• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PETITION TO MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE ALL FELUCCA RULES BASED

G

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

That already exists so why not play there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Siege is an awful shard, badly handled. It's single biggest mistake was ever introducing items. Had it not introduced items, it would be a far more popular shard.

Aside from the RoT, most people would have probably got past that and played that, had it not been a poor man's AoS shard.

Using Siege as an example for not having a Pre UO:R, or Pre AOS shard is incredibly short sighted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hell yeah and I thought I was the only other person that could see that!

G

The only FEELING I get from reading your posts is that you vastly over estimate the amount of people who like pvp. Felucca is nearly empty because its not what most people want imho. I would play siege if not for RoT. Both my crafters get all my resources from Fel. The risk of getting whacked doesn't bother me.

As for the "rotting cow", if UO went all Felucca I don't think it would last past this year. Besides...aged beef is pretty tasty.

G

No....

Dude, you need to come outside into the sunshine... smell the roses...

UO never had more than 250,000 players, at its best... and I see 7 of your buddies, signed your petition...

Thats a whole lota support you got there, for "Freeforall" PvP (Fel rule set)...

Take WoW for example, they got like 8.5 million players... WoW made more money in their 1st year, than UO did in 10 yrs... and they gota PvP "switch", something the UO Devs never supported...

I don't think "Trammel" is why UO IS dieing...

Vallend

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the laugh this may be the funniest post I have seen in a long time.

I mean Tram was brought about to save UO because EQ had just came out and many players who were tired of the greifers and PKs were flocking there. As of right now the vast majority of players play on the Tram side. If a Fel only rule set was what the people wanted everyone would be playing in Fel wouldn't they? If they went to a Fel only rule set you can bet UO would be gone in 6 months time.

Its just the old players who got a rush out of killing players weaker then them or stealing from others that really want it all to be Fel. As it is now we have room for both types of players.. We have Tram and Fel so you can play whatever style of play you desire. I once had a player tell me, " Those who PKed the new players and the craftsmen were not true PvPers, but greifers. True PvPers look for a challenging foe because you take more pride in knowing you have defeated a foe that was your equal. That has stuck with me over the years, and it still rings true with me to this day. The same person also pointed out that when Tram was formed those former PKs either had to learn how to either really learn how to PvP or move on from the game and lament about the old days when they thought they were tough for killing the mostly defenseless.

If a person wants a good PvP fight they can play in Fel otherwise they can relax and enjoy themselves in Tram. Its the best of both worlds, though I do think they need to reward Factions to give us PvPers more to do besides champion spawns and the Yew moongate. Maybe even take the snowball fight idea that is on test and give us a tournament system to see who really is the best on each shard? Also a new land with Fel only rules would be nice too maybe work some RvR combat in there too? Lots could be done to improve PvP but making everything the Fel rule set is not it. UO has room for all kinds of playstyles, PvP, PvM, Crafting, RPing, Banksitting, Selling and collecting rares. Thats what makes UO so great you can do anything you want without worrying about leveling like other games.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

The only FEELING I get from reading your posts is that you vastly over estimate the amount of people who like pvp. Felucca is nearly empty because its not what most people want imho.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats your judgement, and to an extent it maybe correct, but Felucca is empty for a lot more reasons than people not wanting to participate in PvP.

Questions have to be asked, ones such as, why have so many PvPers quit in the past? Unfortunatly, these questions they have shyed away from publically answering, and because the PvP system is so complex, there is a lot of dithering about and not enough action.

PvP problems are game changing, enough to make someone quit. The majority of PvM issues are not, and are fairly insignificant in comparison - which is why they tend to hold more players as well.

It is really not as simple as Trammel Population vs Felucca Population.

T

Terraxia

RTLFC

The best solution is one that when suggested, gets a post deleted or thread locked, so I will just assume ppl know what im talking about.

Another idea would be a siege like shard without ROT and the other things that seperate siege from production shards with the exception of all fel ruleset and no transfers. No mirror trammel needed, so one less facet. You could then put powerscrolls on all champ spawns and there would be blood in the streets of luna. Harrowers could spawn in any dungeon just for yucks too.

