• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Taming

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Hi didn't want to hijack that other thread but I have a few problems with the new taming stuff.

Firstly great on the ‘new’ critters for taming.

My issues are purely with the UI and the way the skill training works. So complicated to do the figuring out.

My understanding is:

• You get ‘so many’ training points to up-skill a pet. So for eg 1550 points
  • When you ‘Begin’ training you get to ‘select’ the stuff you want to ‘add’ to your pet and it ‘uses’ your points up.
  • What you can train depends on the individual pet, so not all pets can have all options available.
  • You may decide to add hit points to the pet which will use say 900 of your 1550 points to ‘max’ it. (note: It could be ‘any’ of the options hp’s, str, intel, raising caps on skills, resists, adding magical or combat abilities etc).
  • Whatever mod you select you then have to ‘train pet’ which cements that choice before you can progress to the next thing you may want to spend your points on. (You get a gump saying that once you have accepted the selection, ie the hit point upgrade, that it is irreversible).
  • What happens then is you get to the next thing, you find you don’t have enough points left for it as you used too many on the hit points, you should of taken say 800 hps to fit in the discordance or whatever else you were going to add.
  • There is NO progressive count (or deduction from your starting training points) as you select items on the gump BEFORE you move to the next so basically you better be ‘right’ the first time.
  • This now means that your pet is kinda stuffed unless you sit down with a pen and paper or spreadsheet to start with and plot out each point you want to add. This is again complicated as every single individual pet is going to be different due to it’s starting stats/resists etc. So you have to ‘see’ what amount of points are going to be deducted if you put on the Hit Points and how many you have left prior to committing, and then how many points it is going to take if you add say spellweaving to the pet, before committing, then whether you want to take wrestling etc to 120 and have the power scroll before committing, etc etc etc.
  • Then go back to the start and hope your maths was correct and that you can ‘fit’ what you figured out you could fit ‘committing’ each time. Again this is complicated as when you are in one screen it says you have 1550 points, but then you go to the next and it says you have 1451 points as the weighting is dif, and then you get to the add skill thing on the same pet and it says you have 1000 to spend. Talk about a headache.

Unless someone comes up with a calculator real quick most people, including myself, are gonna have a major issues in doing all the calculations.

It is basically a very complicated version of Imbuing only this is Imbuing a Pet. Only this is more irreversible than existing imbuing as you can’t actually ‘lower’ an existing skill once it is raised.

The training gumps SHOULD have ‘starting points’ at the top and ‘points left’ at the bottom with the selections on one page so they are all visible.

You should then be able to select all the things you want and the amounts you want them in to ‘use’ your points going down the list, and once you are done the point tally at the bottom should read ‘0’.

This is the point where you should ‘accept’ the selections or not. Or go and change them if you needed to amend one to get another in etc.

Without this ability to work out your pet before you ‘commit’ to it there is instantly a need for an external calculator which is currently essential for high end imbuing. This will be more critical as you can’t just craft up another animal if you muck it up like you can leather pants.

Personally I don’t know why Pet Skills/Training should not be like character skill/training is with a ‘max’ allowable on any pet with toggles (up down lock) against all things. Which can then be raised or lowered if you want to reskill. Just as with a normal character. So turn up poisoning on a cu and lower bleed whatever and adjust str/dex/intel (which should also correspond with hps/stam/mana) No idea why maxing HP's on a creature does not auto change the str etc. Kinda weird.

Eg Players have 260 stats and 720 skill points, why not make it that pets have 2000 stats and 720 skill points on a 5 slot down to 300 stats 340 skills on a 2 slot etc. (whatever the numbers are) Seems to me that they are using imbuing as the ‘base’ for this instead of the more logical character skill selection/application system.

Way, way to complicated as it is unless there is a way to ‘see’ your training points and what you can ‘fit’ onto the pet BEFORE you commit to it. Sorry but in my opinion it is pretty poor design, as already there is a need for an external calculator just to work it out unless you want to spend your life on the test centre fiddling around.

Has great potential but misses in the application. I don’t have stable slots to toss all my stuff out to ‘test’ these new combos, with 11? new tames that is more than half the stable just to get one of each let alone test a few combos of skills on the same pet.

