• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New Plants Wish List for DEV Consideration!

D

DHMagicMan_1

Thanks for the new plants. They are MUCH appreciated and a LONG time in coming. Not that we aren't grateful for the addition, but since the initial gardening system has proven a very rich and robust system and kept our interest for 4+ years, we'd like to see that system improved and built upon, rather than more Bonsai type plants added. With that in mind here's a few changes I'd like to see made that I believe would need very limited new coding, most would need NO new artwork, and would be well received by most gardeners and players.

1. The 17 new plants should be in their own crossable plant system. Generate seeds (even without resources) and we should be able to grow the ones we want on demand.
  2. Fertile Dirt takes WAY too much per bowl to be useful. Based on drop ratio of 1-5 dirt per kill, and most mobs drop none, we should be able to use somewhere between 8 to 12 fertile dirt per bowl to grow a plant.
  3. Even if you don't add all the shades and colors for all the 17 new plants, please consider adding the 4 shades available through the Naturalist quest. That way we can double the number of different random seeds available through the naturalist quest. Lots of fun for everyone!
  4. Allow Seeds to stack if they are identified (self polinated). Give us some way to store seeds... seed boxes, packets something. This has new art but we've been waiting over 4 years... PLEASE!!!
  5. Auto Find Water in pack if available as it does for all potions. If not available in pack then targeting cursor as currently works. (Copied request from UHall Boards Thread)

Thanks for your consideration.

B

Beastmaster

IMO, they will probably not do #1 or #3 anytime in the next year. But maybe we have a shot at #2 and #4. They could easily change the code to require 10 fertile dirt per bowl instead of 40 if we can convince them of it. The seed packet wouldn't really require new art as I'm sure there's some suitable graphic that could be rehued to serve it's purpose. It would probably need some sort of gump though and the background coding to suppport its behavior.

I suggest we flesh out how we'd like seed packets to behave. I'd like them to work like potion kegs. Only 1 type goes in a packet and any attempts to add another would fail. Also I'd like to be able to label them without having to make/buy some kind of engraving tool. A neat way to label them would be to right click the packet and get a target cursor which you then target a seed OR grown plant with to have its name applied. Removing seeds would be done through a gump?? or double click and get a normal quantity gump showing the number in the packet which you could edit then press enter to have them drop out?? What about packet weight and item count? 1 stone per packet with a 50 seed max capacity? Item count = seeds/10 rounding up to next whole number?

D

DHMagicMan_1

My preference would be that the seed collection be something close to a BOD book where you could store many different seeds and sort them by color, type etc and have it show you how many you have of each one...

The problem is so many of the seed gardeners have are always "Unknown" to one degree or another. We always know the color but normally even if we "know" the type the system doesn't trust that we know so it won't tell us. Therefore, the items can't be "stacked or stored" as identical.

I think they would need to make the ITEM ID skill ID seeds that are "unknown" within the game... so we can ID them and then store them, or short of that, simply give us a way to stack or store seeds which are KNOWN and say if they are unknown to any degree this will not work for you, sorry.

Either of these would be a compromise since I'd hate to waste skill points to ID seeds, but Soulstones are a wonderful thing... and being able to stack and store some seeds would be better than storing none at all...

Anything would help at this point.

T

Teeshy

(...)
  1. The 17 new plants should be in their own crossable plant system. Generate seeds (even without resources) and we should be able to grow the ones we want on demand.
(...)
I don't agree with this one, but the rest I do (though I truly dislike the coloured plants as they are at this time in 2D client ;))

I really like that these plants can't generate seeds and that we can't grow the ones we want "on demand"

I like that I have to go out and hunt for the seeds, and I like the surprise of not knowing *exactly* what I am growing =) It's more of an adventure. Otherwise, in theory, all a person *ever* has to do is find ONE seed, and from then on in keep growing form their own stock - and then what's the point of the monster's even dropping the seeds?

I'm a big kid - I LIKE surprises, I LIKE not knowing exactly what I'm getting ;) And I like having to "work" more for getting it =)

E

Eslake

[*]The 17 new plants should be in their own crossable plant system.
Since we already have all 17, they have already skipped past that as a potential. :(
[*]Fertile Dirt takes WAY too much per bowl to be useful. Based on drop ratio of 1-5 dirt per kill, and most mobs drop none, we should be able to use somewhere between 8 to 12 fertile dirt per bowl to grow a plant.
I doubt they would, since they gave us a renewable source of fertile dirt with green thorns. 1 such plant produces 8 thorns - if all 8 are used in dirt, the AVERAGE fertile dirt produced is enough for about 6 more plants.
[*]Auto Find Water in pack if available as it does for all potions. If not available in pack then targeting cursor as currently works. (Copied request from UHall Boards Thread)
Definitely agree with this one!

As to seed packs. We're still begging, and still being told it's in consideration/on the board/etc after this many years, so I'm not holding my breath.
But I am firmly in the group of believers that ItemID should allow us to ID a seed, whether we ever get sortable containers for them or not.

D

DHMagicMan_1

I would agree with the 8 green thorns to collect enough dirt for about 4 or 5 more plants (I don't think I'd ever get enough for 6) if it wasn't for the delay in using green thorns so you have to take about 30+ minutes to use 8 green thorns... killing ant lions takes under a minute a piece and they respawn basically immediately but using thorns you basically have to wait and do nothing else... :(

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
One point for the devs I think is very important now is to fix the fact the new bursted plants cannot be tended in locked down modus.

