the time.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm just grateful there is no way the Devs can revamp the cheese.
Don't put it past them. Publish 184 : Cheesemaking

In order to make cheese you will first need to make a cheese mold. This will require GM carpentry and 7 different part assemblies made by a tinker from valorite ingots. The part ingredients can be found on rare dreadhorn and Travesty drops. Once constructed you can make 7 types of cheese. Each cheese will appear in 5 different random hues. The cheese will give you a boost to one of your resists by 2% for 7 minutes with a 4 hour cooldown. The type of resist will be dependent upon which type of cow you obtain the milk from by using the 'Camping' skill near a cow to milk it. It will take 20 bottles of milk for one cheese wheel. You will need to tend the milk curd once per day using a mixture of cooked ingredients by a GM Cook and added daily. Once properly cultivated the cheese will take 4 weeks to properly age. At this time you will need to unlock the cheese mold using the Detect Hidden skill using a special key crafted by a GM Tinker using rare Phoenix blood. There is a special phrase each type of cheese will require to be chanted as the mold is unlocked. Improper phrasing will cause the cheese to spoil. Before eating the cheese you will need to purchase a special cheese slicer from the UO Store for 500 soverign for 10 uses.

Its the new UO. Fun for no one.

Minerva Foxglove

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Im not t-hunting on TC just doing puzzles. Its ok for training thats all. The Circuit one is easy but items will pof. Cylinder is somewhat time consuming and there will be alot of poffing even if you have a tactic. Slider I much harder and time consuming. I did 4-5 different pictures and its ok if you stand in Britain on tc.. But out in the jungle with a party that has nothing to do...A whole other thing, and a reason I solo my maps. I have in the past done it with guildies and that puts more stress to it , knowing they get bored. After a while they are not killing the jungle spawn while you focus on the puzzle. They are watching forums, wandering off to make tea, or starting to pvp with eachothers . And then ofcourse I have to do the same for others . Be the one getting bored and see my time to play dissapear, hoping to get done before its time to make dinner... Keep them as a way to train but please skip them at the hunting itself!

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
If you have gm remove trap do you still need to do STUPID PUZZLES to open the damn chests? Sorry I am traveling atm and don't have access to play the game nor struggle doing stuff on test centre, but it seems they are totally destroying treasure hunting.

Could someone do a quick step by step for me as to what you need to do to get a chest open. Assume I already have my map decoded and am on the spot to dig.

Tarragon Slayer/MZB

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As soon as your chest, appears, MissEcho, guardians spawn. You eliminate them first, then use your lockpicks or skeleton key to try to open the chest. I expect a master skeleton key will also work (didn't test that).
For every fail at trying to unlock the chest, at least one item is destroyed. After the lock yields to your skill, a window opens with a puzzle. I've done two puzzles, and remember these from the Experimental room.
I'm not sure if you lose items for every puzzle fail. I'd need to experiment more to know for certain. If that is the case, then it would be rather silly to dig up chests anymore since hardly anyone will succeed at one of the puzzles at first attempt.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
@Minerva Foxglove and @MalagAste I so completely agree with all you said, I find this 'revamp' beyond frustrating, what used to be quite fun and relaxing is turning into an unpleasant ordeal. Sure there will be half a dozen people who like everything or who will just tolerate anything new for the sake of something to do, but what about the rest of us? If they carry on down this road then a couple of months after the publish goes live a huge number of t-hunters won't be bothering any more. This was my most fun character along with my fisher, I guess MIBs will be going exactly the same way. My sub runs out in August but with nothing to do after June I doubt I will last that long. :(

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So why do you need the remove trap skill? I don't get it?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Don't put it past them. Publish 184 : Cheesemaking