G

Funny how no one looks past what they themselves want and how everyone here is speaking for the majority or the players out there...

So many narrow minded people...

Yet this is why UO is the way it is because everyone has an opinion and to them their opinion is the only one that matters.

But no matter how many times these things are pointed out it will always fall on deaf ears because no one cares about anything unless it is to their benefit alone.

Ok all together now everyone cry about what you want lets hear and get it over with no one even try to consider other possibilities no one try to think of any kind of compromise that lies in the middle...

Just read a couple posts and make up your mind completely then and there.

F

Fayled Dhreams

sorry ... but before I click the "notify button" ... one question:
If all Fel All the time is so great, and there being no restriction on a blue going in .. only on a red getting out ...
Why isn't fel all shoulder to shoulder on all shards population wise?
hmmmm?

*click*

G

No one has even addressed the issue of skillsets and how it would be absurd to even propose such an idea. There are too many variable skills now compared to then and the difference between a pvm char and a pvp one and unless a pvmer is willing to totaly abandon everything they have known to play the game all they would do is end up as bait and then deactivate there accounts in frustration.

I personaly perfer fel but I do not and will not pvp for a miriad of reasons the main being to me its pointless since there are to many things that can give a player edge that isnt neccassarily legal that I am not willing to do and I am not willing to give a cheating child my insur money.

G

[quote UO is FEELINGS,

[/ QUOTE ]

With this said, I think someone needs to log off the computer for a day or two and realize you can develop true "feelings" with rl instead of a game!

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for proving that Trammel saved UO from mindsets like yours.

Can I have your stuff?

Stigmatas

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

We will have :

1) tons of new players in ULTIMA ONLINE and tons of old players coming back

2) tons of new ppl to kill monsters with

3) tons of real fights btw ppl who enjoy pvp (between them!)

4) some random killings of pkers vs blues ofc

5) Thousands of people quitting in mass just like back when there was no Trammel due to bands of roving, smack talking pre-schoolers who have nothing better to do.

Do you want to play "a rotting cow game" (as they described it) or a game that has again a BIG player base?

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

sorry ... but before I click the "notify button" ... one question:
If all Fel All the time is so great, and there being no restriction on a blue going in .. only on a red getting out ...
Why isn't fel all shoulder to shoulder on all shards population wise?
hmmmm?

*click*

[/ QUOTE ]

Stratics Police all the way....

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Yup you can sit there and say "go play siege" but shouldn't I be able to sit here and say we only need one shard that is all trammel for everyone who doesn't enjoy my preferred style to play on?

Siege is not my idea of a good time the all fel rules are sweet but lets face it no insurance makes the whole damned thing lame. The whole problem "back in the day" was a lack of insurance. You couldn't use anything good because you WOULD lose it. Not MIGHT you WOULD. Biggest problem I see today is a lack of people even willing to go to felucca even though there is NO RISK. You cannot honestly call the ity bitty amount of insurance money you lose when you die a risk if you do please don't admit to it ever...

I guess I should also ask you what fun the game is without ANY risk because I know from experience that this game was MUCH more interesting and fun when there was more risk involved.

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed man, you get the right points.

Siege is a wrong mix btw old fashioned UO (no insurance) with new game rules (i.e. having resisting spells was like having an armour, you could absorb the dmg of the spells, now it's useless except for paralyze, poison, curse and mana vamp)

Siege is awful because having a shard with no insurance but with new rules of uo, with faster casting etc...is totally madness...it makes it unplayable. Another thing is to have a PVP OLD FASHIONED PRE AOS UO (TOTALLY pre aos)

CHANGE SIEGE then into a pre aos uo

make it one on AMERICAN SHARDS

and make it one on the EUROPA shard.

ok do that, not a awful mix

G

<blockquote><hr>

Moderators of Stratics can't see over their fingers.

