• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

PET DYES : aren't there MUCH better ways to spend programmers' time ?

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed to see precious game programmers' time being used into Pet dyes rather than other problems the game has which, to my opinion, are FAR more important than pet dyes ?

I mean, don't we have, for example, RAMPANT scripting, cheating, hacking, duping in the game which could use all programmers' time possible to stop them ?

We have players running into accidents every day and losing hard earned skill points for misusing Soulstones which could be avoided with more detailed warning messaging using up some of that programmers' time.

The examples could keep going.......

This pet dyes issue really disappoints me a whole lot as I believe there are far more important things in the game which need attention and programmers' time.

For the record, I am not in favour of pet dyes.
I find them hardly usefull and, actually, harmfull to tamers as up to know rarity coloring of pets was at least some little help in keeping the taming business going, sometimes.

Besides, I do not want to see pets of who knows how many colors pop up on my screen as I go about playing the game.

Pet dyes WILL make the game less enjoyable for me.

funkymonkey

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed to see precious game programmers' time being used into Pet dyes rather than other problems the game has which, to my opinion, are FAR more important than pet dyes ?

I mean, don't we have, for example, RAMPANT scripting, cheating, hacking, duping in the game which could use all programmers' time possible to stop them ?

We have players running into accidents every day and losing hard earned skill points for misusing Soulstones which could be avoided with more detailed warning messaging using up some of that programmers' time.

This pet dyes issue really disappoints me a whole lot as I believe there are far more important things in the game which need attention and programmers' time.

I find them hardly usefull and, actually, harmfull to tamers as up to know rarity coloring of pets was at least some little help in keeping the taming business going, sometimes.

Besides, I do not want to see pets of who knows how many colors pop up on my screen as I go about playing the game.

I like these dyes v cool idea, suxs thst you don't like it, then again you don't like anything inuo , just quit the game !

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
Eh sorry. Pet dyes and I'm prolly Outta Here!!!!!!!!!! Although sometimes things they do grow on you. Its too cheap to me to go to that level of toonish. Pick three colors and only have them usable on Horses and Dragons fine. Call em War Paint.

I think it looks tacky. That is just my point of View. I can see the appeal for other players to have it. I did dye my swampy armor too after all.

Goodmann

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Popps you make the game less enjoyable for me. CRY CRY CRY. Hurry someone call a whambulance popps doesn't like something.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You make a mistake in believing all programers are equal and each doesn't have their own area of responsibility and speciality.
Do we really need a second thread on this subject?

W

wee papa smurf

Am I the only one who is extremely disappointed to see precious game programmers' time being used into Pet dyes rather than other problems the game has which, to my opinion, are FAR more important than pet dyes ?.
Yes

Harlequin

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ibtl!

Ok, just to add my 2 cts.

The coding for dying pets already exists. It's called "Air Fresheners" in test centre.

Since it's already there, someone thought it would be kinda cool to do that for prodo shards. Adding a feature with minimal effort.

There's likely some extra coding needed to create a quest script for the quest, but the critical part is already there. Also I remember a dev revealing that they overhauled the quest system a couple of years back to make it more modular and can easily add quests/content.

I suspect the pet dye part is being done by Sakara (from her profile so far, I notice that her job revolves more around introducing/enhancing content). Bug fixes (esp for the issues you are worried about) is likely not her job responsibility.

jack flash uk

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Well i must say Popps, i dont agree with alot of what you say, but you are 100% spot on imo on this one

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

I am absolutely convinced that logging in makes the game less enjoyable for you. Please find something else to do with your time besides being such a negative nancy. (UO obviously is not the place for Poops)

Thanks.

Oh and next time please leave your feedback IN THE SURVEY, and have a coke and a smile while you do that too.

K

Kiminality

You make a mistake...
Surely not!
I don't know where Popps comes from, but I'm assuming the national sport involves grabbing the wrong end of a stick really firmly, and yelling the same thing, over and over again.
Because I've never known a person with such a natural talent at it.