In order to make cheese you will first need to make a cheese mold. This will require GM carpentry and 7 different part assemblies made by a tinker from valorite ingots. The part ingredients can be found on rare dreadhorn and Travesty drops. Once constructed you can make 7 types of cheese. Each cheese will appear in 5 different random hues. The cheese will give you a boost to one of your resists by 2% for 7 minutes with a 4 hour cooldown. The type of resist will be dependent upon which type of cow you obtain the milk from by using the 'Camping' skill near a cow to milk it. It will take 20 bottles of milk for one cheese wheel. You will need to tend the milk curd once per day using a mixture of cooked ingredients by a GM Cook and added daily. Once properly cultivated the cheese will take 4 weeks to properly age. At this time you will need to unlock the cheese mold using the Detect Hidden skill using a special key crafted by a GM Tinker using rare Phoenix blood. There is a special phrase each type of cheese will require to be chanted as the mold is unlocked. Improper phrasing will cause the cheese to spoil. Before eating the cheese you will need to purchase a special cheese slicer from the UO Store for 500 soverign for 10 uses.

Its the new UO. Fun for no one.
You forgot to mention that NONE of this will stack......

The changes to tmapping are DESTROYING the whole thing. We wanted a loot upgrade to useful loot.... not a whole revamp turning it into just another bloody grindfest with stupid puzzles and loot being destroyed at every turn for a chest full of ash and total crap. Maybe they an give us a toggle, old tmap skills, new tmap skills. I wish they would just bugger off and leave it alone.

@Kyronix

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So basically what I'm hearing is there will be nothing left in the chest to loot once I finally finish punishing myself... my friends if any come with me will be bored stiff and all standing about for zero loot by the time we are done...

Some of those puzzles done in Khaldun took a VERY long time to get all the way through the senquence and I'm sure if something poofs each time I fail there certainly will not be anything in the chest...

What I'm really hearing though is throw away all higher level maps as they won't be worth doing and no one will be doing them as they are a complete waste of time and effort for little to no reward...

Nice one @Kyronix what do you want to destroy next?

Am I being harsh? Sorry but really ..... think about this. I did those puzzles 100's of times in the dungeon at Christmas time... got loads of junk from them... trying like heck to get the statue things... which I managed to get ONE of, period... out of thousands of chests opened... NOT really my idea of great wasn't terribly fun and was disappointing as hell to get nothing 9 times out of 10... And to top it off now each time I fail something is destroyed? Do you have any idea how many times you can fail on ONE of those puzzles? More than there is stuff in the chests now. That much I know. You want me to GM yet another stupid skill fine.. but make it actually do something for me then... Make it so I don't have to destroy everything to get the loot... GM the stupid remove trap and NO PUZZLES.... just open the thing.

Come on... Please don't make this another Refinement ...

How does this sound like an improvement over what we have now??? To me this sounds like a GIANT leap BACKWARDS.

Totally agree. Even with the Christmas chests. The reward from them would have been great, if not shard bound. But you work them and work them, and only get one of the damned statues, you can't buy the others to make a set cause you can't get them home. Way to go Team!!!:cheerleader:

I can;'t tell you how many times we opened a lvl 6 and got trash that would have been ashamed to be in a Deviously map. No one asked for all this crap, and no one with the exception of the cheerleaders is saying it's okay. Evidently no one on the team plays enough as a normal player to know what loot is and isn't good, or they would have been able to figure out what a "lloot bump" is.

Ovethought, Overwrought, Overcomplicated. It's the way everything now is going. I suspect it's Mesanna's fault, since she is the Producer probably her idea to do all this. I dunno.

If we wanted to play a different game, we would. Quit f#%&() up UO and it's basics-improvement does NOT mean overhaul.

Now, I'm off to do my maps while they can be done by a t-hunter instead of a puzzlemaker.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want randomly generated loot but don't want to do puzzles and/or have to use lockpicking, do Cache chests. Per Kyronix, the loot will be the same as on horde and trove chests. The opportunity for verything else that could spawn in the chests (other than t-maps won't spawn in trove chests and recipe scrolls spawn in artisan cache chests but not in artisan horde or trove chests) is the same. The monsters would also be different between cache and horde or trove.

If you want to try horde or trove chests without having mobs spawn, check out the no-mob horde and trove maps on TC from blue clickies at the commons.

