• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

pet discordance

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Discord your own pet. Then have it fight something at range that it cant discord easily. (dinos in eodon for example)
Or you can do it at slimes in underworld.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
THey have a chance to gain on fails, and every success, so acid slugs/slimes are goid, and use whisper during pet power hour.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
My best experience training pet disco is taking the pet to Ilshenar champ spawns, and fighting the low-end spawn. They'll mana dump with disco, then you can just pull back let it get some mana back, and repeat.

Then, if you can, disco the pet at higher levels and do the same.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
THey have a chance to gain on fails, and every success, so acid slugs/slimes are goid, and use whisper during pet power hour.
Power hour increases training percentage gains. Whisper increases skill gains.
Once a pet is 5 slot, power hour does nothing but words on your screen

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I've done some tests through my countless hours of training pets.

If you discord the same monster that is already discorded, you wont get gains (or at least very abyssmal).
So only on "failed" and succesful fresh discord attempts will you have a good chance to gain.

The testing was done on a 12h period on a highlevel mob that was discorded already (no gains).
Compared to one that wasnt but too high skill for my discorded pet to succeed against.

Now I'll be doing some testing to compare underworld vs fighting the same monster. But my gut-feeling (non-scientifically based) is that underworld is slower cause it'll be switching targets and sometimes far-away slimes are already discorded and it won't gain vs them. So you're losing discord attempts to useless skillgain attempts.

jojo_la

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
just dump the pet in the middle of the slimes?

Edit: answered my own question. Wish i had asked this before. would have done discordance, trained it up then added armor ignore or pierce. cu keeps dumping on AI instead of disco'ing :/

Last edited:

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
just dump the pet in the middle of the slimes?

Edit: answered my own question. Wish i had asked this before. would have done discordance, trained it up then added armor ignore or pierce. cu keeps dumping on AI instead of disco'ing :/
And that's why the other method is better, fight something at range so your pet isnt meleeing.

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I suggest slimes and slugs because your pet can kill them fairly quickly, they are aggresive and will target your pet, and they have a fast respawn.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I suggest slimes and slugs because your pet can kill them fairly quickly, they are aggresive and will target your pet, and they have a fast respawn.
Also why I suggested the Ilshenar champ spawns. The spawn rate is noticeably greater than Fel, the first round or two die quickly and are replaced, and in addition there's actually the chance of getting stuff for your effort (pinks and minor arties to trash for cleanup points). Plus, it's more actively playing, so you stave off boredom longer and don't have people whining about you hogging the slimes/slugs. Depending on which champ, you might even get resist spells gains and the like, and maybe even solo the boss if your pet is good enough.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On the spawn note. Many on LS use the turtle spawn for training pets.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dragon turtle habitat in Eodon on a crystal. Dragon turtle spawn.

Cork

Sage
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I always hold off on adding armor ignore on a Cu until it's finished training up whatever magic I put on it. That way it only has the magic it's using. But that requires you to finish training your pet before you use it for hunting.

Last edited:

sini00

Visitor
I always hold of on adding armor ignore on a Cu until it's finished training up whatever magic I put on it. That way it only has the magic it's using. But that requires you to finish training your pet before you use it for hunting.
Oh I thought someone said you have to add Armor ignore first because if you add magic first, you can't add armor ignore any more? AI then Chiv, not chiv then armor ignore, people say.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Oh I thought someone said you have to add Armor ignore first because if you add magic first, you can't add armor ignore any more? AI then Chiv, not chiv then armor ignore, people say.
They changed Cus a while back. Now you can add the magic first.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
You can add magic first, but then you only get one more selection.
So if you just wanna do disco + AI then you add disco first then AI.

But if you want to do disco + cb + ai, then yeah you got to do AI+CB then discord to avoid having them lockout selections.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You can add magic first, but then you only get one more selection.
So if you just wanna do disco + AI then you add disco first then AI.

But if you want to do disco + cb + ai, then yeah you got to do AI+CB then discord to avoid having them lockout selections.
Disco+CB+AI is redundant. Disco lowers Resists, Conductive Blast lowers Energy Resist, AI ignores Resists (therefore making the previous two debuffs moot). You'd be better off with straight Disco+CB for debuffs (especially if you're a Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©), or Chiv+AI for single target damage.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Disco+CB+AI is redundant. Disco lowers Resists, Conductive Blast lowers Energy Resist, AI ignores Resists (therefore making the previous two debuffs moot). You'd be better off with straight Disco+CB for debuffs (especially if you're a Death Ray Tamer/Mage ©), or Chiv+AI for single target damage.
CB doesnt always have upkeep even with just disco + cb (seems to have a few seconds cooldown or RNGeesus just ****s on CB), and runs out quick.
AI will work vs bosses with 95% or more where the discord only brings it down a little bit.

