• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Pet Training A-Z

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
So you have found a pet that you would like to train up! Where do you begin? Ideally you should try and ensure that your new pet has high hit points and high strength (everything else can be fixed fairly cheaply). If you need to check out where your pet falls in the hit points and strength department I suggest using the Hunters Guide. Once you are satisfied with your current tame it is time to begin training.

Use the animal lore skill on your pet, you will notice a blue bubble at the bottom of the animal lore window. It should say, "Begin animal training". Click that button and you should see a red bar that reads "Pet Training Progress: 0%" appear.

You are now ready to train your pet up to the next level control slot. At this point you need to assess the strength of your pet. If your pet has decent resists and 250+ life my suggestion is to take your pet to the Crazed Mage spawn in Tram Shame Dunegon (picture). You should also have veterinary skills. The Crazed Mage does not do a lot of physical damage but can get very very bursty with his spell damage. Another positive is that he does not do any type of AoE. You should mark a rune to this area.

You will probably get your pet's experience bar to somewhere in the range of 50-60% after that point you will only see messages that say, "Your pet does not appear to train from that" when this happens you have one of two options. 1 - You need to kill the mage (probably have someone come and help you kill it) or 2 - You need to move to a new monster.

There are a number of options that you can choose to move to after your pet has stopped gaining on a Crazed Mage.
Just pick your next stop, go there and finish out the training bar. Once your pet's experience bar reaches 100% you will get a message that says, "The creature surges with battle experience and is ready to train" make sure you move somewhere safe. Once safe click the pet training button again. This will open up the training menu (picture). Next you should click the button that says, "plan" this will open up another window. At the top of the planning window click on the enable button. When you have the planning window enabled, I like to spread out the three open windows (Animal Lore, Training & Planning windows) so that I can see everything at once. After that you are ready to do your first level of training. Most people start with resists, you have a total of 365 points (this includes the numbers your pet already has). Some point spreads that are common are; 80, 80, 80, 45, 80 or 80, 80, 45, 80, 80 or 73, 73, 73, 73, 73. After resists you may want to give your pet some stat increases. Stats also have a total cap 2300 (including the stats that the pet already has). From there the rest of the training is up to your preference, the tamer forum can be exceptionally helpful in deciding pet specs. After you are done planning out your first training level you will have to disable the training menu and go back to the skills you want to add and add them, make sure to add just how many points you have planned out (and yes there should be an add all button ;) ).

Weaker pets I have found that its easiest to use the tanking method. Basically you get a 2 or 3 slot pet and have them attack the monster first, and as an added bonus I found out recently on the tamer forums is that if you use the tamer mastery "As One" the two pets will share the damage of the tank and the second pet will gain faster because it will be as if it is also tanking, you do need to watch the health of the weaker pet. So grab a decent HP/Resist pet and take your wimpy pet to any of the areas we have already discussed and you should have him to his first training level fairly quickly with very little danger of him dying. After they have reached their first training level and you even out their resists and life you should be able to train on pretty much anything.

A second option for weaker pets is to avoid the speed leveling and skip right to training skills, you will gain experience towards the next control slot level just at a much slower pace.

Which brings us to our A-Z training!

Anatomy- Anatomy, Tactics and Wrestling can all be trained up pretty much following the same method. If your pet started out with very low skill in any of these three (0-30 range) take your pet to the Sleeping Dragon Champion Spawn in Tokuno (picture). There you should have your pet kill all of the Deathwatch Beetle Hatchlings and Lizardmen until it gets to around the 50-60 range. A second option for lower level pets is Gregario the Brigand, pointed out by PlayerSkillFTW (Gregario can be found just outside of Skara Brae). Gregario is immune to damage unless you are on his quest making him similar to a low level shadow iron elemental. Next either have a miner farm up a Shadow Iron Elemental or goto Yomotsu Mines and fight one. Shadow Iron Elementals take no damage from pets and are a perfect way to train up, what is better is that as your pet levels up so does the elemental. This should get you to 100. From 100-120 just find any high level, high hit point monster for your pet to beat up.

Bushido- Trained by use, find a pet with a lot of HPs and let your pet attack it. Shadow Iron Elemental may work well for this.

