• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Post Where You Found Refinement Components

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The gold for a strngbox is generated as if it was a chest, but the rest is different, IIRC.

Adol

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey again; I think you're right about the 40k being the Ancient, but I've always thought of it as "Special" due to having a different container and always a white net and somewhat improved loot in there... but as long as you're recording the data under 40k, that's fine ;)

Some more for you:

20k MiB:
Polish Of Protection, Platemail Samurai, Deflecting
Varnish Of Defence, Gargoyle Stone, Reinforced

10k MiB:

No refinements.

30k MiB:

No refinements.

30k MiB:

No refinements

They don't seem all that consistent or common in MiBs so far then!

startle

Siege... Where the fun begins.
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm still pretty new to the MIBs, but I was under the impression that the Ancient SOS chests were the only SOS chests that came with 40k in them (other than maybe a Ship's Strongbox). Is that incorrect? Can you get 40k gold from a chest that came from a regular SOS? .
No you can't. I've done literally hundreds of SOS's over the past year, and "normal" SOS's are 10,20, or 30k only.

I've only had two Ancient SOS chests since I got back into fishing recently and they both had 40k in them and I haven't had any other chests with 40k in them and have fished up about 40 or so in the last 2-3 weeks. I've yet to get a Ship's Strongbox, but I'll definitely add it as a category.
The Ship's Strongbox is by far the "2nd most rare" of what can be fished up from normal SOS's... Seriously more rare than the other normal "rares" found like Table Legs, Nets, Dresses, Bows, Leggings, etc... The only thing more "rare" than the Strongboxes is, of course, the Yellow Polka Dot Bikini - of which I have 3 now - thank you very much. :cool:

Last edited:

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If my memory serves, there's 1 strongbox type that might be at least as rare as the bikini. I seem to remember someone getting a WHITE strongbox from an ASOS. Am I misremembering, or can someone confirm?

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Whoops posted my last gathering post in the thread on Uhall by mistake: here

Another 302 items

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If my memory serves, there's 1 strongbox type that might be at least as rare as the bikini. I seem to remember someone getting a WHITE strongbox from an ASOS. Am I misremembering, or can someone confirm?
While I have done perhaps a total of at least 1500 (probably more, wasn't counting) SOS's, I'm saving my ASOS's for fun later so have never seen or heard of a WHITE strongbox from an ASOS or anywhere else for that matter... But you've now given me something to hopefully look forward to.... I would love to have a pure white strongbox... That would be the crowning touch on the oceanfront, fishing theme home I'm getting ready to build...

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It looks like Stratics had a revert of some sort. So I'm posting some Trammel SOS chest results again.

• 20k chest with Enchanted Kelp Woven leggings: Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone and Varnish of Defense for Woodland.
  • 10k chest with Runed Driftwood Bow and Grapevine section: No refinement components.
  • 10k chest with nothing special in the chest: No refinement components.
  • 30k chest with nothing special in the chest: Scour of Defense for Ringmail, Wash of Protection for Studded Leather, Polish of Defense for Ringmail.
  • 30k chest with Special Fishing Net and Level 4 T-map: No refinement components.
  • 30k chest with Antique Wedding Dress and Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings in the chest: Polish of Hardening for Ringmail.
  • 30k chest with Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie: No refinement components.
  • 20k chest with nothing special in the chest: Polish of Defense for Ringmail.
  • 20k chest with Antique Wedding Dress, Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings, and Runed Driftwood Bow: Polish of Protection for Chainmail.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A couple more Trammel SOS chest results:

• 40k ancient chest with fabled fishing net but nothing else special: Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai
  • 10k chest with nothing special in it: No refinement components.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Several more Trammel SOS chest results:

• 30k chest with a level 4 t-map, Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings, and Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie: No refinement components.
  • 20k chest with nothing special in it: No refinement components.
  • 20k chest with special fishing net in it: No refinement components.
  • 30k chest with a level 4 t-map and Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie: Polish of Defense for Dragon and Cure of Fortification for Studded Samurai.
  • 30k chest with nothing special in it: Wash of Hardening for Studded Leather and Cure of Hardening for Hide.
  • 30k chest with nothing special in it: No refinement components.

startle

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tina Small started this thread and has been putting together a very nice, exhaustive spreadsheet that lists the numbers for refinement components from ALL possible sources - and it can be found here.
In my post #38 (here), I listed specific refinements found as well as the important contents of 57 Trammel SOS chests and what level of SOS (10,20 or 30k) chest each came from. Like Adol, I have spent a lot of time fishing this past year. I have one fishermen that pretty much has done nothing but fish for SOS's from Sea Serpents and another fisherman that does nothing but fish up the SOS chests. So I am very knowledgeable when it comes to what is obtained from the primary 3 levels of SOS chests. In the past couple of weeks alone, I have done in excess of 1500 chests gathering refinement components.

A few things regarding refinements in SOS chests became apparent fairly early on...

The first is that the level of refinement (by level I mean "of Defense" as being the lowest (most common) component - up to "of Invulnerability" the highest level (most uncommon found) - that the component level has NOTHING to do with the "level" of SOS chest. My reason for saying that is this: One of the 7 "of Invulnerability" refinements obtained came from a Level 1 (10k) SOS chest. This means that - however they have coded the rng for refinements - they have given all levels of SOS chests the possibility of spawning with all levels of refinement components. Furthurmore, we have no way of knowing what Level an SOS will be prior to fishing it up - so even if the refinement component level was tied to - let's say 30k chests - it would make no difference in fishing them up - since you can't know the level before you fish it up.

The next thing I can confirm, is that the chance of getting one or more refinement components on any given SOS is somewhere between 20% and 40% of all SOS chests - and my guess is that it's closer to 20%. As mentioned in the pic I posted earlier today, I am going to dedicate my next 100 SOS's to gathering an exact % and will post it here.

Next, the chance of getting multiple refinement components on a single SOS chest is increased in the same manner as the number of items in an SOS. It goes up according to what level the SOS is. So, you are more apt to find multiple components in a 30k chest than in a 20k chest and almost never (perhaps actually never) find multiple refinements in a 10k chest.

And finally. Given the % (or rarity) of obtaining Invulnerability refinements at between 1% and 2% (and that's between 1 and 2% of all refinements obtained) - and given that you only stand a 20 to 40% chance of getting a refinement component from all SOS chests - it means that - the odds of getting Invulnerability refinements from SOS chests is somewhere seriously LESS than 1% - pretty darn rare. IMHO - TOO RARE.

What do you think?

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just finished adding some Trammel SOS chest data to the Google spreadsheet that Startle sent to me in a spreadsheet. Below is a quick summary of the information I added for those 35 chests. As you can see, only 13 of the 35 chests contained refinement components.

30k chests with components in them (8 out of 11 30k chests)
  • Cure of Protection for Studded Leather
  • Scour of Hardening for Platemail
  • Scour of Protection for Dragon, Varnish of Fortification for Gargish Stone, Varnish of Defense for Gargish Stone
  • Varnish of Defense for Gargish Stone
  • Scour of Hardening for Platemail
  • Cure of Hardening for Studded Leather, Gloss of Protection for Gargish Stone, Polish of Hardening for Dragon
  • Varnish of Protection for Gargish Stone, Scour of Defense for Gargish Platemail
  • Gloss of Hardening for Gargish Stone
20k chests with components in them (3 out of 11 20k chests):
  • Varnish of Protection for Gargish Stone
  • Gloss of Defense for Gargish Stone
  • Scour of Protection for Platemail, Varnish of Protection for Gargish Stone
10k chests with components in them (2 out of 13 10k chests)
  • Wash of Defense for Bone

Last edited:

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just added to the Google spreadsheet data Startle sent me last week for 136 Trammel SoS chests. Only 54 of the chests had refinement components in them.

