• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pub 98 feedback: Kyronix get rid of the hashbrowning firebreathers

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
2 charred gargoyles, 2 hell hounds and a Lich.........ok these trade quests are becoming deadly.
.....i really really really HATE liches!!!!!!
I really feel sorry for the poor newbie that innocently ran past while i was dead and got himself 1 shot'd from the hell-hound.....don't think they fully thought this quest through with mob difficulty scaling off level of trade order.....

Last edited:

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
don't think they fully thought this quest through with mob difficulty scaling off level of trade order.....
They didn't... they based it to scale off the skill level of the char running the order.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
the ambushers can be easy, they are similar to t maps. just do one creature at a time if needed. I'm surprised some think too tough. the sea serpents can suck on melee char, need to be in a certain spot to hit them. I would like to get some information on these items that are off bodies, such as: will they be used for something or just deco?
ps I hate pancakes, I like waffles lol

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
2 charred gargoyles, 2 hell hounds and a Lich.........ok these trade quests are becoming deadly.
I really feel sorry for the poor newbie that innocently ran past while i was dead and got himself 1 shot'd from the hell-hound.....don't think they fully thought this quest through with mob difficulty scaling off level of trade order.....

Me too! Had a trade yesterday and met a guild collegue on my way. Just exact in that moment I stood a burning cart spawns - with two liches. First time I was dead before I could complete the quest :D.....
*thinks of wearing a lich protect talisman*

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The carts spawning while you are IN the moongate, using its menu, is a bit redonkulous, too. I had it happen while I was trying to take something to Moonglow from Britain.

Consider that you could actually GO to your destination before you realize your order got ganked.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Kyronix @Bleak

Can we get an explanation of why this is happening? (see pic)

1. This is at approximately 22[sup]o[/sup] S 4[sup]o[/sup] E (actually, less than 22 degrees, but I rounded up). to give you an idea, the last road junction going out of Britain (the one with the sign "To the Coast" is about 1.5 Degrees to the south of the location, and 1 degree to the East.
  2. You have to go to 25[sup]o[/sup]18' S 4[sup]o[/sup] E, to be able to cast summons or AoE.
  3. That is a distance of over 3 degrees, or ~40 STEPS (1912-1872) in the game INSIDE the guard zone, requiring me to have to run several screens away to cast summons, then drag them back. And, they don't last long against the big spawn. And, the summons that would be the most useful (RC, EV) can't even be brought up because they are uncontrolled.
  4. In addition, some of the ambushes are spawning for the people using the gate system, while the person is well within the gate GZ, and often while they are manipulating gate controls. I personally only use the gates for New Mag and Moonglow, and had that happen to me once - but at least it was easy to get outside the zone. The big danger is that the person might lose several minutes if they engage the gate AS the event happens. How long will it take to realize they got robbed, and double back?

Screenshot 2017-08-19 20.55.07.png

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Doubling back won't help. If you've left the area, you won't get your crate back even if you come back and kill all the ambushers. It's a bug. You then have to wait 15 minutes for the stuff to expire before you can do another trade run.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix @Bleak

Can we get an explanation of why this is happening? (see pic)

1. This is at approximately 22[sup]o[/sup] S 4[sup]o[/sup] E (actually, less than 22 degrees, but I rounded up). to give you an idea, the last road junction going out of Britain (the one with the sign "To the Coast" is about 1.5 Degrees to the south of the location, and 1 degree to the East.
  2. You have to go to 25[sup]o[/sup]18' S 4[sup]o[/sup] E, to be able to cast summons or AoE.
  3. That is a distance of over 3 degrees, or ~40 STEPS (1912-1872) in the game INSIDE the guard zone, requiring me to have to run several screens away to cast summons, then drag them back. And, they don't last long against the big spawn. And, the summons that would be the most useful (RC, EV) can't even be brought up because they are uncontrolled.
  4. In addition, some of the ambushes are spawning for the people using the gate system, while the person is well within the gate GZ, and often while they are manipulating gate controls. I personally only use the gates for New Mag and Moonglow, and had that happen to me once - but at least it was easy to get outside the zone. The big danger is that the person might lose several minutes if they engage the gate AS the event happens. How long will it take to realize they got robbed, and double back?

