• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

(partial)Solution to IDOC Loot Scripting

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because of the sheer amount of items that you can't actually get in the game anymore. Such as Leurocian's mempos, Ranger's cloaks, etc rares, so many things that wind up going back into the community and into the hands of new and returning players because of idocs.
I think that is a good thing. As long, of course, they aren't coming from 3rd party RMT sites, right! ;)

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
People still script mine they just do it on unpopulated shards and transfer resources over. Asian shards are great for this HINT HINT HINT

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
They can't watch every single house... though they certainly can patrol and then watch which houses go from public to private... but houses do this all the time...

They will still know ... they will have suspected house watching... though they could stop the public to private thing if they stop the house signs... that was the "solution" for people going in IDOCs ... but if no one knows it's IDOC there wouldn't be any reason for this anymore.

If the house sign never gave warning but only warned those who were friends or Co-owners/Owners of the house... then only they would know. If a house sign never gave any signal at all to the outside world that would be fine... the house would no longer need to "lock it's doors" to the outside as no one would be the wiser of it's condition until it dropped... but you know they would then run the same scripted rails they do know to "check" all the house signs to see what has fallen and gate in their clean up crew before most ever knew a thing. However, friends, and Co-owners would know far before the scavengers... especially if the house told them when it was going to fall.

IMO that would insure that the "right" people would get the first and fastest opportunity to stop the loss... or to save what they treasure from their lost or departed friend.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
But that means that they have the ability to know the exact time that sign changes with their hidden cam and wouldnt they also know the same thing when a house they are watching goes from public to private or when that sign disappeared when the house fell. Some how these scripts know the timing of everything and I would almost bet this info is shared by them all. I am not sure what the right answer is but unless UO is willing to do something then this will never be resolved. I have been here 20+ years and have only used UOA and UOAM and I hate to say iy but I wish UO would just say the only illegal program is multiboxing and all others are ok just as long as you are attended and publish them on the UO web site. I have not seen a resource or BOD scriptior in years so I am glad that it no longer pays enough to use accounts to do this and now it is EM Events, high end mobs, IDOCs and Fel Spawns are the big draws now so maybe it is time to take off the gloves and even the playing field so to say.
Just because a house goes from public to private it doesn't mean it is going idoc. Plus it could already be private. When a house goes IDOC it just removes the friends and co-owners off the house sign irrespective of whether the house is public or private.. If there was NO change to the sign then are never gonna know when a house goes idoc. Unless they camp every house on every shard they aren't gonna know when one falls.

It is the most simple way to stop a LOT of scripting if the sign NEVER gives it's status. No idea why it does to be honest. There is no need for it. If the owner isnt paying they obviously don't care about the thing, and if they do log in playing the 90 day game with subs then as soon as the house turns into decay mode they will get the message that the house in condemned when they enter it. No NEED for the sign to say anything.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Just turn off the 'advertising' of idocs on the sign. SIMPLE.

As I posted on the other forum:

It is just so simple, stop the sign advertising the house condition as I said above. If ya don't know it is idoc you can't script it, can't camp it, cant get organized with a hundred packies.

No need for all the above complicated solutions. No packy banning, or time changes or storing stuff, or stopping them completely.

The WHOLE problem will instantly STOP if people don't know a joint is in idoc state.
That sounds like it will just kill IDOCing as an activity because most of the houses outside of busy areas will drop without anyone noticing. I don't think that would be a good thing. Even if you extend the item decay to compensate, the scripters will be the ones to benefit still. They'll keep doing what they are doing now - having bots run around looking for stuff on the ground.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You mean OTHER than the fact it is against the UO terms of services, and the fact that "those" people should be banned. :)
*Shrugs* Everyone already knows your opinion on the matter, no need to derail every thread over it. If you would like, You can start another thread to rant again about the dev's inaction and we can hear all the conspiracy theories.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
*Shrugs* Everyone already knows your opinion on the matter, no need to derail every thread over it. If you would like, You can start another thread to rant again about the dev's inaction and we can hear all the conspiracy theories.
Why does it bother you so much that I, and many others, feel the RMT people should be (rightfully) banned? :D Scripting and RMT go hand in hand. FYI, My opinion is just as valid as yours.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Why does it bother you so much that I, and many others, feel the RMT people should be (rightfully) banned? :D Scripting and RMT go hand in hand. FYI, My opinion is just as valid as yours.
Doesn't bother me at all. Time and place though.

fonsvitae

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
I'd be for new content.