The ability to customise your pet is great, but why make it so flipping complicated? Sure we are gonna see some 'strange' combos to start with but at the end of the day once it is found that xyz pet with abc combo is good against Melisande, everyone will just imbue that pet. There is no need to actually get out and lore pets to 'selectively' tame the best of any breed as now what you tame won't matter, just imbue it to what you want, it will be a race to the imbued common denominator once it is discovered. As imbuing has done to crafting, ie 70 resists, 6 mr, 100 lrc, 40 lmc with a bit of hpi or mi per suit is stock standard the major pets are gonna end up like this as well.

To me using the training system for a character only now applied to a pet would of been a much better way to go than imbuing a pet to order. Or making it that the 'base' stats on a tame could not be changed just the skills and resists etc so that 'taming' as in finding a good pet to start with is not made completely null and void.

Just my view.

Last edited:

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No. There is no real training at all. All you do is:
1. click gem to begin process (it may alter control slots count for old pets)
2. kill stuff to earn full progress bar
3. at 100% you may begin customization of your pet at cost of increased control slot

Its level up process, not training.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
No. There is no real training at all. All you do is:
1. click gem to begin process (it may alter control slots count for old pets)
2. kill stuff to earn full progress bar
3. at 100% you may begin customization of your pet at cost of increased control slot

Its level up process, not training.
You clearly missed the whole point of the original post.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Aye not sure what he is going on about re training, my post wasn't about how to 'train' or 'level up' a pet.

However,

maybe someone can explain to me the 'normal' process for beginning this system as I doubt on prodo we are gonna have a 'gate' to walk through to begin the process.

• You tame a pet then what?
  • Have to train it to a certain point before you can start that convoluted training/customising system above?
  • Can you do somthing that will negate being able to customise anything, ie like train it too much by taking a skill over gm to start etc?
  • Is there any point at all in bothering to even find a 'great' pet now? Seems to me that an integral part of the 'taming' game is destroyed by the new process. (Pretty much how practically all arties were destroyed with the intoduction of imbuing which has resulted in the devs now having to make even more powerful stuff to give ppl something to aim and play for.)

I worry that with imbueable pets all the 'skill' in taming, ie spending time and effort to find that perfect pet/color/stat/resist/skill combo is totally lost as it will be another whistle up and just make what you want system requiring absolutely no skill or effort.

I love that you can take other pets up to be useful, this is great, however they seem to be making the exact same mistake they did before by totally destroying the 'old' way.

It would be nice to see a 'cap' on how much you can boost the base stats 'above' what a freshly new tamed creature is. ie if you tame a rune beetle and its hit points are say 360 out of a possible 400 (fresh tame) then the most you can boost the stats are is by 50% so you could take the 360 to (360 + 180) = 540. If your fresh tame was 400 out of 400 then you can boost it to 400 + 200 = 600 hps. That way there is still a need to be judicious in your taming. But it relies on calculating the 'base' tame into the amount of points you can add and rewarding a great tame over an avg one.

Whether this means a flat % of points added to the 'initial' tame across all categories so that there is still a point to finding great pets. (grrrr hard to explain what I mean here) . Basically if you find a 'great' pet in the species you can make it 'better' than an average pet in that same species, or is it now (under the current proposal) that any pet in any species has the identical 'cap' on whatever combination of stats/skill for the species so at the end of the day every single rune beetle will be identical in 'weight'?

There has to be some 'benefit' or 'use' for taming a better pet surely?

Or do people not really care and any pet will do as you can just add what you want to it so who cares about the intital tame?

Not sure if you get what I mean lol, I do, but putting it into words is a bit difficult not knowing exactly how the thing is structured atm.

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
You Talk to an Animal Trainer in a stable. He gives you a quest to tame a pet. Tame a pet and advance to the next stage which is training. Only have to do that once. Release the pet you tamed and start with one from your stable if you want.

The higher stat pets will still have an advantage over the lower stat ones. You can find them with higher resists and total stats than you cant imbue a lesser pet with. Kinda like making a sword with 100% life leech. You cant imbue them that high.

The best GD found in nature will still be the best GD. According to the devs.