Firstly, as Petra says, not all developers are equal. Like any office, they all have different roles and specialities. Some are artists, some deal with networking and communication, some deal with different parts of the code.

Secondly, something like pet dyes wouldn't actually be a gargantuan undertaking. The timer would be a little tricky, but a 7-day duration isn't something they haven't done before.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I suspect the pet dye part is being done by Sakara (from her profile so far, I notice that her job revolves more around introducing/enhancing content). Bug fixes (esp for the issues you are worried about) is likely not her job responsibility.

Fair enough, point noted.

But then I wonder, whose area of responsibility would be, for example, getting something done which a lot of players have been begging for YEARS ?

Things like :

- Seeds' cases

- Treasure Maps Binders

- Jewellery Cases

- Fishing Nets' chests

Unless I recall wrong, I seem to remember that within the Stygian Abyss expansion there was a programmer who has worked on bettering seeds' stackability.

Couldn't this work have been expanded into those containers which players have been waiting to see in the game for years and which could truly enhance the game for them ?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

But then I wonder, whose area of responsibility would be, for example, getting something done which a lot of players have been begging for YEARS ?

Things like :

- Seeds' cases

- Treasure Maps Binders

- Jewellery Cases

- Fishing Nets' chests

Unless I recall wrong, I seem to remember that within the Stygian Abyss expansion there was a programmer who has worked on bettering seeds' stackability.

Couldn't this work have been expanded into those containers which players have been waiting to see in the game for years and which could truly enhance the game for them ?
Did you ever stop to think that if someone is working on something like this that should be a win/win for everyone and not cause any complaining whatsoever, they're actually saving it up as an anniversary or holiday gift? If yes, of course they aren't going to talk about it and spoil the surprise!

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Did you ever stop to think that if someone is working on something like this that should be a win/win for everyone and not cause any complaining whatsoever, they're actually saving it up as an anniversary or holiday gift? If yes, of course they aren't going to talk about it and spoil the surprise!

I don't know, because anniversary or holiday gifts as well as veteran rewards bring no love to crafters.

Those storage containers, instead, could become a hell of a great new item for crafters like years back (and still are) have been rune and BOD books......

It would not please me to see those containers be given out as anniversary or holiday gifts or as veteran rewards because this would mean yet another lost chance for crafters.

I'd rather MUCH prefer to see them coming to the game as craftables since they could affect various crafting categories and, therefore, spread love across the crafting board.

Not to mention that anniversary or holiday gifts as well as veteran rewards come in a limited amount, obviously.

Yet, as BOD and Rune books have taught, sometimes players need very many of these and only crafting can therefore supply them in the quantities needed.

I can think of my BOD or Rune books and I can see how I could have never ever been able to get a fraction of what I am using should they have been released not as craftables but as anniversary or holiday gifts or as veteran rewards.

Maximus Neximus

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
11th anniversary gifts!?!? Oh wait.....

Couldn't resist :p

S

Sweeney

Popps.. you need to take a vacation and quit complaining about everything. When you first started UO, did you complain about every change or expansion?

Give it a rest already.

S

Sweeney

Oh, it's funny how every one of your posts has the "thumbs-down" icon.

G

Gladius

Things like :

- Seeds' cases

- Treasure Maps Binders

- Jewellery Cases

- Fishing Nets' chests

Well it has dawned on me for quite sometime now that they just don't care.

They muse themselves to see grown adults and mature players of the game indulge themselves in a Disneyland environment in order to hide the failures in answering the more essential things in the game.

So sad really, pretty soon we will be having manicured neon fingers and toes am sure :D

-G-

N

NewThunder

Everything disapoints you; I was against the dyes till I read your post. Now I am in favor of them! Your arguments lack all credibility because you cry so much about trivial little things and never have anything positive to say about the hard work being done by the Devs. I can not think of a single thread you have started that helps build the UO community!

S

siyeng0

Popps, I spent a long time considering my response to this post, taking into account all the other posts that you have made in the past. I had a long, wordy reply all typed up and everything. But, you know what?