View attachment 70965
Weird. I can't get any ambushers to spawn anywhere on the Britain server on GL. I sat around the Britain moongate for over an hour on a fresh order and nothing spawned until I crossed the server line just to the south. I was annoyed to say the least. o_O

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
I hate the liches too, you make a good point, how are relatively new players meant to take part in this event? My mage is 6 x 120 and she has died once and come close a few times.

Gidge

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wont even do them by sea anymore, but one thing for sure, await your destination before filling the order to avoid the backpack full of junk.
I use to do this for runs ages ago until I tried to buy archery goods in Trinsic. :( I got distracted after getting a crate last night with guests and then came back and took off to Trinsic... still no bowyers... I could have logged on another account and either made or bought them, but I ran back to Yew just for fun... :D If we can buy archery goods there, please let me know where! :)

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use to do this for runs ages ago until I tried to buy archery goods in Trinsic. :( I got distracted after getting a crate last night with guests and then came back and took off to Trinsic... still no bowyers... I could have logged on another account and either made or bought them, but I ran back to Yew just for fun... :D If we can buy archery goods there, please let me know where! :)
Provisioner in Trinsic sells arrows and bolts. Weaponsmith in Trinsic (across the street from the tavern) sells bows, crossbows, heavy crossbows, and composite bows.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Is there a jeweler in minic

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yup. Running trade missions.

People didn't like to do the ocean routes because of the possibility of encountering firebreathing deep sea serpents. Firebreath hits for 60 points. Two hits in close proximity (which is likely because of two deep sea serpents) and you're dead.

Well, I just encountered a super demon and two super blazing gargoyles. That's two firebreathers. So now, the overland routes aren't fun either for the same reasons as the sea routes weren't. But wait, there's more! Since your crate is stolen, you MUST defeat that ambusher group, you can't simply outrun them... and you can't pull one away from the others because they all bounce back to the burning stuff location.

Got killed? Your pack is going to get filled with a huge amount of useless junk. What the omelet, I thought all that quesadilla got stolen.

@Kyronix, please fix this cluster pancakeing eggsbenedict.
It is not true that you can't outrun the ambushers. My llama can run circles around the ambushers! If you see lots of creatures with fire breath or spell attacks don't stand there waiting for them to turn you into a pile of slag. Run away and plan your attacks.

It's also not true that you can't pull one away from the others, I use this tactic all the time. You don't have to fight them all at once and die.

You can also use the creatures bounce range to your advantage by sitting comfortable away knowing they can't reach you while you range attack them and that they will wander back to find you again.

Watch and learn the sound and movements creatures make before they attack. You can easily avoid dragon breath, hellhound breath, etc as they do their special attacks.

Carry and try some new potions. I'd recommend Greater Heals, Invisibility, Greater Conflagration, Greater Confusion.

Where there is a will there is a way! Rise to the challenge. Don't Cower in fear!
There are many veterans adventurers who have sacrificed their lives over and over.
Just throw another robe onto the pile and quit waiting for the gods to have mercy on you!

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Lady CaT, are you Kyronix? Your response sounds a heck of a lot like an emailed letter I got from him re the impossible new Darkfather encounter.

> It is not true that you can't outrun the ambushers.
You can't outrun them because you have to fight them and kill them to get your crate back, Kyronix.

> you can't pull one away from the others, I use this tactic all the time
I wasn't able to. If you get too far away from the burning pile, then you don't get your crate back even if you kill all the ambushers. If you're near the pile, you get targeted, Kyronix.

> bounce range to your advantage
That's got to be a sweet spot -- close enough so you don't get bugged, far enough away so you don't get killed by four pancakeing firebreathers.
Please get rid of the omeleting firebreathers, which is how I started this thread, Kyronix.

> while you range attack
Uh, melee warrior here. Are we saying that trade runs are now not for melee warriors in the same way that the Darkfathers are only for a pair of cross-healing ABCers now?
Kyronix, please fix this clusterpancake.

> You can easily avoid dragon breath, hellhound breath
Well, personally, I'm too close to deaf.
But even for a hearing person, four of them in close time proximity is killer. Literally. Or even two, with the sounds being masked by lich laughter or demon roaring or the sound of my own waffeing sword hitting something. So, no.
I'm still saying get rid of the gosh-d-rn firebreathers, Kyronix.