You can try a pet like those on paragon balrons and see which kills quicker.

Now yes, you can do a deathray build but that's more active gameplay required on tamer + quite suit-dependant (needs LMC/MR etc and good meditation).

Draza

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
If you do disco+CB, i would do AP over AI.

You + pet(+ everyone else) doing 10% more damage is more effective. For everyone to benifit, it takes more coridination, but its worth it.

jojo_la

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ya. Realized that after playing around with the pet. Need to get another black cu to redo the build.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
CB doesnt always have upkeep even with just disco + cb (seems to have a few seconds cooldown or RNGeesus just ****s on CB), and runs out quick.
AI will work vs bosses with 95% or more where the discord only brings it down a little bit.

You can try a pet like those on paragon balrons and see which kills quicker.

Now yes, you can do a deathray build but that's more active gameplay required on tamer + quite suit-dependant (needs LMC/MR etc and good meditation).
On a Disco+CB Triton, CB has about a 2/3 (66%) - 3/4 (75%) uptime. Most of my Death Ray ticks benefit from it. It's less on a Disco+CB Cu, due to their Bleed Attack.
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © is Human so that he has JoAT. The JoAT along with a Wraith Form scroll allows him to go into Wraith Form and leech back 8% of the damage he deals in Mana. For most boss fights, that's enough to allow him to sustain Death Ray indefinitely, or spam Chain Lightning/Earthquake for AoE. It's not as suit-dependant as a SW/Tamer, since SDI doesn't affect Death Ray damage, while 40% LMC/30 MR is pretty easy to obtain with Major/Legendary Artifact mage gear.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Once again, a much active skill usage build. + Your pet wont be tanking much without consume damage.
But there are many ways to play UO.

Disc + AI (w/without) will still allow a bit more flexibility with what you fight as you can run consume damage.
2x paragon slayer balrons in wildfire event is no problem.

Lex Darion

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Really? They eat my cu for breakfast, though he’s not fully trained yet
Yeah, as long as you can consume dmg.. and avoid getting aggroed you can keep those cus topped off.
I do it quite easily until some dumbass comes aggroing the slayers and then onto me.

gwen

Slightly Crazed
Yeah, as long as you can consume dmg.. and avoid getting aggroed you can keep those cus topped off.
I do it quite easily until some dumbass comes aggroing the slayers and then onto me.
never tried consume (too lazy to train. taming to 120) but I can do only one para Balron with Disco Ai FWW Triton, just by hitting it with HLA + HLD soul glaive. It goes down faster than my pet looses HP.
Yep, people running around reaggroing paragons are a problem. But since you are mage, invis yourself and a pet, then run. Let para be their problem. Use them. If you made enough damage to get looting rights you are ok.

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
On a Disco+CB Triton, CB has about a 2/3 (66%) - 3/4 (75%) uptime. Most of my Death Ray ticks benefit from it. It's less on a Disco+CB Cu, due to their Bleed Attack.
My Death Ray Tamer/Mage © is Human so that he has JoAT. The JoAT along with a Wraith Form scroll allows him to go into Wraith Form and leech back 8% of the damage he deals in Mana. For most boss fights, that's enough to allow him to sustain Death Ray indefinitely, or spam Chain Lightning/Earthquake for AoE. It's not as suit-dependant as a SW/Tamer, since SDI doesn't affect Death Ray damage, while 40% LMC/30 MR is pretty easy to obtain with Major/Legendary Artifact mage gear.
When the pet already connected discord, does it keep casting the spell (aka, eating mana?), or does the other discord debuffs are casted often? If they do, can you still keep that upkeep up on prolonged fights, as in, completely out of it's mana regen?

Thanks a lot!

gwen

Slightly Crazed
When the pet already connected discord, does it keep casting the spell (aka, eating mana?), or does the other discord debuffs are casted often? If they do, can you still keep that upkeep up on prolonged fights, as in, completely out of it's mana regen?

Thanks a lot!
Pet it casts discord mastery on and off too fast and does zero damage with it .
Foe stays discorded while in line of sight of a pet. Doesn't depend on Mana , same as for character bard.