• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pub 98 feedback: Kyronix get rid of the hashbrowning firebreathers

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yup. Running trade missions.

People didn't like to do the ocean routes because of the possibility of encountering firebreathing deep sea serpents. Firebreath hits for 60 points. Two hits in close proximity (which is likely because of two deep sea serpents) and you're dead.

Well, I just encountered a super demon and two super blazing gargoyles. That's two firebreathers. So now, the overland routes aren't fun either for the same reasons as the sea routes weren't. But wait, there's more! Since your crate is stolen, you MUST defeat that ambusher group, you can't simply outrun them... and you can't pull one away from the others because they all bounce back to the burning stuff location.

Got killed? Your pack is going to get filled with a huge amount of useless junk. What the omelet, I thought all that quesadilla got stolen.

@Kyronix, please fix this cluster pancakeing eggsbenedict.

Deraj

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with the frustration of fire breath. Here are my suggestions:

1. Shorten the range to 2 tiles.
2. Make the creature emote something to indicate it's about to breathe, sort of like how the minax mage captains say "You will all burn!" before they explode.
3. Make the damage actually scale to total hp - right now it only scales to the first 2000 or 3000 hp, so when you have monsters that have 10s of thousands of hp, the damage remains at a flat 60 until it's nearly red-lined. If the damage started going down from the moment you started attacking it, that would make fire breath a lot less frustrating.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I had a deep sea serpent hit with one of those 60 point firebreaths. Very surprised.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Simple solution:

1) Use a tamer with a mountable pet. When an ambush pops up, invis, dismount, let things flag on your pet. They go down in a short time.
2) If you're going by sea, you can do the same. I admit that it's more of a pain here though, since pets are dumb and probably won't be able to melee everything down. As far as I know, your crates can't be stolen if you complete the trades by sailing, so just stay invis'd and sail around the spawn.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But if you dont kill the spawn, you dont get the goodies...assuming it is back on

Cupid

Lore Keeper
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I wont even do them by sea anymore, but one thing for sure, await your destination before filling the order to avoid the backpack full of junk.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Simple solution:

1) Use a tamer with a mountable pet. When an ambush pops up, invis, dismount, let things flag on your pet. They go down in a short time.
2) If you're going by sea, you can do the same. I admit that it's more of a pain here though, since pets are dumb and probably won't be able to melee everything down. As far as I know, your crates can't be stolen if you complete the trades by sailing, so just stay invis'd and sail around the spawn.
Oh that's a GREAT Idea... ONLY just in the other thread someone was talking about the mobs making pets go WILD... So that's a NO.

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I did a LOT of runs on test and a LOT of runs on Origin..WITH my tamer....no issues with my pets....I did, however have a friend who's beetle went wild....so....yep I'm gonna say it...have to agree with Mal...even though I haven't had any issues with my pets doesn't mean it's not happening so some tamers won't want to risk it..I however....risk it lol..so far so good.

I won't do them by sea either....I honestly had no idea you could use the moongates so if I get one for Moonglow I just use the gate.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
...I won't do them by sea either....I honestly had no idea you could use the moongates so if I get one for Moonglow I just use the gate.
Oh fudge pancake me! I have been running from cities to Yew coast to launch and sail to Magincia, or running to southern tip of Trinsic jungle to get boat to Jhelom. Didn't even try a moongate after the boat from Skara Brae dock would not allow me to "Cross". Wasn't there a penalty for using moongates?

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I have no idea..this is the first time I've ever done trade orders....:/

Poo

The Grandest of the PooBah’s
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
if you use a moongate you get no special rewards from the original quest.
no idea if it does anything to the new quest.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you use Moongates, the the chance of a "rare" reward for handing the trade order in is pretty much reduced to zero......also the city gets less gold (like thats why we run them Ha!)
It does on the other hand, more often than not mean you end up with a Pink as a reward. ;)

MoxZinnia

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Oh fudge pancake me! I have been running from cities to Yew coast to launch and sail to Magincia, or running to southern tip of Trinsic jungle to get boat to Jhelom. Didn't even try a moongate after the boat from Skara Brae dock would not allow me to "Cross". Wasn't there a penalty for using moongates?
If you use the moongates, you get less of whatever the Trade Minister gives you as a reward and less money goes to the originating city's coffers. But for island runs it is totally worth getting the lesser rewards to avoid ocean travel. As far as I can tell, though, it does not affect the quality of pinks one gets, just the quantity of resources.

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Found it in publish 86 notes:

"Upon accepting a trade order players will not be able to magically teleport except for using public moongates. Using public moongates will forfeit any distance bonus and rare chance at rewards."