> Carry and try some new potions
So, you're saying no 2H melee weapons at all.
...and if I have a 1H melee weapon, great, now I have to disarm my shield, which is a good choice for a 1H melee warrior only when she happens to be a bushidoer.
Or, if I were an archer, as you suggest, my bow just has to have "balanced" on it.

> Where there is a will there is a way! Rise to the challenge.
I gave up.
I am now letting the stealth tamer magery gargoyle character with greater dragon do it.
Everyone should be a stealth tamer magery gargoyle with greater dragon.
That's clearly the message you intended to send, Kyronix.
Got it.
So, Kyronix, maybe you should leave this clusterpancake as is ...

and please instead fix the baconing Darkfathers encounter instead. And revert the Queen Myrmidex back to before she threw 32 larvae in one go.

Vershawn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lady CaT, are you Kyronix? Your response sounds a heck of a lot like an emailed letter I got from him re the impossible new Darkfather encounter.
I wasn't able to. If you get too far away from the burning pile, then you don't get your crate back even if you kill all the ambushers. If you're near the pile, you get targeted, Kyronix.
To be fair this is possible and what I do as a fencer.
In the cases of 2 or more firebreathers that is.
Edited to clarify.
I still believe the firebreather's need to be capped at one per spawn. Having to kite and everything opens up far to many possibilites for the trade deal to bug out.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Yeah I am able to separate them all the time..if you run away and have them chase you? Well...if you can invis, that is ;) I invis...one of them usually stays within range of me and the others bounce back and start to wander....so most of the time pretty easy to kill 1 at a time, then just hunt down the ones that wandered off..sometimes a few screens away and kill those. I have gotten my crates back even if the burning wagon isn't on my screen.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Hehe I died once on my first or second run, took me one time to figure out what are firebreathers and what aren't. I've handled 4 firebreathers np on my necro-swordsman. *shrugs* Never ran so far I didn't get my crate back, didn't know that was a thing(unless that's what's happening to the ppl complaining in that other thread).

Cat's advice is all solid, invis pots especially(ima big fan), if you weren't using G Heals already, uhhh, well, you know, you should be. You run non-balanced two handed weps, okay, have a one-hander rdy on your equiplastweapon toggle. And if you're using a shield and NOT using 4/6 chiv, then you've got a lot of things to re-evaluate.

Obv there are issues with the runs, but the monsters being too hard isn't one of them imo.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

What? you can lead them off and pick them off, they bounce back, then pick one off.

That's got to be a sweet spot -- close enough so you don't get bugged, far enough away so you don't get killed by four pancakeing firebreathers.
Please get rid of the omeleting firebreathers, which is how I started this thread, Kyronix

See above

> while you range attack
Uh, melee warrior here. Are we saying that trade runs are now not for melee warriors in the same way that the Darkfathers are only for a pair of cross-healing ABCers now?

Took a few times to figure it out, but have not died but in the initial try. Swords/tact/anat/heal/parry/resist/chiv (but never cast once a chiv spell fighting)

But even for a hearing person, four of them in close time proximity is killer. Literally. Or even two, with the sounds being masked by lich laughter or demon roaring or the sound of my own waffeing sword hitting something. So, no.

Cant speak for hearing impaired, but you can see them right? Pick them off.

...and if I have a 1H melee weapon, great, now I have to disarm my shield, which is a good choice for a 1H melee warrior only when she happens to be a bushidoer.
Or, if I were an archer, as you suggest, my bow just has to have "balanced" on it.

Potions are not used on my warrior. High hit point regen on suit and hit life leech on weapons. Hit and run tactics, for the win.

I gave up.
I am now letting the stealth tamer magery gargoyle character with greater dragon do it.
Got it.

If you give up, well, dunno what to say bout that.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

> It is not true that you can't outrun the ambushers.
You can't outrun them because you have to fight them and kill them to get your crate back, Kyronix.

Please get rid of the omeleting firebreathers, which is how I started this thread, Kyronix.

