• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pub 86 - Traders Quest

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I'm sure it will. :(

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some very good points with regard to public moongates were brought up. Here's what we decided,

You may use public moongates while doing the quest, however if you do...

You will not be eligible for any of the "rare" rewards, and you do not receive any distance bonus that would otherwise be applied.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Some very good points with regard to public moongates were brought up. Here's what we decided,

You will not be eligible for any of the "rare" rewards, and you do not receive any distance bonus that would otherwise be applied.
Does this apply if you use a gate to go from Tram to Fel or vice versa? How does this apply if you start the quest in Tram but want to take it to Slim in Fel?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Does this apply if you use a gate to go from Tram to Fel or vice versa? How does this apply if you start the quest in Tram but want to take it to Slim in Fel?
It applies if you use the gate at all, doesn't matter the origin or destination facets. If you want the rare rewards from Slim, you'll need to start the quest in Fel.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
It applies if you use the gate at all, doesn't matter the origin or destination facets. If you want the rare rewards from Slim, you'll need to start the quest in Fel.
This pretty much means the best rewards remain in Fel.

I would nix this change and leave it as it was originally.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This pretty much means the best rewards remain in Fel.

I would nix this change and leave it as it was originally.
If you want to do things the 'quick and easy' way, then take the hit and use the gates. If you want the good rewards, put in the required effort. That's how I see it, and I like it as it is now. Britannia isn't that big that it takes hours to get anywhere. Sure, it takes longer than a single minute, but the entire point is to get people running the lands again, not taking gates everywhere.

How I understand it, "if you use the gate at all" means that even if someone picks up the quest in Felucca and uses the gate to get to Slim quicker, they'll still take the hit to their rewards. So... I fail to see how it's really that bad.

You get to use the gates, and there's no quick jumps to get the good stuff as fast as possible. Fine by me.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not particularly concerned with the "ease" or the time it takes to run from city to city, notice how I didn't even mention that. Running from city to city isn't difficult and most only take a few mins, the only one that might be a little annoying is New Magincia.

The RP reason for not using magical travel for the orders is already tissue paper thin, thus Fel's unrestricted access was counter intuitive... So while this levels the playing field between the facets, it really smacks of a knee-jerk overreaction to what Riyana was saying. "Well if she wants full moongate access, we'll just make it pointless to use!"

It also feels like a yet another example of the dev's trying to lure people to Fel, ostensibly to be sheep.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Can you travel using gate travel spell casted by other player?
Can you travel using vet reward teleporter?
If yes to any, does penalty apply too?

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron

I think this is somewhat an improvement, but I hope you will consider some of the other suggestions to make running the quest across the world and fighting the ambushers more engaging and worthwhile. In my testing the bonus seemed to only go to the city donation, not to the player.

At least make the bump for longer distance and killing ambushers a little more pronounced and maybe give the ambushers a rare chance of something interesting. This takes the nerfiest of the suggestions without any counterbalance.

EDIT: Haha I had no idea oil cloths could do that!

@Dot_Warner Since they toned down the Slim rewards, I think is actually makes it so that there is zero need to go to Fel to do the quest unless you are doing the Slim one--which you had to go to Fel for anyway. I don't object to Slim being Fel-only--he's a thief, and logically probably should be in Fel. His rewards are no longer ridiculously better.

I like that the city stones show how many trade quests have been turned in from a city. I sincerely hope this is the first step to offering more robust information for city governors as has been asked for many times.

Last edited:

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
Rewards need to be balanced after the effort. This fix will work for Siege too. If it's to easy to get the rewards, people will stop doing the quests after a month and not really care about the towns.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The RP reason for not using magical travel for the orders is already tissue paper thin, thus Fel's unrestricted access was counter intuitive... So while this levels the playing field between the facets, it really smacks of a knee-jerk overreaction to what Riyana was saying. "Well if she wants full moongate access, we'll just make it pointless to use!"

It also feels like a yet another example of the dev's trying to lure people to Fel, ostensibly to be sheep.
I hardly see it as a knee-jerk reaction, nor pointless. If your aim is to collect gold for your city, even taking the hit from the gate, you still accomplish that. And perhaps the speed at which you can do so will make up for the loss of bonuses from distance/ambushes. It makes sense to me that if walking yields a bonus to the gold, obviously it would yield the better rewards. Greater risk, greater rewards.

As for the devs trying to lure people to Fel as you say... Who really cares? If you don't want to go, don't go. Plain and simple. No one's forcing you to. But it makes perfect sense that Slim, a criminal, would be located in the more lawless land of Felucca.

