• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Senior Staff Revitalizing Stratics!

Taylor

Former Stratics CEO (2011-2014)
VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
Does this mean the RSS feeds will have some current data in them... our site uses your RSS feed and it's like pre Cata stuff...
Yep. Littlepie has a big job ahead of him trying to sort through what's usable and what's out of date. Once that's done, we will be able to launch the new site.

In the meantime, you would probably be safe to disable the RSS feed. The new site will be entirely different. No additional content will be added to the current one.

Btw, Littlepie is looking for volunteers to help get the site ready to launch. If any of you folks are interested, we can send applications your way. ;)

Littlepie

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Btw, Littlepie is looking for volunteers to help get the site ready to launch. If any of you folks are interested, we can send applications your way. ;)
Mega this!

Can you tell me where this RSS feed is coming from and I shall seize control of it!

Cirno

Purple Pony Princess
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The ice cream is a lie.
Really.

/me hoards all that's left of the ice cream

Storm

UO Forum Moderator
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Awards
Oh yes i play but usually when i am waiting on a uo publish like now or when I need a change of scene from uo (and after over a decade this happens some times) also play evony.

currently having a graphics issue with wow that is really starting to bother me!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Which forum software are you guys looking at? IPB? XenForo?

IPB would be the next most logical choice, many of the vB3/Jelsoft era people have moved to it. Along with that comes many of the old vB3 plugin developers.

XenForo is new, but gaining ground. Its got a nice end user experience once you get past that whole "web 2.0" thing. Its slowly growing on me. I have no back end experience with it though.

We've been testing/developing internally with IPB as of late. And will be making the move on all sites by 2012.

I sure do miss Jelsoft and the vB3 platform. Especially when my owned licenses went kaput. ARGH!

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
XenForo is intriguing, but not yet scalable to a community of this size (imo). For example, XF doesn't currently have an infraction system, which totally baffles me. I like IPB, as well, but as with XF, there is no warning/infraction system.

I use vB4.x on a couple of sites, which I like, but there are still several hundred bugs that haven't been fixed. Moreover, there have been a lot of complaints since IB purchased vBulletin (e.g., Adam's post above).

Currently, we're testing MyBB1.6.2. With the right plugins, I've found that it actually provides better functionality than vB3.7. Plus, it is still undergoing development, whereas vB3.x is end-of-life. The downside is that there is currently an issue with the MyBB Merge System that makes vB3.7 PMs unreadable. I just submitted a request into the bug tracker a couple days ago, so hopefully this will be fixed soon.

We'll see.

hungry4knowhow

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
XenForo is intriguing, but not yet scalable to a community of this size (imo). For example, XF doesn't currently have an infraction system, which totally baffles me. I like IPB, as well, but as with XF, there is no warning/infraction system.

I use vB4.x on a couple of sites, which I like, but there are still several hundred bugs that haven't been fixed. Moreover, there have been a lot of complaints since IB purchased vBulletin (e.g., Adam's post above).

Currently, we're testing MyBB1.6.2. With the right plugins, I've found that it actually provides better functionality than vB3.7. Plus, it is still undergoing development, whereas vB3.x is end-of-life. The downside is that there is currently an issue with the MyBB Merge System that makes vB3.7 PMs unreadable. I just submitted a request into the bug tracker a couple days ago, so hopefully this will be fixed soon.

We'll see.
I see, I find it hard to fathom that there is no warning/infraction system for IPB. I'll have a look around and see if I can drum something up. Though I'm sure you've already done that. I just can't believe its not there. I've found nearly everything(not everything though) that I needed for vB plugins on IPB.

And yes, I'd agree with the proceed with caution with XenForo. I don't know of any communities of Stratics scale using it. I wouldn't want to be the tester haha.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I was just doing some more research in the ACP at wow.tgn.tv. Looks like IPB has a warning system, which can lead to suspension--not banning. In short, it has a system, but it is not as robust as vB's.

And yes, I don't want to go down in history as the guy who killed Stratics. There will be much, much testing before any changes are made. :D

V

vance99

This really nice i think i have got a lot of ideas from this one

Nexus

Site Support
Administrator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED

We'll see.
VB Licenses aren't cheap to get or maintain. That's a big consideration, I think for Forum + Mobile support (which we have now) for VB 4 is like $370ish...

Much better to look to something that's GPL or LGPL Licensed that will fit the bill, for many reasons. Primarily custom modifications are not only allowed but encouraged. Maybe something like N2, or MyBB, even Fluxbb or FUDForum aren't half bad.

Taylor

VIP
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Benefactor
I'm kinda stuck at this point. No matter which software we choose, there are so many styles that would need to be converted (or, in my opinion, updated), so many plugins we use here that don't exist elsewhere (e.g., live feed), so many potential problems during the conversion. Moving is in the back of my mind, but I think we'll have to wait at least until we have everything moved to WordPress.