> while you range attack

I gave up.
Got it.

and please instead fix the baconing Darkfathers encounter instead. And revert the Queen Myrmidex back to before she threw 32 larvae in one go.
Am I Kyronix? *laughs* Not even close!

I was just trying to be helpful with some suggestions. But just because you are unable to figure out good tactics or equipment for a warrior, doesn't mean other warriors haven't. But since you want it changed to fit your own specific template needs, by all means continue your ranting.

Personally now, I hope they give the ambushers reveal just for you. ;)

P.S. Oh and hey great Bushido warrior! You might want to read up on the Bushido Evasion skill! *thumbs up*

Last edited:

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I was just trying to be helpful with some suggestions. But just because you are unable to figure out good tactics or equipment for a warrior, doesn't mean other warriors haven't. But since you want it changed to fit your own specific template needs, by all means continue your ranting.
I think you need to look at this from a slightly different angle.

I found two warriors outside of brit, one dead one alive. I patched them up and they went back to the spawn. Looking at their gear, they looked to be returning players. Two of them engaged again and one fire breath was 60% of their life. I healed them while they engaged in battle and could go on their way.

For most veteran players, yes this content should be relatively easy (though I have come across some veteran players struggling too)

But this is for the 20th anniversary, there are a lot of returning players. Some which haven't played in 10-15 years and want to participate in the anniversary content. This content is a death sentence and may keep them from returning to UO.

The solution, I do not have. I just know what I have encountered on the roads leading outside of Brit.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
My understanding is that the mobs are based on the player skill that encounters it. Am I wrong?

I cannot tell as my chars are well built and suited.

Could it be that the returning players are caught up in someone else's spawn? I see that happening
quite a bit.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding is that the mobs are based on the player skill that encounters it. Am I wrong?

I cannot tell as my chars are well built and suited.

Could it be that the returning players are caught up in someone else's spawn? I see that happening
quite a bit.
Not necessarily. If returning players have a 6x120 character that's doing this, they'll end up fighting Liches, Hell Hounds, Daemons, Drakes, etc. Their suits are NOT capable of dealing with all of that. That's assuming a mage or dexer - a tamer might not know what a Greater Dragon is, nor will they know about the pet revamp (assuming they don't look it up beforehand), so they'll be using their old-school White Wyrm, Rune Beetle, Nightmare, etc. Those pets certainly won't be able to handle the upper end of the trade quests (and likely can't handle the low end.)

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just came across this scene. Not everybody can kill everything. Poor Lass.

upload_2017-8-20_20-14-25.png

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Lady CaT

What made you quote me?

I wasn't talking about anything resembling what the other person was - I was posting about getting attacked by multiple firebreathers on a 3xCaster template FORTY STEPS inside a guard zone. With the timing of multiple firebreathers trying to cast individual spells against them is a death sentence. PERIOD. Mages, Mystics and Weavers don't have life leech. The only chance in hell one has is to be a weaver with a high-focus gift of renewal ALREADY RUNNING. The times I've died, I was trying to put enough distance between me and the spawn in the first 2-3 seconds to where I could try to separate them - but the two or more firebreathers made that impossible.

As a caster, you got to be able to toss out a Summons to at least tank for you, and be the target of those multiple breath weapons. Something you can't do FOUR SCREENS INTO A GUARD ZONE.

Lady CaT

Sage
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Lady CaT

What made you quote me?

I wasn't talking about anything resembling what the other person was - I was posting about getting attacked by multiple firebreathers on a 3xCaster template FORTY STEPS inside a guard zone. With the timing of multiple firebreathers trying to cast individual spells against them is a death sentence. PERIOD. Mages, Mystics and Weavers don't have life leech. The only chance in hell one has is to be a weaver with a high-focus gift of renewal ALREADY RUNNING. The times I've died, I was trying to put enough distance between me and the spawn in the first 2-3 seconds to where I could try to separate them - but the two or more firebreathers made that impossible.

As a caster, you got to be able to toss out a Summons to at least tank for you, and be the target of those multiple breath weapons. Something you can't do FOUR SCREENS INTO A GUARD ZONE.
Yeah sorry not sure why your quote is accidentally in there? Some sort of reply buffer thing? Happy to delete it. Have only been responding to OP. :)