• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Prediction: Kiss UO Goodbye unless SA is embraced

• Thread starter Loquacious Wrath
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
L

Loquacious Wrath

With what I have witnessed over the last several months, I truly believe UO is at a final crossroads. If SA is treated like KR was, with ridicule and skepticism from current UO subscribers, then you can forget about UO being around this time next year.

Someone on the UO staff likely convinced a higher-up at EA that the UO staff can and will succeed where KR failed. This is UO's 2nd and last chance folks.

Now lets talk business. Without proper cash flow and forecasted growth, UO will cease to exist. EA is interested in maximizing time spent for revenues received. If there are current UO subscribers leaving or threatening to leave because of SA, or a forced upgrade to support SA, then there will be no forecasted cash flow. Without said cash, there is no reason EA would invest capital, at an opportunity cost of around 4.25%, to UO. Doing so would defy all business models and mean that EA has a love affair with UO, which it does not.

When SA is released, current subscribers had better agree to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep UO going. Even if this means upgrading your computer or dealing with "different graphics", UO patrons need to mentally and emotionally commit to the reality that UO is in danger of going the way of The Sims. Opening extra accounts again, purchasing online tokens, and refraining from littering the forums boards with obsessive whining is critical to EA keeping UO running. Secondly, once EA believes SA is marketable and well received by the current UO subscribers, then, and only then, will EA invest capital for means of marketing UO.

Don't believe me? Read the quote from Mr. Jacobs about EA's stance on UO dated 10/18/2008. I hope UO players pick their battles wisely from today onward…

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Even without the comment from Jacobs I think you're right. If the "suits" gave the devs enough $$$ to come up with a new client for UO, they did so with the understanding that the client needs to bring in at least the investment to be worth the effort.

Now, KR was released WAAAY too early and any client graphical upgrade has to deal with up to 11 years' worth of mental familiarity with the way UO looks. But neither of those can really account for a lot of the vitriol that KR received or the standpoint of the "anchor" players (or worse, the Luddite faction of players).

Personally I eagerly await the next patch even if it is 700 Meg because I want to see what's in it. (for those wondering, I was the one asking about the 700 Meg patch by repeating the question on the screen during the presentation) When I see what's in it, I'll do what I've done since I was able to get into KR and that's provide bug reports and feedback.

Beyond that, KR along with a few poeple here who I now consider closer friends has given me personally a new life in UO in trying to come up with ways that we can make the client's UI better even when the devs aren't doing anything (the Exchange happened BECAUSE there was no work on KR at the time being presented).

So I and a select group of others are doing what we can to help the new client and thus UO succeed.

I just wonder of the detractors and nay-sayers, who will be willing to recognize what the situation very well may be in regards to UO's future.

Pickaxe Pete

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Since SA will be fully accessible with 2D, I think they will sell the expansion just fine, with or without a new client option.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Surely if that was the case there would be a formal ultimatum?

Instead, they seem to be going out of their way to suggest that they expect 2D to be around for a long time to come.

We also reacently had comments posted quoting an EA exec commenting that UO was still wildly profitable.

I've been wrong before, but I don't buy this doomsday scenario.

Galad

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Agreed. SA needs to, but probably won't, provide any subscription increase.

Akalabeth

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I love 2D and I am so glad that SA will be available for 2D. I will certainly be there to buy my expansions. :)

S

sapphirediablo11

Not sure but wasn't there something about SA not being 100% accessable to 2d... or was that something of the past and is now 100% accessable or have i gone mad again with UO withdraw???

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

What I find head-to-desk-banging mind boggling are the posts we still see that UO should be sold to a new company (which is exactly what happened when Mythic took over... while they wree bought by EA instead of UO being sold to Mythic, the end effect is the same... UO is now under Mythic's banner... a new company, a new chance for the game... it's still too early to conclude the effects of this right now. The one thing we do know is that the move DID affect things quite a bit... but what will come out of this past year's worth of work remains to be seen.

Secondly the argument that noone asked for a graphical update... if that's true, then what was the Pixel Graphics thread? We see people asking about new technical aspects for the 2d client when the answer is that the KR/SA client have what they are asking for (large gameplay window, mod totals, hotkeying ANY ITEM, etc). People have to realize that if they want new features, they might actually have to use a new client because the old client does not support such features.