Give feedback on the official forums regarding loot, RT training with puzzles, and solving puzzles on chests.

Jelinidas

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
So on Cache chests I only have to throw out one EV and hide instead of two for higher level ones. The fun for me NOW is soloing 6s and 7s because of the challenge of the monsters. Who the hell does treasure hunting as a group? How boring!

Prince Erik

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
After sleeping on all of this, I'm ready to bury my disappointment and move on. I've always accepted that there are many things in UO that I enjoy and some things I do not. While it's hard to move something from the "enjoy" to the "do not enjoy" category, it does happen now and then. I loved doing high level maps alone as a challenge and as point man for guild mates who do not have treasure hunters.

I will live with doing cache maps only, and leave the higher level ones to those that love puzzles. I can't be too hard on the dev team, at least they're trying and I like the changes to cannons. I thoroughly enjoyed blowing up plunder beacons and had fun taking out a few orc ships and merchant ships - something that was previously on the "do not enjoy" list. So, I guess it's a wash for me.

Good luck with your high level maps, everyone! Oh and please, for the love of all that's holy, NEVER ask the team to bump loot in any other system! ;)

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You forgot to mention that NONE of this will stack......

The changes to tmapping are DESTROYING the whole thing. We wanted a loot upgrade to useful loot.... not a whole revamp turning it into just another bloody grindfest with stupid puzzles and loot being destroyed at every turn for a chest full of ash and total crap. Maybe they an give us a toggle, old tmap skills, new tmap skills. I wish they would just bugger off and leave it alone.

@Kyronix
And no matter how much we complain - they will NOT listen to changing it because someone spent a whole bunch of time coding this nonsense and their quarterly MBO relies on this going into production. We try to provide feedback to improve the game and yet this thing is managed into the ground. Literally into the ground.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
It seems that they only hear what they want to, the only decent suggestion from the original thread that suggested using remove trap to find an extra compartment for extra loot was totally dropped in favour of just slapping remove trap on everyone's template.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
To which was replied ...

Keith? I do believe that was a pretty good bit of sarcasm and poking of fun at various complaints we all spew.
:) I was...upset myself with the overhaul, yet came to the conclusion that I wanted to open another account buy some soul stones and build myself a new T-hunter from scratch. Will it be worth it? I will be playing UO. So yes, yes indeed.

The mib upgrades look fun too.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you want randomly generated loot but don't want to do puzzles and/or have to use lockpicking, do Cache chests. Per Kyronix, the loot will be the same as on horde and trove chests. The opportunity for verything else that could spawn in the chests (other than t-maps won't spawn in trove chests and recipe scrolls spawn in artisan cache chests but not in artisan horde or trove chests) is the same. The monsters would also be different between cache and horde or trove.

If you want to try horde or trove chests without having mobs spawn, check out the no-mob horde and trove maps on TC from blue clickies at the commons.

Give feedback on the official forums regarding loot, RT training with puzzles, and solving puzzles on chests.
If you want to get nothing 100 x a day do the low level chests... if that's what I wanted to do then I wouldn't be complaining! I wanted to do the 6 and 7 chests with some decent loot was that too much to ask?

Now to get any loot at all that isn't total crap and junk I have to add a stupid skill, futz with a puzzle and destroy everything I wanted to get????? With ZERO chance at making it easier to do the stupid puzzle as we all KNOW you are going to fail at least 10 times per puzzle... this is just dumb...

All we wanted was for the loot to not suck...

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Would be hilarious if after getting a group together and spending an age working out the puzzle that your failures destroyed everything and the group got nothing...no wait hilarious is not the right word, tragic is the one I meant....:(

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I just feel like @Kyronix that you are once again NOT LISTENING to the player base...

This is all exactly the same as the refinement stuff... people are giving you feedback and you are NOT LISTENING. We are HATING it .... Great you want me to put a stupid skill on my template and work it up but for what??? LESS REWARD?!?!? WHY????? Just WHY????

