• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Tirnua: Luc Barthelet's Brave New World

C

culbert123

I'm being cautiously optimistic. I'd like to know what the game will be about before I get more rah-rah, but I'm interested to see what Luc and the gang come up with.

You have to figure that the devs knew that the writing was on the wall with TSO/EA Land for the last year or so, so who's to say that they haven't been planning Tirnua for some time now?

:popcorn:

F

Fire Dragon

I just can't see how anyone can get excited over a name and a blog that says they will start blogging soon. There is no info about what the game may be about. All this hype, over nothing really.. Very strange to me.

G

Gilly

I just can't see how anyone can get excited over a name and a blog that says they will start blogging soon. There is no info about what the game may be about. All this hype, over nothing really.. Very strange to me.
It *is* a little...um...quirky?, but since so many TSO players have not found a game niche' as comfortable for them as the one we are losing, it is understandable that they would want to encourage the team (several of them at least) that helped bring us the original game.

We do not know the exact direction Tirnua is taking, but we do know what type of game Luc and the team were trying to create in EAL, and so, we hope and trust that we will be getting a better TSO.....or if something different, one that still provides the type of game and community we all so valued in TSO.

The blog says that they are making presentations to money folk, and it can only help, to have a growing and active fan base, to support their efforts to get off the ground.

Honestly, the way EA Games has treated us and continues to treat us, I think we all should join the Tirnua cheerleading squad, and help them succeed, any way we can, if for no other reason than to make EA look bad for losing all of them.....and us.
:thumbup1:

C

culbert123

Honestly, the way EA Games has treated us and continues to treat us, I think we all should join the Tirnua cheerleading squad, and help them succeed, any way we can, if for no other reason than to make EA look bad for losing all of them.....and us.
As Jackiee might say, Word!

:cheerleader:

G

Gilly

They are planning to blog almost everyday with info on the game.

Today's blog (Link):

Art Pipeline
June 26th, 2008
Now that the blog is in place, we will start posting almost every day. We have a lot to tell you, and we need your help.

One key goal of Tirnua, is to have the users build the content, and specifically the 3D content. At the same time, we cannot require you to purchase expensive software tools like 3D Studio Max, or Maya.

So in Tirnua we will have two levels of custom content. The first one and most accessible to all will be in Tirnua itself, where we will have editors to create content, and the second one, using external tools to add further content in the game. My goal is that 100% of the users will use the Tirnua editors, while about 5% of the users will add content using external tools.

We started to call the basic graphic object in Tirnua the “TOG”s for Tirnua Object Graphic. TOGs are created by the external pipeline while the Tirnua editors, are more about assembling TOGs together. An assembly of TOGs is still a TOG. All TOGs are tradable between users.

Our art pipeline for creating content will be the same pipeline available to all of you. If you think you will be making TOGs, here are 2 key tools you can download today and make yourself familiar with.

We are currently using GIMP for editing bitmaps,

and BLENDER for the 3D editing. Blender user’s interface is challenging to say the least, but there are dozens of videos in YouTube to help you learn it.

When we create add-ons or tools for ourselves, we will publish them on our site.

Thank you so much for your comments and support, it does mean a lot to us.

Have a great day,

Luc

P.S.: not everyone agree that the name TOG is cool! Plus some TOGs will not have graphics in them so why do we have the G? Please be smarter than us and suggest a nice name we can use to replace TOG, or convince us that TOGs are cool.

--------------------------------

Sounds like a lot like EAL's Custom Content, but with the basic content manipulation tools, more available/accessible to the majority? :)

PS I like TOGs ;D

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was starting to worry we were getting a FB kind of thing, this post makes me feel better. Very exciting stuff! I rather like TOGS too. :D

T

Takeru Ijitsu

I can't wait to start seeing more about Tirnua... I wonder if we'll eventually get a board of our own? That way we can talk about these topics once TSO (sob) is down? I am excited about what they plan on doing! We have so many creative people here in TSO, I can't imagine the New World being any less creative.

