• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

[NEWS] Fairground Design Contest

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Siegers! Here is your opportunity to create a lasting impression on the shard. Each shard is receiving a fair grounds, and we get to build our own! EM Quantum is hosting a design contest. Submissions must be received by August 15th.

More details here:

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have no design in mind but given that they are going to put a permanent gate to and from the fair, I would say perhaps it should be put on ice isle so all the housing there could be accessed easily from the mainland:).

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there an area there you could put it that isn't already covered by houses?

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It's up to the winning designer. Choosing the location is part of the design.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This sounds interesting. After the bank design contest, I realized how little creativity I actually possess when it comes to design. But I still want to try!

I have no mental image of a Fairground. Well, not totally true- I have an image of the local 4-H fairgrounds, but I'm not sure that would fit into the world of UO. What would Siege Fairgrounds have?

Stables?
Jousting Lanes?
Dueling Pits?
Food and Beverage Stands?

As far as location, the article states Luna, so I take that as someone near Luna.

Despite the fact that I should not devote time to this contest, I am going to!

N49ATV

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah that would be good. I need something to do when Im in camp.

Also it doesnt say how big the fairgrounds are. Id like to build one that completely wipes luna from the face of the earth.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
On some other shards, they are restricting the area to Luna outside teh bagball arena, but Mesanna showed last night and said we have a blank slate and can place it anywhere we like. They will make sure there is a gate provided. So I dont' see why it can't be in a normally uninhabitated place. Or in a place that doesn't already have a gate. . .

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh! I misunderstood. Is there more information on this besides the article that you gave us a link for?

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If you want some ideas, visit the fairgrounds on Catskills. There is a gate at the counselor's guild, trammel, britain

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I traveled there, but I did not find a gate. :( That's okay. I have some ideas for fairgrounds.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patty, go look at Lord Gareth's fairgrounds screenies on Ches. Forum ...then REDO it for SIEGE STYLE fairgrounds for here. :) At least it will give ya some more ideas anyways.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks Queen Zen.

I have a question about InsideUo, if anyone can help. InsideUO has a map of felucca. Does anyone know how I can get a map of Malas? I really don't want to take screenshots of the area of piece it all together.

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*checks out the Chessie fairgrounds*.....Wow!

I couldn't see but is there a resurrection ankh there? Can you also place permanent NPC's? Healers, Guards?

I think we should also have some type of jail for pickpockets, wenches and reds.

Would also like to see a gypsy/fortune teller...similar to those token things. And how about some games to play if you wander by there late at night? Dartboards....mongbats....a type of archery shoot out game, etc.

I got not design talent but wish those with it much luck and thank them, profusely, for bringing us something cool.

Ohh....there are some really nice things that the asian shards have...will try to put up some pics later.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh....................a tunnel of love!!

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ohh..should there be a separate entrance for orcs, vampires, elves, etc?

And a dunk tank......pie throwing area.......*head boggles*

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
wow falon, maybe you can get with someone who can do the design and perhaps submit as a duo. Not sure if that's in the rules or not, but hey, this is Siege and we make our own damn rules!!

A

Ally Oop

The fairgrounds on Cats is just west of Brit in the fields. Its a really nice one. But our bank is better than theirs.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Falon, those are song really cool ideas! I had similar ideas, along with a hedge maze (siege style, of course, with traps that cause bodily harm!), some kind of freak shows, and lots of tents with merchants, displays, etc.

My problem now is trying to get a picture of the area. It's really sooooo big that piecing together pics would take sooooooooo long.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hey Patty, you sure you weren't in fel when you went to the counselor's guild? I made that mistake first time too.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'm sure. I remember cringing when I chose tram on the moongate. Plus, there was foliage on the trees.

Tiberius

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am not good at designing but i say it should be somewhere on siege that could use a gate. It should also be a full service station with stables, bank, forges tailor etc. It could be partially guarded. Make it a somewhat useful addition to the shard not just eye candy.

S

Scopulus Falco

I am not good at designing but i say it should be somewhere on siege that could use a gate. It should also be a full service station with stables, bank, forges tailor etc. It could be partially guarded. Make it a somewhat useful addition to the shard not just eye candy.
Agree.

Mr.StinkyPants

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
how bout ice or fire isle for a location? and as for a guard zone, how bout we limit it to the bank and nothing more....

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
add a shoot your boss booth....similar to the last halloween event where the EMs were the targets.....*bangs head on desk*

This is some sort of mage game on Balhae:

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
What the heck is a fairground??? :p

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
What the heck is a fairground??? :p
A place where the fair is held. In my neck of the woods a fair consists of livestock shows, a carnival, a gaming midway, lots of food, music and fun.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kelmo, that is what the 4-H fair is like around here.

Fire Isle and Ice Isle seem like odd locations. What about the area around Wrong Arena? Existing Arena, Bank, and Stable. Wide Area. Entrance to a dungeon. Isn't there a cave there too? That could be worked in somehow....

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ohh..should there be a separate entrance for orcs, vampires, elves, etc?

And a dunk tank......pie throwing area.......*head boggles*
Aye somehow there are some interactive whosits and whatsits depending on how one designs the whatevers. :) I know Gareth either added a klomp the homies or klomp the orcs or...whatever in his design somewhere.

Ches. has some roleplayin orcs still and well, I guess it is designed or whatever similar to when we do go to the fair, and we can either dart or toss balls at some targets like hit the orc face and win prizezzzz course their fairgrounds is LUNA trammel, so not sure how *violent* any game of smackin some orc face exhibit really can get there. :)

IF you design some dunk tank Patty...we should since it IS Siege have a dunk the Krystal dunk tank. hehe *see if you can dunk the 10k+ murderess...provided she would just sit there pretty atop it all and let folks try to dunk her. :)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
A slip and slide? We have the ice...

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A slip and slide? We have the ice...
Only if it takes us all to our deaths :) tis Siege afterall !

I can see it though...slip and slide sort of Wintermoory snowy icy, with some trapped floor tiles that drops us all down to a dungeony room with a BIG giant WyRM, with gas traps and tripped levers and some vampiric cackling down below and we get to fire balloons at the WyRm below. But in the end, ALL DIE DOWN THERE ! Maybe we can have an ice WyRm in red hues, cackling and shouting DIE INSOLENT BLUES. Now that is my idea of a Siege slip & slide fairgrounds. We can always have some ankh to res us all, to go DIE AGAIN and AGAIN ! FUN stuff.

:)

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
ooh ooh and one fairgrounds game can be ............ WITHER THE IANTOWNERS...bop the sheriff of Iantown and once the *sheriff* is dead everyone at the fairgrounds gets............withered.

Mr.StinkyPants

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kelmo, that is what the 4-H fair is like around here.

Fire Isle and Ice Isle seem like odd locations. What about the area around Wrong Arena? Existing Arena, Bank, and Stable. Wide Area. Entrance to a dungeon. Isn't there a cave there too? That could be worked in somehow....
cause i cant run to fire isle nor ice, well kind of but it takes a long roust about way, im just thinking of moongate purposes maby occolo isl

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I was out at Occlo today thinking about this. There is a spot large enough in the north east of town.

I don't think there's enough uninhabited clear space on Ice or Fire. We're not talking about the space of one 18x18, it's much larger area that needs to be filled.

Falon of Eldor

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Not a design element.....but can our EM add any "fairground" music? Again, like at the halloween event with a band playing or music that plays when you come into the area.

All the ideas expressed are great and Patty will have her hands full. Maybe, as suggested earlier, a team of designers like Patty and Uvtha and _____ (fill in the blank) can coordinate so this work of art isnt just on one person. Maybe someone can donate our Siege design team a vent channel!

Can the OP maybe start a bullet list of wants/needs? I like the occlo gate idea and that is a peaceful area. Do we also need another public arcane circle, even w/out the additional bonus?

The SP Fairground doesn't have to be all bright and colorful, pomp and circumstance...it could be sparse and empty, a picture of our, what some say, are our now dwindling populations and empty lands...Empty wheelbarrows, sickly livestock, dead grass....beggars all over, tattered tents...guards in the taven drinking ale, an empty, depressing husk of what it could have been, or once was. Maybe a criminal, or two, hanging from a tree. Can you name NPC's??? hehe. We could have a hang the criminal naming contest! Krystal comes to mind....;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
If folks want to coordinate and discuss ideas, Stratics provides a free voice chat via Voon.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I look forward too seeing what our twisted designers come up with. *smiles*

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I checked out the wrong arena and someone has a keep very close to the arena (Great place, btw!). I thought about Brit fields, but I like Occlo even better! That is a great place for a gate. I will check out the area.

I like the team idea, although I don't know how easily we would all find the time to meet! We would need a lead designer, someone to put all the ideas together. I would love to hear more about what Siegers want.

I *know* I want to make a hedge maze, with traps that cause physical harm. I was thinking some kind of stage for storytelling or performing. A dueling arena. I know others out there will have better ideas.

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just took a tour around Occlo. There area north of town is nice, however I think the pattern of the trees will make it difficult to make any large structures, unless we can take out the trees. I don't know if that is an option. There are some larger clear areas to the northwest but there are small houses up through there, and I don't know if we want to design the fairgrounds around player houses.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Patty...I wonder if they would permit ya to use ALL that space under Ocllo ??

I mean it is pretty huge and ya can work things around the existing stationary items in there...would really be great to have another use for it all under Ocllo. I think all the land that's under Ocllo has no guardzone area down there but it sure is a lot of flat space begging for creativity and some lights. :)

And with the existing structures down there, already, like some lake, chests and tables and so forth these can be redone or jazzed up or designs can work with those structures to enhance the entire under Ocllo to be a Siege stealthing hidden fairgrounds. :) And we finally get a gate on Ocllo somewhere too or maybe we can get an Ocllo gate by Brit bank remodeling that takes folks TO/From Ocllo and one other gate down by the carrot field or npc shack that goes below only, to the Ocllo fairgrounds.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
An ethy go round?

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A lil merry-go-round near the underground lake under Ocllo...can have lil ethy polar bears, kirans, unicorns and some ridgeback ethy..maybe a COW too just to get to ride one once.

Pirates death games/exhibits by the chests or lake under Ocllo with a broken ghost ship to board on that lake under there.

Food court over by the underground Ocllo forges...ie BBQ pork stands. haha

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
BUT BUT I lub mongbats,, cuz they are puny yet feisty cute !

There isn't much meat on em though. haha

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I completely forgot about the area UNDER occlo!! The major issue with all this is taking screenshots of the whole area and piecing it all together to get a blank canvas on which to work. That will take HOURS. How do you get under Occlo?

I would love to create an ethy-go-round! That would be fun! How about bumper boats in the lake?

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do you get under Occlo?

*is forlorn and sad* I seen ye in Ocllo earlier and was gonna show ya how to get under Ocllo so I said hi...and said hi again and then I said 'Patty ? or are ye Mr. Patty ? ' :( No answer I think ye were flirtin' with that npc carpenter !

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry I missed ya Queen Zen! My Princess spilled her FULL cup of apple juice on the kitchen floor, so I ran to help her clean it up.