I liked level 6's and 7's for the PETS that spawned with them... the loot always sucked and was barely worth even bothering with the chest... THAT is why people wanted a revamp...

Most, if not all of the loot in chests, has been total garbage for years... no one wants any of that crap... so adding new stuff, making it more enjoyable yes... but having me get a group together so they can stand around and NOT BE DOING ANYTHING while I take 10 to 15 min to piss around with some stupid puzzle is NOT going to be fun or entertaining or enjoyable for anyone...

Pull your head out of the sand and listen to the players.

Hey keep the puzzles on the tool for working up the skill but take them off the chests PLEASE... what is the point of working up a skill when the puzzle FYI is PURE CHANCE... and you will fail over and over no matter how high your stinking skill is...

WHY won't you listen???

What part of this is MORE fun for a group to do???

So you think everyone that comes to do a T-Map as a group is going to raise Detect????? Are you INSANE? Where am I going to put that on a template that can kill an Ancient Wyrm??? let alone 4 or 5 of them...

You aren't listening to feedback if you were you'd know 99% of the players who do T-Maps SOLO them... This is something we had fun doing in our spare time... but still enjoy... but don't do with a group as it's BORING for the others to stand about while we are doing the chest they are standing there bored to tears .... Waiting for that once in a blue moon thing to spawn... so they can kill it in nothing flat and stand there again bored...

Nothing you are adding is making any of that any more fun for them... it isn't getting them anything "better" than they have... they aren't the ones futzing with the stupid puzzles... they aren't the ones who will be doing much of anything and then when I fail because of the RNG they will be having less chance of getting anything at all... and you think this makes sense WHY???

DevilsOwn

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste, I'm fearful that if folks keep mentioning the bored players waiting for puzzle solvers they'll add impossible spawn to the mix... shhhhh...

the statement (throughout this conversation) that I'm having trouble with is "treasure hunting has been broken from the start" - did not seem at all broken to me *shrug*

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thinking of it as a combination of Fiddling and putzing... or that other F word and piddling...

Norrar

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Once upon a time, people would mass login to a shard for protests. How many newbie tamers with 5 basic pets (cats, dogs, horses etc) do you think it would take on atlantic to cause enough of a headache from lag for them not to do the puzzles? (I only chose atlantic due to its already good population)

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
devs, get rid of the puzzles. I remember people asking for better loot from t maps but not this complicated system that was developed. there was no reason to change/combine any of my maps.
I wonder who are the devs listening to. all of this may just be another waste of devs time, again. it looks like the chests will give a lot of various items/resources/scrolls ect.... I don't like resources being given out, there's enough out there already. just my opinions

Nereus

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know several people who like the addition of the puzzles to the remove trap, including people who never really played their thunters before. They are now excited about the thunting changes and wanting to do the new maps.
That was also the impression I had from limited testing. Some general TC1 observations:

Remove trap appeared to work other than described, perhaps for testing purposes[?]
Managed to successfully remove trap on Lv1-3 map golden chests with ~29 skill. No notification of lost items.
Observed the trap occasionally could be disabled before picking lock.

Puzzles appear to be attempt at slowing completion rate in response to increased loot value.
Market may saturate quickly with gems from new supply.
New gem bags have limited container area in classic client, maybe a third is usable space.
Player vendor new Lv1-3 map pricing should adjust upwards in response to new loot tables.

Currently considering skill adjustments for tamer and bard templates.
Imbuing as secondary skill not as useful for unravelling due to reduced chest item quantity.
A hybrid treasure hunter template may be viable specifically for low-mid level maps at reduced lockpicking, cartography, and/or remove trap skills to free up points. Possible use for Mapmaker Glasses.
New Lv4-5 maps still solo-able. Further party size optimization testing needed on increased loot.

