1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Greetings Guest!!

In order to combat SPAM on the forums, all users are required to have a minimum of 2 posts before they can submit links in any post or thread.

Dismiss Notice
  3. Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
    Dismiss Notice

Out of virtual memory

Discussion in 'UHall' started by Phantasmagorian, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Longtooths

Longtooths Supreme Commander
    Stratics Veteran Alumni Stratics Legend LTC

lol, some of the recent comments...we mock what we do not understand....more fear plz

2. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

You're not going to shame me with this. I'm no programmer, but I know that if it alters a .exe file that's bad for someone like me to do. Let's see... listen to some rando that likes to shame people into his answer or listen to a large number of Microsoft responses that don't require a download and has worked for me on many other older games? Seems like you're the one trying not to understand.

There are a few answers to all these issues. You're on a 64 bit OS and running a 32 bit program, you're not using Administrator, and you're not running in a compatibility mode for an older OS. None require you to actually download a supplemental fix.

Too many people saying they're having issues aren't providing enough information to actually help though... like what version of UO? What OS are they using? Without these details I'm not sure how any of the answers provided here can be 100% solid and correct.

3. Longtooths

I'm a rando huh? Lets look at some facts shall we....

This is you:
    upload_2018-1-14_13-11-21.png

This is me:
    upload_2018-1-14_13-11-52.png

I appreciate you trying to lash out and disparage me but that was a lil weak and factually untrue.

Over the course of about 5 years:
    I tried running as admin, didn't work.
    I tried comparability mode, didn't work.
    I tried running memtest, no errors.
    I tried replacing my 32gb of ram, didn't work.
    I tried manually increasing my virtual memory, didn't work.

So out of frustration I used the little tool and it worked 100%. I have had no problems patching or anything, it just works like it should and I could not be anymore grateful. I hope the other stuff helps for everyone, I sincerely do. However there are people that were/are in my situation and posting in this thread, and I was trying help them and tell them what finally worked for me. The knee jerk, scared reactions were funny to me, sue me I think they are ridiculous.

4. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

Really? Post count means you're not a random stranger on the internet? I've had so many accounts I've lost passwords to on this forum. I didn't know post count had so much prestige and importance that it makes your word matter so much I would have tried harder to recover my old emails and accounts.

Also, my suggestion did fix the TC's issue. You can argue around that fact among yourselves.

Calling you a random isn't disparaging. I wouldn't download a .exe from my best friend and I would certainly tell everyone not to do it as well.

5. Longtooths

Sorry, I guess our definitions of your made up word, "rando" are different. Either way,

It fixed it for some, not all. You refuse to acknowledge that your suggestions did not work for some people.

Ahh I c. In that case, thank you for your advice rando.

6. Lore

Lore Lore Keeper

I did listen to everyone. Not everyone is providing enough details, as I stated. This game is 20 years old. For all I or you know a lot of users saying they're having issues could be running a Walmart special from 2002.

7. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Grand Inquisitor

We disagree on some things but I gotta say I strongly agree with you on downloading .exe files. It would have to be a highly reputable and verified app for me to run it. We've seen many high profile companies and government organizations hacked who should have strong security and I just don't go there. Or at least I'm not gonna make it super easy for them to hack me and hopefully they'll move onto the many easier targets ;) No disrespect to the posters of any helpful apps out there which I'm sure are effective and perfectly fine, but it's just not my way :) In some cases these apps can have vulnerabilities the author might not even be aware of. I still use a Blackberry for God's sake :p I downloaded an Ultima Online Classic Client Game App from Electronic Arts that has cost me thousands of dollars over the years ;)

Lore likes this.
  8. Basara

Basara UO Forum Moderator
    Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

Playing a little thread necro here, but I've had this come up on a 32_BIT INSTALL of Windows 10 (it was originally a 32-bit Windows 7 computer), and has been doing it off and on since August (at which time this thread had disappeared far into the past).

So, that NTCore patch wouldn't work for me (at least, I don't think it would).

It appears to have only started to occur after the client patches introducing the 21st anniversary material needed for TC, and ever after.

Other than getting a new computer (something I want to do but can't afford currently), any advice?

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  9. Longtooths

Have you tried the ntcore?

10. Spartan

Spartan Lore Keeper

Everything ran fine for me from XP thru Win 8.1. Win 10 screwed up and running as Administrator was the way to go.

You could also try the Troubleshoot Compatibility option which will figure the best settings for whatever you are starting up. I have 2 or 3 items that are Win 7 settings, the rest are Win 8.

11. Basara

Moderator Professional Governor Stratics Veteran Wiki Moderator Stratics Legend Campaign Supporter

NTcore shouldn't apply - it is a fix for a 64-BIT window install running 32-bit programs. I'm using a legacy 32-bit Windows 10 install (it's auto-upgrade was from 32-bit Windows 7). And, I've been running UO as admin since this computer was a Windows 7 machine.

Most of the time I can run UO, but not open a second CC client to trade items between clients (but CAN do it by opening up an EC to trade with the CC). As time goes on since the last computer boot, I start getting client crashes referencing either virtual memory or being unable to play a music file, and after a few of those, I can't restart the CC at all without a reboot.

12. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Journeyman

How's your disk space? Windows 10 likes to store old versions so that you can revert later. Low disk space can cause virtual memory errors.

Usually when I see virtual memory errors I upgrade the RAM but I doubt in your case this would help as it is a 32-bit machine and incapable of addressing more than 4 GB of RAM. Can you post the PCs specs? Including free drive space.

13. Longtooths

So no then...

14. Basara

Refurbed Dell Optiplex 755
    Windows 10 32-bit, 4 GB (3.25 GB usable)
    Core2 Duo E8400 3Ghz processor
    Primary HDD: 1TB (930 GB), 433 GB used, 496 free
    Secondary HDD: 2TB (1.81), 479 GB used, 1.35TB free

15. Stinky Pete

Stinky Pete Journeyman

Well, it's definitely not a lack of space. What do your virtual memory settings look like? Mine look like this:
    upload_2019-1-8_12-24-23.png

16. celticus

celticus Certifiable

Yep..This plus the CC and EC client crashing 5-6 times a day, randomly? Give us a f***n break!!
    These are particularly annoying issues.

Keith of Sonoma likes this.
  17. Basara

I had as big as possible paging file set up, and I go back in now to check and it's been reduced down to 3612 AGAIN. Trying to make it bigger again.

18. Capt. Lucky

Capt. Lucky Grand Inquisitor