You'll never be happy.

Uninstall UO, turn off your computer, and go play Solitaire or something. If you've got a problem with the rules, write to the editor of your local newspaper. If the problem persists, put your underwear on your head, go outside, find a crowded street, stand on the corner, and shout at passersby for a few hours. It's exactly the same principle as what you're doing here, and it staves off Vitamin D deficiency.

You're a special case, and that's all that I can recommend for you.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Everything disapoints you; I was against the dyes till I read your post. Now I am in favor of them! Your arguments lack all credibility because you cry so much about trivial little things and never have anything positive to say about the hard work being done by the Devs. I can not think of a single thread you have started that helps build the UO community!

You know, if I had seen instead of Pet Dyes we had been given, finally, seed jars, jewellery cases, Treasure Maps binders, fishing nets chests I would have been the first in line to praise the developers and programmers work.

The same would have been if we had been announced that the new client had a "stop it all" for cheats, hacks, scripts, dupes. I would have been first in line to say hurray and congratulate with their hard work.

What I am just trying to say, is that perhaps I see priorities in the game which differ from stuff like pet dyes.........

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You'll never be happy.

Well, I actually consider myself as someone with a good share of happiness in one's own life.

That I complain ?

Well, ain't complaints at the basis of improvement ?

Saying that anything is always fine and dandy, as I see it, hardly leaves room for improvements.

Besides, what is wrong about saying that something could be made better ?

Sometimes I see in movies all most terrible things happening like the sky is falling, earthquakes, whatever and then actors come and say all is good, everything is perfect, nothing goes wrong.

Excuse me ?

If something is malfunctioning or if there is room to make it better why on earth should one not say it ?

Why does it really bother so much to hear anyone complaining ?

Sometimes, actually, extreme criticism can even be vital when it regards safety issues on which people's life may depend on.

All I am trying to say, is that I do not view criticism so much negatively as others.
I actually see criticism as a positive thing which can promote improvement.

Criticism is one of the pillars of democracy and it is thanking to dissenting voices that can democracy endure.........

That's at least my view on it.

S

siyeng0

KFDSOFKOE FJR
SO THIS IS WHAT MADNESS TASTES LIKE
AHAHAHAHAhjdchfiojofwepokpdk;ljio

Seriously, man, every time I see a post by you I die a little inside. My soul looks like a sultana because of you. A POISONED SULTANA.

Alezi

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

"We have idiots running into accidents every day when they cannot be arsed to read and lose hard earned skill points from misusing Soulstones which could be avoided with more thinking from the players' part."

N

NewThunder

You know, if I had seen instead of Pet Dyes we had been given, finally, seed jars, jewellery cases, Treasure Maps binders, fishing nets chests I would have been the first in line to praise the developers and programmers work.

The same would have been if we had been announced that the new client had a "stop it all" for cheats, hacks, scripts, dupes. I would have been first in line to say hurray and congratulate with their hard work.

What I am just trying to say, is that perhaps I see priorities in the game which differ from stuff like pet dyes.........
Popps I am going to let you in on a little secret, but please don't tell anyone else. This game is not about the items the programers give us, like seed jars or jewelery boxes, those are trivial extra things; This game is about the PLAYER COMMUNITY. If you spent half the time you spend complaining on building a RP community on your shard your gaming experience would be dramatically better. Nothing the Devs do effects your crafters ablility to truely roleplay, since Roleplaying does not require items only imagination. The cheating and hacking on effect you if you let it, it does not prevent you from playing and especially does not effect you from role playing. Perhaps if you spent the time you spend complaining building a guild, you gain friends and go to the champ spawns. Your gaming experience is in YOUR hands, not the Devs.

M

Mitzlplik_SP

Ahhh funny.

Some peaple pancake when nothing new is added for a long time,than when they go and add a buncha neat stuff.......some peaple still find it in themselves to pancake about it. Grow up man.

I for one am happy with any new additions to the game,even if some of them I don`t want or care about.

S

siyeng0

Popps I am going to let you in on a little secret, but please don't tell anyone else. This game is not about the items the programers give us, like seed jars or jewelery boxes, those are trivial extra things; This game is about the PLAYER COMMUNITY. If you spent half the time you spend complaining on building a RP community on your shard your gaming experience would be dramatically better. Nothing the Devs do effects your crafters ablility to truely roleplay, since Roleplaying does not require items only imagination. The cheating and hacking on effect you if you let it, it does not prevent you from playing and especially does not effect you from role playing. Perhaps if you spent the time you spend complaining building a guild, you gain friends and go to the champ spawns. Your gaming experience is in YOUR hands, not the Devs.
No, no, please don't encourage him to roleplay.

If a character named P'opps Darkslayer turns up on my shard and starts squawking in Olde Britannian about "HAIL, YE VERILY. THOU ART CAMPING MY SPAWN AND I MUST BID THOU DESIST OR I WILL VERILY PAGE YE GM AND THOU WILT FOUNDER.", I will lay the blame squarely on you.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Why would they need to add seed jars when they made it possible to stack seeds?

Two arguments perhaps ?

One
Stacking seeds can be done with same color seeds. Seed jars could possibly accomodate different seeds of different colors in one same jar.

Two
Stacking is of no good help for crafters, seed jars could be made a craftable which therefore brings business to crafters. After so many years that rune books and BOD books have been released they are still being crafted and sold.

Nonetheless, I recognize that helping seeds stack is at least some help. Not as good as seed jars could be, but it helps.

Only concern is, that once seeds' stacking has been done, this may make the possibility to ever see seed jars as more remote since it now is less needed.

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I share all the disgust about those pet dyes, you should keep one thing in mind:

Implementing dyes for pets probably can be done with very little effort. It is just a different hue of an existing object.
Fixing hacks, bugs, and other issues, or implementing more complex features would require considerably much more effort though.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
While I share all the disgust about those pet dyes, you should keep one thing in mind:

Implementing dyes for pets probably can be done with very little effort. It is just a different hue of an existing object.
Fixing hacks, bugs, and other issues, or implementing more complex features would require considerably much more effort though.

Yes, I agree with that.

But if the limited programming time always gets into small projects like pets' dyes then there will hardly be a chance to get something more meaningfull done.

Besides, a more complex project can still be done in "installments".
Say that to make seeds' jars, Treasure maps binders, jewellery cases and fishing nets chests X programming time would be needed.

Making pet dyes and similar smaller projects only use 10% of that x time (just making guesses here for the sake of the discussion...).

Well, what if, instead of getting little projects done, that 10% of time available is used to work "towards" those things more meaningfull to players and the game overall ?

Doing that in 10 installments, little by little, would get them done, eventually.

Considering that several of those have been asked by players for several years, I would imagine that doing them a little at a time, in installments, as programming time became available, would have made them a reality by now in the game.......

So, you are correct, but my concern is that focusing on little projects because they use up less time may always push forward, endlessly, the changes which really players may want.......

T

TheGrayGhost

Things like :

- Seeds' cases

- Treasure Maps Binders

- Jewellery Cases

- Fishing Nets' chests

See this is what gets me, you complain about one thing and THEN flip and complain about the opposite. First you have a problem with the Devs for wasting time on minor fluff things such as pet dyes and NOW you're upset that they aren't working on fluff items you would like.

Wow man, just wow!

hawkeye_pike

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
See this is what gets me, you complain about one thing and THEN flip and complain about the opposite. First you have a problem with the Devs for wasting time on minor fluff things such as pet dyes and NOW you're upset that they aren't working on fluff items you would like.

Wow man, just wow!
I wouldn't call his suggestion fluff things. The items he mentioned acutally take of LOTS of space in houses. It would be quite handy for most of the players to store them in a different way. While pet dyes... well... they have no real use and mosty annoy other players.

D

Deb

Ummm, shouldn't this be in the SnR forum as most of Popps posts
are rants?