Also, found this:
SkullGnarledStaff.jpg

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Evidently no one on the team plays enough as a normal player to know what loot is and isn't good,
To give you an idea, Kyronix recently said on uo.com that feedback told him that most thunters can solo 3-4, some 5 thunters can solo 5s (wow!) and only a few 6 and 7s. Every serious thunter I know can easily do 6s, and most can easily do most 7s. Which makes we wonder where they got their feeback from - Pvpers and rares collectors? Apparently not real thunters

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
BTW, did you all catch Kyronix's claim that lower level chests (with no puzzles) will contain exactly same intensity items as higher level chests, just fewer items?
I quote, May 15, from the now closed thread: "Lvl 3 chests do not use a puzzle trap, and are designated for solo play. Everything you can get in a Lvl 4 and 5 you can get in a Lvl 3 - including the same quality of magical equipment."
So you will have fewer items in the chest, fewer rolls of the RNG dice to get a good item, but still a chance of getting the highest level item.
Interesting concept

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
To give you an idea, Kyronix recently said on uo.com that feedback told him that most thunters can solo 3-4, some 5 thunters can solo 5s (wow!) and only a few 6 and 7s. Every serious thunter I know can easily do 6s, and most can easily do most 7s. Which makes we wonder where they got their feeback from - Pvpers and rares collectors? Apparently not real thunters
Well I'm probably one of the worst fighters in UO, there isn't much I can do solo if it involves an epic battle, but even I can do a lvl 6 t-map, I haven't actually tried a lvl 7 but I've done quite a few 6's alone.
Anyway according to a recent post over there anyone who asked for a loot bump and is now complaining about the changes is just a whiner. Some of us complaining didn't even ask for a loot bump....

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Kyronix said that if we didn't want to do the puzzle then another group member could, in this paragraph :

The whole group helps with the entire encounter. Puzzles may not be fun for you, however, someone else in your group may find them exciting. That is the intention of group play - to divide up actions to those who enjoy doing them most for the overall gain of the group. Not every character (or player) can be or will be good at everything. This is why the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

But then he tells Margrette this...

Only the player who digs up the chest can unlock, untrap the chest. There is only 1 treausre hunter per chest.

I am finding this confusing, can the other group members do anything or not? Can other group members do the puzzle but not the lock or trap?

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know several people who like the addition of the puzzles to the remove trap, including people who never really played their thunters before. .
THIS is who they are listening to. New t-hunters, cheerleaders, and the usual groupies.

I know only one person who has been doing t-maps all along that has any positive outlook on the revamp instead of upgrade.

Theo_GL

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Thats laughable. I'm not even a good thunter and I do level 6 in fel all the time. Tamer/THunter with a trained up beetle that can also store all the loot. If they actually played the game they could just use someone from the office. UO anymore is like getting your steak from a Vegan cook.

Yadd of Legends

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One thing I find kind of surprising about all this reaction is how many players have a thunter. It must be one of the more popular activities in the game - certainly has been for me over the years - I remember I made my first sampire specifically to kill miasmas faster for my tamer thunter :) (now I usually roll with a gargoyle mystic mage thunter)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
A part of the Zippy quest needs one and the 20th Anniversary Arc needed one. That's what I got Carto and Lockpicking skills for.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have been testing stash and supply chests on TC the last couple of days with varying amounts of luck ranging from 600 up to 3600 for the purpose of seeing how many drops there are of the non-resource items like t-maps, SoTs, SoAs, artifacts, utility items, etc. This afternoon I started in on cache chests to also try them out with varying amounts of luck. I just got this piece and thought I would post a screen shot because it's a Legendary Artifact. The treasure hunter had 600 luck on her suit and this came from a gold Assassin Cache chest dug up in Malas. She opened the chest with lockpicking and 50 points of remove trap, but if she'd had 100 magery she could have used unlock spell and untrap spell to get into the chest. There was no puzzle to solve. She was partied with one of my tamers and there were 9 randomly generated pieces of equipment in the chest as well as about 20 of each gem and about 33k in gold.

I will be posting images of all the randomly generated equipment later in another spreadsheet and will provide a link when there's something to actually see.

Legendary Artifact Ringmail Leggings.jpg