I alread know what my frist object will be; a 50' high Simmy-like with a house symbol on it. :3

...maybe 500'

A

ajdown@jp

We do not know the exact direction Tirnua is taking, but we do know what type of game Luc and the team were trying to create in EAL
Indeed we do know what they were trying to do with "EA-Land" ... God help us all.

T

Takeru Ijitsu

Indeed we do know what they were trying to do with "EA-Land" ... God help us all.

No, I think we found out what EA wanted from "EA-Land." And lets face it; we all knew something fishy was going on. However, departing from EA may be something that we can view as a... umm... 'disagreement' over EA's treatment of EA-land.

Either way...

:sad4:

M

MonkeyPantz

lets stop thinking about the closing of Ea-Land and lets move on to TirNua ! .. :D

A

ajdown@jp

lets stop thinking about the closing of Ea-Land and lets move on to TirNua ! .. :D
Before even contemplating giving Tirnua any space on my hard drive, I'd rather get some information about what the game actually is.

Until that, I can't get excited in the slightest.

I also cannot figure out how anyone else, given no information about it except a name, and a few ex-EA Land programmers are involved, can get excited either.

I know the cheerleaders don't worry about little facts like that ... but it is rather disconcerting to see people falling over themselves to 'big up' Luc and the crew when they don't know a thing about what is coming.

S

Spaghetti Legs

I know the cheerleaders don't worry about little facts like that ... but it is rather disconcerting to see people falling over themselves to 'big up' Luc and the crew when they don't know a thing about what is coming.
I know the doomsdayers/persecution complexers/people with chips on their shoulders do worry about little facts like that ... but it is heartwarming to see people falling over themselves to 'big up' Luc and the crew when they have faith and hope about what is coming.

fixed

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I know the doomsdayers/persecution complexers/people with chips on their shoulders do worry about little facts like that ... but it is heartwarming to see people falling over themselves to 'big up' Luc and the crew when they have faith and hope about what is coming.

fixed
:thumbup:

P

Polly

Before even contemplating giving Tirnua any space on my hard drive, I'd rather get some information about what the game actually is.

Until that, I can't get excited in the slightest.

I also cannot figure out how anyone else, given no information about it except a name, and a few ex-EA Land programmers are involved, can get excited either.

For me its simple, its about liking and admiring the work someone has done before, hearing that they're working on something new and looking forward to getting the opportunity to see what they've been working on.

A bit like when you hear your favourite author is about to publish a new book. You might not have any idea about the new storyline, but based on how much you have enjoyed reading all their previous books, you look forward to reading it and rush out to buy it the second its released.

Polly

A

ajdown@jp

For me its simple, its about liking and admiring the work someone has done before, hearing that they're working on something new and looking forward to getting the opportunity to see what they've been working on.
Fair enough.

I didn't like the first book, and am not rushing out to buy the second if its going to just be as bad as the first.

EA-Land, if it was a book, would probably be Dianetics.

C

Cherri Bear

fixed
:cheerleader:

Mavric

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I can understand AJ's thoughts and I lean more to his way of thinkings about Tirnua, but why kick people off the band wagon?
We should be letting people get excited if it makes them feel better about TSO closing, and not trying to bring them down.
Hmmmm, maybe it's time for one of those group hug things. :grouphug: and a round of :pint:

Mavric

F

fajjaa

I think philosophies are at different ends of the spectrum when you try to compare Luc's attempt to save a game that was already on EA's chopping block, with goals that were never going to satisfy EA's upper management, and now trying to compare that mess to a personal goal of making a game that he knows will include much more updated technology right from the start, along with members of a team that already know what the basic ideas are going to be.
Criticising Luc's job of trying to make some very ungrateful bosses happy, while his hands were basically tied behind his back, and before he even has an outline of his future game in print for us to analyze, only explains your perception of not wanting to let someone use their ability to use technology to create a completely new gaming experience with the help of a few hundred hard core players that know what we want in a game, along with his web access ideas planted in the game to further increase the games population as well as its popularity.
Your judgemental criticism is a tad bit early at this stage. But at least you are setting some very low expectations that shouldnt be too hard to excede. So you should be one of the very first extremely satisfied customers. :stir:

P

Polly

Fair enough.

