• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Out of virtual memory

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
lol, some of the recent comments...we mock what we do not understand....more fear plz

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
lol, some of the recent comments...we mock what we do not understand....more fear plz
You're not going to shame me with this. I'm no programmer, but I know that if it alters a .exe file that's bad for someone like me to do. Let's see... listen to some rando that likes to shame people into his answer or listen to a large number of Microsoft responses that don't require a download and has worked for me on many other older games? Seems like you're the one trying not to understand.

There are a few answers to all these issues. You're on a 64 bit OS and running a 32 bit program, you're not using Administrator, and you're not running in a compatibility mode for an older OS. None require you to actually download a supplemental fix.

Too many people saying they're having issues aren't providing enough information to actually help though... like what version of UO? What OS are they using? Without these details I'm not sure how any of the answers provided here can be 100% solid and correct.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You're not going to shame me with this. I'm no programmer, but I know that if it alters a .exe file that's bad for someone like me to do. Let's see... listen to some rando that likes to shame people into his answer or listen to a large number of Microsoft responses that don't require a download and has worked for me on many other older games? Seems like you're the one trying not to understand.
I'm a rando huh? Lets look at some facts shall we....

This is you:
upload_2018-1-14_13-11-21.png

This is me:
upload_2018-1-14_13-11-52.png

I appreciate you trying to lash out and disparage me but that was a lil weak and factually untrue.

There are a few answers to all these issues. You're on a 64 bit OS and running a 32 bit program, you're not using Administrator, and you're not running in a compatibility mode for an older OS. None require you to actually download a supplemental fix.
Over the course of about 5 years:
I tried running as admin, didn't work.
I tried comparability mode, didn't work.
I tried running memtest, no errors.
I tried replacing my 32gb of ram, didn't work.
I tried manually increasing my virtual memory, didn't work.

So out of frustration I used the little tool and it worked 100%. I have had no problems patching or anything, it just works like it should and I could not be anymore grateful. I hope the other stuff helps for everyone, I sincerely do. However there are people that were/are in my situation and posting in this thread, and I was trying help them and tell them what finally worked for me. The knee jerk, scared reactions were funny to me, sue me I think they are ridiculous.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Really? Post count means you're not a random stranger on the internet? I've had so many accounts I've lost passwords to on this forum. I didn't know post count had so much prestige and importance that it makes your word matter so much I would have tried harder to recover my old emails and accounts.

Also, my suggestion did fix the TC's issue. You can argue around that fact among yourselves.

Calling you a random isn't disparaging. I wouldn't download a .exe from my best friend and I would certainly tell everyone not to do it as well.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Really? Post count means you're not a random stranger on the internet? I've had so many accounts I've lost passwords to on this forum. I didn't know post count had so much prestige and importance that it makes your word matter so much I would have tried harder to recover my old emails and accounts.
Sorry, I guess our definitions of your made up word, "rando" are different. Either way,

Also, my suggestion did fix the TC's issue. You can argue around that fact among yourselves.
It fixed it for some, not all. You refuse to acknowledge that your suggestions did not work for some people.

Calling you a random isn't disparaging. I wouldn't download a .exe from my best friend and I would certainly tell everyone not to do it as well.
Ahh I c. In that case, thank you for your advice rando.

Lore

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I did listen to everyone. Not everyone is providing enough details, as I stated. This game is 20 years old. For all I or you know a lot of users saying they're having issues could be running a Walmart special from 2002.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

We disagree on some things but I gotta say I strongly agree with you on downloading .exe files. It would have to be a highly reputable and verified app for me to run it. We've seen many high profile companies and government organizations hacked who should have strong security and I just don't go there. Or at least I'm not gonna make it super easy for them to hack me and hopefully they'll move onto the many easier targets ;) No disrespect to the posters of any helpful apps out there which I'm sure are effective and perfectly fine, but it's just not my way :) In some cases these apps can have vulnerabilities the author might not even be aware of. I still use a Blackberry for God's sake :p I downloaded an Ultima Online Classic Client Game App from Electronic Arts that has cost me thousands of dollars over the years ;)

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Playing a little thread necro here, but I've had this come up on a 32_BIT INSTALL of Windows 10 (it was originally a 32-bit Windows 7 computer), and has been doing it off and on since August (at which time this thread had disappeared far into the past).