Please no caps. I can use all my pets as good as I can use my low level GD. I don't care if he dies more than others do. Why punish those who really don't know or care what a good pet looks like.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The best GD found in nature will still be the best GD. According to the devs.
There are things (very valuable things) that training gives that are not available to GDs. So I think there is a good chance that training may more then offset the higher caps, especially since you will be able to hit the training caps always, but you will never find that 5.0 GD with everytihing maxed out. The worst GD found in nature (the one with 4 slots and thus trainable) may be the new best.

sablestorm

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
There are things (very valuable things) that training gives that are not available to GDs. So I think there is a good chance that training may more then offset the higher caps, especially since you will be able to hit the training caps always, but you will never find that 5.0 GD with everytihing maxed out. The worst GD found in nature (the one with 4 slots and thus trainable) may be the new best.
Best test this because with the latest patch, the skill required to control them increases as you add training. Make sure you don't run into the "can't control them" message if you try add something that would put it beyond your skill.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Best test this because with the latest patch, the skill required to control them increases as you add training. Make sure you don't run into the "can't control them" message if you try add something that would put it beyond your skill.
Hopefully devs will limit it not to exceed legendary taming and lore.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The higher stat pets will still have an advantage over the lower stat ones. You can find them with higher resists and total stats than you cant imbue a lesser pet with. Kinda like making a sword with 100% life leech. You cant imbue them that high.
Yeah but if you train/customise them under the proposed system wont they all end up at the same 'weight' so a trained cu sidhe even tho it may have different skills/stats as a fresh tame will have the same weight as any other once customised? If a pet has 'higher' resists in one or two resists, that you can't raise by the imbue as they are over cap, isn't that then offset as you can't raise the others to 80 or whatever the max is? So in effect a 'higher' phys resist than you can't 'imbue' means a lower something else so in effect the pet is not ever gonna have any advantage? Same as if a pet has higher skill (say 134 in wrestle existing) then another skill can't go up to gm because of it. There is an offset.

Please no caps. I can use all my pets as good as I can use my low level GD. I don't care if he dies more than others do. Why punish those who really don't know or care what a good pet looks like.
By caps I mean on any given 'pet' that you can only raise its stuff as a percentile increase from the base on it in relation to any other pet of that same species. As a way to ensure there is a purpose to finding a good one to start with. Not as a penalty between species. So what I mean , although finding it hard to explain, is take pet that you can take from a 4 to a 5 slot pet so it becomes competition for a GD, that pet starts with particular stats/skills as a fresh tame, now instead of that pet having a total 'weight' of say 1600, and every pet in that class being 1600 when it is fully customised, make it so that the customising is on top of the base. So if your pet under the old system was a 3.5 and another was a 4.2 (rated) at the end of customising pet 1 (3.5) can only train to 1400 weight and pet 2 (4.2) to 1500 weight and if you found the best possible (5) then to 1600.

You say you dont wanna be punished if you dont care what what a good pet looks like, but isn't it a punishment to those who do by making it all whistle up what you want to the same weight. Like all imbued stuff having a weight of 500 (sure you can put on what stuff you want to make that 500 but at the end of the day it is still the same, it doesnt matter if you spend ages finding a really great anything if anyone can just imbue over it to max weight. Unlike other stuff it seems that pets will not be 'over cap' on anything unless there is a resulting 'undercap' on something else. Under existing imbuing you can 'over cap' stuff by reforging and refining etc. Pets will all end up the same weight per species.

Just trying to get my head around all pets ending up as cookie cutter templates in each species. All the same weight, no point in actually going out to use your tame skill as the first in 'any' species you find and tame is just as good as one you tame three years down the track as there is no point to taming another ONE unless you actually have a need for two of the same species. There are actually a lot of 'tamers' out here who enjoy farming tames to get the best pet possible. I am still searching for that GD that was over 4.2 rated. seems to me a whole part of a tamers game is being totally made useless.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
First, you cant train a GD. Basically they are over cap. Someone in a thread here said they found a really low one and tried to train it but it didn't have points to allocate.

None of my GDs or turtles will train and they are crappy.

I'm just stating what Kyronix has said about the best GD will still be the best pet.

You can train other pets to have high hit points but They say GD will be best.

