• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Order of Picking Abilities/Area Effect/Special Moves

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Can someone please make a post giving the order of how to pick the abilites, magical abilites, area effect, and special moves. And STICKY it !!

Khyro

Sage
Stratics Veteran
There's gotta be a way to list them in an "in general" fashion.
In general:
  • Bottom to top
  • Magic last
Pet's can only have 3 "abilities", but can always train a magical. This creates weird situations where a pet is able to get 4 abilities if they start with no magical ability.

Examples:

Fire Beetle
You want to give your blank slate fire beetle the following: Explosive Goo, Armor Ignore, Rune Corruption, Poisoning.

Correct Order
  1. Explosive Goo
  2. Armor Ignore
  3. Rune Corruption
  4. Poisoning
Since this pet started with no magical, by giving it a magic ability last, you are able to get 4 abilities.

Incorrect Order
  1. Rune Corruption
  2. Poisoning
  3. Explosive Goo
Since you gave the magical ability second, you hit 3 "abilities" once you added Goo, preventing you from being able to train Armor Ignore.

This gets more complicated once you involve pets that come pre-loaded with abilities and/or magical (or multiple magical). If a pet doesn't come pre-loaded with magic, but it has other abilities, it doesn't mean you can still add 3 abilities plus a magic, you have to account for the pre-existing abilities the pet has (which not all of them count against the total ability count). Your best bet on these pets is to get them ready to train, copy to TC, attempt to train them and make sure it works in the order you want.

But general rule of thumb: Bottom to top, Magic last. 2 abilities plus magic if preloaded, or 3 abilities plus magic if it doesn't start with magic.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Also if you want an aoe poison ability and it's not available you have to train the magical ability Poison first.

Eric Ravenwind

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the feedback. But, I don't know what "bottom to top" is. I don't know what ones are on the bottom and the ones on the top.

Secondly, I'm training a Serpentine Dragon. He comes pre-loaded with Dragons Breath, and Magery. Any help here would be great.

Khaelor

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Thanks for the feedback. But, I don't know what "bottom to top" is. I don't know what ones are on the bottom and the ones on the top.

Secondly, I'm training a Serpentine Dragon. He comes pre-loaded with Dragons Breath, and Magery. Any help here would be great.
Dragon breath and magery means you can only pick one additional Special Move OR Area Effect.

Obsidian

Crazed Zealot
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
I’m about to add ai and chiv to my nightmare. I assume the order to add is AI then Chivalry (bottom to top). Correct?

Also, my Magery and Eval skill will then forever remain stuck at its current level. Other than wanting to see a solid line skills maxed, is there any reason to hold off adding the specials when going from level 4 to 5 for this pet? I think I’m ready to make the jump.

SouthPaw

Lore Master
I’m about to add ai and chiv to my nightmare. I assume the order to add is AI then Chivalry (bottom to top). Correct?

Also, my Magery and Eval skill will then forever remain stuck at its current level. Other than wanting to see a solid line skills maxed, is there any reason to hold off adding the specials when going from level 4 to 5 for this pet? I think I’m ready to make the jump.
Yes, that's correct. Armor ignore first, then Chiv.

The magery and eval will decrease by 0.1 every time your pet dies. There's no reason to get these to 100% before training as the pet will never use them once you pick chiv.

Grace of Minoc

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hiryus already have dismount and grasping claw. Can only add one more thing and then a magic.

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I'm not sure yet if I understood it.

Like, the Ossein Ram spawns with 5 abilities: Ossein Ram | uo-cah.com

Does it means we can't train it in any ability?

And if so, why in cah's site it lists many abilities as trainable?

I'm a bit confused.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm not sure yet if I understood it.

Like, the Ossein Ram spawns with 5 abilities: Ossein Ram | uo-cah.com

Does it means we can't train it in any ability?

And if so, why in cah's site it lists many abilities as trainable?

I'm a bit confused.
The Ram has Battle Defense, which gives it paralyze and disarm. But when you put on another magic, Disarm and Paralyze go away.

But since you put a magic and it has Life Leech, you can only put 1 more thing.

So you can add Chiv then AI to a Ram.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
All pets should have the same blank canvas them we would see things besides Tritons an Cu's
I did not make UO so Email someone who does. In the game you and Popps design, you can do that.
The rest of us will learn how to play with what we have.