I didn't like the first book, and am not rushing out to buy the second if its going to just be as bad as the first.
Oh how strange, I seem to remember you were an avid cheerleader for TSO back in the day. If the old archives were to hand, I'm sure we'd find many many many posts you made back then when you were so addicted to TSO. I still remember the one about the shelf over your bath so you could continue to play on the laptop while you took a bath ....

How strange that you paid to play for so many years when all along you didn't like what you were playing.

Your bitterness to EA aside, it was Luc, Lee and Greg that developed the original game - that one that you couldn't bear to log out of, just to take a bath.

Once upon a time ago, as a team they developed something that has given many of us enjoyment and pleasure for half a decade. That is the reason I'm looking forward to seeing what they develop next. Who knows, it might not end up being something that I enjoy, might not be my bag at all, until that time comes, I'll keep an open mind and look forward to the opportunity of finding out.

Polly

K

Katheryne

Fair enough.

EA-Land, if it was a book, would probably be Dianetics.
Fair enough; but consider also the publishers involved. Same author, two different publishers. If the first publisher royally screws up the first book, you can't completely blame the author. Now that he's now his own publisher, I believe the next book will be a far better product.

A

ajdown@jp

How strange that you paid to play for so many years when all along you didn't like what you were playing.
I wasn't playing anything else online at the time. TSO was my first online game. To put it in simple terms, "I didn't know any better". I bought into the "'#1 house" rat race, although it was much harder for me than many for the simple reason that I wasn't overriding timeout or any of the myriad other cheats that most of my competitors were using. Having said that, over those years, I made top 5 in everything except Romance - which I purposely avoided because I felt it inappropriate.

Then, people were posting all about Second Life everywhere. People were raving about it. So I thought I'd best go have a look so I could at least give an informed response as to why TSO was better.

I looked. I was shocked. TSO wasn't better. Here was the flexibility I'd been looking for all that time, the ability to really customise everything around you (which, if you recall, was the biggest attraction of offline Sims that EA failed to bring over until it was far too late) and more importantly, no pointless greening cycles or worrying about money - because there were no goals in the same way. Sure, there were idiots, cheaters, the equivalent of "payouts" but you were actually able to get by without worrying about it affecting your gameplay as it did so much in TSO.

I went down from 4 accounts, to 2 accounts.

On another SL forum, I came across a group of people who I enjoyed playing with, and they introduced me to World of Warcraft. Again, I was overwhelmed by the impressive true 3D graphics, immersive roleplay, diversity of goals and opportunities. I was hooked.

I went down to 1 account. Barely logged in to TSO, because it just felt like I'd outgrown it.

I then decided if I'm enjoying building in SL, why not sell my skills to help those who can't? I started my own company, and I'm now working part time for one other guy and bringing home almost $700 real money extra month from it.

There was no time left for TSO. So I dropped down to a free account as soon as it came in, because I knew that its days were numbered. Yes, I lost a great rare plot and about §5 million ... but it was just a matter of time before the 90 day notice came, and it was no surprise to me when it did.

Yes, I have a lot to be thankful to TSO for - I've made some great friends through it, many of whom I'm still in contact with outside of the game. But maybe I don't feel the 'hurt' that many do about its demise because TSO is no longer my life. I've got other online - and offline - interests now, including enturbulation :)

I'll log in on the last day, as I said I would years ago, to watch the final 15 minute countdown. Maybe I'll shed a tear as my pixellated alter ego dies... I don't know... but nothing is forever.

Maybe Tirnua will be absolutely amazing, the best thing since sliced bread, and a groundbreaking experience ... but right now, I just can't get excited about something that none of us outside of Luc's office really know anything about.