I just talked to an LS tamer that has all but the Tmap pets. He said he has trained up a bunch of stuff. And his opinion is that his high lvl GD is still his best pet.

I upped a few Cus and Hiryus. IMO my dragon is also better. I'm just killing the named balrons in chaos until they turn paragon, then I die.

Others will have to weigh in.

Remember, they finished the training difficulty stage. I'm not sure what stage they are in right now. But, eventually they will get to the overall power testing stage. And I would think they will tweek things there.

Last edited:

Pawain

I Hate Skilling
Governor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As for the resists. I have a pet with 90 fire. I cant train up a pet to get 90 fire. If you have pets with higher stats than the caps, you can use that pet for special circumstances. Just like weapons, use what works for what you are fighting.

I trust the devs to try to keep the GD the best pet. But, I also trust the players to find anything that will defeat that really fast.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You Talk to an Animal Trainer in a stable. He gives you a quest to tame a pet. Tame a pet and advance to the next stage which is training. Only have to do that once. Release the pet you tamed and start with one from your stable if you want.
You don't have to do the quest.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You can train other pets to have high hit points but They say GD will be best.
I think GD will have the best "balance" of offense and defense, but I think you can easily train other pets to tank better, do more damage, and have better situational utility (whirlwind/explosive goo to do champs for example).

So for the casual tamer I expect people will stick with the GD, with the active tamer I expect you will have pets tailored to different activities.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Think most are missing what I am getting at. Not what you can tame, or how powerful it gets etc. I know GDs and Turtles wont train, well mine won't, someone told me their turtle which was crappy will go though to be able to be trained up, so remains to be seen. My main point is if it is are all pets gonna end up at the same 'weight' once fully customised and trained so that there is 0 difference in the power of any pet in the same species, ie so all rune beetles will end up the same 'power', all cus', all bake kitsunes etc. Sure they may have dif skills/stats but will all have the same weighting. So it basically illiminates any need to tame more than one unless you are just wanting to mess with dif combo's. Given lack of stable slots that is gonna get filled pretty quick so be a wasted effort to get more than one. Sheesh there are at least 11 new tames i have seen, not sure how many more, so without stableslots most of this is never gonna be known. My feelings on stable slots are pretty well known already.

Keith of Sonoma

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
you can easily train other pets to tank better, do more damage, and have better situational utility
I think that "hits the nail on the head". While I think GD's can still have the best resists, and do great damage, my first thought was I could customize different pets to do more damage against certain mobs. I am really looking forward to this publish going live!

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Think most are missing what I am getting at. Not what you can tame, or how powerful it gets etc. I know GDs and Turtles wont train, well mine won't, someone told me their turtle which was crappy will go though to be able to be trained up, so remains to be seen. My main point is if it is are all pets gonna end up at the same 'weight' once fully customised and trained so that there is 0 difference in the power of any pet in the same species, ie so all rune beetles will end up the same 'power', all cus', all bake kitsunes etc. Sure they may have dif skills/stats but will all have the same weighting. So it basically illiminates any need to tame more than one unless you are just wanting to mess with dif combo's. Given lack of stable slots that is gonna get filled pretty quick so be a wasted effort to get more than one. Sheesh there are at least 11 new tames i have seen, not sure how many more, so without stableslots most of this is never gonna be known. My feelings on stable slots are pretty well known already.
It does not really eliminate the need to tame more than one. All the combinations will allow (hopefully) to tailor pets to specific scenarios. So a tamer would want to have a lot more pets then we have now where a GD pretty the best choice for 99% of cases. And, yeah, stable slots will be a problem.

And I am also concerned about removing the need to look for the best pet. Technically if you hunt for a pet with overcapped resists and skills you might derive some use from searching, but tying starting slot requirements to the wild stats mostly kills the reason for it.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Well, it depends. For anything that breaks a cap, there will still be value in trying to get pets with those high stats/resists. Pets with only one level up may also not be able to hit all the caps with 1.5k points. I haven't been testing out high end stuff, so I don't know.

But honestly, I think that's already the way it is for most players. I think most of the pets that people farmed the rng to get a high rating are Cu's and GD's. The high rated GD's will still be just as good, but the Cu's will probably end up a waste of time unless the points don't max all the caps.