There are many blank pets, There are other reasons we see so many Cus and Tritons.

I have one or two of almost any pet type.

Last edited:

Amamos

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
The Ram has Battle Defense, which gives it paralyze and disarm. But when you put on another magic, Disarm and Paralyze go away.

But since you put a magic and it has Life Leech, you can only put 1 more thing.

So you can add Chiv then AI to a Ram.

So magic you can always put and it replaces the one the pet had before, but the others categories you can't replace?

Any idea why cah lists some moves as if a pet could learn, even if they already come with one that can't be replaced and thus they can't learn those others?

Thanks

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So magic you can always put and it replaces the one the pet had before, but the others categories you can't replace?

Any idea why cah lists some moves as if a pet could learn, even if they already come with one that can't be replaced and thus they can't learn those others?

Thanks
Not sure what you mean exactly. But I'm guessing.

They have what the pet comes with and need to show that.

Some of the moves you are talking about may come from a mastery.

When you want to make a pet. Make a new thread. Post pics of the lore screens.
Posters will be glad to help.

Deschet

Journeyman
Using the Fire Beetle from post #4 as an example... understand the magical ability has to be picked last, but can the other 3 abilities be picked in any order or ONLY from bottom to top?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Using the Fire Beetle from post #4 as an example... understand the magical ability has to be picked last, but can the other 3 abilities be picked in any order or ONLY from bottom to top?
They did some tweeking at some point. Now you can pick the abilities in any order on some pets, but I would use bottom to top to make sure. Or take them to TC. Every time TC changes, I copy my tamers there, because Copy is down for a while after publishes. Always good to have some fresh pets on a toon that you have on TC all the time.

Deschet

Journeyman
So it seems the abilities have to be selected from top to bottom. Chose Goo, then RC, and wasn't given the choice to pick AI when I went to add it... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So it seems the abilities have to be selected from top to bottom. Chose Goo, then RC, and wasn't given the choice to pick AI when I went to add it... someone please correct me if I'm wrong.
I assume a Fire Beetle.

The chart above:
1655351085614.png

You have to choose from bottom to top.

You went Area, then special ability.

Have to go Area -- Goo
Special move -- AI
Special Ability -- RC

Area is at the bottom of the choices.

When I write what a Pet is I always write in order to choose.

My Beetle has Goo/AI/RC
My Cu has AI/CB/Chiv

Last edited:

Deschet

Journeyman
Correct, bottom to top. Just seems like the previous posts weren't clear on that so I figured I'd share/emphasize. Previous posts made emphasis of saving the magical ability for last if wanting 4 abilities, and states the bottom to top approach as a "rule of thumb" as opposed to the way things NEED to be done. Just sharing my experience.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Correct. Just seems like the previous posts weren't clear on that so I figured I'd share/emphasize. Previous posts made emphasis of saving the magical ability for last if wanting 4 abilities, and states the bottom to top approach as a "rule of thumb" as opposed to the way things NEED to be done. Again, just sharing my experience.
Bottom to top is the rule. You need to do it that way. I'm confused as to why you are confused. pls explain.

Is the order of the Lore page of a finished pet confusing you? The Lore page goes in the same order as the
Training Menu.

1655351910270.png

To put all of those on you need to choose from bottom to top.

Here is the Training menu:

1655352372050.png

Area affects is at the bottom correct?

The finished pet puts the choices in the same order. Magic on top then Special ability if any then special move.

But you do not choose them in the order on the lore page. The lore page does not tell you what you chose first, it goes in its order.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The order on the finished pet does not reflect what I chose first.

1655352730477.png

Bottom to top.

1655352816174.png

Area first
Special Move second
Special Ability third
Magic fourth

The two menus are in the same order not in the order you chose.

Last edited:

Deschet

Journeyman
Bottom to top is the rule. You need to do it that way. I'm confused as to why you are confused. pls explain.

But general rule of thumb: Bottom to top, Magic last. 2 abilities plus magic if preloaded, or 3 abilities plus magic if it doesn't start with magic.
Khyro's post is why I was 'confused'. Bottom to top is not a general rule of thumb, it is how it needs to be done. Until your posts (@Pawain) last night, I don't think it was crystal clear. Got it now. Bottom to top. Appreciate the responses.