F

fajjaa

A very well said rebuttal. I guess enturbulating can bring out that side of you as well. Congratulations on your success in SL. If you were to take the financial gains away from your gaming experiences, I think you would still have to come back to your roots, and agree that there is no comparison to your TSO's addiction you once, must have had.
Congratulations on your confusing state left from your Scientology experience. I hope one day that the peace that surpasses all understanding will become a motivation force for you one day, for you as well as everyone else that loves this game.
I try not to force my faith on anyone, but your mentioning Scientology should allow me to give Christianity a say.

G

Gilly

New posting on the TirNua blog:
Graphics needed!
June 30th, 2008
I am working on our content pipeline, in hope of creating our first interactive experience quickly.

I would really appreciate if some of you would create

1) some floor tiles, that I could start to use to lay out some room, interior and exterior. Like ground, grass, sidewalk, etc

2) some exterior plants, trees, bushes etc..

You can email me (the first part of my email is just luc…) the blender files for the moment since we do not have upload of custom content yet.

In blender, the unit is meters, and I need each tile to be 1×1 meter. trees and plants could be from 1×1 to 4×4 and all intermediate combinations.

Margaret will probably give you feedback on art direction if needed.

Cheers,

Luc
What do you all make of this? "...in hope of creating our first interactive experience quickly."

Is Luc about to make hash out of our pessimism on how soon we would have anything public to play with????

Opinions?:popcorn:

M

MARCIN2006

I agree.

To me it looks like Luc and his team have already made one big mistake. They announced the game, but never gave any description as to what it will be about other than the environment.

Game developers usually give a short description of their product which gives players a few hints on what the game will be, how game play will be like and what the game is focused around. This helps slowly build a community of anxious players.

If you look at the comments on his blog, they are all TSO players....! No one else, Luc should also consider getting the game listed on MMORPG.com, as under development to get more interest in the game.

G

Gilly

I agree.

To me it looks like Luc and his team have already made one big mistake. They announced the game, but never gave any description as to what it will be about other than the environment.

Game developers usually give a short description of their product which gives players a few hints on what the game will be, how game play will be like and what the game is focused around. This helps slowly build a community of anxious players.

If you look at the comments on his blog, they are all TSO players....! No one else, Luc should also consider getting the game listed on MMORPG.com, as under development to get more interest in the game.
I am just speculating, of course, but I would suspect that he is going to go the route that was soo successful in promoting EAL....namely by using the word-of-mouth grapevine that is Facebook and MySpace. It is certainly cheap enough (free), proven effective, and gives access to a wider audience than just, displaced TSOers, to build curiousity.

That last blog post also makes wonder if he means to have some kind of teaser (like the Spore Creator) in place to entice support, before he makes a big game world announcement?

A

ajdown@jp

I try not to force my faith on anyone, but your mentioning Scientology should allow me to give Christianity a say.
Neither am I forcing my faith on anyone - just joining in with thousands around the world exposing the lies of a dangerous cult and having some fun with it. And cake.

But this discussion is for another place.

M

Milton

But this discussion is for another place.

Well said. Let's make this thread less about Second Life, AJ, and his bathroom habits (that was TMI) and more about "Tirnua: Luc Barthelet's Brave New World".

Someone mentioned Luc's "mistake" of annoucing the name without at least a brief description. The way I see it, the mistake would have been giving a description. So far, he hasn't limited himself or us in what the game can become.

M

MARCIN2006

It looks like the game is going to be something similar to TSO. With the pic that they posted on the blog today. I was hoping for some game to have similair features but I dont want it to be too similiar, I hope it has some greater action in the game.

P

Polly

This part of today's blog post really caught my eye ...

As I explained in a previous post, we are not expecting most users to use Blender. 90% of the users will be creating content using tools found in Tirnua, and I expect those tools will be easier than those in Second Life
I really hope that it will be unlimited in terms of what we can build, particularly if the tools are expected to be very simple to use.

Polly

P

Polly

In case you don't read the comments on the blog ....