S

siyeng0

Ummm, shouldn't this be in the SnR forum as most of Popps posts
are rants?
THERE SHOULD BE AN UNDERPANTS-ON-HEAD BAWLING-OUT-RANDOM-BYSTANDERS ANGRY-UNPLEASABLE-OLD-MAN FORUM

POPULATION: ONE

*hyperventilates* i think i'm having an attack of the vapours

T

TheGrayGhost

I wouldn't call his suggestion fluff things. The items he mentioned acutally take of LOTS of space in houses. It would be quite handy for most of the players to store them in a different way. While pet dyes... well... they have no real use and mosty annoy other players.
There more along the lines of Pet Dyes than they are Scripting, Speed hacks, etc. which was his original complaint. As far as them not really being fluff items....... meh, Seed Jars are considering seeds are stackable now. Jewlry Cases are deffinetly fluff. You can already stick jewlry into a box. Fishing nets chest......... you can use a regular chest for oO. Treasure map binders....... it depends on what he's talking about. Like the scroll binders? Or more like BOD books. If it's to turn lower level maps into higher level maps I can see that somewhat, but even that isn't overly needed considering higher level maps aren't exactly hard to come by. As for the BOD book version, limited appeal there as well.

So the only at least semi non fluff would be T-Map binders and Seed Jars. They gave seeds the abillity to stack making the seed jars more of a fluff thing rather than a practical thing.

Which leaves T-Map binders being the only thing I would remotely consider not fluff and even thats by a very small margin.

But when you can tell me how any of these stack up to Speedhacking, Cheating, Scripting etc. which was popps's original complaint then get back to me. 1 (Is anyone else upset at the devs for making pet dyes instead of fixing major issues such as speedhacks etc?) + 2 ( Why couldn't they do Seed Jars and Jewlry chests instead?) = does not compute lol.

D

Deb

THERE SHOULD BE AN UNDERPANTS-ON-HEAD BAWLING-OUT-RANDOM-BYSTANDERS ANGRY-UNPLEASABLE-OLD-MAN FORUM

POPULATION: ONE

*hyperventilates* i think i'm having an attack of the vapours
OMG now I have to clean coffee off my monitor ty for the awesome laugh.

Heimi

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, because anniversary or holiday gifts as well as veteran rewards bring no love to crafters.
Yeah, Commodity Deed Boxes only help the PVPERS BECOME MORE RICH FROM POWERSCROLLS!

E

Eyes of Origin

I agree with the quit uo comment :( You've irked me since you started posting about anything dealing with SA or UO at all. You complain about everything!!!!! Maybe it's time for you to quit. Its obviously nothing anyone does will make you happy. And quit opening new threads when theres already threads dedicated to the topics you are complaining about.

Alvinho

Great Lakes Forever!
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Maybe he is RPing on these boards, after all all the rl people called POPPS, that I know are real sticklers, and crochety old men to boot!

I and still teetering on the pet dye idea, however I understand and feel POPPS Frustrations about things being added to the game with the seemeingly lack of desire to take care of small things. The real stickler in my side right now is teh heartwood scriptors. Since the rrate of runic drops have been increased it seems all the automated players have came in droves to Heartwood.

I am secretly hopeing that it has been a well planed implemention of a way to single out the ones who choose to use a helping hand in order to obtain high end runics, after all if someone uses a helping hand for tasks such as quests, what is to stop them at that point from moveing on to the harder stuff like oh i dont know lets say maybe automaticly cureing yourself when poisoned, or automatically putting on a bandaid, drinking a healing potion and casting a healing spell.

Tho arst' infringing on my chances of obtaining ye olde runic, tho shall burn in the volcano that spewed those winged creatures who think they are higher than tho as they hover above the land with their fancy pansey wings as if tehy are some sort of gods. **** ill be back later my meds still need to be taken

Please do not pay much attention to the above rambleing thoughts, as Ineed to take my medicine so all the voices yelling in my head slowly fade out until there is only there is only one voice yelling in my head.
Come on baby, today daddy wants the voice in his head to talk dirty to him.