So, that NTCore patch wouldn't work for me (at least, I don't think it would).

It appears to have only started to occur after the client patches introducing the 21st anniversary material needed for TC, and ever after.

Other than getting a new computer (something I want to do but can't afford currently), any advice?

Spartan

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
It seems that running it as admin does solve the problem...I just tested it by cramming my RAM with a million programs, and the starting UO as an administrator, and it still works... Must be the culprit then... thanks!!
Everything ran fine for me from XP thru Win 8.1. Win 10 screwed up and running as Administrator was the way to go.

You could also try the Troubleshoot Compatibility option which will figure the best settings for whatever you are starting up. I have 2 or 3 items that are Win 7 settings, the rest are Win 8.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Have you tried the ntcore?
NTcore shouldn't apply - it is a fix for a 64-BIT window install running 32-bit programs. I'm using a legacy 32-bit Windows 10 install (it's auto-upgrade was from 32-bit Windows 7). And, I've been running UO as admin since this computer was a Windows 7 machine.

Most of the time I can run UO, but not open a second CC client to trade items between clients (but CAN do it by opening up an EC to trade with the CC). As time goes on since the last computer boot, I start getting client crashes referencing either virtual memory or being unable to play a music file, and after a few of those, I can't restart the CC at all without a reboot.

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
How's your disk space? Windows 10 likes to store old versions so that you can revert later. Low disk space can cause virtual memory errors.

Usually when I see virtual memory errors I upgrade the RAM but I doubt in your case this would help as it is a 32-bit machine and incapable of addressing more than 4 GB of RAM. Can you post the PCs specs? Including free drive space.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
NTcore shouldn't apply - it is a fix for a 64-BIT window install running 32-bit programs. I'm using a legacy 32-bit Windows 10 install (it's auto-upgrade was from 32-bit Windows 7). And, I've been running UO as admin since this computer was a Windows 7 machine.

Most of the time I can run UO, but not open a second CC client to trade items between clients (but CAN do it by opening up an EC to trade with the CC). As time goes on since the last computer boot, I start getting client crashes referencing either virtual memory or being unable to play a music file, and after a few of those, I can't restart the CC at all without a reboot.
So no then...

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
How's your disk space? Windows 10 likes to store old versions so that you can revert later. Low disk space can cause virtual memory errors.

Usually when I see virtual memory errors I upgrade the RAM but I doubt in your case this would help as it is a 32-bit machine and incapable of addressing more than 4 GB of RAM. Can you post the PCs specs? Including free drive space.
Refurbed Dell Optiplex 755
Windows 10 32-bit, 4 GB (3.25 GB usable)
Core2 Duo E8400 3Ghz processor
Primary HDD: 1TB (930 GB), 433 GB used, 496 free
Secondary HDD: 2TB (1.81), 479 GB used, 1.35TB free

Stinky Pete

Babbling Loonie
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Refurbed Dell Optiplex 755
Windows 10 32-bit, 4 GB (3.25 GB usable)
Core2 Duo E8400 3Ghz processor
Primary HDD: 1TB (930 GB), 433 GB used, 496 free
Secondary HDD: 2TB (1.81), 479 GB used, 1.35TB free
Well, it's definitely not a lack of space. What do your virtual memory settings look like? Mine look like this:
upload_2019-1-8_12-24-23.png

celticus

Crazed Zealot
UNLEASHED
I personally feel that I shouldn't have to search for a "fix" for something that (based on the number of players affected) is OBVIOUSLY a problem on UO's end. @Mesanna @Kyronix @Bleak GET THIS FIXED IMMEDIATELY! I suspect more players are considering leaving/scaling down accounts than will EVER be brought in by the "Endless Journey" y'all say y'all spending all your time on.

Also, is it just me, or does it seem like there are more and more glitches in the game all the time?
Yep..This plus the CC and EC client crashing 5-6 times a day, randomly? Give us a f***n break!!
These are particularly annoying issues.

Basara

UO Forum Moderator
Professional
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I had as big as possible paging file set up, and I go back in now to check and it's been reduced down to 3612 AGAIN. Trying to make it bigger again.