• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PETITION TO MAKE ULTIMA ONLINE ALL FELUCCA RULES BASED

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How many players did UO lose because of the monster: TRAMMEL....

let's have all the community of unofficial servers back to the base , to the real shards. let's have UO back to its golden age. let's enjoy the old "pathos" and real feelings while playing this fantastic game.

Sign up the petition to have all the facets of ULTIMA ONLINE With felucchian rules!!! let the real ULTIMA ONLINE born again!!

Kiss of Death

UO PETITION VS TRAMMEL

G

This might have worked if you had the petition back in 2001... but it'll never work in your favor now. Most of the people who liked fel left the game after years of trammelization.

P

pallas

<blockquote><hr>

How many players did UO lose because of the monster: TRAMMEL....

[/ QUOTE ]

Seeing as they hit their peak numbers AFTER Trammel was brought around I think you just lost your argument.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want all Fel based rules go to sever list and click Siege Perilous.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
PVM will still exists for trammellers... but let UO be the game it was and the community to grow up again as it once was.

G

Just let it go. *shakes head* Let people play where they enjoy.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ultima online was a revolutionary game , there isn't still now a game like UO . They tried to make it a trammel based game , by copying other games. Doing this they lost 60% of the players. Cuz the 60% actually was not only doing some PvM but also enjoying PvP.

UO was a real land with real life rules. When you were going to the ORC FORT near Cove doing PvM , you could see 7 Players killing ONE Ettin... and after being there for 1 or 2 hours...3 or 4 Pkers were appearing and killing everybody.

But guess what? the blue players were keeping to go there to fight monsters , to win gold and the pkers were going there to kill them often.

The blue players could say " it was scary, it wasn't right" but at the end they loved the feeling of suspance that was around the Ultima online lands.

Facts. if you don't think so, you've never understood the REAL Ultima Online game.

UO can actually have a +100 % players by bringing BACK the old "scary and real life " atmosphere to the game. THIS REASON was why UO was SO damn COOL.

It's not ABOUT PvP, it's about real life feelings --&gt; "you don't know what 's happening in the near future."

UO won't be able to compete vs Graphic based game like WOW etc (how many players has WOW lol?) but UO is a matter of FEELINGS, and other games wouldn't be able to reach the level that UO can have at this.

Pker and Uo player since 1997

Kiss of Death

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I can certainly see why a pker would want Trammel removed. What about those of us who don't like that type of playstyle?

I

imported_GalenKnighthawke

I started writing a refutation of the premise behind this post, then stopped.

For those who insist upon believing this load of crap, their belief is not contingent upon evidence or reason, so why bother with either?

Instead I will answer with a simple: ROFL.

-Galen's player

G

Making all facet, on all shards, Felucca ruleset would a bad idea.
I'm not trying to stamp on PvP, here.
Currently, the Trammel ruleset facets restrict your ability to PvP freely, wherever you choose.
If you replace the Trammel rulset with a Felucca one, that would restrict the ability for players to enjoy a game without PvP.

Basically, you want sheep.

edit (NEEDS MORE ALL CAPS)

G

yes yes thats one can see how wonderous the felucca rule set is by just stepping over into felucca.. one can hardly move with out bumping into someone... oh then there is siege... like one has to wait in a que to log into that shard do to all the players that love the felucca ruleset......

go to siege

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I can certainly see why a pker would want Trammel removed. What about those of us who don't like that type of playstyle?

[/ QUOTE ]

man you'll have your beloved lands for killing monsters and earning loot over loot , with still insurance rules to save your possessions and beloved items (no problem)

MALAS, ILSHENAR, TOKUNO, still they will be there, all those lands, all for you to kill monsters and win possessions and nice items with your blue friends.

But getting rich has its own real risks, maybe one day you'll meet a couple of Reds that are scouting the lands for victims.

UO is a matter of FEELINGS , and NO GAMES can win at this.

One person working at the old UO DEV TEAM said that UO is " a rotting cow" (litteraly from the forum of where I have seen this post)... do you want to play a " rotting cow game" that will die sooner or later?

OR you want to have the game that UO was meant to be, and NO OTHER Games can win the MARKETING BATTLE vs UO on this side

UO IS ABOUT FEELINGS. Dev team will have to take this into consideration.

Not about uber graphic, incredible special effects, pure and old fashioned feelings.

IF they work on this side of the game , the population of ultima online will grow up in an incredible way again.