Chivalry- A lot of the magical abilities can be trained up the same way. I recommend that you work on maxing out your magical abilities last, because they will have reached a decent level by the time your melee abilities are done. What training these skills comes down to is time and patience. There is a spot in shame that you can teleport across the water to a safe area, just lure up one corrupted blood elemental and let your pet cast to their hearts content (picture) when their mana has run dry, simply back up and let them regen, and repeat.
  • Another option for all magic skills as pointed out by Sturgismike is unguild your tamer, take 2 pets to tram, tell them to guard, then fight. They do no damage, but still cast and gain.
  • Another option for all magic skills is Gregario the Brigand, pointed out by PlayerSkillFTW. Gregario is immune to damage unless you are on his quest. Just block off your pet so you can avoid using mana on any melee skills it may have.
Detect Hidden- The only way to gain detect hidden is to be around hidden monsters, there are very few areas that have a lot of hidden monsters. This skill is a pain in the butt to train, areas to try are the orc cave and the trap door spider spawn.
  • From another thread, "You can train Detect Hidden before taming, by aggro'ing the pet you want to tame and invising yourself. You just have to have the patience to get the future tame from whatever they start at to 100..."
Discordance- To start off your Discord training take your pet to a busy cemetary, Moonglow works well. Have your pet stand outside of the fence and attack everything on the inside of the fence. Make sure you are far enough away from the gate that liches won't know how to get to you. When your Discord skill gets just above the range of the monsters inside the cemetary move your pet to the Jhelom Bull Pens, do the same thing. After Bulls, take your pet to the Sleeping Dragon Spawn (used in training Anatomy) and have it kill the spawn in the area. I honestly am not sure where to go after this point, this is all the specific information I could find on training the skill. It does seem that the skill raises based off of the relative discording skill of the monsters being attacked.
  • From a previous post about training discord, "Khaelor said, "Have your pet attack slimes in the underworld" (I've not tested this method, just compiling tips and tricks)
Eval Intelligence- There isn't an active way to train eval intelligence, this skill should follow your magery skill fairly closely.

Focus- Focus will raise very quickly on its own and is usually the first skill to be finished.

Healing- Healing, Parry and Resisting Spells I like to train all at the same place. So I wait for my Wrestling skill to reach 100 so that parry opens up and then I take my pet to Haven and round up as many Spectral Spellbinders as I can. Just tell the pet to kill one, and stop immediately or you will probably one shot them. This method can get healing up to around the low 50s to mid 60s fairly quickly. After that gather up some snakes (the little ones) and have them attack your pet while your pet stands there or have your pet stand behind a fence and cast poison constantly on it ( works well with a discord too, but not necessary ). After 80 go fight rotting corpses.
  • As Basara pointed out you can also go to Ilshenar spawns and work resist, healing and parry. "The best spawns for this purpose are Neira (undead) and Semidar (demon), as all the stages have spellcasters. However, the second stage of Neira (which has bone mages that cast blood oath) and the third stage of Semidar (which has lots of AoE burning gargoyles) can be a little rough on both the pet and the tamer, so try to be near the edge of the spawn when those levels hit, and work around the edges."
Hiding- As far as I know there is no way to actively train hiding.

Magery- As with Chivalry, I recommend that you work on maxing out your magical abilities last, because they will have reached a decent level by the time your melee abilities are done. There is a spot in shame that you can teleport across the water to a safe area, just lure up one corrupted blood elemental and let your pet cast to their hearts content (picture) when their mana has run dry, simply back up and let them regen, and repeat. ** I should note that if you have given your pet magery mastery, they will teleport to the other side and melee the elemental, so not a good idea in that case. **
  • **See other magic training tips under Chivalry**

Meditation- Meditation will raise very quickly on its own and is usually the first or second skill to be finished.

Mysticism- (picture) **See other magic training tips under Chivalry**

Necromancy- (picture) **See other magic training tips under Chivalry**

Ninjitsu- Trained by use, find a pet with a lot of HPs and let your pet attack it. Shadow Iron Elemental may work well for this.

Spirit Speak- This is just a guess so please someone correct me if I am wrong, but Spirit Speak should act like Eval Int and follow your necromancy pretty closely.

Spellweaving- (picture) **See other magic training tips under Chivalry**

Parry- As I have said I like to work parry with healing and resisting spells at haven. Same method, gather up a bunch of spectral spell weavers 8+ and have your pet sit in the middle of them. Spellweavers can get you from 0-120.
  • See Healing for Basara's tip
Poisoning- There is no way to actively work poisoning. It goes off during melee attacks, so just fighting things will raise your poisoning skill.

