ok, there fully trained, now what?

• Thread starter longshanks
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2
  • Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
L

longshanks

i trained up my dread and vollum to gm. in the past when i've done spawns on my tamer i just took a greater dragon out and pretty much left him to his own devices until the third level and than would go over and direct him to the altar or close by to be in position for level 4 and the boss.

yesterday i took the mare/vollum out and i must say what a pain in the posteriror. the dread goes one way the vollum the other and of course both need some healing attention because they aren't the meat sheilds that a greater is.

Spamming all folllow me to try to bring them back to my side was annoying as they would take two steps towards me and than go back to engaging the spawn.

So I'm asking you fine people for some helpful hints to employ a two pet attack with a bit more precision. Anyone do this on a regular basis and what do you find that works well.

This char is red so you can understand why i'd like to have these guys at close hand.

thanks.

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
i trained up my dread and vollum to gm. in the past when i've done spawns on my tamer i just took a greater dragon out and pretty much left him to his own devices until the third level and than would go over and direct him to the altar or close by to be in position for level 4 and the boss.

yesterday i took the mare/vollum out and i must say what a pain in the posteriror. the dread goes one way the vollum the other and of course both need some healing attention because they aren't the meat sheilds that a greater is.

Spamming all folllow me to try to bring them back to my side was annoying as they would take two steps towards me and than go back to engaging the spawn.

So I'm asking you fine people for some helpful hints to employ a two pet attack with a bit more precision. Anyone do this on a regular basis and what do you find that works well.

This char is red so you can understand why i'd like to have these guys at close hand.

thanks.
You might find some different pet control macros help out.

For starters, put a stop command in before your follow one in the macro. That gets the pet to stop fighting to follow you, rather than follow you with 1 eye on the monsters ;) Basically 1 line is the stop command, the second the follow one. I don't find I need a delay between them.

Secondly, especially if you're just using a couple of pets, set up macros for your individual pets to issue common commands by name. Put them right by each other somewhere easy to reach then you'll be able to control things more easily. I have a really basic system where one key represents a certain pet. Hitting the key by itself is my kill button, and I combine it with alt and ctrl for stay and follow commands. I'm a touch typist though so it might be less suitable if you do the hunt n peck thing. I just find that easiest to remember because as long as I know which key the pet is on, I automatically hit ctrl or alt etc as necessary. I have 2 keys to vet the specific pets too.

I found it a bit fiddly remembering the macros for a pack of 5 for the first few runs, but 2 pets it's pretty easy. As long as you have a logical system it shouldn't take long to get used to it. I keep pet healthbars in the same order as my macro keys while I'm learning them.

You'd never guess I have a stack of tamers and too many pets lol.

Wenchy

L

longshanks

thank you very much wenchy.

i will use the all stop all follow macro.

if you'd be so kind to explain how to set up macros specific to that pet i'd be a great help.

is this done using uoa?

kitiara-atlantic

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2004
Harrisonburg, VA
www.uocraft.com
Depending on which client you're using, the macro setup varies slightly - but really, you just need Say macros for each pet.

The way Wenchy describes, something like:

F1 = Say "KillerDragon Kill"
Alt-F1 = Say "KillerDragon Stop", Say "KillerDragon Follow me"
Ctrl-F1 = Say "KillerDragon Stay"

F2 = Say "KillerMare Kill"
Alt-F2 = Say "KillerMare Stop", Say "KillerMare Follow me"
Ctrl-F2 = Say "KillerMare Stay"

and so on for other pets.

L

longshanks

the individual command by pets name didnt work and i found this on uoguide which explains why

Note that you cannot address a pet in any other way then the "all" method if it has a space in it's name. You might consider creating a macro to quickly "say" all the commands you commonly use; these can of course include additional actions if you so choose (such as Hiding!).

unquote

so unless i want to lose the spacing im going with the all stop all follow me macro which is working

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
the individual command by pets name didnt work and i found this on uoguide which explains why

Note that you cannot address a pet in any other way then the "all" method if it has a space in it's name. You might consider creating a macro to quickly "say" all the commands you commonly use; these can of course include additional actions if you so choose (such as Hiding!).

unquote

so unless i want to lose the spacing im going with the all stop all follow me macro which is working
Ah, yes it doesn't work with spaces in the pet's name. However, if you can use the EC, you can put the spaces back in. So I guess you do have that option if you wanted to have better control then get your spaces later ;)

All commands for stop and follow will work ok, you just won't be able to control both pets individually with spaces. Aside from context menus, but that's not really a good fast option hehe.

Wenchy

Wenchkin

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 16, 2008
I've never figured out how to put spaces in with EC! Can you do it after you've already removed spaces?
Yes, though I use Lucis and the rename context menu option doesn't seem to work elsewhere. There's a little button by the pet bar in Lucis that lets you change name, so you can put spaces back in really easily :)

Wenchy

Attachments

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
Could this possibly another pvp'r finding out that pvp'ing with pets isn't as easy as he thought it was going to be? Just couldn't resist... sorry... :)

Vollum and a dread mare - that's an interesting combination, and it allows you to maintain some kind of combat effectiveness even if you are in stat. Smart choice in that way, although a vollum can be very hard to keep alive. Working with pets in spawns is difficult at the best of times, and a pet as squishy as a vollum is even more difficult.

I'll be curious to know how you make out. If you don't mind, I'd appreciate hearing a progress report in a few weeks - whether you've given up on the whole idea, or found a way to make it work.

As for some concrete advice. I haven't read all the posts carefully, so if I'm just repeating what's already been said, my apologies. Just the typical stuff, work in from the edges of the spawn, and don't let yourself get trapped in a swarm. Always carry insured pet balls and be aware of safe areas you can bolt to if you need to.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
I'll just add, one thing that your typical pvp'r doesn't realize is how much a loose pet, such as your vollum, restricts your character's mobility. An out of range pet is typically a dead pet, so if you want to make sure you aren't having to constantly rez your pet, with the attendant skill loss, you have to keep your pet in range, and pets move very slowly.

L

longshanks

i'll gladly reply.

this char is red. his build is meant as a means of combating the zerg. i'm running a mystic tamer wrestle build.

the idea is to run in stone form.
healing includes cleansing winds, heal stone and pots.
running protection off magery joat.
wrestle as a defense chance and a means to disarm/stun.
i run a bola macro off uoa.

the temp has plus/minus.

biggest minus is u get purged by mystic to get u out of form. than ur heals are interrupted.

for spawning it is taking time to work on pet controll. wenchy's macro suggestion works wonders. it's micro management for sure with the two pet combo as if left to there own devices its often one runs north and the other south. I threw an all stop, all follow, all kill in the macro so i can focus them on one target and keep them in the general area. it helps to keep them by your side and let the spawn build up. than release them and hailstorm targeting self.

many pvp'rs disrepsect this temp saying ''all kill no skill' however there's no chivalry in pvp and good players use everything to their advantage. plus like you have said, its not as easy as all kill anyway despite what they say.

its a potent template coming up against dexxers. i have had trouble with a group of knowledgable mystics.

it's been fun though so far. noone is happy when they die and u usually get some colorful language thrown your way. luckily i dont speak dead so i can't understand them unless they spout off in global.

i'm not in factions so i'd let others opine on the benefits of this still being usable while in stat.

make no mistake though, i built this template for pvp. if i was going to use it to spawn i would just run a greater dragon and be done.

J

[JD]

you cant pvp effectively without a mount or mount speed. being in stoneform will prevent quick mounts and dismounts as well as prevent ninja forms if you ever get ninja. stoneform is better for stationary battles like at bases, halls/standoffs, or when you have a lot of protection of others around you.

people will aggro your pets and offscreen to kill them, or to allow someone else to attack without you having your pets. you also won't be able to chase anyone down after you got them to a sliver of life.

i tried being a garg and using a dread warhorse+2 slot pet combo for the dmg output, it just doesn't work as well as it sounds. if you are going to use a dread, you need it to be mountable both for mobility and to keep it safe until you unleash it.

i don't want to discourage you from trying a new template, but just keep these things in mind. it sounds awesome for 1v1, but one rarely gets a 1v1 any more.

Llewen

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
many pvp'rs disrepsect this temp saying ''all kill no skill' however there's no chivalry in pvp and good players use everything to their advantage. plus like you have said, its not as easy as all kill anyway despite what they say.
Most pvp'rs don't realize how much skill it takes to play a tamer well in pvp, and how much fun they can be. I personally love schooling typical pvp'rs who try to copy my template and playstyle. The only tamers I typically have difficulty with are archer/tamers and a few very well played dexxer/tamers.

And actually, I think tamers can not only be fun to play, but they are fun to play against. I've had some amazing one on one battles with pvp'rs, some of which have lasted for 20 min+, and at the end, no matter who finally won, we both had fun.