I

imported_trammelite

i tend to agree in terms of "no push-through through monsters" or power scrolls, resource, spawn + drop rate and such, but never in terms of unsolicited pvp.

wake up - only a minority today wants unsolicited pvp or beeing pk'd every now and then.

Shelleybean

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

man you'll have your beloved lands for killing monsters and earning loot over loot , with still insurance rules to save your possessions and beloved items (no problem)

[/ QUOTE ]

It's this attitude that starts arguments and will ensure that your thread gets locked. I could go to Felucca now and hunt and "still have my items and loot." After all, insurance exists in Felucca too. I don't like pvp and many others don't. It's the mindless killing that caused Trammel to open in the first place.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

It's this attitude that starts arguments and will ensure that your thread gets locked. I could go to Felucca now and hunt and "still have my items and loot." After all, insurance exists in Felucca too. I don't like pvp and many others don't. It's the mindless killing that caused Trammel to open in the first place.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you playing on Atlantic? which shard? some shards have still a good player base, like Atlantic.

But do this...check Drachenfells, Europa, Baja , Catskills, Lake Superior, Legends etc etc etc...

Where before the lands were full of players (felucchian days) now they are EMPTY, just monsters are having a cup of tea all together.

You do like to pvm , I accept that , but UO is a matter of feelings, uo needs more players, if they release uo and let it be the game that it was meant, the player base will grow up totally.

If they'd hire a VERY good expert in marketing, he would study the reasons
why the game had so many subscribers when it was "so poor" of contents...

by doing this...one fact will be clear, UO is good not for the Graphic (it was even old when it appeared in 1997), not for the PVM (not comparable to other games, if you wanna play man vs machine....UO is a good game??? lol...c'mon) ...but for the FEELINGS That the game could push into the players.

UO is FEELINGS, restore this and we'll have TONS of players more. TONS.

P.s. And you still can go kills ogre lords all the day.

I

imported_The_Dude_

Siege and mugen are not what hes looking for. If you played back then you would know. All those shards are is normal shards no insurance. Armor resists still matter. Its ajoke. There will never be times like where u could pvp naked or just snag some npc armor and go out to kill or hunt. The game was alot more exciting back then. Id like to see what the numbers would be like if uo released a shard with the old rules and no trammel.

Lord Kotan

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

If you want all Fel based rules go to sever list and click Siege Perilous.

[/ QUOTE ]

yep.

K

kennykilleduo

Great idea , as you can see will be killed by all the players who want change , but are not willing to take the chance of losing there precious little worthless items ..

Exactly why UO will not last..

G

I think what the most glaring difference between then and now and why this couldn't work and all you would do is drive out every pvmer playing is skill sets.

Back then the skill set difference was little to none between a char you developed for pvp and one you developed for pvm. Nowadays the difference is stunning and the best pvper on a pvm char couldn't beat someone with far less pvp skill on a barbed kitted out and geared max skilled pvp char.

I mean this subject isn't my wheel house per say but I just don't see this happening for that reason specifiably.

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

I guess that says it all.

Slim Pickin's for your fun &lt;&lt;&lt; overall survival of the game.

This was discovered back in 2000, and that logic hasn't changed, yet.

Good Luck with your Crusade, though.

G

Though this will never pass i would love to see it.But unfortunatly people like the idea of not being attacked by other players.Though i did like fell rules because of the fact that if a another player was bothering you just kill htem.Players showed more respect towards each other back then because a superior player would whip you out if you messed with them.All trammel is now is people-A. too scared to pvp or B.Griefers.Thasts also why i like fel rule set no griefers cause of the fact they started still ya kills just kill them problem solved.But those days are long gone i would suggest siege to play on i started there and love it.

G

The petition should had been.

Split UO up in PvP and non PvP servers.

There need to be room for both playstyles

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
We will have :

1) tons of new players in ULTIMA ONLINE and tons of old players coming back

2) tons of new ppl to kill monsters with

3) tons of real fights btw ppl who enjoy pvp (between them!)

4) some random killings of pkers vs blues ofc

Do you want to play "a rotting cow game" (as they described it) or a game that has again a BIG player base?

Surgeries

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Will not last...until...when, exactly, there, Nostradamus?

10 Years so far, with people JUST LIKE YOU, predicting the end, all along.

Yet...this morning...I LOGGED IN and played that game that was DOOMED to failure, as certain as the sun rises, based on the predictions of the doom and gllomers, back then, and all the way up, to right now...

So...give it to us...WHEN will this travesty of a game come to a Grinding Halt?

Whilst you ponder that...ponder this...

YOU will end. I will end. Those two predictions you can be 100% certain about.

This WORLD will end, someday. HUMANKIND shall someday cease to be. And, likely, someday UO will end. Just not today...or tomorrow

I won't predict when, precisely, because no one on this earth knows that, for certain.

But UO will likely be around, for a good long time. That is MY prediction. That WAS my prediction, back when Trammel came out...when Trammel was the Devil that would certainly RUIN the game, and cause it to END!!

Trammel was that which took the fun out of your thief, wasn't it, Malice123? Yep...it was.

YOU may be a wee bit biased, yes? Yes, indeed, you are. That doesn't make your prediction any more likely...it just shows your bias, and detracts credibility, from your prognosis, IMNSHO.

Yes, I predict that UO will be around for a LONG time, IMO, as long as they don't change all of the shards and/or lands, to a Fel based ruleset, that is.

G

If non-con PvP were the key to success, we'd have more than two abortive attempts at a pure non-con environment in the MMOG genre.

As it is there have been TWO post UO games that have been developed with non-con PvP in mind.

One of which claimed "Play to Crush" and instead crashed instead of crushed.

The other remains in an unending state of Vapourware.

Not exactly a glowing recommendation from the market on the viability of non-con PvP.

G

If ALL they did was make every facet felucca ruleset hell yeah I am down but then again I remember when all there was was felucca and NO INSURANCE.

Seriously felucca is no more of a risk than trammel is when we have insurance the only difference is that you may run into someone thats tougher than you and wants anything they can take off of your corpse.

I have always felt that making the game all fel rules with insurance would bring back some of the risk and make the game a whole lot better but it just doesn't sound like a feasible change because of the number of people glued to tram...

I think making new haven a safe place to raise skill would be a good idea too was a bit rough as a newb not being able to build skills easily when you are constantly getting killed by a red lol.

Maybe they could put something in like you cannot attack a player under so many total skill points to help combat that also.

<blockquote><hr>

Siege and mugen are not what hes looking for. If you played back then you would know. All those shards are is normal shards no insurance. Armor resists still matter. Its ajoke. There will never be times like where u could pvp naked or just snag some npc armor and go out to kill or hunt. The game was alot more exciting back then. Id like to see what the numbers would be like if uo released a shard with the old rules and no trammel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Also a fine idea even if they didn't or couldn't make an exact replica of what UO was 9 years ago if it was even close to what it was it would be an amazing shard to have on the serverlist.

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

If non-con PvP were the key to success, we'd have more than two abortive attempts at a pure non-con environment in the MMOG genre.

As it is there have been TWO post UO games that have been developed with non-con PvP in mind.

One of which claimed "Play to Crush" and instead crashed instead of crushed.

The other remains in an unending state of Vapourware.

Not exactly a glowing recommendation from the market on the viability of non-con PvP.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dermott you love to pvm and you try to make the new client KR better!!! ok I got that, beautiful for you. But a matter is to have 100.000 players that STILL LIKE to pvm in UO , something else would be to have 500.000+ players that would do pvm in the lands .

And the reason is why?

The PVM side of the game is not competitive comparing other online games. Uo can win the battle on the FEELINGS side:

1) when I go out of city , in the forests where monsters are, not just monsters can create me troubles, but also other men would be able to attack me, I 've to be vigilant... just like it would happen in real life. IF YOU TOUCH the feelings of the players , of the customers, ULTIMA will have TONS of players more.

2) when going to kill a DARK FATHER , do you 've some sort of feelings???? when killing a BARRACOON do you 've some feelings that may new ppl come to play UO???? ANSWER is NO, you don't . Cuz UO lost 360° on the PVM side vs all the other games. It's boring and repetitive to do pvm in UO. FACTS.

3) if a game can cause the raising of feelings :

scare, panic, anger, happiness...the game will win on the market. UO has not the potential of other graphic based (and so PVM BASED) games, but has the power of FEELINGS.

You're leaving comments not even answering this elemental facts. Would you like to have tons of players more in UO or not? or you wanna still kill a DARK FATHER for 5 years more?

Kiss Of Death

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

I have always felt that making the game all fel rules with insurance would bring back some of the risk and make the game a whole lot better but it just doesn't sound like a feasible change because of the number of people glued to tram...

[/ QUOTE ]

indeed!

But man consider...ok some of the GLUED to tram players will be scared, angry if the change will happen BUT UO will see a +100% of the population of subscribers! If they ,indeed ,bring some sort of risk (feelings) to uo, uo will be one of the BEST games on the market.

OTHER games will try to copy UO on this quality, FEELINGS are the thing that UO DEV TEAM has to focus on, they can't expect UO to compete on the graphic pvm side.... FEELINGS are the key to have much more cash coming into EA and much more fun for everybody.

G

KoD does make some valid points even if it may be hard for some of us to understand due to language barriers.

I think under the right circumstances the idea is great the only problem is that EA/M is never going to make a shard or change any existing shards to fit this description and if they did well we all have a very good understanding of how well this would go over seeing as every other change made ends up a major fiasco...

Dol'Gorath

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Lol...
Siege is all Felucca ruleset and look how populated it is. Aka: 3rd least populated of all the UO servers. The majority don't want that playstyle so it won't happen.

G

<blockquote><hr>

Lol...
Siege is all Felucca ruleset and look how populated it is. Aka: 3rd least populated of all the UO servers. The majority don't want that playstyle so it won't happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you ever even logged into seige? There is NO INSURANCE your post has the least intelligence I have seen in a while you made a comment without knowing the facts.

So here are the facts for you:

Fact: Siege has no insurance and only 1 blessable item.

Fact: the changes we mentioned mean you would have exactly what you have now insurance AND blessed items UNLIKE SIEGE!

Fact: Siege has many changes to it that do not apply to ANY OTHER SHARD!

Fact: Above mentioned applies NO SIEGE LIKE CHANGES MADE TO EXISTING SHARDS!

Man do some homework next time you want to post or don't bother...

P.S. Never speak on behalf of "the majority of players"...

G

What I am pointing out for this thread is two things.

1. You can already play a UO shard that is pure Felucca rules... Siege Perilous

2. Non-con PvP as a system doesn't work. They tried it in UO and people abused the system to no end. This has gone even further in the mindset of the MMOG market because the ONLY viable gamestyle to build is one that gives the CHOICE on whether or not to be involved in PvP. Games without that choice have FAILED. UO only succeeded at the time by being the only MMOG on the market. As soon as EQ was released, it eclipsed UO's sub numbers VERY quickly and UO's growth started trailing off (until UO:R). The marketing difference at the time between EQ and UO? A PvP switch. Now I'm not a big fan of a "switch" per se, but I DO like UO's system of area-based PvP settings.

Even the biggest MMOGs know that pure non-con settings don't tend to bring in the players (thus the $$$) which is why you have servers set to different rulesets and even within PvP based servers you have at least a modicum of protection for starting players (UO did not way back when, even in guard zones).

You bring up the emotional aspect, but really you can ONLY apply that to yourself. People play UO for all kinds of different reasons, and not JUST to scare, panic, or anger themselves. Some people have fun simply mining or crafting or just hanging out chatting, and really they see no reason to be pushed into an undesired situation just to fulfill their own desires gameplaywise.

Choice is good. Want a pure Fel ruleset... go play Siege.

G

<blockquote><hr>

What I am pointing out for this thread is two things.

1. You can already play a UO shard that is pure Felucca rules... Siege Perilous

2. Non-con PvP as a system doesn't work. They tried it in UO and people abused the system to no end. This has gone even further in the mindset of the MMOG market because the ONLY viable gamestyle to build is one that gives the CHOICE on whether or not to be involved in PvP. Games without that choice have FAILED. UO only succeeded at the time by being the only MMOG on the market. As soon as EQ was released, it eclipsed UO's sub numbers VERY quickly and UO's growth started trailing off (until UO:R). The marketing difference at the time between EQ and UO? A PvP switch. Now I'm not a big fan of a "switch" per se, but I DO like UO's system of area-based PvP settings.

Even the biggest MMOGs know that pure non-con settings don't tend to bring in the players (thus the $$$) which is why you have servers set to different rulesets and even within PvP based servers you have at least a modicum of protection for starting players (UO did not way back when, even in guard zones).

You bring up the emotional aspect, but really you can ONLY apply that to yourself. People play UO for all kinds of different reasons, and not JUST to scare, panic, or anger themselves. Some people have fun simply mining or crafting or just hanging out chatting, and really they see no reason to be pushed into an undesired situation just to fulfill their own desires gameplaywise.

Choice is good. Want a pure Fel ruleset... go play Siege.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup you can sit there and say "go play siege" but shouldn't I be able to sit here and say we only need one shard that is all trammel for everyone who doesn't enjoy my preferred style to play on?

Siege is not my idea of a good time the all fel rules are sweet but lets face it no insurance makes the whole damned thing lame. The whole problem "back in the day" was a lack of insurance. You couldn't use anything good because you WOULD lose it. Not MIGHT you WOULD. Biggest problem I see today is a lack of people even willing to go to felucca even though there is NO RISK. You cannot honestly call the ity bitty amount of insurance money you lose when you die a risk if you do please don't admit to it ever...

I guess I should also ask you what fun the game is without ANY risk because I know from experience that this game was MUCH more interesting and fun when there was more risk involved.

G

<blockquote><hr>

The petition should had been.

Split UO up in PvP and non PvP servers.

There need to be room for both playstyles

[/ QUOTE ]
We could sing it from the rooftops but it still doesn't get heard Freja. This would have been sooo much better in the long run for the game. Instead, we have these polarized clans that can't respect the other side of the fence. Most of the players understand and respect the boundries of other's play but there are still many, like the OP , that don't understand exactly why people don't want a felucca based UO.

G

Replying to last for convenience...

I play in the harshest enviroment EA has to offer. I prefer this for many reasons. Even I see that there is no going back to 100% non con PvP. I have yet to be convinced this would bring back any players much less some of the numbers bantered about here.

There is room for us all. If you like Fel, play there. Nothing is stopping you. Nothing. No playmates? Who do we blame for that? *shrugs*

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

Will not last...until...when, exactly, there, Nostradamus?

10 Years so far, with people JUST LIKE YOU, predicting the end, all along.

Yet...this morning...I LOGGED IN and played that game that was DOOMED to failure, as certain as the sun rises, based on the predictions of the doom and gllomers, back then, and all the way up, to right now...

So...give it to us...WHEN will this travesty of a game come to a Grinding Halt?

Whilst you ponder that...ponder this...

YOU will end. I will end. Those two predictions you can be 100% certain about.

This WORLD will end, someday. HUMANKIND shall someday cease to be. And, likely, someday UO will end. Just not today...or tomorrow

I won't predict when, precisely, because no one on this earth knows that, for certain.

But UO will likely be around, for a good long time. That is MY prediction. That WAS my prediction, back when Trammel came out...when Trammel was the Devil that would certainly RUIN the game, and cause it to END!!

Trammel was that which took the fun out of your thief, wasn't it, Malice123? Yep...it was.

YOU may be a wee bit biased, yes? Yes, indeed, you are. That doesn't make your prediction any more likely...it just shows your bias, and detracts credibility, from your prognosis, IMNSHO.

Yes, I predict that UO will be around for a LONG time, IMO, as long as they don't change all of the shards and/or lands, to a Fel based ruleset, that is.

[/ QUOTE ]

==================================================

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No it was AOS and Insurance continues to be that , why because nobody is willing to lose there overpowered , overpriced , that are now saturated all over UO. Dont tell me to go to Siege either : its a whole different game there..

My point is whenever a good idea comes , some players are so quick to bury it , if it involves change , UO needs change fast , it can't survive on 7-10 year old ideas and player who are not willing to lose something to gain something.

Small list:

<font color="red"> Thieves </font>
<font color="red"> Insurance </font>
<font color="red"> All fel rules </font> : Why not , CHANGE how PVP works ( only faction players can PVP ) , how will this effect Tramm???
<font color="red">Shard consolidation </font>

As far as how long UO will last , Ha your kidding yourself if UO in it's current status and form will last 1-2 years from now: Thing can change , but look at the last year , sure we got alot of fixes , pvp updates , new graphics , but all were half done , now we are into 2008 and I will bet you , most of this year will be used to fix , what should have been fixed yesterday , not tommorow.

MMO's coming out in next few months / years:

EA based:

WAR

(unamed bioware): Star Wars ( maybe) : Fixed my bad..

other companies:

WOW: Expansion
Starcraft
AOC
new star trek

Future/ possible release:

Fallout

Elder scrolls:

Sunswords company Heatwave : unnamed..

Edit: I believe in UO , its the countless excuses we keep getting fed to us , that amount to nothing getting done , and the players who are not willing to part with there 100 + million gold items for the overall better of the game , does anyone really need that much gold?