Resisting Spells- Spectral Spellweavers in Haven! Surprise =)
  • See Healing for Basara's tip
Tactics - See Anatomy *

Wrestling - See Anatomy *

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS:

- Can pets have more than one school of magic at the same time?
  • No they can not. Adding a new school of magic WILL remove the school that the pet already had.
- Should I do XYZ to my pre-patch whatever?
  • Not until you are 100% comfortable with the training process. I recommend going to test center and testing out whatever you are considering. Legacy pets will not spawn again, and it could wind up in a catastrophe if you make a training error. Character Copy Info.
- Are there new rare colored pets?
  • Yes there are.
- What creatures have a chance to spawn with less control slot requirements?
  • Nightmares 2
  • Najasaurus 2
  • Rune Beetles 3
  • Greater Dragons 4
  • Frost Dragon 4
  • White Wyrm 3
  • Reptalon 2
  • Dragon Turtle 4
  • Phoenix 3
  • Frost Mite 2
  • Dire Wolf 1
  • Skree 3
  • High Plains Boura 2
  • Lesser Hiryu 1
  • Dragonwolf 3
  • Blood Fox 1
- How should I train my pet? What skills should I use?
Links have been fixed!

- Could you suggest some Tamer templates?

TIPS AND TRICKS:

• The Discord Trick - A widely known trick to help stubborn skills and pets level their abilities faster. All you have to do is have a character with discord, discord your pet thereby lowering its skills. This will enable you to train your pet on lower class monsters even though your pet may already be above their level.
  • The Pet Vendor Trick - For those of us who like to tame and train a TON of pets. If you feed pets before putting them on the pet vendor you can take them out in a week and bond them. Just have to hope no one buys them before then ;)
  • Activating Skills - Pets with skills other than Magery, may have to have them activated during a control slot level up. For example Tsuki Wolves have Necromancy, but its not activated until a player selects it during training.

Last edited:

Vortaku

Visitor
I have to say this should be stickied, I have been looking for something like this for a while.

Suggestions for resist with something stronger then the spellbinders? My pet 1 shot them LOL

Last edited:

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
The trick for spellbinders on any pet is to either have your pet on a boat or make macros for all kill and all stop respectively and then quickly tell the pet to stop and follow you after attacking =)

Last edited:

Put Put

Visitor
I've trained a couple of 2=>5 slots lately on just crazy mages and vortexs.

Usually at 2 slot either mob can take it to 100%. At 3 slot I switch at 50% to another. And Ive noted it can be the same type just has to be a different spawn. At 4slot every 25% I am changing again.

The kirin I finished last night the last two blocks of 25% were both vortex's. I just lead the non gaining one away and moved up further to the next spawn and gains started again fine.

Karl

Visitor
This is a great essay.
One question though. I've been trying to figure out detect hidden for a while. Have you confirmed that gains are possible, first of all, and second, how do you get them? Do you tell your pet to attack trapdoor spiders, for example, or just bring it around where the spiders are hidden and wander?

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Detect Hidden: I have not tried it yet but there are plenty of hidden ninjas in Hiryu Forest. If you are not paying attention (like me) they will snuff you out. Could be a good way to train DH.

A question: if you train your pet to 100%, why not just finish existing skills before adding? In other words, you hit 100% on a cu, you take it out and train wresting to cap (100) as well as all the other skills it has. Then, add resists, DPS, et cetera.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
This is a great essay.
One question though. I've been trying to figure out detect hidden for a while. Have you confirmed that gains are possible, first of all, and second, how do you get them? Do you tell your pet to attack trapdoor spiders, for example, or just bring it around where the spiders are hidden and wander?
It is the most god awful skill to train up, I have gained maybe 4 points while actively trying to train this skill. And yes I just take pets to areas with hidden enemies and wander around.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
You only gain points from leveling up controller slots. So you could do like you've said and train skills before leveling up. But why not level up, have a more powerful pet who's less likely to die when training and can train off of more difficult monsters.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
updated post, does anyone have info on leveling bushido and nijitsu? is it just fight things or is there a way to specifically level them up? Also looking for any more tips or tricks to add in.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
after wrestle is GM'd Parry is auto added and will start raising on its own

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
If you want it to go to 120 however you will need to scroll it up.

There is another way to train up magic skills (chiv, magery, spellweaving, necro, myst)
Unguild your tamer, pull out 2 pets in tram, tell them to guard, then fight. They do no damage, but still cast and gain. This is how i trained my necromage dread spider by having it fight an ostard.

