New to the game need temp advice

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

I have read the faq and couple of post but i need info

What is considered the best template for a FARMING tamer?

120 taming necessary?
120 AL?
Taming over 100?
Magery 100
then what?
hiding stealthing or disco?

i am so lost !!

G

I have read the faq and couple of post but i need info

What is considered the best template for a FARMING tamer?

120 taming necessary?
120 AL?
Taming over 100?
Magery 100
then what?
hiding stealthing or disco?

i am so lost !!

I

imported_Legacyee

Hi
There are so many combo's that the best one, is the one that suits you, I would suggest going to the test shard and trying all possible ones out, the play style on some templates is very different to others and you need to find your own

Sorry for not being any direct help but thats my answer to the problem

I

imported_Legacyee

Hi
There are so many combo's that the best one, is the one that suits you, I would suggest going to the test shard and trying all possible ones out, the play style on some templates is very different to others and you need to find your own

Sorry for not being any direct help but thats my answer to the problem

DrDolittle

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 7, 2002
Skara Brae Stables, Atlantic
If you are planning on taming your own pets then 120 taming can be an asset. If you can accept the greater difficulty of taming high end critters (Greater Dragon for example) at 110 taming or don’t mind buying a pet that someone else tamed then 110 taming and 110 lore will get you maximum control of any pet for your farming activities. Depending on what you are going to farm you might not need the more difficult to control pets so you could get by with lower taming/lore requirements.

The basics for my own tamer characters is 110 taming, 110 lore and 100 veterinary. Some of my “finished” tamer characters have higher skills but none have lower. That way I know that my characters will have maximum control over any pet.

If you are going to fight a lot I would highly recommend 100 veterinary. This helps you keep your pet alive in battle and makes resurrecting easier if the gods of fate frown and your pet dies.

Once you get the tamer basics there are many variations that are quite effective. There is the venerable tamer/mage template that, in the old days, was used by most people running a tamer. When I started playing UO pets did not “bond” and did not recall with their master so, if you were hunting with a non-mountable pet you needed to either walk your pet or gate. As gating is much faster than walking high magery was a must have so the tamer mage was the dominant template.

Now-a-days a bonded pet will recall with its master and just about any character can recall from a scroll with zero magery. That, and skill enhancement items, have made a wide variety of templates more viable than in the old days. My own tamer characters include a tamer/bard, stealth tamer, tamer/warrior and a tamer/archer/paladin as well as the classic tamer/mage. Each one has it’s own benefits and requires a different strategy to play well. There are many possible variations beyond what I have listed.

You might consider jumping on the test center shard and experimenting with various supporting skills to see which style of play suits your needs the best. Some of the questions you will need to consider are what is your own goal for the character? Will this character be a “main” character or are you planning to use it only to “farm” gold to support the activities of other characters? What types of creatures are you planning to fight and will they only be monsters (i.e. PvM only or will you PvP as well)? Are you in a great hurry to complete the character or are you patient enough to spend some time building skills?

Although I would not really recommend it for your first tamer character, if you are in a hurry to get the character on line, you might consider buying an advanced character token which could be used to jump-start a classic tamer/mage. If you choose that path be aware that you can buy the skills but you can not buy the experience to use the skills effectively. Many times I have seen a player with a shiny new advanced-character tamer and a bought dragon have their collective heads handed to them by a monster I would not have given a second thought to simply because the player did not know how to use the skills.

Good luck in your journeys…

G

Disco,disco,disco...... I can`t say DISCO enough,lol.

I posted my template in another thread in this forum,if I wasn`t on sluggish 56k I`d surf there and post a link.basically IMO it is well worth the effort to stuff disco into a farming template.There isn`t anything out there a disco tamer can not kill.With 115 Min. of music/disco you can even disco paragons and peerless bosses,which makes a HUGE difference.Without goin to other thread to check,this is briefly what I have:

120 tame/85ish real skill
120 lore/105 rs
100 vet/gm rs
100 magery/85 rs
120 music/110 rs
120 peace/114 rs
120 disco/100.4 rs

Granted I use alot of items to get this template but it affords me full time use of every skill w/o the need of stoning one or the other for certain situations.
I use tome of lost knowledge to get magery from 85 to 100,the birds of britannia taly and tamer mark of travesty for a free 15 points to lore and tame w/o jewelry.Imo it would be very hard to beat a disco tamers abilities and was well worth the cost and time it took for me to find the items to complete what I wanted.

You may think,welll what about meditation? Well,I`ve found no problems keeping mana,even with Mel since I`m hi enuff in area`s to swap bird taly out for void taly for 10 lmc plus britches/tome and a cple other goodies to raise mana regen and or lmc w/o losing any skill beside the 5 drop in tame and lore from removing bird taly.But that still leaves me at 115 to both so,alls good.

Hope some of this help`s ya decide whats right for you. I`d be hard pressed to better this build for my own needs and wants.Its actually hard for me to log onto any other char atm,lol.Enjoy!

G

I made my first tamer based on input from a friend who has many tamers and I used the following and am really enjoying it:

120 taming
120 lore
120 vet
120 music
120 peace/discord (keep one on stone)
110 magery
10 Meditation (82 with various skill bonuses to taming/lore/meditation)

A

Antion_Vallin

What is it you plan on hunting with? Despite the Cu Sidhe having the healing skill your gonna want Veterinary, if that was your origional plan.