In response to a question asked, Luc gave some more details:

Luc Says:
July 3rd, 2008 at 4:07 am Cherry, I will post more about this in the future but the quick answers are:
1) We will have a simulation and therefore a game above the simulation. The center of the simulation will be ecology and ecosystems.
2) the business model will be about building a user to user economy and charging for the upload of custom content (to compensate for the cost of the servers). There will probably be subscriptions to enable users to get a better rate.

G

Gilly

This does sound very promising....it the game tools are easy enough to use, that they expect 90% of the players to use them, then we should have a very dynamic world in TirNua.:thumbup:

I am hoping that the TOGs will not just be for static items but also flexible enough to allow players to create mini-games (such as carnival rides, murder mysteries, game shows, etc.) for the game/world, like they were talking about on the Wiki.

C

culbert123

New news from Lee on the tirnua blog!
----------------------------------------------------
July 3, 2008 Update to Website
July 4th, 2008
Hi,

I’ll be keeping the community informed when ever we make changes. In a short while, I will be taking down the website to bring the following additons.

New homepage, favicon, and team overview page.

User requested improvements to the blog such as show post author and show number of posts per month.

For the main event we have launched our Community Wiki which is place for you to collaborate on designs, share information, and upload images.

Sorry we do not have consolidated accounts yet. To upload images and edit pages you will need to register on the Wiki.

Cheers,

Lee

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Grr the blog wont let me login!

Tried having it send me the PW and its not in the email. *pouts*

C

CBrewton5

Fair enough; but consider also the publishers involved. Same author, two different publishers. If the first publisher royally screws up the first book, you can't completely blame the author. Now that he's now his own publisher, I believe the next book will be a far better product.

I agree 100% and I do blame EA, at the very least like 95%, but the thing that got me worried was reading on the blog about getting 'investors' involved. I pray that Luc et al won't get involved with another bigwig EAwannabe company that will insist on having 'final say' in things, and as someone else said, nix an idea that is really creative and loved by the community. After weeks to think about it, and initially honestly wondering if Luc's leaving EA was the final nail in TSO/EAL's coffin, I realize that it couldn't have been.....EA really never did give TSO a second chance the way they should have. EA wanted Luc et al to get subscribers in, so alot of us campaigned for that until we were blue in the face, but in actuality anybody with any business knowledge knows that it takes money to make money. That's also why Luc et al are seeking investors, but I'm on the edge of my seat just hoping that they are the right investors, ie will allow Luc to retain control and power whilst they get a vote, or they will be in line with Luc's way of thinking. If that happens, then I can see alot of potential in TirNua. I am pretty sure Luc has enough common sense not to 'get in bed' with another form of EA.....I just hope I'm right. :eyes:

A

ajdown@jp

EA wanted Luc et al to get subscribers in, so alot of us campaigned for that until we were blue in the face, but in actuality anybody with any business knowledge knows that it takes money to make money. That's also why Luc et al are seeking investors, but I'm on the edge of my seat just hoping that they are the right investors, ie will allow Luc to retain control and power whilst they get a vote, or they will be in line with Luc's way of thinking.
Investors in these kind of things are known as Venture Capitalists, but they are generally known as Vulture Capitalists.

They couldn't care less what the product is, or in this case its community, all they see is a promised % return on their investment over a certain period, and take the risk. It's more down to whether a company can spin and project enough data at them to persuade them to part with their cash, more than anything else.

If anyone thinks that investors are wanting to provide 'us' with a great new game... think again... it's all about the benjamins, as I believe they say in the US.

C

CBrewton5

Investors in these kind of things are known as Venture Capitalists, but they are generally known as Vulture Capitalists.

They couldn't care less what the product is, or in this case its community, all they see is a promised % return on their investment over a certain period, and take the risk. It's more down to whether a company can spin and project enough data at them to persuade them to part with their cash, more than anything else.