Chivalry- A lot of the magical abilities can be trained up the same way. I recommend that you work on maxing out your magical abilities last, because they will have reached a decent level by the time your melee abilities are done. What training these skills comes down to is time and patience. There is a spot in shame that you can teleport across the water to a safe area, just lure up one corrupted blood elemental and let your pet cast to their hearts content (picture) when their mana has run dry, simply back up and let them regen, and repeat.

vewglas

Visitor
Is there any way to make pet gain healing skill past 110 without discordance? Rotting corpses don't work after you hit 110. Dimetrosaurs seem to don't work either. Any suggestions?

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
my healing stopped on RCs too, until I grabbed a second one, seemed to work again. It is currently at 114, it is super slow though and am in the process of convincing my brother to move a discorder back to legends so I can finish up.

Mordha

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Last Sunday I worked my one cu that I put a 120 heal scroll on and her healing went from 102.9 to 114.6. I used the dimetrosaurs and discorded her. I realise that doesn't help much, given you're looking for a non disco solution. But maybe it will validate the issue with requiring disco to get gains.....

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Updated. Anything else i should add? Always looking for more tips and tricks if i missed any.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Another way to gain resist, healing and parry is to go to the lower levels of Ilshenar champ spawns (or Fel, if you feel brave to go there with a weak pet).

The best spawns for this purpose are Neira (undead) and Semidar (demon), as all the stages have spellcasters. However, the second stage of Neira (which has bone mages that cast blood oath) and the third stage of Semidar (which has lots of AoE burning gargoyles) can be a little rough on both the pet and the tamer, so try to be near the edge of the spawn when those levels hit, and work around the edges.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
For Wrest/Tactics, Gregorio works until about the 50s (70s if the pet is discorded). The Lvl 1 spawn (Myrmidex Drones/Larvae) at Dragon Turtle Champion work until about the 60s. Then you can find two Shadow Ore Eles within the Yomotsu Mines. They're immune to pet/spell damage (except Earthquakes, and Raging Breath/Searing Wounds), but are vulnerable to weapon damage. Use a -0 Mage Weapon to kill Shadow Ore Eles until you get one that's within 25.0 points of your pet's Wrest/Tactics skill, then train your pet on it. A Shadow Ore Ele can train up to GM Wrest/GM Tact while beating on pets (it can also spawn with close to GM Wrest/Tact), and can be used to train a pet up to 120 Wrest/120 Tact.

For Resisting Spells, Spectral Spellbinders. They cast nothing but debuff spells, which is exactly what triggers Resist gains. Get a bunch of them to attack your pet as your pet follows you. You can have your pet sit on a boat as the Spellbinders on shore spam spells on your pet. This quickly raises Resist to GM or even 120.

For Anatomy and Poisoning, Gregorio the Brigand is the best. He's a red NPC at a farmhouse near the Ranger Huts outside of Skara Brae. He's immune to damage (unless you're on a specific quest) and he does very little damage with his Pitchfork (and even less if you Disarm him). His Fencing/Wrest is in the 30s, so he's extremely easy to land hits on, which is what makes him great for Anat/Poisoning gains, along with his invulnerability.

For Parry, with a weaker pet you can let the Lizardmen at the Tokuno Champ surround your pet and attack it as you heal the pet. For a stronger pet, you can use the Lizardmen Squatters (they have 100+ DEX and GM+ Wrest) at Wrong dungeon. You'll need the Unlock spell to get into the eastern portion of Wrong, where most of the Squatters are. With 80 Physical Resist and Consume Damage (120 Taming/120 Lore) running on your pet, you shouldn't need to vet the pet as it has 9+ Squatters on it. With Whispering (120 Taming/120 Lore) running, you can get almost any pet to GM+ Parry within 10-15 mins with 8-9 Squatters on your pet.

For Detect Hidden, you can have your pet attack a guilded (or unguilded in Fel) Stealth Fencer (an otherwise extinct template) who has Shadow Strike ready. When the Stealth Fencer hits your pet with Shadow Strike, the Stealth Fencer will instantly hide right next to the pet, and the pet will try to Detect him. Have the Stealth Fencer pop back out of hiding after his Health/Mana has recovered with another Shadow Strike ready, then order your pet to attack him again. Rinse and repeat. It's best to have 45% HCI/45% DCI and high HPR on the Stealth Fencer during this. Edit: This has been changed since the Pet Revamp first hit TC. Pets no longer attempt to Detect players, even in Fel. So this tactic doesn't work any more.