A billboard at each bank with the list of houses that could collapse that day.

1. House goes Idoc, a gate opens up 30 minutes before it collapses at luna/wbb and takes you to the Idoc. No random timer nonsense.

2. House Collapses in a blaze of glory and a gate is standing where it was, gate takes you to a treasure vault with a boss inside. Slightly tweak Krampus monster, implement treasure sand. etc etc. Let the boss be Invuln for 15 minutes to give players time to show up and pull it's health bar. Kill the boss and on the corpse is the items from the house and a single key.

3. Key lets you place a house at the location before the timer is up.

Boom, new content. . Players would still pancake but it sounds much more fair and fun to me.
I like this idea because it puts the advantages that scripters hold into the hands of the players, evening the playing field; it gives everyone fair access to the matters of interest: a) knowledge of place and time of collapse, and b) opportunity to acquire the items and plot.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Because this is another source of content for some people. I imagine there are players for whom IDOCs is the major if not only part of gameplay. You take it out, they will leave. In addition IDOCs have some positive effect on gold inflation.
I generally don't bother with IDOCs because sitting and waiting is not how I want to spend my limited game time. But casually removing content just because some are unfairly benefiting from it, is silly.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Because this is another source of content for some people. I imagine there are players for whom IDOCs is the major if not only part of gameplay. You take it out, they will leave. In addition IDOCs have some positive effect on gold inflation.
I generally don't bother with IDOCs because sitting and waiting is not how I want to spend my limited game time. But casually removing content just because some are unfairly benefiting from it, is silly.
I agree. You don't penalize the players who follow the rules and enjoy it. You penalize (ban) the players who BREAK the rules.

Naitch

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Awards
My thought for the day :

I sometimes wonder if the idoc's are full of things that were picked up from other idoc's ?

Hmmmm .....

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
The "content" in this case is stupid and needs to be removed. If people quit over it, that's fine. If IDOCing is all they care about, they can go, nobody will notice. Trammel ruleset IDOCs are no different than going to your local soup kitchen or food pantry and asking for a handout. It involves no skill or risk and has the highest reward... It needs to go!

The only benefit to IDOC is that, when done with a fel ruleset, it gives people something worthwhile to fight over, which is certainly needed. But nobody is complaining about fel IDOCs because they work as intended and scripting doesn't really work there. They could leave the fel IDOCs alone, but then people would just cry about how unfair it is. So I say:

F*** it, just delete the houses and all of their contents.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The "content" in this case is stupid and needs to be removed. If people quit over it, that's fine. If IDOCing is all they care about, they can go, nobody will notice. Trammel ruleset IDOCs are no different than going to your local soup kitchen or food pantry and asking for a handout. It involves no skill or risk and has the highest reward... It needs to go!
1. This is a sandbox game. There is no one right way to play it.
2. Unsupported opinions, just like whatever that is above are worthless.
3. They pay the same monthly fee as you are. You don't hold a monopoly on what people should and should not be doing in the game.
4. Plenty of people enjoy doing things that involve no risk (decorating, gardening, etc.). See #1.
5. UO needs every sub it can get.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
The problem with IDOCs is that they are scripted to hell. It logically follows that non-cheating players who enjoy IDOCs aren't able to participate and enjoy them and have already left or at least had that part of their game experience drastically diminished. So who are IDOCs being saved for?

If the content is primarily or only serving cheaters, and the cheating either can not or will not be meaningfully curtailed, then what's the point in keeping it? Is the monthly income of a scripter's cheat account worth the continued erosion of confidence and slow hemorrhaging of players' accounts when their preferred content is no longer accessible? Disenfranchising honest players to save cheaters' accounts is a terrible and self defeating strategy, and probably loses more accounts over time than it saves.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The problem with IDOCs is that they are scripted to hell. It logically follows that non-cheating players who enjoy IDOCs aren't able to participate and enjoy them and have already left or at least had that part of their game experience drastically diminished. So who are IDOCs being saved for?