Thanks for the heads up on pets going wild

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Third day of trading on my warrior (with 0 luck) who hasn't set foot in a Moongate has 3 guild signs since this morning. Several older chars who did trading years ago, have only gotten 2 books and never any signs.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh that's a GREAT Idea... ONLY just in the other thread someone was talking about the mobs making pets go WILD... So that's a NO.
Just did 3-4 trade runs, most with multiple ambushes. Pet (Nightmare) still @ max happiness. While I don't doubt @Slayvite's pets (and others) went wild, I don't really think it's anything to worry about as long as you can re-tame it: the ambushes can't handle a 5-slot pet.

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just did 3-4 trade runs, most with multiple ambushes. Pet (Nightmare) still @ max happiness. While I don't doubt @Slayvite's pets (and others) went wild, I don't really think it's anything to worry about as long as you can re-tame it: the ambushes can't handle a 5-slot pet.
Yeah my warning was more for those tamers that are using pets that are at the max of their taming skills, some partial tamers have dropped off lore and taming to the minimum needed to control their pet.
Making a tense situation (going wild) during the heat of battle a very "stressful" experience and possibly a very costly one. ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I was getting hit for 75 damage through 75 resists by the burning gargs. In one case I was FULL 100 HP and fell over dead from being hit by the "75"

At least the HH and drakes are capped at 60.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I was getting hit for 75 damage through 75 resists by the burning gargs. In one case I was FULL 100 HP and fell over dead from being hit by the "75"

At least the HH and drakes are capped at 60.
They're all capped at 200 damage then reduced by your resistance to their damage type, (most things deal fire damage, krakens deal cold damage.)

The only ways they could hit you for more than 60 (if you're 70 fire resist)

#1 using an opposing slayer weapon, spell book, or talisman. Burning/Fiery Gargoyles opposing slayers = Fey & Elemental (check your weapons & cameos)
#2 you're lower than 70 fire resist (liches can cast corpse skin, so that could have happened as well).

btw, 200 - 75% = 50 +50% = 75 (you probably had an opposing slayer equipped)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
All I have used is pets on this arc and not had a single problem with pet going wild..

Vershawn

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
At the very least only have one spawn in any given ambush.
I've had three pop at once...aaand that wasn't fun.

Reactions: S_S

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Tell me about it....RUN..hide..get revealed and hit for 60...RUNNNN heal..hide...heal...reveal...60 damage...RUNNNN hide...reveal..heal....ACK! lol

I try to take those out first with my dragon...it's not easy! I have only died once though!

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Ummm... they still make those?!? :p
PFFT

I tried with my Cu but even though he's trained up and 5-slot he still has a hard time :/ Waiting for my rune beetle to bond see how that does

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
PFFT

I tried with my Cu but even though he's trained up and 5-slot he still has a hard time :/ Waiting for my rune beetle to bond see how that does
Hmmm... should try the AI Cu.. they rip them to shreds :)

Kylie Kinslayer

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
Oh.... yeah.. that's a problem then.. some of those mobs are bad butts..

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
all my pets destroy these things with barely a scratch - what are you people doing wrong?

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm larisa my 3.9 greater is working best for me other than he keeps stop guarding me not sure why I feed after every spawn

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My Chiv Cu works great.

Just wish it was worth the effort.. but coming up empty handed time and time again is old, tiring and quit boring.

Kojak

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
120 120 120 120 120 ... 115 tactics wha whaaaaaaa ... fail - jk - hehe (just funny seeing it in that impressive list - dunno why that amused me so much :) )

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Larisa: uhm.... a pet trains skills by every fight. Your dragon might be best to outlive an unknown danger, but it's also a kind of personal tactics that helps surviving.
Cast yourself invis, get off your pet you riding and let it kill spawn. Most mistake many tamers did that they are to worry about the losing skillpoints when the pets dies Better I die than my pet - but I tell you to think the way round ;)

*smiling* tell me how useful a dead tamer than is for a living pet? Nothing - right?

Ress your pet, and discover how fast the losen skillpoints will be renewed by training - and further much better.

@Pawain:
This is my "Cutie" - a very old bronze Cu, and I'm not so rich to feed it with legendaries :)
I have an good trained "Elder", and it do his work well:

upload_2017-8-19_7-59-30.png

Last edited:

Slayvite

Crazed Zealot
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I use my trained Hi-ryu, AI - disco - shredding claw.
He can easily handle anything that spawns, even when they throw a couple of liches in there too. :)

On a plus side, while the drop rate is next to zero, i've not had issue with my pet going wild since "finger crossed.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So, we're saying that the trade routes are now for tamers only, in the way that the Darkfathers of Doom Gauntlet are now for a pair of cross-healing ABCers only?

Well pancake that omelet.

Mene (DF)

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I believe this have nothing to do with the tamer patch, but rather with the most favorite template you could play best this game ;).

So let me say : ....Of course I'm blond, looking natural blond and of course for that i'm natural too blond to play a warrior, so i better hide behind my pet ;) . I'm natural also to blond for casting spells......:rolleyes:*ironicsm off*

Other are to blond to lead their pets or play their instruments - could give you a few more examples.
and of course there's again 1000 reasons why others could make a better goal ;)

Larisa

Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I would try on my sampire but I JUST got to 2-line trade orders on my tamer!! I am rather excited!

What about a najasaurous? How do you think that would do? I messed up my rune beetle and put magery mastery AND mysticism on it....:/

outcry

Slightly Crazed
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What about a najasaurous? How do you think that would do? I messed up my rune beetle and put magery mastery AND mysticism on it....:/
That is what Kojak uses and works well

Last edited:

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So, we're saying that the trade routes are now for tamers only, in the way that the Darkfathers of Doom Gauntlet are now for a pair of cross-healing ABCers only?

Well pancake that omelet.
No. But a leveled up pet can tank 3 firebreath mobs where a player (edit: missing word FTL) can't. Unless you're on sampire refined for 75 fire resist AND riding a Swamp Dragon (or pop Evasion), if you end up getting a hell hound, drake, and burning gargoyle (or multiples of any) that all decide to do a breath attack at the same time, you WILL die. A pet won't.

You don't even need to feed a pet all those scrolls. The Nightmare I've been using on LS:

Attachments

Last edited:

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I got a burning gargoyle and a drake at the same time with my macer chiv/bush/healing dexxer. She has 74 fire resist and I was mounting an armoured swampy.
If there were one more fire breather, I wouldn't have made it. I was being hit for 41 damage per.

Cady

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Had fun on my necro-swords char when my gf and I were both teleported INSIDE my burning wagon when my mob popped up... not. Two primarily melee chars up against, thankfully, a not OP mob(one firebreather), and unable to swing on anything. I had to pop into wraith form and wither them to death(took a while, still ran out of mana before it was all dead), while my gf on her sampire w/ no FC/FCR xhealed me with close wounds to supplement bandaids and spirit speak. I was amazed I killed it all and didn't die. But what a PITA. If that mob had two firebreathers that run would have definitely ended there :/

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Seriously, cap the spawn to two fire breath capable monsters at most per ambush.
You can get up to 5 enemies per ambush, and it is possible to get 5 fire breath capable monsters there. That wouldn't end up well for any template other than tamer with a 5 slots pet.

skett

Babbling Loonie
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I got 4 of them at once with my gd I died 2 times he died 3 times I wasn't ready for that at all lol
Before that happen I've been read here thinking everyone was be a little over the top wow was I wrong

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
all my pets destroy these things with barely a scratch - what are you people doing wrong?

In my case, my character that is a Magnate (as well as Governor of Britain) doing the trades is a mage/mystic/weaver.

I'm not going to use my tamer to benefit another city, and start with crappy level 1 rewards (I like getting up to 180 resources a trip)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
One of the ambushes I had was TWO Hellhounds, a drake, a burning gargoyle and a brigand.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Larisa: uhm.... a pet trains skills by every fight. Your dragon might be best to outlive an unknown danger, but it's also a kind of personal tactics that helps surviving.
Cast yourself invis, get off your pet you riding and let it kill spawn. Most mistake many tamers did that they are to worry about the losing skillpoints when the pets dies Better I die than my pet - but I tell you to think the way round ;)

*smiling* tell me how useful a dead tamer than is for a living pet? Nothing - right?

Ress your pet, and discover how fast the losen skillpoints will be renewed by training - and further much better.

@Pawain:
This is my "Cutie" - a very old bronze Cu, and I'm not so rich to feed it with legendaries :)
I have an good trained "Elder", and it do his work well:

View attachment 70921

Thats a fine dog.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I would try on my sampire but I JUST got to 2-line trade orders on my tamer!! I am rather excited!

Get a 2 slot Naj and train it up. They train easy on the mage. Will be a great pet. Im doing a trade route cant send a pic of mine. But here is a link. Najasaurus Thats a 3 slot one. 2 slots have more points.

Lady Kyo

Seasoned Veteran
Wasn't there a penalty for using moongates?
As far as I can tell, you get crap for your end reward from the trade minister like crafting materials. Then again, I have done the "new nerfed" trade runs both ways, not using a moongate and running all over the realm and got he crap rewards of leather or granite or jewels and then did it by using the moongates and got pink scrolls. I don't think it matters much anymore. Its nerfed.