The thing is that any client upgrade to UO will only succeed as long as people are willing to ASK FOR HELP if they need to know how to do something (there are some of us who are willing and able to answer quch questions... your Stratics KR forum "blue robes" so to speak), and to send in bug reports and feedback that consist of things more substantial than "This client sux, 2d forever!!!".

As for SA (the expansion) being 2d accessible, I still think that it is a mistake and a backpedal and unless they found a way for the old 2d client to do some of the tricks KR can do, or simply doesn't do them, we'll miss what the SA expansion COULD have done with the new client which IMO is a shame.

Maplestone

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
My understanding is that the original plan was that the SA land would be KR-only. When KR failed to sway a majority, it essentially killed the SA plan as it existed. I'm not sure what they are doing differently this time - updating the 2D client or downgrading the SA landscape plan.

a slave girl

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"When SA is released, current subscribers had better agree to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep UO going. Even if this means upgrading your computer or dealing with "different graphics", UO patrons need to mentally and emotionally commit to the reality that UO is in danger of going the way of The Sims."

If EA Mythic wants my money then they can damn well do their jobs and offer me something decent in SA.

If they can't then maybe they are in the wrong business.

I refuse to play UO:Ugly (KR).

I don't want to but I can get my UO fix elsewhere if EA fails with SA.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
When SA is released, current subscribers had better agree to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep UO going. Even if this means upgrading your computer or dealing with "different graphics", UO patrons need to mentally and emotionally commit to the reality that UO is in danger of going the way of The Sims.
Thats silly. Even if your conclusions were true, what would be the point in accepting yet another bad product (if indeed it is bad) just so it can propigate itself? I love UO too, but if they can't figure it out, then maybe its just time to let it go.

R

RoycroftLS

We also reacently had comments posted quoting an EA exec commenting that UO was still wildly profitable.

I've been wrong before, but I don't buy this doomsday scenario.
The "wildly profitable" quote is interesting in regards to the "Jacobs had to save UO" one.

To me, it means that at some point in the past the game wasn't exactly profitable... and a lot of the changes of late (as in, limited customer service, combining of dev staffs, very slow publish/expansion development) were likely made to make it profitable again.

But, you can only cut so much fat off the steak. And those type of changes I mentioned above are not ones that lead to a rise in subscriptions. If something (i.e. SA) doesn't boost subscription numbers in the near future, the game is going to become unprofitable again with no cost-saving measures left to take.

Doesn't take much to figure out what would happen then.

A

AesSedai

Prediction: Kiss UO Goodbye unless SA is embraced

- Perhaps.
But they have already ******** SA's (Gamebryo) potential by incorporating 2d's (Wombat) shortcomings, rather than distinguish the differences between the two clients (which could eventually allow a server improvement too..).
So, maybe UO still lives even if the SA client (not the expansive additions set to be available for both clients) is shunned; but its growth will remain stunted rather than become a bit more unfettered?
Perhaps if the playerbase does not want UO to evolve then it will not? What then? Well, without evolution it seems extinction is often closer than with...

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

That depends on if the product is indeed "another bad product" or if it's just due to the people who would consider ANY client that isn't the 2d client to be "another bad product" by definition.

Already in this thread, that mindset is apparent.

Uriah Heep

Grand Poobah
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dermott, et al:

I admire and respect the work you guys did for the UI in KR. Still think it's a shame the players had to do it, but good job guys!

I've been a bit rough on Mythic/UO/KR myself. However, if they will make a new client, and keep it basically UO, I will embrace it with open arms and never look back. I was so looking forward to KR, asked to get into beta, finally got it when it went live. I was sooo disappointed. It wasnt a client, it wouldn't have even made a good April Fool's joke. I mean, come on, people were talking about making spreadsheets to incorporate in it, to make macros and maps? *shakes head*

If SA is created properly, functions, and has decent art and animations, I'll jump to it and shout hooray!!! and uninstall the 2d. If its the dark, faded water color fuzzy KR artwork, with crazy animations, no matter how fast or smooth it is, I'll stick to 2d.
I'm hoping for SA to be all we want, almost as badly as I was hoping it for KR.