If the content is primarily or only serving cheaters, and the cheating either can not or will not be meaningfully curtailed, then what's the point in keeping it? Is the monthly income of a scripter's cheat account worth the continued erosion of confidence and slow hemorrhaging of players' accounts when their preferred content is no longer accessible? Disenfranchising honest players to save cheaters' accounts is a terrible and self defeating strategy, and probably loses more accounts over time than it saves.
Very well said and I agree 100%... if they can't stop or fix the scripting and cheating going on at the IDOCs then I would much rather they either did away with it or made it some sort of free for all by turning the house sign part off... alerting only the Owner and Friends/Co-owners... and not changing the house to private or anything just the warning for those on the sign everyone else knows nothing till it falls.

Yes maybe some things will be lost this way... but honestly... if it stops the cheating it could just bring some folk back. But we all know they would just run their rails and walk about till they found a pile of goodies ... we all know they have scripts to turn on that runs around checking every house on every shard... So I don't know...

Still consider the idea that the stuff just goes into a transfer crate attached to the player ... after logging in they have so long to find a plot and place and then transfer the crate to the house .... would solve a lot but it would end a lot as well... but then if the crate isn't claimed in 60 days then it should go up for lottery... creating a gold sink.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That sounds like it will just kill IDOCing as an activity because most of the houses outside of busy areas will drop without anyone noticing. I don't think that would be a good thing. Even if you extend the item decay to compensate, the scripters will be the ones to benefit still. They'll keep doing what they are doing now - having bots run around looking for stuff on the ground.
Yeah but people are complaining that ALL the scripters are getting everything now. Can't have it both ways.

I think a LOT of people, including myself, don't bother with idocs as I have better things to do with my time than camp a place to see when it turns idoc to try and get a 'window' to know when the 5, 10, or 15 hours will occur, or just sit for up to 15 HOURS watching a place if you don't know the window. Not to mention then having to deal with the script looters and their piles of packies when it eventually does fall for the end result of nothing much. In fact there is not ONE person I play with regularly who even bothers with IDOC's due to the scripters and the waste of time it involves.

The whole way idocs are set up is to assist SCRIPTERS. If you believe anything else I think you are kidding yourself.

With no advertising on the sign, as to whether a place is public/private and its decay status, as I have suggested I think a LOT more people will start running the lands as they know they 'may' be lucky and stumble across a drop. If this is the NORMAL way then I doubt many would ever go without ppl noticing. If you remember when they had the idoc drop of the past when they turned it back on after a period of no idocs, there were people out everywhere looking for drops. The same will happen if they make it normal that houses just drop. Instead of recalling from Vesper bank to Minoc I would probably run it on the 'off chance' etc. Other people may spend 20 mins a day just running in 'case' they get lucky. People who use/frequent friends houses may find they are shut out and know the person is probly inactive so FRIENDS of that house will get the heads up, which is right and proper. I know if for whatever reason I ever went inactive resulting in my places going IDOC I would much rather my friends had that than the offshard scripters that currently have the drop.

If some houses fall and no one notices then all good. The owner didn't want the stuff, you didn't know it was there, you never saw if any thing decayed and so you can't miss what you never had.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
With no advertising on the sign, as to whether a place is public/private and its decay status, as I have suggested I think a LOT more people will start running the lands as they know they 'may' be lucky and stumble across a drop. If this is the NORMAL way then I doubt many would ever go without ppl noticing.
Do you see a lot of people (not bots) making regular rounds looking for IDOCs now? This is when they are given 15 or so hours to find it. If you switch it to no warning, it would be impossible to traverse even a single shard before the items will decay. No sane person will do something with such a small chance of finding a house before items decay. But it's still worth it for the bots, because they have all the time in the world.
So you will go from a situation where scripters collect the bulk of the stuff, but regular players still have a chance to grab something, to a situation where regular players have no chance at all.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Do you see a lot of people (not bots) making regular rounds looking for IDOCs now? This is when they are given 15 or so hours to find it. If you switch it to no warning, it would be impossible to traverse even a single shard before the items will decay. No sane person will do something with such a small chance of finding a house before items decay. But it's still worth it for the bots, because they have all the time in the world.
So you will go from a situation where scripters collect the bulk of the stuff, but regular players still have a chance to grab something, to a situation where regular players have no chance at all.
NO because even if you FIND an idoc now there is no point in camping it, you don't know when it is gonna fall and you don't have 15 hours spare to sit and watch it and you can't compete with the bots and scripters that have been camping them even if you take the time.

The idea is to make stumbling across a fallen house fun and equal to everyone. Those that wanna spend the time treasure hunting for idocs can, run the lands, guilds can split up 'areas' to check, those that live next a place that falls are 'lucky' those that stumble across places are also lucky. Increase the decay rate on items if you must, to say 24 hrs on IDOC items only.

Take the 'business' part out of it. Right now IDOCs are predominantly for those illegal sites who flog off stuff for real life money. The ONLY shard that this doesn't apply to is siege where player justice sorts it out. On production shards it is set up by scripter for scripters, I have NO doubt someone is making a pot load of real life money on this issue and that is why it is never changed. The last change they made actually made it even BETTER for scripters so yeah, I have no doubt no change will happen.

I don't have any problem with it 'being impossible to traverse even a single shard' as frankly it should never be able to be done anyway. What happens now is the scripters run all shards, place their bots, get their times then pick the choice properties on each shard, castles, luna plots, keeps, those plots that have been established for yrs, place their bot scritpers to watch the signs, then get their camped out looters to arrive minutes before the drop to scoop everything up. The castles on our shard are always camped by offshard scripters when they go idoc, as are the luna spots. The ONLY people doing this type of operation are the well knowns cheaters.

I would rather people are able to get a bit of luck and score rather than keep going with this farce we have at the moment.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Those that wanna spend the time treasure hunting for idocs can, run the lands, guilds can split up 'areas' to check, those that live next a place that falls are 'lucky' those that stumble across places are also lucky. Increase the decay rate on items if you must, to say 24 hrs on IDOC items only.
This seems just such a prime attraction for scripters. Instead of the bots running around looking for IDOC signs, they will run around looking for items on the ground.

Take the 'business' part out of it. Right now IDOCs are predominantly for those illegal sites who flog off stuff for real life money. The ONLY shard that this doesn't apply to is siege where player justice sorts it out. On production shards it is set up by scripter for scripters, I have NO doubt someone is making a pot load of real life money on this issue and that is why it is never changed. The last change they made actually made it even BETTER for scripters so yeah, I have no doubt no change will happen.

I don't have any problem with it 'being impossible to traverse even a single shard' as frankly it should never be able to be done anyway. What happens now is the scripters run all shards, place their bots, get their times then pick the choice properties on each shard, castles, luna plots, keeps, those plots that have been established for yrs, place their bot scritpers to watch the signs, then get their camped out looters to arrive minutes before the drop to scoop everything up. The castles on our shard are always camped by offshard scripters when they go idoc, as are the luna spots. The ONLY people doing this type of operation are the well knowns cheaters.

I would rather people are able to get a bit of luck and score rather than keep going with this farce we have at the moment.
Well, they way you want it, it would not be a bit of luck. It would be more like a once in a lifetime opportunity to score big. Which is fine. However, I know that there are people for whom IDOCing is the game ( I am not talking about the scripters). A change such as you suggest will likely drive them away from the game. And for what gain? Merely so that we could feel righteous that evil scripters are not benefitting unfairly?
Currently the biggest harm from these botters is that they upset law abiding IDOCers. Your suggestion is to effectively shut down IDOCing as a purposeful occupation for everyone but the scripters. This is not even the case of throwing the baby out with the bathwater. This is more of keeping half of the water and chucking the baby out of the window.

Having said that, I really do not have a good solution to this problem. I am not sure if there is one. Even if the server randomly distributes stuff to everyone present, you'll still have multiboxers with 12 accounts each hogging the rewards.
But at the same time I don't want to make the situation worse than it is. Some of the most disastrous design decisions in UO were taken in nearsighted attempts to fix something.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
However, I know that there are people for whom IDOCing is the game ( I am not talking about the scripters).
I don't believe this. Why would someone limit themselves to just IDOCs? To get the stuff to become a better IDOCer? To sell for the gold needed to IDOC? Oh... Wait... IDOCing is completely talentless and anyone with a paid account can do it, so what would be the point?

Personally, I think that you are full of it and are trying to protect the ability of the scripters and RMTers to turn a profit. Luckily for you the devs seem to share a similar opinion on the subject and it's not likely to change, but don't think you are going to convince me or anyone else that this problem can't be solved. If people quit over it, so be it, it doesn't have any effect on my wallet.

Riyana

Operations
Administrator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Event Coordinator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Very well said and I agree 100%... if they can't stop or fix the scripting and cheating going on at the IDOCs then I would much rather they either did away with it or made it some sort of free for all by turning the house sign part off... alerting only the Owner and Friends/Co-owners... and not changing the house to private or anything just the warning for those on the sign everyone else knows nothing till it falls.

Yes maybe some things will be lost this way... but honestly... if it stops the cheating it could just bring some folk back. But we all know they would just run their rails and walk about till they found a pile of goodies ... we all know they have scripts to turn on that runs around checking every house on every shard... So I don't know...

Still consider the idea that the stuff just goes into a transfer crate attached to the player ... after logging in they have so long to find a plot and place and then transfer the crate to the house .... would solve a lot but it would end a lot as well... but then if the crate isn't claimed in 60 days then it should go up for lottery... creating a gold sink.
I like the idea of friends and co-owners getting notification... the pet vendor system has a notification system that could possibly be adapted or used as a starting point for building something.

The stuff disappearing from the game would be a far better gold sink than a lottery that the already-rich are almost certain to win though. If people are worried about items like the ToT stuff becoming ever scarcer, we have the Kotl holodeck that could be adapted to different time frame/content packages. That platform has a lot of potential if only they'd use it.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I like the idea of friends and co-owners getting notification... the pet vendor system has a notification system that could possibly be adapted or used as a starting point for building something.

The stuff disappearing from the game would be a far better gold sink than a lottery that the already-rich are almost certain to win though. If people are worried about items like the ToT stuff becoming ever scarcer, we have the Kotl holodeck that could be adapted to different time frame/content packages. That platform has a lot of potential if only they'd use it.
A lottery where it is 100k per account would benefit the lucky one... certainly, some have more accounts than others but I hate to see things just gone... there are some things many of us treasure... it's not because it's worth a ton... it's because of whom it belonged to at a time. Surely you see that. There are many places filled with historic things, player-written books, things crafted by dear friends... and many other things that IMO are reason enough to keep the IDOCs... but yes the cheating needs to end, but I don't think it's worth giving up and losing history.

What do you think those scripters do with much of the stuff they gather up so quickly? They toss anything that isn't "worthy" of turning a few gold... precious things are already being lost and their cost is priceless.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
IMO - Raffle tickets or delete it!
I rather like a raffle/lottery sort of idea... I do NOT approve of an Auction... that will seriously only benefit the already rich.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't believe this. Why would someone limit themselves to just IDOCs? To get the stuff to become a better IDOCer? To sell for the gold needed to IDOC? Oh... Wait... IDOCing is completely talentless and anyone with a paid account can do it, so what would be the point?

Personally, I think that you are full of it and are trying to protect the ability of the scripters and RMTers to turn a profit. Luckily for you the devs seem to share a similar opinion on the subject and it's not likely to change, but don't think you are going to convince me or anyone else that this problem can't be solved. If people quit over it, so be it, it doesn't have any effect on my wallet.
You can believe whatever you want. I know someone that pretty much limits her activity to gardening. You may believe she does not exist, yet there she is. As I mentioned before, I don't do IDOCs and do not know anyone who does them with scripts. I am not trying to convince you of anything, especially since it looks like a hopeless exercise. The problem probably can be solved. So far I have not see anything that would not either make it worse, or remove IDOCing altogether.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I know someone who pretty much just does BODs... that's pretty much all she does. It's what she enjoys so I don't fault her on that... IMO it's whatever floats your boat as long as it's within the ToS. Once you start doing things against the ToS then well you should go find something else to do because obviously, UO is too difficult for you if you can't play within the rules.

That's my opinion take it or leave it... I don't try to "force" my gameplay style on others... not everyone is into RP or whatnot... but I'll remain as IC as I can... though sometimes it's just not possible. But that's me again... not forcing anyone to do what I want. When folk try to force their gameplay on others that's just wrong IMO... I don't tell others how to play or enjoy the game. But again I also expect folk to play by the rules and obey the ToS. At the same time I expect UO/EA to ENFORCE those rules. When they don't or seem to turn a blind eye or ignore the blatant breaking of those rules then you have to wonder if they even give a rats about the game enough to maintain and take care of the loyal player base or if they just don't really care and it's just a paycheck.

Sometimes it feels like every man/woman for him/her self... and to heck with everyone else... And other times it just feels like greed, greed, greed and I get very disgusted.

And finally if you like Fel and all that crap that's great for you.... but most of us (which is 100% obvious) don't.... and I'd prefer if Fel PvP crap stayed in Fel and they left the rest of us out of it and quit trying to bait everyone to Fel to get killed... because that's not something we enjoy. If I wanted to PvP I'd do it... but again... there is that cheating and breaking of the ToS that is so obvious it's in 99% of the screenshots and video's anyone puts out involving PvP... you can see the cheats clearly in so many of them it's just as disgusting as the whole IDOC mess.

Now at one time, they said some crap about updating what is and isn't an acceptable 3rd party program... but since that hasn't happened we can all assume that the only approved ones are the ones listed on Stratics that hasn't changed in years. Personally I just wish they would fix the EC to where it was the clear choice for everyone to use... and ditch the old CC and all it's bugs and cheats... but again that's me and it's not likely to ever happen as I'm fairly sure that the DEVs don't use the EC and I'm even more sure they don't actually play the game. At least not how normal folk play.

PageBoy

Journeyman
3. They pay the same monthly fee as you are. You don't hold a monopoly on what people should and should not be doing in the game.
4. Plenty of people enjoy doing things that involve no risk (decorating, gardening, etc.). See #1.
Agree

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And finally if you like Fel and all that crap that's great for you.... but most of us (which is 100% obvious) don't.... and I'd prefer if Fel PvP crap stayed in Fel and they left the rest of us out of it and quit trying to bait everyone to Fel to get killed... because that's not something we enjoy. If I wanted to PvP I'd do it...
Well said.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Amen :postcount:.

While I agree more needs to be done when it comes to cheaters, dupers and scripters... there's also this sense of entitlement from some of the UO playerbase that's an even bigger issue in my opinion.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Nobody is trying to force anyone into playing a certain way. I just refuse to believe that there are people that do Trammel IDOCs for fun. They are not fun, the only reason anyone does them is to collect more junk to put in their house or to sell for gold or cash. The reward is too much for standing around doing nothing for hours. Gardening and BODs are rewarded for the time, skill, and materials required to do them, and I could see how someone could enjoy them. IDOCs require no skills or materials, only time, an absurd amount of it, which is why it is a system that is best suited for scripters. The system is broken. Nothing in this paragraph is my opinion, merely a statement of fact.

My opinion however, is that this broken system needs to be removed from the game or somehow be made to be fun (like it is in fel). I understand that UO needs all the subscribers it can get and removing of this system will cause a lot of closed accounts. I believe most of the accounts that would close would be the accounts of scripters and cheats. I don't consider the monthly fee of a scripter to be the same as mine, people can do whatever they want to... except for cheating. Nobody should be upset when these accounts close, no matter how much the subscription fees are needed.

Laura_Gold

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best idea:

The house disappears. All of its contents are saved, in the database.
They reappear in the moving crate when/if the flakey owner places a new house. Hey, hard drives are big enough and the population is small enough so that this would work.

That's an end to all of the IDOC madness, AND an end to @Mesanna having to personally go in and save soulstones, AND an end to the "owned by OSI" frustration.

Archnight

Legendary Merchant & Rare Collector
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Best idea:
While it might inconvenience the entire playerbase, I still think this idea (below) is the best regarding ALL cheating/scripting in UO.

"Implement small and frequent mandatory anti-cheating patches. Every time there is a patch, the cheat programs stop working for a day or two until their creators update them to work with the new patch. If there were a small daily patch that changed just enough to break their programs it would take most of the illegal advantages away from the cheaters, since their programs wouldn't work for half the day or more until someone updated them, and by then the next patch would be getting ready to break the cheats all over again. Eventually they would get tired of having to fix their cheats on a daily basis, and they would inevitably stop using the cheats as much out of the frustration caused by the cheats being unreliable."

*Edit: After speaking with a few people, it seems this is no longer a viable solution. If it truly was it would also come at a heavy price, as the game would inevitably shut down :(.

Last edited:

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Best idea:

The house disappears. All of its contents are saved, in the database.
They reappear in the moving crate when/if the flakey owner places a new house. Hey, hard drives are big enough and the population is small enough so that this would work.

That's an end to all of the IDOC madness, AND an end to @Mesanna having to personally go in and save soulstones, AND an end to the "owned by OSI" frustration.
My only opposition to this is that IDOCs are a good source of fun on Siege and in fel. It's better than doing nothing, and perhaps it's a better idea than just killing IDOCs. I suppose, as long as they leave Siege and Mugen alone it would be fair to all. Well... except for the Fel PvPers, they would lose good meaningful content of which they don't really have much to begin with.

"Implement small and frequent mandatory anti-cheating patches. Every time there is a patch, the cheat programs stop working for a day or two until their creators update them to work with the new patch. If there were a small daily patch that changed just enough to break their programs it would take most of the illegal advantages away from the cheaters, since their programs wouldn't work for half the day or more until someone updated them, and by then the next patch would be getting ready to break the cheats all over again. Eventually they would get tired of having to fix their cheats on a daily basis, and they would inevitably stop using the cheats as much out of the frustration caused by the cheats being unreliable."
I don't think that this would work from a software engineering standpoint. I'd like to think that if was possible, they would have already implemented it. I could go into how the cheating programs work, but I feel like I the discussion might be infringing on the Stratics rules.

You think so, but you are wrong. Running around looking at house signs for hours was not fun, waiting for the house to fall was not fun, dragging loot into your pack or packies wasn't really fun either. The "fun" actually came from lining your greedy pockets with the things that someone else worked for (well... probably not). You now no longer get that feeling because there is little to be gained, it would be the same way if there was a clicky at the bank where you just click it and get whatever you wanted. Yeah, it may be "fun" for a while, but you would eventually get bored with it. Do you think the scripters are having fun doing IDOCs? It's just not a fun system, it is only there to satisfy your greed. Sorry.

Last edited:
I think the solution would be leave the house spot that remains on a random timer to place a new one. Take all the stuff in the house and put it in the treasure hunter chests randomly, in that green bag that always gives nothing good.

None of it really matters though because the developers tolerate cheaters, so as long as there is that nothing really will solve it. That guy has been spamming new players help chat with his uo gold for years, probably is one of the cheaters doing idocs. Then you got the people who sell gold and dont even try to hide it.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
@Stinky Pete "You think so, but you are wrong. Running around looking at house signs for hours was not fun, waiting for the house to fall was not fun, dragging loot into your pack or packies wasn't really fun either. The "fun" actually came from lining your greedy pockets with the things that someone else worked for (well... probably not). You now no longer get that feeling because there is little to be gained, it would be the same way if there was a clicky at the bank where you just click it and get whatever you wanted. Yeah, it may be "fun" for a while, but you would eventually get bored with it. Do you think the scripters are having fun doing IDOCs? It's just not a fun system, it is only there to satisfy your greed."Sorry.[/QUOTE]

I am NOT a scripter. What is fun for one person might not be for another. That doesn't make what I enjoy, "not fun". What made it "not fun" was when all the scripters came in.

King Greg

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

I've said it before i'll say it again. They released the source code to that program, anyone with it can handle small patches in less than 20 minutes. The only reason it would go "Down" For a couple days was from the people who could patch just weren't around. This also only effects 1/3 of the 3rd party programs so players would just switch over to the other 2 options if it did get to be too much of a pain. Not an actual solution.

They have already drawn a line in the sand. The line is If you are dumb enough to have a player page on you and not respond when a gm pokes you with a stick, you get banned. You can go watch the stream of the dude botting 24/7 on oceania if you don't believe me. Multiboxing, no poke by the gm. Duping, they have methods for tracking to try and find the source. Their lines on griefing are a little more grey.

Why did the developers take this stance? It all goes back to that marvelous spreadsheet where they realized what would happen if they banned everyone who used 3rd party programs.

Not sure why I am even bothering saying all this again. Most of the players who feel this way would rather see the game shut down if it meant enforcing the TOS to the letter, but then all the "Cheating" players would just move to freeshards where it's allowed.

"Why did the developers take this stance? It all goes back to that marvelous spreadsheet where they realized what would happen if they banned everyone who used 3rd party programs. "

They should of just banned them anyways. Tolerating cheaters just does every one a disservice, it why all MMOs are usally bad if they aren't on ps4, because people cheat to much. It sucks I literally have to ignore all the cheaters. So it's like walking into a poker game knowing 80 percent of every one there cheats, and every one but u is ok with it. That is pretty much uo.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I am NOT a scripter. What is fun for one person might not be for another. That doesn't make what I enjoy, "not fun". What made it "not fun" was when all the scripters came in.
Not saying you are a scripter, just saying that the only "fun" you ever got from IDOCing is staring at the junk you looted and having your greed satisfied. Satisfying one's greed and fun are not the same thing.

Sellingahouse

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
for about 3 weeks now I have been trying to mark all malas and trammel idocs and some felucca on Atlantic. about every 4 to 5 days I do it all over again. the runebooks are locked down on my porch for everyone to use. every night I go around and remark all the houses that are greatly so I know the ones that will change the next day to idoc. If I can in the morning I start recalling to the gws I marked the night before every 10 to 30 mintues so I can get an idea of the timer, I also share this with everyone. Almost all change to idoc between a 2 hour period in the mornings.

To get an idea, Malas takes me about 2 to 2 1/2 hours to check. I break trammel up into 2 days and spend 1 to 3 hours searching there. I do have a fast computer and internet. Also before this I would run around looking for a house to sell almost everyday. So I kind of had a system of looking for house spots. now I just run over or click houses instead of looking for a place to put one.

If I can search almost every house (I know there are some I miss) on Atlantic in malas and trammel in less than 10 hours every 4 to 5 days, you can do it faster on other shards with less houses. Once you have the houses marked just grab the books recall to them at night see what ones are greatly and mark those. the next morning start checking them, do it every 30 minutes to get a timer that's not 15 hours. most all change between 9am cst and 11am cst. get friends to help you. share it with everyone.

The cheaters cant grab everything if there are tons of people there. If they cant get every single item then maybe they will not want to do idocs anymore? At every idoc I have been going to with items I grab stuff. I also know I spend more time playing then most, but I can. I hope others do this on their shards just to help out folks that don't have time or tons of gold. Also I need to tell you, if you do this you will find many people really really hate you and will call you everything they can think of, but so many will really like this and tell you the great items or houses they get, so it kind of evens out. Give it a try and enjoy

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
While it might inconvenience the entire playerbase, I still think this idea (below) is the best regarding ALL cheating/scripting in UO.

I'm afraid that program you are speaking of has already removed the need to patch when the client patches.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I believe that if they actually started to enforce the ToS more people would actually return to UO... though at this point it might be too little too late...

But finding a way to end what's going on now would be good...

As for what some feel is fun... I used to Enjoy IDOCs... it was like Christmas... You never knew what was in the box or chest or whatever you grabbed... and for people who don't have Billions in Gold it really was like Christmas... No I wasn't making money off it selling all the stuff... I was building a horde of things for Deco and Designing and other things as well as for giving out to new and returning players and even for my annual house drop...

But since I seriously can't compete with all the script looters anymore that source of gathering for my house drop is gone... making it harder for me to get things. I enjoy I guess giving... and with dwindling sources of nice things to give and trade I have dwindling fun... and far less enjoyment of the game.

Dropkick Murphys

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran

it takes 10 mins