Refinement components found in chests with 30k gold (24 of 41 chests):
  • Wash of Fortification for Bone
  • Scour of Hardening for Chainmail, Varnish of Defense for Woodland, Scour of Protection for Dragon
  • Scour of Invulnerability for Gargish Platemail
  • Cure of Hardening for Hide, Polish of Protection for Dragon, Polish of Hardening for Gargish Platemail
  • Wash of Hardening for Hide, Wash of Protection for Hide, Wash of Defense for Studded Samurai
  • Polish of Defense for Platemail Samurai, Varnish of Defense for Gargish Stone
  • Wash of Protection for Studded Leather
  • Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai
  • Gloss of Defense for Woodland, Varnish of Protection for Woodland
  • Varnish of Hardening for Woodland
  • Scour of Fortification for Gargish Platemail, Gloss of Protection for Woodland
  • Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Gloss of Protection for Woodland
  • Gloss of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Polish of Protection for Gargish Platemail, Wash of Defense for Studded Samurai
  • Gloss of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Polish of Protection for Gargish Platemail, Wash of Defense for Studded Samurai
  • Gloss of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone
  • Wash of Protection for Hide
  • Scour of Defense for Platemail Samurai
  • Scour of Protection for Platemail Samurai, Polish of Protection for Gargish Platemail
  • Polish of Protection for Platemail, Polish of Fortification for Ringmail, Scour of Protection for Gargish Platemail
  • Scour of Protection for Ringmail, Polish of Defense for Platemail
  • Cure of Defense for Studded Samurai
  • Wash of Hardening for Studded Samurai
  • Gloss of Protection for Woodland
  • Gloss of Defense for Woodland
Refinement components found in chests with 20k gold (21 of 46 chests):
  • Cure of Protection for Bone, Gloss of Hardening for Woodland
  • Polish of Fortification for Dragon, Cure of Hardening for Studded Leather
  • Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai
  • Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone, Cure of Fortification for Studded Leather
  • Wash of Defense for Hide
  • Gloss of Invulnerability for Woodland, Varnish of Hardening for Woodland
  • Varnish of Defense for Woodland, Varnish of Defense for Gargish Stone
  • Varnish of Hardening for Woodland, Scour of Hardening for Platemail Samurai
  • Wash of Hardening for bone
  • Polish of Defense for Chainmail, Scour of Protection for Platemail
  • Polish of Defense for Gargish Platemail, Scour of Defense for Dragon
  • Gloss of Fortification for Gargish Stone, Wash of Protection for Studded Samurai
  • Gloss of Protection for Gargish Stone
  • Cure of Protection for Hide
  • Wash of Defense for Hide
  • Polish of Protection for Platemail Samurai
  • Scour of Fortification for Platemail Samurai
  • Scour of Defense for Platemail Samurai
  • Varnish of Hardening for Woodland, Polish of Hardening for Platemail Samurai
  • Gloss of Hardening for Woodland, Wash of Defense for Studded Samurai
Refinement components found in chests with 10k gold (9 of 49 chests):
  • Scour of Defense for Gargish Platemail
  • Cure of Defense for Hide
  • Gloss of Defense for Woodland
  • Polish of Defense for Platemail
  • Scour of Defense for Ringmail
  • Wash of Protection for Studded Leather
  • Varnish of Hardening for Woodland, Polish of Hardening for Platemail Samurai

hen

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
20 Felucca MIBs fished up.

1. 30k No refinements. No specials.
2. 10k No refinements. No specials.
3. 20k No refinements. No specials.
4. 30k Polish of Defence for Dragon Armour. Special: Runed Driftwood Bow.
5. 30k No refinements. No specials.
6. 10k No refinements. Special fishing net.
7. 10k No refinements. No soecials.
8. 30k Wash of Hardening for Studded Leather Armour, Wash of Defence for Bone Armour. Special: Kelp Leggings.
9. 30k Scour of Defence for Gargish Platemail Armour. Special: Kelp Leggings.
10. 30k No refinements. Special: Level 4 Map.
11. 40k No refinements. Special: Level 5 Map, Fabled Fishing Net.
12. 20k No refinements. No Specials.
13. 30k No refinements. Special: Kelp Leggings.
14. 20k No refinements. Special: Runed Driftwood Bow.
15. 20k Cure of Fortification for Studded Leather Armour, Gloss of Protection for Gargish Stone Armour. Special: Level 3 Map.
16. 10k No refinements. Special: Level 2 Map, Special fishing net.
17. 20k No refinements. Level 3 Map.
18. 10k No refinements. No specials.
19. 10k No refinements. Special : Grape Vines.
20. 10k No refinements. No Specials.