If anyone thinks that investors are wanting to provide 'us' with a great new game... think again... it's all about the benjamins, as I believe they say in the US.
Yeah but you say that like it's a bad thing, and I don't think it would be. If Luc, Lee (and Greg?) can talk these gus out of their wallets AND the guys will STFU at the same time and let them have full creative control then based on ideas Luc already had for TSO/EAL, I see full potential. What would squash that potential is either 'too many cooks' (as happened with EA) or loss of interest by the development team. The man is building his OWN company, so I don't think the latter will happen. If the investors are of the mindset that you say, then neither will the former, and long live TirNua, IMO.

Overall, I join the others who are guardedly optimistic. I don't have enough information to oogle, but I know enough about former plans to be intrigued and hope and pray that they are included in the new framework. Time will tell but as far as villians go and someone to be resentful and angry at the only ones to be blamed for the rolling cluster**** that was EAL is EA themselves.

D

Donavan

Interesting reading.

I'm cautiously optomistic about the type of game this may be, and how it will be put together. :popcorn:

But the bigger question is: Will there be booze????? :confused:

Pirates notwithstanding, you need more than rum and little umbrellas to make a "Mongolian Cluster [censored]" :grouphug: :thumbup:

(apologies to George Carlin. :bowdown: )

A

ajdown@jp

The man is building his OWN company
But he will always be known as 'Luc Barthelet, the guy who killed TSO', regardless of whether people want to blame it on EA or not. He was the one in charge of the project, so ultimately he has to take the rap for his and his teams failure to deliver their promises.

As a result, I can never trust him again, so whatever Tirnua may turn out to be, it's unlikely that I will bother trying it out.

M

Milton

But he will always be known as 'Luc Barthelet, the guy who killed TSO'
I don't know, AJ. With the way you always talked down TSO and never missed a chance to tell everyone on the TSO forums how wonderful SL is, I think you could easily wear the title of "the guy who killed TSO."

Don't forget Luc is also known as the guy who saved TSO before it was ever released. I don't know all the details of whatever happened in the last 16 months - especially the last 3 or 4 - so I think it would be unfair of me to assume it was Luc's failure and not EA's.

D

Donavan

Actually there are many clues as to what TirNua will be.

Lets just say TirNua stands for something ;)
Hmmmm..... lessee... :scholar:

The irrevelant radio Needs ur attention.
That's prolly not it. :(

The increasingly rational Nobleman understands arithmetic.
Nope. :(

Two idiots read Newspapers under Alabama.
Good grief. :mf_prop:

The internet's really New underwater activity.
Eureka!!!!!! :thumbup:

L

LordDeath

I am soo out of touch! But this is cool. I signed up and will be posting to the wiki.

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know, AJ. With the way you always talked down TSO and never missed a chance to tell everyone on the TSO forums how wonderful SL is, I think you could easily wear the title of "the guy who killed TSO."

Don't forget Luc is also known as the guy who saved TSO before it was ever released. I don't know all the details of whatever happened in the last 16 months - especially the last 3 or 4 - so I think it would be unfair of me to assume it was Luc's failure and not EA's.

F

fajjaa

If there is a dollar to be made, will AJ be able to stay away from Luc's new game with his creative CC, SL abilities. Will he be in the shadows?

NikiKing

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yes, unless it meets his personal agenda to post as much negative press as possible so he can say he killed 2 of Luc's games.

T

TSOTori

I'm curious to see if we may know anyone else on his "already committed team"...... :popcorn:
Yes! Lee Fancey is there! Woot! :party: Parizad isnt there... yet... ? lol Hopefully she will join them when she's done with EA :rant2: $#@%^#@ Company!

Yup yup! I'm ready for some action now! :popcorn: LOL

T

TSOTori

But he will always be known as 'Luc Barthelet, the guy who killed TSO', regardless of whether people want to blame it on EA or not. He was the one in charge of the project, so ultimately he has to take the rap for his and his teams failure to deliver their promises.

As a result, I can never trust him again, so whatever Tirnua may turn out to be, it's unlikely that I will bother trying it out.

Well that ain't gonna hurt me none! We don't need people like you in this game anyway AJ - so good ridance to yah! :loser: