• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Oceania Economy - Open for Discussion

Isaac OC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
An interesting topic for me that I would like to share with all, perhaps it may intrigue some "economist" out there to explain how the economy's inner working works for Ultima Online, especially in Oceania.

After giving a thought overnight, a visio and an UO background to give the touch and feel of UO. I come up with this chart.

Hunters:
1. pvpers hunt power scrolls
2. pvmers hunt artifacts / rares
3. farmers hunt resources (leather, imbuing ingreds)

Crafters:
1. tailors/blacksmiths/carpenters the like, use resources to make craftable items, eg. armors, weapons, furnitures.

Collectors:
1. almost all collect one sort, deco rares, high-end armors/weapons

Traders:
1. some of us can be traders, we farm, we craft, then put our craftables on vendors, which then makes us a trader.
2. some may only craft, buying all their ingredients from traders, imbue them, use the gears in pvp, hunt powerscrolls or rares, then put them in vendors, which also makes them as traders.

This is then comes to, how do you fit into the UO society?

E

El_Cid

An interesting topic for me that I would like to share with all, perhaps it may intrigue some "economist" out there to explain how the economy's inner working works for Ultima Online, especially in Oceania.

After giving a thought overnight, a visio and an UO background to give the touch and feel of UO. I come up with this chart.

Hunters:
1. pvpers hunt power scrolls
2. pvmers hunt artifacts / rares
3. farmers hunt resources (leather, imbuing ingreds)

Crafters:
1. tailors/blacksmiths/carpenters the like, use resources to make craftable items, eg. armors, weapons, furnitures.

Collectors:
1. almost all collect one sort, deco rares, high-end armors/weapons

Traders:
1. some of us can be traders, we farm, we craft, then put our craftables on vendors, which then makes us a trader.
2. some may only craft, buying all their ingredients from traders, imbue them, use the gears in pvp, hunt powerscrolls or rares, then put them in vendors, which also makes them as traders.

This is then comes to, how do you fit into the UO society?
Well like most im a mix of a few of those mainly

Crafter- I have always enjoyed working crafting skills, all the back to when I started in 99 getting pked for a few ingots lol. I know its boring for alot of people but I like it

Collector- Yeah thats me espicially prime real estate, probably a holdover from when getting a good spot in felluca days was near impossible

Hunter - too a degree even with insurance In the back of my mind always adverse to risk, old habits die hard

Trader - been waiting to get a vendor house up, should be soon as I have found someone to decorate it for me.

What about you OP?

Isaac OC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thank you for your comment El_Cid :)

I guess some people may be all rounders, they do all four roles, with some "intensity" or priorities in certain role. Myself, I probably have less time spent on my "hunter" role, but more on "collector" roles.

I would say eventually people's role shift in their UO life, from being a farmer (resource hunter - time intensive), then spend more time on craftings (less time intensive), collecting rares, then tradings (while still doing the other 3 roles in balance).

Then i come up with this new chart :) I love charts :lol:

I would say, population does really contribute to the "quite" economy of Oceania. Out of interest, I'm taking 2 other economies which I think (or assumed):
1. Sakura (produces lots of resources, hence cheaper and abundant quantities. It is also a cross trader heaven, which people resell their resources back in Atlantic for huge margin. (green on hunters and resources)
2. Atlantic has high purchasing power, maybe due to time is money perception where people don't mind to fork real money for in-game golds, or there are more collectors out there that like to spend money. (green on collectors and money)
3. Oceania ... we only play here because it's the fastest and no lag. So really, there's no alternative.

Am I being sceptic? :) Perhaps I was wrong, lots of people said, Oceania people are much nicer so it's a more friendly society.

The next thing will be slightly confusing, but I would say:
1. Atlantic (5000 people): 60% collecting (3000 money), 10% hunting (500 resources), 30% crafting (1500 craftables)
2. Sakura (5000 people): 60% hunting (3000 resources), 20% collecting (1000 money), 20% crafting (1000 craftables).
3. Oceania (200 people): 60% crafting (120 craftables), 20% hunting (40 resources), 20% collecting (40 money).

So Oceania has less purchasing power, and little resource ! while Sakura exports its resources to Atlantic to tap on their high money.

Oceania probably should start exporting "high-quality" craftables :)

E

El_Cid

Thank you for your comment El_Cid :)

I guess some people may be all rounders, they do all four roles, with some "intensity" or priorities in certain role. Myself, I probably have less time spent on my "hunter" role, but more on "collector" roles.

I would say eventually people's role shift in their UO life, from being a farmer (resource hunter - time intensive), then spend more time on craftings (less time intensive), collecting rares, then tradings (while still doing the other 3 roles in balance).

Then i come up with this new chart :) I love charts :lol:

I would say, population does really contribute to the "quite" economy of Oceania. Out of interest, I'm taking 2 other economies which I think (or assumed):
1. Sakura (produces lots of resources, hence cheaper and abundant quantities. It is also a cross trader heaven, which people resell their resources back in Atlantic for huge margin. (green on hunters and resources)
2. Atlantic has high purchasing power, maybe due to time is money perception where people don't mind to fork real money for in-game golds, or there are more collectors out there that like to spend money. (green on collectors and money)
3. Oceania ... we only play here because it's the fastest and no lag. So really, there's no alternative.

Am I being sceptic? :) Perhaps I was wrong, lots of people said, Oceania people are much nicer so it's a more friendly society.