It's unfortunate, but I think this change will be for the overall good.

Last edited:

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I am also concerned about removing the need to look for the best pet. Technically if you hunt for a pet with overcapped resists and skills you might derive some use from searching, but tying starting slot requirements to the wild stats mostly kills the reason for it.
I think it still applies for lower level stuff, but probably no one really cares about that. If you only get two level ups, and you pet starts with rock bottom stats you'll need all the extra points you can get.

R Traveler

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The worst GD found in nature (the one with 4 slots and thus trainable) may be the new best.
I tamed 4 slot greater and was not able to train it. It does not receive gains from fighting and even using gate won't allow to apply anything.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Skills are not capped except by power scrolls. If a pet has a skill over cap, it's not going to stop it reaching GM in the others.
My WW is over cap in strength, I can't then raise it's dex and int cap above the total cap, but the str won't go down.
My skree has over cap poison resist. True I can't take its other resists quite as high, but it's always going to do slightly better against a mob that does high poison damage. True customizing will take some thinking about. I've tended to look at what a certain improvement will cost, make a note and then 'back' till I've worked it all out. I'm sure someone will make a calculator sooner or later - I'm afraid that's beyond my abilities.

Swordsman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pet advancement gate may keep in the TC, to allow players test various level up path before imbuing their pets in the product shard.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The pet advancement gate may keep in the TC, to allow players test various level up path before imbuing their pets in the product shard.
Yes, I really hope this isn't removed since you can't "undo" training.

Better yet add an in game item that lets you "mock level" allowing you to set stats and do practice training.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just talked to an LS tamer that has all but the Tmap pets. He said he has trained up a bunch of stuff. And his opinion is that his high lvl GD is still his best pet.

I upped a few Cus and Hiryus. IMO my dragon is also better. I'm just killing the named balrons in chaos until they turn paragon, then I die.
A 4.3 Rating, fully skilled GD with 120/120 Consume Damage on him, drops like a sack of bricks to a discoed Yamandon. A formerly 3.8 rating Cu, with all GM skills (not even PSed to 120 Wrest yet) and leveled up to 4 Control Slots, with 120/120 Consume Damage on him, can tank a discoed Yamandon and a Rune Beetle at the same time, and win. Huge tanking difference.
The Saurosaurus is also a pet that can easily out tank a GD, even at just 4 Slots. The Saurosaurus has a similar max Resist setup to the GD, able to overcap Physical at 85, and Fire at 90 (the two most important Resists). It can also spawn with 200+ DEX/Stam naturally, and is therefore faster than the GD, able to keep up with flying Gargoyles. The only thing the GD has over the Saurosaurus, is the potential 130.5 Wrest compared to a Saurosaurus' max of 120 Wrest (with PS). The Saurosaurus' Life Leech makes up for that though, especially since the Life Leech can help counteract magic damage, where the GD's higher Wrest only avoids melee damage. The Saurosaurus can also be leveled to have a Special Move, with AI being a great choice for tanking bosses (helps mitigate high Physical Resist enemies, and synergizes well with Life Leech), or give them Whirlwind so they can easily tank entire packs while staying full Health (this scales insanely well with their Life Leech, watch them regain hundreds of Health in a single WW when surrounded, essentially making them a pocket Sampire).

My main point is if it is are all pets gonna end up at the same 'weight' once fully customised and trained so that there is 0 difference in the power of any pet in the same species, ie so all rune beetles will end up the same 'power', all cus', all bake kitsunes etc. Sure they may have dif skills/stats but will all have the same weighting. So it basically illiminates any need to tame more than one unless you are just wanting to mess with dif combo's.
There will still be a point to hunting for specific Stats/Resists/Skills with certain species, but it's going to be a bit different. The current "Point Rating" system, which values survivability the most, is going to have to be completely revamped and retooled. Instead of looking for a Rune Beetle with mostly high Health/Resists, instead you'll be looking for a Rune Beetle with 165+ DEX (so it can reach the 180 Stam breakpoint after Bless), high as possible Poisoning skill (preferably 133+ when wild), and low Poison Resist. Yes, you saw that right, low Poison Resist. The lower, the better. Why? Because Poison is the least valuable Resist (Physical > Fire > Energy > Cold > Poison), and due to the 365 total Resist cap when leveling a pet, the lower the Poison Resist, the higher you can pump another more important Resist. Instead of facepalming when you see a Rune Beetle spawn with 75 Poison Resist, you'll be jumping for joy.

Caitlyn Snow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
This revamp also allows a bit more in diversity. I took a giant beetle to three slots, with rune corruption and poison only barely Buffing resists and stats trained it up and paired it with necromage windrunner. Made for an interesting but quick fight. You just have to think outside of the box and tailor your combos scenario wise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wing Zero Straight Edge

Seasoned Veteran
I think you're jumping the gun here a little.. This is still so new.
I'd say they've got a lot to still work on and improve over time, maybe even offering a stat calculator to make it easier.

Just take this as it comes or you'll do your own head in to the point you'll hate it.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess that goes back to my OP. The fact the system isn't even in yet but we already need an outside program to make it 'work'

They need to look at the gump and UI and code it so we don't need an external calculator. Give us a gump that has starting points a the top, one where we can enter what we want, that deducts the points as we go, give us the ability to change it or switch things around on the gump PRIOR to having to select and commit to training one thing at a time. The current gump/UI totally sucks as you either need a spreadsheet or paper and pen to work it all out before you start.

If they are puttting in a new pet revamp, make the UI work so we dont HAVE to resort to calculators, spreadsheets or the flipping abacus. I want to play not spend hours doing maths.

Do it ONCE but do it right for goodness sake.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess that goes back to my OP. The fact the system isn't even in yet but we already need an outside program to make it 'work'
I mean, we don't. Just like you don't need an imbuing calculator. You can just do it as you go, and at worst you won't have exactly the pet you want, but it will still be very good. Naturally a lot of people will want to min/max ****, but you don't need to make pets perfect for them to be perfectly good.

That said, I would prefer a better working interface and process. An apply all at once "is this what you want?" would be nice I think, especially since you can't train it any further until you spend all the points, so everyone will obviously be spending all the points at once.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I mean, we don't. Just like you don't need an imbuing calculator. You can just do it as you go, and at worst you won't have exactly the pet you want, but it will still be very good. Naturally a lot of people will want to min/max ****, but you don't need to make pets perfect for them to be perfectly good.

That said, I would prefer a better working interface and process. An apply all at once "is this what you want?" would be nice I think, especially since you can't train it any further until you spend all the points, so everyone will obviously be spending all the points at once.
That is exactly my original point, the current interface sucks and you need one where you don't have to do one thing and commit it before you can do the next. You can make a major blunder if you put all your points on hp's only to find that the discord skill you were also intending to add got nerfed because you needed 500 points but only had 485 left. Each 'page' of the training gumps shows a different amount of 'points' available. Hence the need to 'do it all at once' and fiddle around upping some things, reducing others, adding skill, adding scroll points THEN and only THEN hit the train button so that you actually get what you want without the need to calculate it all out to start with.

Techically you don't need to train any pet above it's orginal skill/power level for it to be 'perfectly good' if that is what you want, but if they are gonna introduce a new system, they should aim to make it user friendly, not this user unfriendly thing they current have.

Petra Fyde

Peerless Chatterbox
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I guess what would be nice would be a kind of 'add to basket' accumulation where you can collect up and adjust your upgrades and only 'train pet' when you're sure you have the right choices in your 'basket'

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I guess what would be nice would be a kind of 'add to basket' accumulation where you can collect up and adjust your upgrades and only 'train pet' when you're sure you have the right choices in your 'basket'
Exactly

Gorbs

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you're jumping the gun here a little.. This is still so new.
I'd say they've got a lot to still work on and improve over time, maybe even offering a stat calculator to make it easier.

Just take this as it comes or you'll do your own head in to the point you'll hate it.
I don't think that's how this dev team works. They've already sunk a lot of time (and therefore money) into this system. It wouldn't surprise me to see an email saying it's going live on Origin at any moment.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Add me to the group that would love to see the ability to add all the different kinds of training/buffing to the pet (with the ability to modify and balance to exactly what you want) before you confirm the training and it gets applied to the pet.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I don't think that's how this dev team works. They've already sunk a lot of time (and therefore money) into this system. It wouldn't surprise me to see an email saying it's going live on Origin at any moment.
Yep, we have limited time to affect any changes. They already have the rest of the year planned out and this is very small team. Once it goes live, you can fully expect it not be touched (with the exception of anything game breaking) for next 10 years.

MissEcho

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Kinda makes a mockery of the test centre tho. I hate when they introduce something that from the get go has major flaws. Even when pointed out they don't get fixed, and then the system is in game forever due to them having a fixed idea in their mind long before the thing hits the TC and other than the odd tweak you get what they have irrespective of whether it is useful or not.

I just don't know how they can design something so clunky to start with. Surely anyone can/could see that people would want to fiddle before commiting to the training and that supremely poor interface wasn't gonna cut it. It is the FIRST thing I noticed when logging in to use it, how flipping hopeless it was. Just have to hope some bright spark does come up with a useful calculator soon but I really get aggravated when such a great system is stuffed from the get go due to poor implementation.

Sad thing is the 'stuff' we can add and do to pets, is great, the new pets look ok, but the way the whole training system is implemented is just so onorous and misses the needs completely requiring an out of game fix to make it 'user friendly'.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Kinda makes a mockery of the test centre tho. I hate when they introduce something that from the get go has major flaws. Even when pointed out they don't get fixed, and then the system is in game forever due to them having a fixed idea in their mind long before the thing hits the TC and other than the odd tweak you get what they have irrespective of whether it is useful or not.

I just don't know how they can design something so clunky to start with. Surely anyone can/could see that people would want to fiddle before commiting to the training and that supremely poor interface wasn't gonna cut it. It is the FIRST thing I noticed when logging in to use it, how flipping hopeless it was. Just have to hope some bright spark does come up with a useful calculator soon but I really get aggravated when such a great system is stuffed from the get go due to poor implementation.

Sad thing is the 'stuff' we can add and do to pets, is great, the new pets look ok, but the way the whole training system is implemented is just so onorous and misses the needs completely requiring an out of game fix to make it 'user friendly'.
I really don't think it's as dire as you are making it out. At worst you will simply need to keep in mind the points you need for abilities. That's gonna be 500 or 100 for any of them, so at most you'll just need to keep back 100, 200, 500, 600 or 700 (think that's all) points per level up, which doesn't require much effort. It tells you how many points you will have left over when making a purchase.

I'm all for improving it, but you make it sound unusable, which is too harsh a criticism, IMO.

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That UI is very similar to imbuing UI, so if you are familiar with that it should be fairly simple. It needs a few tweaks, but it's probably fairly close to "as good as it gets" for a system this complex.
Now, IMO, they did not need to complicate things as much in order to make most tamers happy, but you know what they say about opinions...

Turbo

Adventurer
Searching for the right pet will still be an ongoing goal. The better the stats your pet has the more spare training points you will have to spend on other things. for eg, if your pet has 600str and it caps at 700 you only need to train 100 more to cap it. If it was 500str you would have to waste an extra100hp worth of training points to cap it.

It is also possible to find a bad gd that is only 4 slots and do some training on it to bring it back to 5 slots which might make it more powerful than a high quality one that is 5 slots and cant be trained. I have seen one but wasnt able to tame it to find out. It had bard difficulty of 149.

Uvtha

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Searching for the right pet will still be an ongoing goal. The better the stats your pet has the more spare training points you will have to spend on other things. for eg, if your pet has 600str and it caps at 700 you only need to train 100 more to cap it. If it was 500str you would have to waste an extra100hp worth of training points to cap it.

It is also possible to find a bad gd that is only 4 slots and do some training on it to bring it back to 5 slots which might make it more powerful than a high quality one that is 5 slots and cant be trained. I have seen one but wasnt able to tame it to find out. It had bard difficulty of 149.
Really depends on how many boosts you get and how far those boosts take you. If you can max everything out at lower stat levels then high ones don't matter.

Over cap stats will always matter, but I feel like there aren't too many cases where that matters. :/

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Searching for the right pet will still be an ongoing goal. The better the stats your pet has the more spare training points you will have to spend on other things. for eg, if your pet has 600str and it caps at 700 you only need to train 100 more to cap it.
That would have been the case if the slot requirement did not scale with the stats.Currently the better stats your pet has, the higher slot requirement is (there go your spare training points) all the way to more than 5 at which point the pet is not trainable.

I think wild pets should all have the same slot requirements regardless of stats. Then it will make sense to look for a good pet.

Turbo

Adventurer
That just adds to the importance of finding the perfect pet. Highest stats possible without going up a slot. The main point is that aspect of finding the best pet wont be lost with the revamp

railshot

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That just adds to the importance of finding the perfect pet. Highest stats possible without going up a slot. The main point is that aspect of finding the best pet wont be lost with the revamp
That, would be an even more thankless pursuit than trying to find a high stat turtle, i.e. nobody will bother.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
That, would be an even more thankless pursuit than trying to find a high stat turtle, i.e. nobody will bother.
Finding a good turtle will be a walk in the park compared to finding a good frost dragon :D

You sometimes(not always) spawn them on diabolical level 7 maps, maps which you very occasionally get in level 6 chests, and even then only on those maps in Fel or Tram....

Oh and to get the level 6 maps with a tiny chance to contain a level 7, you have to get lucky on a level 5 chest, or spend a long time fighting high paragons(AW etc) in ilsh which occasionally have a paragon chest, then you have to hope the lev 6 map in that chest isnt Ilsh, Ter mur or Malas :D

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Finding a good turtle will be a walk in the park compared to finding a good frost dragon :D

You sometimes(not always) spawn them on diabolical level 7 maps, maps which you very occasionally get in level 6 chests, and even then only on those maps in Fel or Tram....

Oh and to get the level 6 maps with a tiny chance to contain a level 7, you have to get lucky on a level 5 chest, or spend a long time fighting high paragons(AW etc) in ilsh which occasionally have a paragon chest, then you have to hope the lev 6 map in that chest isnt Ilsh, Ter mur or Malas :D
Why tame a Frost Dragon, when the White Wyrm fills the exact same role/niche when leveled via the new Pet Training?
Miasma in the Labyrinth drops Lvl 6 Chests like crazy.

WhiteWitch

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Why tame a Frost Dragon, when the White Wyrm fills the exact same role/niche when leveled via the new Pet Training?
Miasma in the Labyrinth drops Lvl 6 Chests like crazy.
I just like them, havent really tested WWs on TC yet, havent tried Shadow wyrms since they fixed the 5 slot+tiny HP thing yet either., been using my human tamer a lot on TC and, lets face it, any 5 slot non-rideable is going to be a Gargoyle pet only after the patch.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I just like them, havent really tested WWs on TC yet, havent tried Shadow wyrms since they fixed the 5 slot+tiny HP thing yet either., been using my human tamer a lot on TC and, lets face it, any 5 slot non-rideable is going to be a Gargoyle pet only after the patch.
WWs have the ability to be more offensively powerful than a GD or Frost Dragon when leveled with the new Training system. Up their Wrest cap to 120, up their Stam to 150, and since they don't have Dragon Breath or Bleed Attack, they have room for other abilities like AI or Whirlwind.
Shadow Wyrms are still fairly crappy. They're neither as tanky, nor as offensively powerful as a GD. Since they're no longer Subjugated (1/2 Health) after tame, then crappy ones can no longer be tamed at 4 Control Slots, which was the only saving grace they had.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
WWs have the ability to be more offensively powerful than a GD or Frost Dragon when leveled with the new Training system. Up their Wrest cap to 120, up their Stam to 150, and since they don't have Dragon Breath or Bleed Attack, they have room for other abilities like AI or Whirlwind.
Shadow Wyrms are still fairly crappy. They're neither as tanky, nor as offensively powerful as a GD. Since they're no longer Subjugated (1/2 Health) after tame, then crappy ones can no longer be tamed at 4 Control Slots, which was the only saving grace they had.

Sad I had high hopes for a Shadow Wyrm... They seem so strong when you are fighting them... but I guess they are not all they seem. The one I tamed on TC was before the change and you are right it stunk... but yeah if you can't at least take it from 4 to 5 it's junk.