[/ QUOTE ] *chuckles*

Hmm, no, this whole topic is a Spiel n' Rant. What little constructiveness there is here is drowned out by users bashing each other's opinions with more ranting and spieling of their own. It states in the U.Hall (that says "read before posting!") sticky that Pre-Renaissance Threads will be removed. Count your thread lucky it was moved here and I am letting it live.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

It states in the U.Hall (that says "read before posting!") sticky that Pre-Renaissance Threads will be removed. Count your thread lucky it was moved here and I am letting it live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, and really I don't see why this rule was ever put in place. It's quite clear there is strong enough support for such a shard - maybe not in this thread but in the past, irrespective of the huge trolling that constantly goes on in any thread which mentions Felucca.

If the customer can't voice their opinion on the official forum, then really, what is the point in the forum.

G

The thing is, they did make an official response. Many many years ago, which is why that post was placed there in the U.Hall, Read Before Posting, Sticky.

If EA/Mythic would like to re-examine their decision on "Pre-Renaissance" Servers, I am sure they would make a post, let us know, and the restriction would be lifted.

Since this is Spiels n' Rants, I am extending leniency here and seeing how such a thread will fare here instead.

Minus the mentioning of the "free shards," of course. Those get snipped to keep any discussion on them from forming.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm well aware of their stance but not allowing any discussion of any sort on the forum? Way for them to shoot themselves in the foot.

How would not allowing any discussions, make them even consider reversing the decision?

G

You see, "Pre-Ren" threads have proven themselves to always be a trouble-maker. Few can stay constructive and when they are strictly moderated and kept constructive they die away and are forgotten. So, it has always proven to be in the best interest of Community to close up or remove the "Pre-Ren" threads for all they seem to mass is accusations, hearsay, freeshard mentioning, name callings, and the bad-mouthing of the Dev Teams and or other Game Staff (as well as, many times, our own staff here at Stratics too have seen the end of an attack or two).

So, out of Compassion for the Valor of the "Pre-Ren" wishers out there, Spiels n' Rants has found itself a new thread to call it's own.

Let's steer away now from why this thread is here and why it shall be the only one, for now, in UO Stratics and allow posters to focus back on the topic of the Thread. Aye aye.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Again, I'm aware of all these factor's, as I was also part of the staff years ago, so I know how heated things can get, that doesn't mean to say it should be avoided. Otherwise it's just a case of putting your hands over your eyes and saying it doesn't exist.

I'll just have to agree to disagree here.

I

imported_Lord Kynd

no
but while your at changing things you could REMOVE Fel. altogether

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

The thing is, they did make an official response. Many many years ago , which is why that post was placed there in the U.Hall, Read Before Posting, Sticky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Key words....New Company , many things have changed..

G

<blockquote><hr>

Case in point.

[/ QUOTE ]While I rarely agree with Mr. Kynd, on his anti-PvP stance... Suggesting the removal of the Felucca rulset is no more trolling than suggesting the removal of the Trammel ruleset.
In these discussions, both sides can be as bad as each other. Both in attitude, and factual basis of their ideas.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It offers absolutely nothing this discussion, is not even remotely relevant to the topic, and the post is designed to get a rise out of people. What about that is not trolling?

G

Where do you draw the line between "counterpoint" and "troll"?
It could be argued that, by calling him a troll, your are trolling, yourself. Or, that it's a personal attack.

Why the rules lawyering?

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It ruin's good discussions, and get's thread's moved/deleted/locked. It's incredibly frustrating having people post in topic about Felucca, irrespective of whether they play there, and demanding the facet should be deleted, or making sweeping accusations that all Felucca players are cheaters. Of course it's not a one way stream, that doesn't make it any less annoying.

There is almost zero point in trying to have a rational discussion on UO Hall, about important issues and I guess, it's a lot of frustration at the lack of fixes - despite efforts of players indicating where the problems lie - including behind the scenes. I guess I'm just fed up of UO in general and having to wait 6 months between fixes for things that should never really have happened in the first place, all for a couple of posters to come in and spam threads with ridiculous crap like 'REMOVE FELUCCA'.

G

Actually, the post itself got the thread moved, in this case.

It may be annoying for people to say that Felucca should be deleted...
But, wasn't this thread about, in effect, deleting Trammel?
Or, at least, many of the things that makes Trammel more popular for players than Felucca...

There is no high ground for either side of the discussion.
Rather than removing a ruleset, so as to "bring back the good old days" or "remove the evil PvP", what the game needs is to have PvP integrated into the game, more.
Right now, it's like some [censored] stepchild, who's only allowed visitation rights to the Trammel facets, and has to stay in a little cupboard under the stairs all the rest of the time.
If PvP was actually brought to the rest of the game (not in the form of non-consensual PvP), then it would stop being this little niche thing.
Of course, there are plenty of things that would need fixing before[/i] that.

Ramble over

G

Just to be a twit, I say that since an apparent majority of characters are in the Trammel ruleset facets that FELUCCA should be the one to go.

I, for one, would not be against a total Felucca ruleset shard but some would argue that is what Siege and Mugen are for.

Then again, I'm in a perverse mood due to being snowed in and having to soon remote into work (slow, slow, slow response) from home.

G'day!

A

ALEXVII

Were Siege and Mugen around pre-Tram?

I for one would very much like to see Tram go. Just give us some real forwarning beforehand!
Oh, some weight for my vote? I would recruit more people to play UO again as my guild of TST (original Fel red-hunter guild) would need some quality players (which UO lacks numbers of now). I may even open more accounts. If it were so that Trammel fell to (in storyline) the "air" that now rules Fel and say both facets were Felluca rulsets (as Fel is now and maybe even some NEW additions to the new Tram ruleset) I bet there would be a return to UO like I KNOW EA would LOVE to see!!

Yesssssssssss! let the Darkness cover the land! (and bring me some worthy foes!! ...mine axe is hungry)

A

ALEXVII

<blockquote><hr>

Marriage has made quite an impression on me ... usually the imprint from the bricks I have been slamming my head against.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well why didn't you "hit the bricks" BEFORE you got married!!???

S

Sergul'zan_SP

<blockquote><hr>

If you want all Fel based rules go to sever list and click Siege Perilous.

[/ QUOTE ]

We &lt;3 Siege.

G

Oof! You task my memory. Siege (and then Mugen) came much later than an earlier incarnation call Abyss. Abyss was a combination of TC and a full Fel ruleset. Actually it was the full game ruleset but with skill gates to set your character up right off. Pre-Tram, so you know what that was like.

Abyss was scrapped and there was a not-so-quiet period where the players from that shard REALLY nagged on the Devs to produce **something**. Siege was born although it did not always have the different skill gain system it has today. Mugen came after Siege, but I can't recall when.

While I have Legendary Dirtnapper in the PvP world, I would not like to see Trammel disappear as you've suggested without allowing me to move my house out of that soon-to-be free-fire zone. Why? I really do suxxors at PvP ... I've tried on prod shards and Siege. &lt;shakes head&gt; True corpsicle here.

Here are some things I would like to see for an all-Fel (full game) ruleset. An effective stat/skill loss setup for anyone who wishes to go ot the red side. An effective bounty system whereby a Bounty Hunter may properly challenge and get a 1:1 on a PK s/he hunts. True dueling system ... no outside interference allowed.

Rules ... no looting. For either participant. PK wins, no added count; hunter wins s/he gets credit for the kill and 70% of the bounty is deposited in their bankbox (30% is for capital gains taxes, handling charges).

G

&lt;chuckle&gt; I did. That's called #1, then 7 years in the bottle before #2.

Actually that line came about in a discussion over in Stratics OT - on marriage.

M

Madis

Ya know, the one thing that is missing, is EQUALITY of the combatants. I dont mean in their RL abilities, I mean in the equipment. It is near impossible to compete with most of the PvPer's I've meant on line. As much as I enjoyed PvP back in the day, I'm not gonna spend all of my time in UO gold farming to get equiped to go and PvP.

If there could be a balance in the equipment, I'd be back in Fell in a heart beat to compete. As I said earlier in this post, I also think that insurance in Fell is keeping some folks away...no...thats not quite right. If there was no insurance in Fell, it might help bring some folks back, say maybe 2 to 4 folks allied together, outfitted with reasonable gear/weps, with the hope of ambushing a RED with great gear, maybe killing him and walking away with some good stuff?? I think I'd grab a friend or two and head to Fell if there was the possiblility of walking away with some better equipment.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

Ultima online was a revolutionary game , there isn't still now a game like UO . They tried to make it a trammel based game , by copying other games. Doing this they lost 60% of the players. Cuz the 60% actually was not only doing some PvM but also enjoying PvP.

[/ QUOTE ]

where do you get this figure? Everything I've heard says they had far higher subscription rates when pvp was optional.

<blockquote><hr>

UO was a real land with real life rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was still a video game land.

<blockquote><hr>

When you were going to the ORC FORT near Cove doing PvM , you could see 7 Players killing ONE Ettin... and after being there for 1 or 2 hours...3 or 4 Pkers were appearing and killing everybody.

But guess what? the blue players were keeping to go there to fight monsters , to win gold and the pkers were going there to kill them often.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have no point here. Except to explain how things used to be. You don't offer much in showing how this was a better or more entertaining system.

<blockquote><hr>

The blue players could say " it was scary, it wasn't right" but at the end they loved the feeling of suspance that was around the Ultima online lands.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? They loved that suspance eh? Ok poor ass spelling aside, that's a stupid sentence based solely on assumption.

<blockquote><hr>

Facts. if you don't think so, you've never understood the REAL Ultima Online game.

[/ QUOTE ]

That isn't a fact. That is an assertion.

<blockquote><hr>

UO can actually have a +100 % players by bringing BACK the old "scary and real life " atmosphere to the game. THIS REASON was why UO was SO damn COOL.

[/ QUOTE ]

If people thought like this, that the old way was SO damn COOL, why wasn't Felucca the zone that was overpopulated? Fact is the old pvp rule set sucked, people got ganked and looted of all gold, armor, weapons and items they were carrying. When an option to opt out of PvP came, people went to it in droves.

<blockquote><hr>

It's not ABOUT PvP, it's about real life feelings --&gt; "you don't know what 's happening in the near future."

UO won't be able to compete vs Graphic based game like WOW etc (how many players has WOW lol?) but UO is a matter of FEELINGS, and other games wouldn't be able to reach the level that UO can have at this.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're assuming that all the warm cuddly feelings people had for UO were wrapped up in the old pvp system. I don't think this is the case.
Pker and Uo player since 1997

G

Bounty duel:

Nekkid. When entering duel venue (whereever it is), any item equipped in the hands is kept. All else including jewelry slots are emptied by the game and items deposited in the bank for that character. Or in a secured container only accessible to the character. Backpack items are okay ... including pots, bombs and other items.

That pretty much destroys armor-based uberness I think. Resist will be maxed at 40 per (45 for Elf energy I think) - tops. This is determined by Resisting Spells skill.

Think thats more equitable? &lt;shrug&gt; I couldn't say ... so I gotta rely on PvP input to this one.

M

Madis

Ya know, for you and me and a good amount of folks, that would be alot of fun. Going after one another, knowing that you are closer to being equals than anytime in the recent past. Knowing that it's your skill against his skill, your ability to be a back stabbing assassin against his ability to drawn a bow and shoot straight. Now, add to that a system to keep track, and/or the fact that say 10k, 25k or whatever is agreed upon (a bet), and it goes to the winner. Could be fun.

Now, to the ones who PvP now, who knows, maybe they would enjoy it too. Anyone who still PvPs regularly wanna jump in and say how this could be made better?

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

Whatever has been said between me and Kiss Of Death previously I gotta admit he's totally right on this.

IMO insurance is good and items *seem* to be good(as they are, without wearing out). Doom got "fixed" so everyone can obtain arties, keep that as a PvP Switch area. The rest should be under Felucca's ruleset. I could live with Champspawns being PvP Switch areas too if ALL the rest was Fel.

I'd sacrifice my home(s) in Trammel and all their contents and my bank's contents if the facets were to be merged again, with that condition.

It has been impossible for me to re-live the excitement of the older days. As Kiss says the game worked on your mind and your feelings a lot more. No other game manages that and UO doesn't anymore.

*EDIT* If some of you think Felucca is simply a by-product or an abomination because of some persistent anti-socials I've got this to say, UO has failed as a PvM game or we'd have WoW's subscribers. Or at least Lineage's. Or even Everquest 2's.

No, it's definitely a good point in time for the Devs to place their money on what made UO unique instead of another PvM/Quest oriented game. That plan is going nowhere.
Moreover, ALL other successfull PvM games out there VALUE their PvP crowds no end. Especially WoW.
So I think it's best if the Devs try to bring that feeling back in Ultima ASAP.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

Whatever has been said between me and Kiss Of Death previously I gotta admit he's totally right on this.

IMO insurance is good and items *seem* to be good(as they are, without wearing out). Doom got "fixed" so everyone can obtain arties, keep that as a PvP Switch area. The rest should be under Felucca's ruleset. I could live with Champspawns being PvP Switch areas too if ALL the rest was Fel.

I'd sacrifice my home(s) in Trammel and all their contents and my bank's contents if the facets were to be merged again, with that condition.

It has been impossible for me to re-live the excitement of the older days. As Kiss says the game worked on your mind and your feelings a lot more. No other game manages that and UO doesn't anymore.

*EDIT* If some of you think Felucca is simply a by-product or an abomination because of some persistent anti-socials I've got this to say, UO has failed as a PvM game or we'd have WoW's subscribers. Or at least Lineage's. Or even Everquest 2's.

No, it's definitely a good point in time for the Devs to place their money on what made UO unique instead of another PvM/Quest oriented game. That plan is going nowhere.
Moreover, ALL other successfull PvM games out there VALUE their PvP crowds no end. Especially WoW.
So I think it's best if the Devs try to bring that feeling back in Ultima ASAP.

[/ QUOTE ]

You guys realize that UO has been around for like 11 years right? And that the Fel/Tram split happened 2.5 years into that period? So for 8.5 of 11 years (almost 80% of it's life) UO has survived in the dual facet format we all know today.

It's a stretch to say that UO has failed as a PvE game because of one component (the pvp rule set changed almost a decade ago). These games are so complicated that to speak for the entire community and say "It's cause they split it into facets, that's why people stopped playing" is ridiculous. More people not less people had subscriptions after the introduction of Trammel.

There are a ton of other factors that contribute to the exodus from UO and the lack of incoming players to replace them.

1) The silly additions in content. ninjas? paladins? elves? Beetles with trunks? neon weapons? arms race type escalations in items? The game has departed tremendously from the original medieval/mystical "plot". Some players left because Ultima Online no longer resembled the Ultima games of the past.

2) Dated graphics. Sure there is a segment of the online population that can keep an open mind about graphics, but there's a growing group of players that are have grown up on far more sophisticated graphics.

3) Hacks and exploits. UO has always had a problem maintaining a stable economy. While they often deal with hacks and exploits eventually, a lot of damage gets done in the meantime.

And these are just a few examples off the top of my head. The point is that its silly to say that A) WoW does PvM better and B) UO doesnt have the same pvp system it had in its beginning and try to connect two very distant points and call it a case for merging facets to increase subscriptions.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

We will have :

1) tons of new players in ULTIMA ONLINE and tons of old players coming back

2) tons of new ppl to kill monsters with

3) tons of real fights btw ppl who enjoy pvp (between them!)

4) some random killings of pkers vs blues ofc

Do you want to play "a rotting cow game" (as they described it) or a game that has again a BIG player base?

[/ QUOTE ]

I love when people put forward opinions as though they were eternal truths passed down to them by God himself.

"Trust me dude, its a scientifically proven fact. The things I want to be true are always true."

There's no incentive for the average UO player to want to PVP. Games like WoW got around this by offering people the opportunity to PVP (even on non pvp servers) by establishing PVP instances that give incentives for people to play them in the form of decent but not (omgbbqwtfuber) rewards.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

Lol...
Siege is all Felucca ruleset and look how populated it is. Aka: 3rd least populated of all the UO servers. The majority don't want that playstyle so it won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever even logged into seige? There is NO INSURANCE your post has the least intelligence I have seen in a while you made a comment without knowing the facts.

So here are the facts for you:

Fact: Siege has no insurance and only 1 blessable item.

Fact: the changes we mentioned mean you would have exactly what you have now insurance AND blessed items UNLIKE SIEGE!

Fact: Siege has many changes to it that do not apply to ANY OTHER SHARD!

Fact: Above mentioned applies NO SIEGE LIKE CHANGES MADE TO EXISTING SHARDS!

Man do some homework next time you want to post or don't bother...

P.S. Never speak on behalf of "the majority of players"...

[/ QUOTE ]

sooo..... instead of demanding all uo players be forced to play your way by merging tram and fel for everyone, why not ask for changes specifically to siege perilous.

If it really is the third least populated realm EA might be more open to adding the changes you support on a more controlled experimental basis (one shard). If this is the golden fix you guys are talking about, existing UO players will flock to this new uber shard.

I'd really like to see an option for you guys. You're so positive that a Fel rule set with insurance would revolutionize UO game play. Why not ask for a single new shard instead of forcing people to play your way. It's certainly a more realistic request.

I really doubt that there's a million people out there thinking, "Man I would totally play UO if they only had the pvp I hear they had 10 years ago..." but hey I could totally be wrong.

I

imported_S!ckLoveR

"So for 8.5 of 11 years (almost 80% of it's life) UO has survived in the dual facet format we all know today."

- Survived... Just that. It can't get better walking the path it crawls on right now.

"It's a stretch to say that UO has failed as a PvE game..."

- Is that why noone's interested in it?.. And please let's not turn this into a data duel. You say we got more people after Tram? Fine, and then they moved to WoW or whatever as any game's PvE is far superior.. UO failed in that, sorry.

What you think contributed to UO's failure is just another opinion, don't sound so matter-of-fact when listing those reasons;

&gt; Silly content? No, just out of place. But then UO is totally chaotic.

&gt; Graphics? Everyone and their mothers screamed about this for ages, we got graphics, and now everyone screams how much it sucks. Even I do but at least I can send them some reports with helpfull suggestions instead of whining how it should be all scrapped. Just like it happened with the next reason which you say was ----&gt;

&gt; Hacks? EA tried to deal with it, and got whined at. Heh.
By the way, "...While they often deal with hacks and exploits eventually.." that's totally wrong.. :p
They don't, won't or can't deal with such stuff. Maybe ban a couple of dupers who later play again through Trial accounts, whatever.

My conclusion is that UO HAS failed as a PvM/Quest driven experience.
But I never said it was because of the split of Trammel/Felucca.
That split was why it has failed to be unique. I was saying that if we unite the facets and give it back its old feeling it might be able to deliver an experience not found in other games. Completely free interaction among players. Aren't online gaming communities about friends, interaction, socialization, the occasional PKing and revenge? That was UO's strongest point. I dunno why all of you only remember the bad things("Booo-hooo my miner got wiped twice in a row!").

G

I am not PvP, but I'd be more than willing to learn and better my tactics in a situation like this - simple unadulterated 1:1. Maybe then my old, frazzled brain would learn the tricks I need to survive more than 10 seconds in a Fel confrontation.

B

BamBamJohnson

<blockquote><hr>

"So for 8.5 of 11 years (almost 80% of it's life) UO has survived in the dual facet format we all know today."

- Survived... Just that. It can't get better walking the path it crawls on right now.

"It's a stretch to say that UO has failed as a PvE game..."

- Is that why noone's interested in it?.. And please let's not turn this into a data duel. You say we got more people after Tram? Fine, and then they moved to WoW or whatever as any game's PvE is far superior.. UO failed in that, sorry.

What you think contributed to UO's failure is just another opinion, don't sound so matter-of-fact when listing those reasons;

&gt; Silly content? No, just out of place. But then UO is totally chaotic.

&gt; Graphics? Everyone and their mothers screamed about this for ages, we got graphics, and now everyone screams how much it sucks. Even I do but at least I can send them some reports with helpfull suggestions instead of whining how it should be all scrapped. Just like it happened with the next reason which you say was ----&gt;

&gt; Hacks? EA tried to deal with it, and got whined at. Heh.
By the way, "...While they often deal with hacks and exploits eventually.." that's totally wrong.. :p
They don't, won't or can't deal with such stuff. Maybe ban a couple of dupers who later play again through Trial accounts, whatever.