Maybe the RNG was unkind to me here, or maybe the drop rate needs upped a bit in MIBs.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm finally caught up on posting to the Google spreadsheet some Trammel SOS chest results from Startle. Too many too summarize here, except to say that there were many, many chests at all levels that had no refinement components in them. I've also added Hen's results immediately above this post to the spreadsheet.

Below are my results from approximately the last month, which I've added to the Google spreadsheet.

Trammel SOS chests:
  • 20k with nothing special in it: No refinement components.
  • 20k with nothing special in it: Scour of Defense for Chainmail.
  • 20k with Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings and Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie: Scour of Protection for Platemail and Wash of Defense for Studded Samurai.
  • 20k with Runed Driftwood Bow: Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone.
  • 10k with Enchanted Kelp Woven Leggings: No refinement components.
  • 20k with nothing special in it: 2X Scour of Protection for Platemail Samurai.
  • 10k with nothing special in it: No refinement components.
  • 30k with nothing special in it: Wash of Protection for Bone, Gloss of Defense for Gargish Stone, Cure of Fortification for Bone.
  • 20k with special fishing net in it: No refinement components.
  • 20k with special fishing net in it: Scour of Defense for Ringmail, Cure of Hardening for Studded Leather.
  • 10k with grapevine section: No refinement components.
  • 30k with Antique Wedding Dress and level 4 t-map in it: No refinement components.
  • 40k ancient: Scour of Defense for Ringmail, Cure of Defense for Studded Samurai, Cure of Hardening for Bone.
  • 40k ancient with a level 5 t-map and Bronzed Armor of the Valkyrie in it: No refinement components.
Trammel Merchant Ship Holds:
  • Wash of Defense for Bone, Wash of Protection for Bone, Varnish of Fortification for Gargish Stone, Scour of Protection for Platemail Samurai.
  • Wash of Protection for Studded Leather, Varnish of Fortification for Woodland, Varnish of Protection for Woodland, Varnish of Defense for Woodland, Gloss of Protection for Woodland, Gloss of Invulnerability for Gargish Stone.
  • Scour of Hardening for Ringmail, Cure of Hardening for Studded Leather, Polish of Invulnerability for Chainmail, Varnish of Protection for Woodland.
  • Wash of Defense for Hide, Polish of Defense for Chainmail, Cure of Hardening for Hide, Cure of Hardening for Bone.
  • Polish of Defense for Platemail, Wash of Defense for Hide, Varnish of Protection for Gargish Stone.
  • Wash of Protection for Studded Leather, Gloss of Protection for Woodland, Cure of Protection for Studded Samurai, Varnish of Defense for Woodland, Gloss of Defense for Woodland.
  • Cure of Defense for Studded Leather, Cure of Hardening for Bone, Gloss of Defense for Gargish Stone, Scour of Protection for Gargish Platemail, Varnish of Defense for Woodland.
  • Gloss of Protection for Woodland, Scour of Hardening for Platemail, and Varnish of Defense for Woodland.
  • Cure of Protection for Studded Leather, Gloss of Defense for Woodland, Cure of Defense for Hide, Wash of Defense for Hide.
  • Cure of Protection for Hide, Cure of Hardening for Studded Leather, Varnish of Hardening for Woodland, Scour of Defense for Platemail Samurai, Scour of Hardening for Gargish Platemail.
  • Cure of Defense for Hide, Varnish of Invulnerability for Woodland, Polish of Defense for Platemail, Polish of Protection for Gargish Platemail.
  • Wash of Protection for Studded Leather, 2X Cure of Protection for Hide, Polish of Defense for Platemail.
  • Wash of Defense for Bone, Polish of Defense for Chainmail, Gloss of Defense for Gargish Stone, Gloss of Defense for Woodland.
Trammel Pirate Ship Hold:
  • Gloss of Defense for Gargish Stone, Cure of Hardening for Hide.
Fel Treasure Maps:
  • Level 4: Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone and Wash of Defense for Hide.
  • Level 4: Varnish of Defense for Gargish Stone and Varnish of Hardening for Gargish Stone.