T

thelust6

I think people need to keep in mind that a fair amount of players over the years have actually asked for a way to change the color of there pets and that also not all players read and comment on stratics that play UO; I like the idea of being able to make my pets look a bit more unique with something simple as there color tone, the survey posted on UHall in regards to this lets you, the player have your say and cast in your vote over which colors will be implemented, as these are set as a FREE reward in the abyss I can't complain - it's possibly a new feature, that to me is interesting and something I will make use of; oh and also - how much would neon pokadot pet colors look eh? :p

W

Wilde1

I can't see myself going to the effort of obtaining pet dyes that last a week (unless i vendor them), but I don't have a problem if other players like them. There's a lot of new content in this xpac, pet dyes are just another little goody packed in the mix.

With all the neon running rampant through the game, the pet dyes are ok by me. A lot of pvmers will like them i think.

thumbs up, even tho I probably wont use them.

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jewlry Cases are deffinetly fluff. You can already stick jewlry into a box. Fishing nets chest......... you can use a regular chest for oO. Treasure map binders....... it depends on what he's talking about. Like the scroll binders? Or more like BOD books.

Well, sorry for not being more specific but I imagined it was consequential since I mentioned rune books and BOD books.

I was referring to the need of containers which make "many" of those items count as only 1. That is, not simple containers to hold them, but "special" containers which may make hundreds of jewels, treasure Maps, fishing nets only count as 1 item......

Snakeman

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I want to be able to sit on the edge of a bed, I want to be able to sit on pillows on the floor & cross my legs... I want........... :stir::rant2:

Now them would be constructive & fun. :D

Hildebrand

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Seed Jars are considering seeds are stackable now. Jewlry Cases are deffinetly fluff. You can already stick jewlry into a box. Fishing nets chest......... you can use a regular chest for oO. Treasure map binders....... it depends on what he's talking about. Like the scroll binders? Or more like BOD books.
I think he means a Seed Jar that functions like a BOD book?. Jewlery Box that maybe reduces the quantity so that instead of 125 rings, it can hold more and maybe function like a BOD book. Fishing nets maybe he wants to be able to stack in a special kind of box (this one I'm not sure, I don't have these). I'm assuming Treasure map binders to be able to sort and keep like a BOB book (I'd like this too, since I try to loot these and then I run out of room).

O

Old Man of UO

Nonetheless, I recognize that helping seeds stack is at least some help. Not as good as seed jars could be, but it helps.

Only concern is, that once seeds' stacking has been done, this may make the possibility to ever see seed jars as more remote since it now is less needed.
I'll sum it up for you:
"In conclusion, unless it's my ideas and all of my ideas that is all the Developers work on, it is a waste of time."

popps

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll sum it up for you:
"In conclusion, unless it's my ideas and all of my ideas that is all the Developers work on, it is a waste of time."

Certainly not. Anything for the better sake of the game and that improves it is not a waste of time.

Buy, as a player, should I "at least" have a right to comment that perhaps making pet dyes was not exactly my idea of how to best use programming time for something needed in the game ?

Besides, those are not my ideas at all. They surfaced on the Forums since years back.

I merely brought them up as an example of something else that had been asked from players for long which I thought could have been a better use of time rather than pet dyes.

Sure, stacking seeds help but it cannot help stacking together seeds of different colors nor it helps crafters as seed "jars" may have done.

Seeds stacking is surely a positive addition and a VERY welcomed one, just not "as good" as seed "jars" would have been, IMHO.
Especially, considering that now that seeds can stack the need for seed "jars" has become considerably a lower priority thus pushing forward the time that they ever may come.

Forums can be of help, I think. Take rune books, just to make an example.

If someone else was around back then, they might remember how rune nooks came up from discussing to find a way to handle runes which were becoming really a nuisance.

I cannot remember if it was someone on UO.COM Forums or on Stratics Forums but I remember that it was openly discussing runes and their problems which helped rune books seeing the light.

I have always been of the idea that brainstorming sessions can help and forums can be a great place for brainstorming, can't they ?