For Magery/Eval/Necro/SS/Mysticism/Spellweaving, Gregorio works as well. You want to keep your pet at range from Gregorio, so your pet will cast spells more often, and not use Mana up on melee Specials. There's a few ways to keep the pet at range. One way is to surround your pet with bag balls so it can't move, and tell it to attack Gregorio. Another way is to stand in the doorway of the farm house, with your pet on one side and Gregorio on the other side, so you block them from reaching each other, but the pet can still cast on Gregorio. Discording your pet helps with skill gains here too. Beware though, the cats at the farmhouse are suicidal. They absolutely love to run into a pet that's casting AoE, which will lose you Karma.

For Chivalry/Bushido/Ninjitsu, once again, Gregorio. This time you want your pet to actually hit Gregorio in melee range. Discording your pet helps with skill gains as well.

For Healing, GREGORIO! (lol, not really). Rotting Corpses and especially Paragon Rotting Corpses can help gain healing with how frequently they inflict Lethal Poison (Lvl 5). This method becomes much more difficult (if not impossible) if your pet has Chivalry however. This is where discording your pet really helps. Healing damage normally stops gaining Healing at 90.0, but when the pet's Discorded, it can go all the way to 120.0. You want to get a couple Wind Eles in Shame on your pet as the pet is discorded, and it'll heal itself and gain all the way to 120.0. You may need to lend a hand and vet your pet up a little if it's health drops too low.

Last edited:

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I'm testing the Greg and Detect Hidden tips, I appreciate your help =) I will update the main post after I'm done testing (I didn't know about either method)

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm testing the Greg and Detect Hidden tips, I appreciate your help =) I will update the main post after I'm done testing (I didn't know about either method)
Yep, one Detect Hidden method that i had forgotten to test, was whether having a stealther in Fel move around a pet would trigger gains. I just tested that, and it looks like they've made it to where pets no longer attempt to reveal Stealthers, not even with Passive Detect. Pets used to attempt detection against players when the Pet Revamp was first on TC, but they don't any longer (probably because i made a big deal about running around with five 81.0 Detect Hidden Crows to piss off stealthers). So the Shadow Strike method for gaining Detecting Hidden doesn't work now :(.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Updated with new info!

@PlayerSkillFTW Yea seems that way during my tests too =( its a shame bc my ocd really wants to have 100 detect on my pets, thank you for the info about greg though. Its been added

@ Everyoneelse Still need some pets to be broken down and skilled out so I can link other pet threads (check the list in the main post of what has been done already). Any other topics you think the main post should cover please feel free to let me know and ill make adjustments as deemed necessary.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep, i've found Gregorio to be the best for training Anat/Poisoning and Magic skills on. He's extremely easy to land hits on, so that's great for Anat and Poisoning gains, and he does negligible damage and is invulnerable, so he's also great for Magery/Eval/Necro/SS/Mysticism/SW/Chiv/Bush/Ninjitsu gains, you can train on him all day with no dangers (other than suicidal kitties wrecking your karma). Hell, he's also the best for training a player's Lumberjacking skill on, lol.

Tanager

Sage
Stratics Veteran
This is a very nice write up - thank you.

A little something I would like to mention. If, for whatever reason, you want to train up a lowly pet like a ferret, squirrel, chicken, horse, etc - I do suggest training stats the old way first. Each stat will train to 125 (raising HP, stam, and mana along the way), which is that many less points you need to spend when it comes time for slot training. And on those pets, you only get one or two training sessions, so those points can matter.

Korgane

Visitor
Very good write up. I have a really noob question. I have a tamer at around 86 tamed. I have two alligators that I want to train and then train one to a level 4 control slot. I’m very new to animal training.
My gators don’t have high stats and lowish hit points. Will these go up the more they fight? Also where is a good place to train them at really low levels. Like where are there Ettins or earth elemental?
Lastly...what is a decent build for my tamer, torn between Margery or bard skills.

Thanks in advance!

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What scolls do you absolutely want to use for a PP nightmare and PP dread warhorse and PP white wyrm.

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
What scolls do you absolutely want to use for a PP nightmare and PP dread warhorse and PP white wyrm.
When you are talking about pets that currently do not spawn (Legacy/PP), you really want to either invest in all 120 scrolls, or leave enough points on the pet so that you can do full 120's at some point in the future (or if you sell it, the future owner can apply full 120s).

Ezekiel Zane

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok, so all 120s. What skills are most important? All of them?

Wresting / Anatomy / Tactics / Eval Int / Magery / Resist / Med / Focus

Parry too?

SouthPaw

Lore Master
Ok, so all 120s. What skills are most important? All of them?

