• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Taming

kazeandi

Adventurer
personally, i find it more fun to imbue my pets to be perfect for the job at hand than to tame stuff in the hopes of winning a lottery some day.
less RNG and more targeted work with clearly defined goals is a GoodThing(TM) in my book.

sirion

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Is there any disadvantage in training "trained pre-patch" pets? I just finished training on my old cu (3-4-5, two trainings), and after I used up all points on the stats, I realized there was no more points/training left for the specials. Oops. Those were 1500+1500 points used up. How do other cu's packed with many 120 advs and many specials? or did I just miscalculated? Anyhow here's its stats

cucc.png ,

omukai

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
My Cus have 800ish HP, frees up some points and is still enough to tank spawns and bosses.

BeaIank

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Supporter
HP and Str are extremely expensive to raise, which is why you ran out of points.

Dawnie

Visitor
Okay. I really like this new training system. I enjoy playing my tamer a lot more now, and its fun allocating points in skills and stats to what works for me. Not all pets are allowed the same abilities, and not everyone wants the same abilities on their own pets. Plus you can take more of the same pet and work different combos on them.
My question is this. If a pet has its original abilities. When you train it up and allocate points, does the new ability you add replace the abilities it already came with that happen to fall under that same category?
For example, if it has imagery, but I want to ADD mysticism. Will that replace the imagery? Or like the saber tooth tiger starts with 4 abilities (not sure of re categories), but I'd like to ADD an ability from each special and magical.

Will the ones I want to ADD replace those already on the cat? Or even stop training up those abilities?

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Okay. I really like this new training system. I enjoy playing my tamer a lot more now, and its fun allocating points in skills and stats to what works for me. Not all pets are allowed the same abilities, and not everyone wants the same abilities on their own pets. Plus you can take more of the same pet and work different combos on them.
My question is this. If a pet has its original abilities. When you train it up and allocate points, does the new ability you add replace the abilities it already came with that happen to fall under that same category?
For example, if it has imagery, but I want to ADD mysticism. Will that replace the imagery? Or like the saber tooth tiger starts with 4 abilities (not sure of re categories), but I'd like to ADD an ability from each special and magical.

Will the ones I want to ADD replace those already on the cat? Or even stop training up those abilities?
You can only have 1 magic ability. If you add Myst to that pet, you will lose Magery.

The sabre tooth also has a magic ability. so, if you add another, the original will go away.

Heres the info on it. Saber-Toothed Tiger

What is the magery pet type?

Dawnie

Visitor
Thank you, that answered my question perfectly. So with that known, I'm not adding new abilities. I don't want to mess up what he has.
The magery pet was an example.
When I first trained up my pup, I had the option for mysticism and discordance in the same category. I didn't realize the new training system followed the imbueing system, which I also don't know, and had asked my guild leader about it. But those were both new abilities, not ones that originally came on the pet.

Jesse Donovan

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Hi there, I recently came back 4mos ago, from back in the day I belive right after the Sam Empire came out, probably 2003-2004 when i quit.(ok, lets face you never quit UO).

well i was wondering i got my Legendary Tamer and some pets, trained some of them like my Cu Sidhe, which out runs my so ass. I was wondering do you have to do the new taming, or can you still just train them with the base skills they have and then possible train them. is that Possible?

don't like the fact that they go up to 5 slot after you train them. with only 5/5 slots to begin with, say I have my frost dragon, with me, what the H E double hockey sticks do i ride. can't ride my ethereal.

they should really IMO up the 5/5 to say something like 6/6 or 7/7. no more than that.. IMO..

what you think about it..

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi there, I recently came back 4mos ago, from back in the day I belive right after the Sam Empire came out, probably 2003-2004 when i quit.(ok, lets face you never quit UO).

well i was wondering i got my Legendary Tamer and some pets, trained some of them like my Cu Sidhe, which out runs my so ass. I was wondering do you have to do the new taming, or can you still just train them with the base skills they have and then possible train them. is that Possible?

don't like the fact that they go up to 5 slot after you train them. with only 5/5 slots to begin with, say I have my frost dragon, with me, what the H E double hockey sticks do i ride. can't ride my ethereal.

they should really IMO up the 5/5 to say something like 6/6 or 7/7. no more than that.. IMO..

what you think about it..
Thats why you train a Giant Beetle, Lesser Hiryu, or Cu up to 5 slots. You can still ride them when done.