WE shall see, in 09, I reckon .

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Well if nothing else, the Devs CANNOT in any way say that we didn't give them enough to work with to improve the client.

This week (supposedly, I was halfway expecting today after seeing the BNN article which generally comes right on the heels of a patch/publish) we're supposed to see this huge artwork update, so we'll see how that goes.

Beyond that, it's a matter of what they give us based on our feedback on the forums, from the focus group, and through ingame bug reports and website feedback replies.

So far we've been told:

Smaller memory/filesize footprints
Better memory management (good for lower end system, but people may still need to get an actual video card as opposed to an onboard monitor out jack)
Hotbars and health bars will dock (like they did in 3d)
Better minimap
ALL UI elements will be movable (and if they don't put in UI anchoring, I'm sure one of us at the Exchange will as it's already on our list)

I'm just hoping that we see an more openness toward the new client than we've seen towards 3D and KR... and by the same token, I hope they get the SA client RIGHT and NOT release it a year and a half earlier than it should have been.

As for "looking and feeling like Ultima", I FULLY recommend if you CAN run KR to check out Zym Dragon's Legacy UI skin... it's not entirely done... he has a few more gumps he wants to tweak, but it really captures the classic UI feel.

I don't think people should embrace a client that doesn't work (and to be honest, a year and a half ago KR didn't work... now for most people it does and it does well), but at the same time, not dismiss it out of hand.

Also remember graphically that you have to give your eyes and mind time to adjust. A lot of things WILL look "wrong" at first, but after a bit of time to adjust, it will not only make sense, but if you DON'T log into 2d, you'll start to forget exactly what it used to look like as the new version begins to look "right".

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dermott, I really appreciate all the time and effort that you and others have put into learning KR, providing feedback, and the Modder's Exchange.

However, what really really bugs me about how KR was introduced was the absolutely pathetic job that EA did in providing information to help the people who were accustomed to the 2D and 3D clients learn to use the KR client.

Even if the graphics had been stunningly beautiful, the UOKR Online Manual was a shock. Having never played WoW or other games with a similar UI, I found it to be almost useless.

What's even more bothersome is that today, almost 18 months after KR was introduced, you cannot find anything on the official UO site that explains how to use or customize the KR client. (You can, however, look in the New Player guide and see that after you've gotten the patch message, you can use the client selector to choose to launch UO 2D or UO 3D and that most players like the classic look and feel of the 2D version.)

If and when EA actually steps up to the plate and shows that they, and not their paying customers, are committed to doing a decent job of providing useful and up-to-date user documentation to help long-standing customers get out of their comfort zones and adopt the KR or SA client, I'll actually consider putting in whatever time it takes to learn to use the new client. In other words, EA meet me halfway and act like you give a damn about the dollars I'm paying you every month. If not, I'm afraid I just can't be bothered.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

You're 100% correct Tina. The documentation for KR was weak (but then so was the documentation for the original UO box). Now I'm not trying to dismiss the lack of documentation, but agree with the fact that the documentation for the new client needs to be BETTER.

One of the additions Supreem mentioned in the last HoC was a daily UI tip in the new client, so hopefully that will help.

All that I can ask though is that people actually ASK if they do have a question. If we have an answer we'll give it. That's why UOSS/Stratics was created to begin with.

But above all, you're 100% correct... they HAVE to put out a better UI document than what they did with the KR beta.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dermott, what is especially troubling is that there are many many folks who do not visit Stratics regularly and in all likelihood have no idea that there is a forum dedicated to the KR client. You and everyone else that has put so much time into this project deserve better treatment than that.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Meh, as I posted in another thread, it's become my new "energy" for being involved in the game. I just enjoy seeing the reactions we get to every new release we put forward. Granted at the moment I'm not doing a lot of coding or putting stuff together, but getting a lot of ideas together into a list for our next milestones.

I've learned not to expect too much in terms of notoriety at least from the devs... as long as I can get a few answers out of them to my questions or maybe to get them to look at an idea or concern is enough for me.

Besides... it's easy to complain... it's a bit harder to actually look at the problem and think of a solution... and I try to think of a solution (even if it isn't always a popular answer).

Right now, the UI stuff to me is like being in a guild or running a player run town... we get some stuff done and if people find that their game experience is better for it, then we've succeeded.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I just wonder of the detractors and nay-sayers, who will be willing to recognize what the situation very well may be in regards to UO's future.
If Its Fun, UO user friendly, and I get to keep my pixels I will continue to play UO. If Indeed still UO.

Dermott of LS

UOEC Modder
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Everything you have in 2d is in KR/SA. It might look a little different, but it's still there.

While the UI does take some time to learn, what I've found I can do with it has made my UO life a LOT easier without the need for external programs.

Gheed

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
With what I have witnessed over the last several months, I truly believe UO is at a final crossroads. If SA is treated like KR was, with ridicule and skepticism from current UO subscribers, then you can forget about UO being around this time next year.

Someone on the UO staff likely convinced a higher-up at EA that the UO staff can and will succeed where KR failed. This is UO's 2nd and last chance folks.

Now lets talk business. Without proper cash flow and forecasted growth, UO will cease to exist. EA is interested in maximizing time spent for revenues received. If there are current UO subscribers leaving or threatening to leave because of SA, or a forced upgrade to support SA, then there will be no forecasted cash flow. Without said cash, there is no reason EA would invest capital, at an opportunity cost of around 4.25%, to UO. Doing so would defy all business models and mean that EA has a love affair with UO, which it does not.

When SA is released, current subscribers had better agree to do WHATEVER IT TAKES to keep UO going. Even if this means upgrading your computer or dealing with "different graphics", UO patrons need to mentally and emotionally commit to the reality that UO is in danger of going the way of The Sims. Opening extra accounts again, purchasing online tokens, and refraining from littering the forums boards with obsessive whining is critical to EA keeping UO running. Secondly, once EA believes SA is marketable and well received by the current UO subscribers, then, and only then, will EA invest capital for means of marketing UO.

Don't believe me? Read the quote from Mr. Jacobs about EA's stance on UO dated 10/18/2008. I hope UO players pick their battles wisely from today onward…
Wrong... if the pirate expansion fails then UO is done... nuff said.

It Lives

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Familiarity and ease of use rank High for me, I am not bashing KR but my experience with that left me bitter.

I did make an honest attempt to play it but found my self back in 2d after a week or so.

Your skins are nice I do like them. Nothing personal.

I dont use any third party stuff even uoa or uoam.

Beefybone

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll play the SA client if it's better than 2D. If it's not, then I won't. If the game dies, I'm off to the freeshards or WoW. /shrug

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
KR = graphics upgrade
SA = 1st expansion in over 3 years with much needed new content

stop worrying and enjoy it, the game hasn't gone out of business yet and will not for a long long time due to people like me who are devoted customers and continue to play after being hacked and never worry about the game collapsing

D

DHMagicMan_1

I have no idea why but I can't run KR on my Vista PC but I can run 2D... it gives me no coherent error for me to chase down either.

I'm not a PC Newb... I try to run the KR Client with Admin rights and the patch session goes then it says my version is incorrect or words to that effect.

After downloading and repatching twice I just reinstalled the 2D client... I wish I could run KR because I get it has good tools for mining and crafting and such, which I like to do... but I'm SOL and no way to find help.

Maybe with the next client they will have a way to actually support it too?

Demonous

Rares Fest Host | Ches Jul 2010
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
i dont play the KR client nor do i plan to play the SA client, as long as they keep 2D in the game i'm good to go, Jeremy mentioned when 95% of players use the new client then they may get rid of 2d, i highly doubt it will ever even get close to 50% so thats never going to happen

P

Pojman5

Who is Mr. Jacobs and what exactly did he say? Can you give me a link? :link:

Anyways, Yes - UO is horrible and it will die soon.

D

DHMagicMan_1

People have been saying this for 11 years... wasn't true then and not true now...

As long as the ongoing subscription income is more than enough to cover the ongoing costs of the equipment, staff and profits expected, the game will continue... It's not competing with WoW or any of the new stuff... it's got it's own classic following and will for some time. The team supporting it is smaller than the "Big Games", the numbers of servers and scale of hardware needed is much lower, and they are obviously still making money.

If you don't like UO, go find I game you do like.

A

AesSedai

Who is Mr. Jacobs and what exactly did he say? Can you give me a link? :link:

- Aww, why the need to promote such doomsaying? :(
At least expound upon why you think it is so horrible, perhaps?
Have you exhausted your uber armor already or are you still ~exploiting that.. ~system, till your heart's content? Just curious, eh? (I'm sure you will brag that you are indeed... but I care not about that; as much as I care to understand why you like to boast such negativity towards UO whilst you admittedly participate in it yourself...)

Mr. Jacobs is the person that is essentailly running this Mythic machine. Try the search function on Stratics or the search function on this interweb thingy for more info.

P

Pojman5

People have been saying this for 11 years... wasn't true then and not true now...

As long as the ongoing subscription income is more than enough to cover the ongoing costs of the equipment, staff and profits expected, the game will continue... It's not competing with WoW or any of the new stuff... it's got it's own classic following and will for some time. The team supporting it is smaller than the "Big Games", the numbers of servers and scale of hardware needed is much lower, and they are obviously still making money.

If you don't like UO, go find I game you do like.
Wow - thats not origional. Anyways, I have not played UO for months.

Now - Here comes the "why do you troll UO forums if you dont play UO? Get a life!"

DHMagicMan, have you not figured out that only those who use their thesaurus survive on Stratics? Where are your big words? Where are your technical arguements? You just dont cut it.

P

Pojman5

- Aww, why the need to promote such doomsaying? :(
At least expound upon why you think it is so horrible, perhaps?
Have you exhausted your uber armor already or are you still ~exploiting that.. ~system till your heart's content? Just curious, eh?

Mr. Jacobs is the person that is essentailly running this Mythic machine. Try the search function on Stratics or the search function on this interweb thingy for more info.
HAHA! much better arguement. I like this one. ummm... I gave away all my uber armor. I got sick of controling Pacific. It just got boreing. But, I must give myself kudos that for a span of 5 months Pac was all mine.

But!! If you are familiar with me and my "operation" you are familiar with my arguement that I never exploited.. I only traded. :mf_prop:

Flutter

Always Present
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I have a gut feeling this is going to be a pretty decent expansion.
Why?
Leurocian is working on it.
/end.

A

AesSedai

HAHA! much better arguement. I like this one. ummm... I gave away all my uber armor. I got sick of controling Pacific. It just got boreing. But, I must give myself kudos that for a span of 5 months Pac was all mine.

But!! If you are familiar with me and my "operation" you are familiar with my arguement that I never exploited.. I only traded. :mf_prop:
- I did edit my post a bit, just to give a fair notice. But when I said "~exploit" I intended for that to mean " loosely/essentially exploit." To buy known duped items via an illegal 3rd party locating utility is 'loosely/essentially' the same as exploiting the initial item in the first place; ~aka, you knew exactly what you were up to. But bravo and mas hubris for boasting that 'Pac was yours for 5 months', as a result. Heh ;)

P

Pojman5

- I did edit my post a bit, just to give a fair notice. But when I said "~exploit" I intended for that to mean " loosely/essentially exploit." To buy known duped items via an illegal 3rd party locating utility is 'loosely/essentially' the same as exploiting the initial item in the first place; ~aka, you knew exactly what you were up to. But bravo and mas hubris for boasting that 'Pac was yours for 5 months', as a result. Heh ;)
Thanks for the compliment! :) But yea, I never used any sort of 3rd party program or anything like that to acomplish my feats.. But you are correct in assuming that I purchased whatever the hell I wanted at whatever the hell quanities I desired. That is really all it was. Buy/sell, Buy/sell, rinse and repeat hundreads of times.

A

AesSedai

Thanks for the compliment! :) But yea, I never used any sort of 3rd party program or anything like that to acomplish my feats.. But you are correct in assuming that I purchased whatever the hell I wanted at whatever the hell quanities I desired. That is really all it was. Buy/sell, Buy/sell, rinse and repeat hundreads of times.
- I quoted you not more than a few months ago, when the last major bannings happened, where you stated that you used an illegal out of game method to find the cheapest runics for sale in-game, which you then procured in order to facilitate your activities. So, in your own words you actually have used a 3rd party program to accomplish your feats. This is simple fact.
(Just having a bit of fun with a few big words)

And now I leave you to respond, if you like

AND I leave this thread to return to its desired course, as I already threw my thoughts about the subject into it a few hours ago.

P

Pojman5

- I quoted you not more than a few months ago, when the last major bannings happened, where you stated that you used an illegal out of game method to find the cheapest runics for sale in-game, which you then procured in order to facilitate your activities. So, in your own words you actually have used a 3rd party program to accomplish your feats. This is simple fact.
(Just having a bit of fun with a few big words)

And now I leave you to respond, if you like

AND I leave this thread to return to its desired course, as I already threw my thoughts about the subject into it a few hours ago.
Oh... I suppose thats true. Wow, your complex wording and use of compound sentances in conjunction with perfect use of semicolons has left me dumfounded and at a loss.

Bravo! You are a professional thesaurus user! :thumbup1:

P

Pojman5

I am still just completly blown away. I have never seen anyone succesfully use the semicolon. Impressive!! :stretcher:

F

Flora Green

Maybe Jacobs and SA will somehow save you from the apocolypse. I hope you stocked up on food you really like.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
tbh, I thought that was going to be the case when we got KR, I genuinely believed we *had* to take to KR or else, so I did my level best to do that. But it just didn't work properly for me.

I sincerely hope that with this one they manage to keep the lid on the Japanese office. They release information too early waaay too often.

L

Loquacious Wrath

Its comments and attitudes like those below that help prevent UO from obtaining growth vital to its survival in the MMORPG market:

"I just don't buy the whole Chicken Little thing." (pure denial)

"If you don't like UO, go find I game you do like." (This is currently happening now)

"Who is Mr. Jacobs and what exactly did he say? Can you give me a link?" (here is your link http://vboards.stratics.com/showthread.php?t=107633)

"UO is horrible and it will die soon." (non-constructive negativity)

"i dont play the KR client nor do i plan to play the SA client, as long as they keep 2D in the game i'm good to go" (blind attitude that will never allow UO to grow)

"so thats never going to happen" (more denial, 100k subscriptions is not enough to employ UO staff indefinitely)

"due to people like me" (people like this stifle UO's potential in today’s MMORPG market)

"I'll play the SA client if it's better than 2D. If it's not, then I won't." (a common 2der's attitude that is influencing EA to ditch UO)

"I am not bashing KR but my experience with that left me bitter" (people are still bitter from AOS too and can't let go. Perhaps a RL personal issue...)

"give me UO like I pay for and bought in the first place" (Game experience may change during play and for business growth, the client must change too)

"what would be the point in accepting yet another bad product (if indeed it is bad) just so it can propigate itself?" (The answer is to make money so programmers/artists can be hired so eventually everyone can be happy. Without money, no UO.)

"I refuse to play UO:Ugly (KR). " (12+ million MMORPGers refuse to play 2d UO because it is ugly)

"Surely if that was the case there would be a formal ultimatum?" (Not likely. Did EA inform Sims Online users before they were erased into obilvion? No.)

Please understand that I wish UO to improve and remain an MMORPG. I am a realist and a RL entrepreneur. I could site many examples of how I could be wrong on this, but I could site many more example of how I could be correct. The probability of UO remaining this time next year will be greatly influenced by two factors. They are the amount of cash available to EA at fiscal year’s end, and the reasonable forecast for next year’s revenues. If the UO community is full of threats of “quitting subscribers”, there will not be enough justification for further money or time spent on UO. Conversely, if the UO community is receptive and positive to the final SA client, EA may listen.

UO has endured up to this point, but you cannot deny UO’s current staff is lacking in manpower. Money is required to hire warm bodies. EA must see growth, not flat or declining revenues. Maximum downsizing has already occurred. Most importantly, EA executive “doom saying” has already been made known to the EAMythic. Denial at this point is foolish.

Do the simple math on these round assumptions:

12,000,000 x $12.99 x 12 = $1,870,560,000 of potential MMORPG dollars to be had

100,000 x $12.99 x 12 = $15,588,000 that UO might gross is less than .09% of the market

Once you subtract inflationary overhead (servers, upkeep, bandwidth, salaries, etc.) from these figures you would see that UO is probably not profitable enough, even after the recent downsizing, for EA to justify investing further capital. Mark Jacobs has put his neck out on the chopping block and received very little gratitude from us for being able to even log in to 2d or KR today. The man receives threats from the sniveling worms of the MMORPG world all the time, but clearly is working to the best of his ability within the narrow guidelines set forth by EA.

There is only one path in which we, the UO community, can help Jacobs help us. We must continue spending money on UO when SA is released and embrace it with open arms because once EA decides to pull the plug on UO, I predict the illegal (free) servers will be shut down by EA through litigation. By using contingency lawyers, illegal UO Providers will be the last revenue streams EA will exploit before closing the door on UO forever.

The collective opinion of 100k UO subscribers must convey to EA that they believe in UO:SA so that EA will at least consider reinvesting one more time. The EAMythic staff has already done all they can do to convey this to EA. Please let UO live on by changing your attitudes and giving UO:SA the hope it requires. Give the new client praise, even if it means indulging in sacrifice, humility and compassion. If you cannot do this, UO will die. Please embrace the new client when it arrives and hope for the best.

(…and to Pojman5, stop posting in this thread if you wish to be off topic)

(If we had more attitudes like Dermott of LS, UO would be better off)

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What UO needs is

STOP KISSING VETERAN ARSES and
START WORKING ON IMPROVEMENTS FOR NEW PLAYERS.

We don't need not new landmass.
We don't need new uber artifacts.
We don't need any new dungeon.
We don't need new skills.
We don't need another yellow-pink dotted rare ten-leafed plant seed.
We don't need another 5-wheeled violet chariot as veteran rewards.

We need IMPROVED CONTENT for new and medium players.
We need MASSIVE IMPROVEMENTS to the existing world.
We need intelligent and random quests.
We need quests introducing new players into the complex world step by step.
We need more to do in Britannia than just hacking and slaying.
We need riddles, adventures, events.
We need better monster AI, dynamic spawns.
We need improved and more interesting dungeons.

SEIZE THE OPPORTUNITY OF STYGIAN ABYSS and improve UO at the same time, so new players will come AND STAY with this wonderful game.

L

Lord Patapon

Sadly, I gotta agree.

EA's moneymakers won't see a thing in this complex modern MMO market fog but money; and UO, definitely, is not as good as it was for this before.
Even if the last content add-on was pretty successful (ML), KR has been a failure anyhow (and no need to blame those who didn't like it, be real: it wasn't finished, and that's just it).

And above that, I don't believe that a lot of people will absolutely refuse to switch to a new client just because it's not 2d; get real about problems, and stop pancakes on those who don't share your views, dammit.
I know a lot of PvPers (who have the main reasons, apart from technical issues *g*, not to use KR) who are waiting for better graphics, too, even if a bit of sacrifice is involved.
KR wasn't a bit of sacrifice, it's was much more like suicide for PvP. (which obviously solves the bushido archers issue, true, but still ... :p)

Now, this add-on is mainly content based; a few new skills, new magic, new land, new big territories, new arties ... I mean: Woot !
So, this is why Im a bit scared about that new client thing.
Will they be ABLE to do both ? (not talking about talent here, but main, basic, solid RL issue; will EA let them do what it TAKES to get the thing right ? will they have enough time ?)

On another thought: content is important. new players is content. :D
New players are important ! Simple as that ! Please, please, please focus on this EA Mythic, and get the new client right.

edit@hawkeye_pipe: I understand that ... even if it's a bit extreme, and vets would need at least some new fun content, but new players are the main objective, really.

F

Fox (Europa)

You make it sound as though its the players' fault the game is in the state it is and its up to us to get it out of it. Which is utter BS.

The game is what it is because EA gave up on it. They stopped selling it in the shops and dumped it into suck-it-dry mode to concentrate on other projects.

The only ones who can save it are EA - by putting it back on the shop shelves and marketing it again. Whether that be as a retro-nostalgia game or whatever, it don't matter.

Unless EA attracts new players by selling the product then UO is dead. And you whining about existing players picking up yet another new client won't change that.

Fox