The next thing will be slightly confusing, but I would say:
1. Atlantic (5000 people): 60% collecting (3000 money), 10% hunting (500 resources), 30% crafting (1500 craftables)
2. Sakura (5000 people): 60% hunting (3000 resources), 20% collecting (1000 money), 20% crafting (1000 craftables).
3. Oceania (200 people): 60% crafting (120 craftables), 20% hunting (40 resources), 20% collecting (40 money).

So Oceania has less purchasing power, and little resource ! while Sakura exports its resources to Atlantic to tap on their high money.

Oceania probably should start exporting "high-quality" craftables :)
Yes I have made a steady migration Nappa>Pacific>Oceania. I do find many things here hard to find I just keep hitting all the vendors I can find. I also import stuff on occasion from Pac, mostly Artis and scrolls for personal use. Do you think its wise to start looking in Sakura instead? Never have played any of the asian shards or ATL

Isaac OC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are some sites that allow you to check what items available on luna vendors, or you can just visit luna complex direct on each shard.

Generally, Japan shards have cheaper resources, but most advance traders know the way on how to tap more money by xfering them to atlantic.

Hence those abundant resource supply in atlantic, I would say they are not farmed from Atlantic land, they are from Japan shards.

E

El_Cid

There are some sites that allow you to check what items available on luna vendors, or you can just visit luna complex direct on each shard.

Generally, Japan shards have cheaper resources, but most advance traders know the way on how to tap more money by xfering them to atlantic.

Hence those abundant resource supply in atlantic, I would say they are not farmed from Atlantic land, they are from Japan shards.
Quite interesting to look at it from an overall economic standpoint, kind of like the r/l country by country flow of resources, interesting topic :thumbup1:

F

Fink

I'm no economist but I think you left out service providers.

Isaac OC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say service providers are each profession's role. For example:

A trader will provide a service to deliver goods in return for money from collectors.

A "red" hunter will provide a service of "killing" scripting miner so no-one else can turn him/her in for in-game violation, in return for ingot loots in body :)

So i would say the model should already cover service providers role.

D

dum3886

I believe services r normally considered non-transferables when it comes to economics as it is considered uneconomical for it to usually happen. Consider hiring a hair stylist to fly from paris to do your hair in Australia... for 99.999999% of the world they jst can't afford this and its just stupid... same goes for crafting in UO... who will pay the transfer price when u can get a service provider in their own shard (and due to the limits of the game they would be able to provide the same services too lol).

F

Fink

I think the money part should stem from Hunters rather than Collectors.

Collectors don't actually introduce money into the economy, they just move it around. Hunters directly generate gold by killing monsters, opening chests, etc. Non-hunters can generate gold via certain quests, but the overwhelming majority of gold comes from loot.

Isaac OC

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
good point, Fink :) gold is "technically" due to the result of hunting. But I guess, then you put a "role" mask on when using it. "trader" mask when you use it to buy people's scrolls and re-sell them.

You'll end up with "more" gold, which if you keep on doing, which if you decide to retain this level of gold, you can choose to use the "collector" mask, to be a "gold" collector.

also a well thought from dum3886. Although the transfer price, or any service price in UO, sometime is gauged with "real-world" cost. Let's say a transfer token ($19.99 from uogamecodes or 18m-25m in-game money) for a price of "importing" goods from other shard, which is a relatively low cost if you consider the amounts of items you can transfer, 5 horse packs (125 items each), bank box and bag-pack, for items that you can't find locally in Oceania.

F

Fink

Well yes, people trade currency for goods & services, that's the idea of it. Otherwise we'd have to barter one product for another.

I mean nobody actually mints coins. They come from monsters. You can "make money" by buying low and selling high, trading rares, crafts, resources, whatever.. but you're not actually introducing more gold into the economy, just exchanging it. What's meant by "making money" is either making other people's money yours, or literally counterfeiting.

The "physical" gold is mostly coming from pvm hunting (everything from mongbats to champs), with a tiny portion coming from selling stuff to NPCs or taking quests. I would count gold among the resources that hunters generate, rather than something collectors create.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
interesting thread. Agree with fink 100%.

But on the topic about economy. EA introducing x sharding ruined the economy game wide. Imho, Oceania would still be thriving if it didnt exist

F

Fink

interesting thread. Agree with fink 100%.

But on the topic about economy. EA introducing x sharding ruined the economy game wide. Imho, Oceania would still be thriving if it didnt exist
Is stuff usually shipped off-shard to Atlantic? That would explain the empty shops.

D

Dain

Is stuff usually shipped off-shard to Atlantic? That would explain the empty shops.
I would say almost all Artifacts, Rares (especially old EM), Power scrolls, Stat Scrolls and SoT are transfered to American servers for selling.

But I would say Oceania imports most of its bulk goods like ingots, board, imbuing materials etc.

Clog|Mordain

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would say almost all Artifacts, Rares (especially old EM), Power scrolls, Stat Scrolls and SoT are transfered to American servers for selling.

But I would say Oceania imports most of its bulk goods like ingots, board, imbuing materials etc.
QFT.

I have imported 1000s of imbuing goods

F

Fink

QFT.

I have imported 1000s of imbuing goods
Do you hoard these for personal use, or on-sell locally?

P

PoCove

I have found that we on Oceania do not produce enough to resell .. I tried .. So I have went to Atlanta or other shards to buy bulk ( cause it is available)there ... I am a colector mostly and a hunter .. ..Lately it has been My vendors and rare collecting ...