Fixed

G

<blockquote><hr>

(unamed bioware): Star Trek ( maybe)

[/ QUOTE ]Speculation is that it'll be under the Knights of the Old Republic license (Star Wars)

G

I am not a pvper at all but I have to say I miss the fear I experienced when I had to recall to my home or travel the roads. I did not like getting pk'ed nor stolen from but it definitely added a dimension to the game that is no longer there.

Nixon[I-C]

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

Seeing as they hit their peak numbers AFTER Trammel was brought around I think you just lost your argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but contrary to popular belief, the subscription increase was not as a direct result of Trammel.

K

kennykilleduo

<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

(unamed bioware): Star Trek ( maybe)

[/ QUOTE ]Speculation is that it'll be under the Knights of the Old Republic license (Star Wars)

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad fixed that...Thx

G

I have to agree UO WILL be around for LONG time it has already proven many many MANY wrong and withstood the ultimate test of time.

I also agree that all play styles need given equal respect and turning every shard into an all fel rule set is not the answer however there ARE many who would like to see more diverse shards on the list.

In all reality the shards at one time were only there so that you could find a connection you were ABLE to play on. In todays world people have much faster machines and much faster connections and I really believe that there should be more choices in shard TYPE how many identical North American shards do we really need? I can connect to any given one of them from my location and get the same quality connection. Ten years ago I was forced to play Lake Superior simply because it had the fastest connection lol.

Why can't we see more diversity among shards? Probably because of hardware costs coding and many other downsides that happen behind the scenes but I will tell you this if they ever started changing up shards to make more types UO would probably flourish simply because it really WOULD contain something for everyone.

M

Madis

ya know what, you may have some of it right, and other folks here have some of it right.

I remember being on both sides of the fence back in the day, a PK'er and one who was PK'ed. A few friends and I were talking about this last week, what we remembered was, I think, what you are calling that "feeling". There was a rush for me, on both sides of the fence. It was called, good and evil.

Things I think UO is missing/lost:

I think that whats actually missing is the sense of good and evil. My PK'er was run to ground many times after killing someone when he rezzed back in town and came back with friends to hunt me down....I always waited for them to come and most times...they did.

The ability to be competitive in PvP without spending millions of gold on items. The only time in all these years I've had any real amount of gold was when I happened by a house that had fallen, in a chest I found 5 one million gold checks, my bank acct hovers between 750,000 to one mil. I am NOT going to go farm gold, it aint fun.

85,000 different items, of varying colors, resists, strengths and buffs. This is ridiculous. A GM made katana, a decent set of armour and a buddy by your side and you were set to rock and roll. Ya gotta get rid of all the things that just simply don't belong in UO. I know, I know, what belongs and don't belong is a list that would be argued for an eternity.

Why would anyone, even good, strong players, want to go to Fell (and I grew up in Fell)? If I'm attacked and kill my attacker, I can't even take his stuff. Insurance, IMHO hurts, not helps. If they were to ever remove insurance (fat chance of that) they would have to remove sooo many other items and then give the ability to create good and very good items to the Smiths, Tinkers, Carpenters, etc.

The list can go on and on and on.

I guess, all in all, I dont want Tram to go away, I don't want the rulesets changed, cause to make any of it work.....well, the number of changes that would be needed is staggering. Too many enjoy it the way it is now and if you ever think that the powers that be are gonna change it...well, you must have a better crystal ball than I.

There is a way to do this though. Open one, just one more shard, take a poll and see what date in UO history you should stop the changes that were made, go in and correct all the things that were known problems up to that date and open it for biz. No transfers in, no gold coming in, no crazy ass rewards, tokens etc. Yeah I'm talking about a retro shard of some sort. Everyone starts anew, armor/weps are like it used to be, no weird colors, no outragious buffs, gold is hard to come by, players lose stuff when they die, good and evil can try for a come back. NPCs can do their jobs again and sell stuff that we will actually buy, you'll need to bring a friend along when you go hunting to make a few bucks cause there aint no purple eagle to slay with a near invincible dog that you ride to make easy gold.

I know, it's almost as impossible a dream as some of the other stuff I said. But if they build it, I will come, so will my friends. Everyone still has their existing accts, in Fell or Tram, no one feels the crunch of losing anything, the only people it affects are the ones that go to that shard. Now if we can only decide where the cut off date should be........