I also had an idea for a rare Slim reward: a disguise kit remover. Thieves have been asking for one forever, and Slim seems the kind of guy who would have one.
Oil cloths, crafted by tailors, remove diguise kits. :)

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Oil cloths, crafted by tailors, remove diguise kits. :)[/QUOTE]

WHAT?! I swear I tried that... *tries it again*

Wow! That totally slipped under my radar! Thanks. :D

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

I've done 31 trade orders on GL and am still only have the 'Trader' title available. According to the publish notes from last week, I should be have 'Exporter' available. I'm also still only receiving single item orders, I should be getting 2-item orders.

Did something change?

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix

I've done 31 trade order and am still only have the 'Trader' title available. According to the publish notes from last week, I should be have 'Exporter' available. I'm also still only receiving single item orders, I should be getting 2-item orders.

Did something change?
Hrmm. Nothing has changed. Who were you delivering the trade orders to?

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hrmm. Nothing has changed. Who were you delivering the trade orders to?
The Trade Ministers in the destination cities.

The "rare" rewards also seem to be MUCH rarer than they were on TC1.

EDIT: I'm at 32 or 33 now, and exporter just showed up

Last edited:

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you guys weren't able to get the Skara Brae ferry to work with the trade quests? Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient. :)

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Gak!

If an order wants "bracelets," and you use the fill from pack option, it will grab a wrist watch if you have one as well! :spider:

SlayerofBunnys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess you guys weren't able to get the Skara Brae ferry to work with the trade quests? Not a huge deal, just a little inconvenient. :)
I just tried the ferry on Catskills and couldn't use it with the trade quest. Seems somewhat odd as the ferry shouldn't be 'magical'.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just tried the ferry on Catskills and couldn't use it with the trade quest. Seems somewhat odd as the ferry shouldn't be 'magical'.
For very short distance sailing , I find rowboats a very handy thing to carry around with me. :)

Thom

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If your order is for rings it will grab wedding bands even if it is in a container.

Dot_Warner

Grand Inquisitor
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix The book rewards cannot be viewed when locked down, they say that you don't have access when double clicked :(

Kyronix

UO Designer
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Kyronix The book rewards cannot be viewed when locked down, they say that you don't have access when double clicked :(
Thanks for the report. When the fix is published, existing books as well as newly created ones, will be able to accessed when locked down.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did anyone make it all the way up to tier 5 on TC?
I'm on tier 2 and I can already see a problem when I make it to tier 3.
Not enough room in my backpack.
A full 5 line quest is going to need room for up to 121 items in my backpack (less if they stack)
I, like most others, have things like spellbooks, runebooks, 1 or 2 alternate weapons, and other day-to-day sundries in my backpack.
In order to do any 5 line trade quest that I might get without excessive cancelling looking for a quest with multiple stackables I'm going to have to leave pretty much everything except for a stack of gold at home. And that's on the shard where I have a home. On other shards I'm screwed.

Can you make the trade crates reduce the item count as well? Or allow them to be put in a giant beetle or pack animal?

I see most people never making it to tier 5 because it will just become too much trouble to clear out your backpack.

Faeryl

Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did anyone make it all the way up to tier 5 on TC?
I'm on tier 2 and I can already see a problem when I make it to tier 3.
Not enough room in my backpack.
A full 5 line quest is going to need room for up to 121 items in my backpack (less if they stack)
I, like most others, have things like spellbooks, runebooks, 1 or 2 alternate weapons, and other day-to-day sundries in my backpack.
In order to do any 5 line trade quest that I might get without excessive cancelling looking for a quest with multiple stackables I'm going to have to leave pretty much everything except for a stack of gold at home. And that's on the shard where I have a home. On other shards I'm screwed.

Can you make the trade crates reduce the item count as well? Or allow them to be put in a giant beetle or pack animal?

I see most people never making it to tier 5 because it will just become too much trouble to clear out your backpack.
5*20 is only 100. Add one for the chest/crate... 101 items.

You should still have room for 24 more items even if the requested trade items are all non stacking.

Barok

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, my bad, I shouldn't try to do math this late at night.

But no, even at a max of 101 items, I'm still going to have trouble on a lot of my characters.

Frarc

Stratics Legend
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Bit of a problem with trade orders in Jhelom. Some orders from the mage/alchemist butcher shop can't be bought in Jhelom. the shops are on the other island but we can't use the teleporter to buy them.