Wresting / Anatomy / Tactics / Eval Int / Magery / Resist / Med / Focus

Parry too?
Most important skills are Wrestling and whatever magic your pet has (spell weaving, mystic, spirit speak, eval int, Chivalry)
Next of importance is resist, parry, healing, and tactics (tactics doesn't make a big difference and it costs a lot of training points, I unusually go for 105 or 110)
Last is med, focus, anatomy (the difference between 100 and 120 skill is low)

*With legacy or pre-patch pets, ALWAYS go with full 120 scrolls as these pets cannot be replaced.

Last edited:

Tabby Kapak

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Benefactor
Not sure if this has been mentioned elsewhere, but we figured this could be useful in the A to Z. When applying points to Strength, it can be rewarding to not be lazy to click the max option, but to manually go up to the points you want to add. If the max available is lowered due to high Dex/Int, we noticed a few times already that you lose 1 or 2 points this way. Let's take as example our Saurosaurus, his Dex was 125, his Int 426, so his Strength could go to 691. Maxing that by hand gave us 2 more points compared to the max button. Even when maxing, lowering 1, and clicking 1 up back to max the original points did not return. We had to "back" to the other menu first. Not sure if others have had the same experience?
And we are also not sure if the same applies to Hitpoints/Stamina/Mana, we haven't raised those as high yet.

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Last Sunday I worked my one cu that I put a 120 heal scroll on and her healing went from 102.9 to 114.6. I used the dimetrosaurs and discorded her. I realise that doesn't help much, given you're looking for a non disco solution. But maybe it will validate the issue with requiring disco to get gains.....

I training healing from 85-120 in about a day by standing next to the cu ...disco it and cast deadly poison on it. Used pet training masteries to focus training.... .
The old way was standing by the rotting corpses hoping they cast DP on your pet. I am pretty sure they will only gain with deadly poison cures.
Hope this helps.
My First Cu trained was very recently, and it took me about 4 days to bump her from untrained to 7 x 120 and fully trained. I can't wait ti find my next cu candidate!

CrazyCatLady

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Cave Trolls in Wrong also give excellent gains on pet training- esp wrestling as well as the named cook through the sparklies just inside the door.

Last edited:

Spellbound

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can one trade a partially leveled pet to another player without skill or training resetting? I have a 50% level 3 triton for another player and am not sure if will have the same 50% completed and stats/skills remaining the same.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Can one trade a partially leveled pet to another player without skill or training resetting? I have a 50% level 3 triton for another player and am not sure if will have the same 50% completed and stats/skills remaining the same.
The Training stays with the pet.

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Sadly I don't have time to update the links, but if anyone was able to hunt them down for me I would edit them in.

Kupalo

Visitor
Greetings,

I'm a returning player and excited with the new system. I've started my first advanced training for a cu sidhe. Could someone be kind enough to spot check the plan in the attachment and field my questions?

- Is this training plan currenty active or does the Pet Training Panning gump need to say "Disabled"?
- What happens since my Remaining Training points are -1719?
- Do I redo the training?
- Any suggestions on cleaning up this training program?

Thank you for not going All Out on this GM Newbie returning tamer

Kupalo

Attachments

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Greetings,

I'm a returning player and excited with the new system. I've started my first advanced training for a cu sidhe. Could someone be kind enough to spot check the plan in the attachment and field my questions?

- Is this training plan currenty active or does the Pet Training Panning gump need to say "Disabled"?
- What happens since my Remaining Training points are -1719?
- Do I redo the training?
- Any suggestions on cleaning up this training program?

Thank you for not going All Out on this GM Newbie returning tamer

Kupalo
The planner is horrible. Ask questions and use a guide.

Quickjohn

Adventurer
The planner is horrible. Ask questions and use a guide.

is the taming mastery worth it for skill gain? for your pet?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yes. But you need 120 real lore and taming to benefit.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
each level in taming mastery decreases the recast timer for whisper, which gives accelerated skill gain to your pet.
once you get a mastery 3, you can run consume, and that really helps keep your pet alive, so, yes. totally worth it.
if you can't get your hands on a mastery 3 for taming, there might be better ones out there, but i would aim to get one.

Hunter

Visitor
When I click on your links, it comes up as page not found. Looking for information on saurosaurus, and a couple of other things.
Oh yeah and is life leech a magic? If I add a magic like chivalry will I loose my abilities on the saurosaurus?

Mentiras

Lore Keeper
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
I haven't played since early 2018, so I'm sure most if not all the links are dead. If anyone wants to take the time to hunt down working links I will gladly update the post.