My conclusion is that UO HAS failed as a PvM/Quest driven experience.
But I never said it was because of the split of Trammel/Felucca.
That split was why it has failed to be unique. I was saying that if we unite the facets and give it back its old feeling it might be able to deliver an experience not found in other games. Completely free interaction among players. Aren't online gaming communities about friends, interaction, socialization, the occasional PKing and revenge? That was UO's strongest point. I dunno why all of you only remember the bad things("Booo-hooo my miner got wiped twice in a row!").

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are arguing for arguments sake.

The points above arent necessarily even things I endorse. I'm not whining about UO's graphics, I'm saying that a lot of people pick graphics as a key selling point in playing a MMORPG. I'm not saying that UO shouldnt be chaotic, I'm saying that a lot of people played UO b/c it was ULTIMA online, and when that ceased, they left for that reason. And if even you admit that hacks and exploits are a problem, you cant deny that for some people hacks and exploits are probably the reason THEY quit.

I'm trying to point out that there are a ton of reasons besides a change in pvp rules 8.5 years ago that have caused people to leave for other games. You can retort to anything anyone says. That doesn't negate the fact that, for a lot of people, these ARE the reasons they quit.

What I take issue to is that you and the OP are making sweeping assumptions. You are claiming, without any compelling evidence, that UO is not successful with respect to other games because of one specific thing, the pvp rule set. The reality is that the changes you so strongly advocate may only appeal to a small number of players.

The truth is UO didnt stop being unique because of eliminating non-con pvp. A ton of other things made UO interesting, just off the top of my head I can think of housing, a ton of in game professions, unique point based skill systems as opposed to skill trees, and a crafting system that still goes above and beyond anything in games like world of warcraft.

You can demand that everyone have your play style and that EA changes the entire game for the interests of a minority of players interested in a particular flavor of pvp, or you can be realistic and lobby for changes to shards like Seige. Or maybe that the devs introduce changes to pvp that would make people interested in participating (e.g. instances like wow, or pvp specific rewards).

Alagos Galadrim

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd just like to see rewards for playing in Felucca rather than doing away with Trammel - like you can only get arties in Felucca or something along those lines. More risk - greater reward.

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'd just like to see rewards for playing in Felucca rather than doing away with Trammel - like you can only get arties in Felucca or something along those lines. More risk - greater reward.

[/ QUOTE ]Felucca-only rewards, hmm?
Like... Powerscrolls?

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I appreciate the idea, I'd have to say a big no.

PK'ing and dueling have always been two seperate forms of PvP. A good dueler, will not necessarily make a good PK, and vice versa. PK'ing is about applying field pvp knowledge, enviroment knowledge, being able to adapt to situations on the spot, and so forth. It's all about field awareness, these aren't things that can be taught to everyone, it's one of things, you either kind of have it, or you don't.

Dueling is about practicing the same situation, over and over. Working combo's out, perfecting timing, knowing your oppenents next two moves. You can train just about anyone to become a good dueler. The difference only comes at the very top, where things like reflexes are taken into account, as dueling is all about speed.

This leads me onto my next point, that one template, doesn't suit both. PK's in general are designed to have very aggressive and offensive templates, with little defense. A good dueling template, simply can't make the same kind of sacrafices.

And my final point is, one of the great things about UO, is that it is a world enviroment - with the exception of instancing in PvM. Adding instanced enviroments where players can PvP, is not a good thing - it would damage the game in the long run - based largely on the support PvP updates have had from the previous Development teams - or should I say, those above the Dev team. PvP is an ever changing enviroment - which does need a lot of Dev tinkering to keep balanced / spiced up. Love that it simply doesn't get.

The point regarding equipment, whilst I apprciate, I don't really believe is all that reasonable now. I have quit the game several times over AoS for a variety of reasons, giving away my suit and such. Coming back into the game(in the aos era), has never been easier.