As I am one that does grows her plants lockeddown, as one pointed out in another thread, it is the fastest way to grow them. And I love to see the effect on the burst days :)

D

DHMagicMan_1

I don't object to them fixing the new plants in Lock-Down mode... but that's a bug fix... I'm pretty sure it should be easily addressed.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say it's the fastest way to grow plants?

I grow 4 packs of 25 on my toon and another 4 on my bug so I can grow 200 per toon if I want... and I can easily skip a day by not logging that toon in if I choose. Then using UOA I can use the Use Once agents to move through each pack very quickly... I don't see how going through 200 plants locked down on a roof or something could be any quicker?

S

Stucky

I don't see how going through 200 plants locked down on a roof or something could be any quicker?
I use to do this because when they became plants it is easier to tend/target them stacked and locked down. I know the new ones are bigger, but I'd stack them 5 high with spacing care of the deco tool. Now I don't do all of that because I don't trust myself to log in everyday and I keep them in bags on person and beetle. It still takes a LOOOONG time to complete a days cycle (especially like my current one that starts at 3am).

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't object to them fixing the new plants in Lock-Down mode... but that's a bug fix... I'm pretty sure it should be easily addressed.

Out of curiosity, what makes you say it's the fastest way to grow plants?

I grow 4 packs of 25 on my toon and another 4 on my bug so I can grow 200 per toon if I want... and I can easily skip a day by not logging that toon in if I choose. Then using UOA I can use the Use Once agents to move through each pack very quickly... I don't see how going through 200 plants locked down on a roof or something could be any quicker?
I am not claiming tending them goes faster, although I think I got quite handy doing it "my way" :)

I claiming for me they grow faster this way and I do not have to pay attention to the timetable of logging my chars if they holding plants. I tend to forget this timetable due to RL, playing another game, out hunting in UO etc etc.

Someone had a very nice expaination of how the locked downs grow the fastest, but I cannot find atm, if I do I will quote the post.

Last but not least I claim to be a gardner, I like 'seeing' the plants grow in my house, I have greenery where I work in, I just like playing this way. I like seeing plants all over the place.
I love my burst days when all goes into bloom.

Lord Gareth

UO Content Editor | UO Chesapeake & Rares News
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
IMHP

Pink or Purple or blaze bushes? Give me a break how cartoon do we want Ultima Online to look.Look at my Pink hedge maze.....ewww...its like alice in wonderland.

No dont make them give seeds because its more worth while to go out and hunt them. The whole point of giving no seeds is so you HAVE TO DO SOMETHING!!!! If they let them give seeds everyone will do it and no one will do plants in four months it will be old then you all will complain you have nothing to do and want more plants.

Fertile dirt spawn 1-5 or something on all ant lions. Fertile dirt was not made to come by easy. It is a perk that if you get it its cool.

I guess I dont understand why everyone wants everything given to them on a plater these days. let them gie seeds so I can sit in my house all by myself and not interact. Point in not giving seeds is to get people to go hunt and run into others who are hunting the seeds a promot community. Neon colors eww again they would look dumb on the new plants...Now that I thinik of it besides hedges a PINK SWAMP TREE?!!??! wth? Stackable seeds yes agreeable.

For watering them its not that hard you click the botton and I set target last to mouse wheel up. So I just mouse wheel it up.

Seriously if I was the one who did the plant system which im not id be like you guys are nuts and lazy. Its not like its that hard and we dont need more eye sore Neon in the game. We already have eye sore Customizable houses that are four story marble box buildings with swamp tiles for a floor.

A

Amathist of PoC

1) Stackable trees
2) Plants for different seasons - maybe a tree with orange leaves, Tulips and other bulb flowers, poinsettia (sort of like Christmas ones), maybe some holly. havestable grain.
3) maybe another add on to the hedges like an arch or topiaries.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just thought of something I would like, though it is not changes to the plants but plant related:

Craftable Flower pots

Does this count in this thread ?

D

DHMagicMan_1

My idea behind starting this thread was hoping to collect ideas from many gardeners in one place so that maybe the DEV team would think about solving some of the bothersome issues that still exist in gardening. Some are "Fixes and Tweaks" like "Can't tend locked down new plants after stage 7" or "Auto find water in Backpack similar to potions"... while others are more "Wish List" like Stackable seeds, Item ID, Naturalist Quest Hues for new plants, Crossable New Plants (without new hues)...

My initial list was trying to have very little in the way of new art work because we know the artists are fully booked and if we ask for less art we might have a better chance of squeezing something in thee.

Anyone is welcome to contribute their ideas and wish list items as well.

I have a feeling asking for new plants or craftables which don't currently exist which will all require new art will all be delayed for extended periods but we can hope. I don't object to any of these ideas.

W

Wynne

Just thought of something I would like, though it is not changes to the plants but plant related:

Craftable Flower pots

Does this count in this thread ?
I like this idea. The minotaur artifacts type vases would be nice to be craftable.

Seed packets - yes. Like BOD books, sortable by color, type, etc.

Allow the 'new' plants to produce seeds. YES. At least allow self-pollination so that we can easily fill orders for multiple types of plants OR create our own gardens more easily without having to grow bunches of plants that aren't as desirable OR what's ordered. Imagine how long it's going to take to get enough hedges (short or tall) for any even modest order. We have to spend time growing something that might not be the plant we want.

Water without targeting. Yes!

Fix the lock down 'you can't access that" bug for the new plants. Please.

F

Flora Green

2. Fertile Dirt takes WAY too much per bowl to be useful. Based on drop ratio of 1-5 dirt per kill, and most mobs drop none, we should be able to use somewhere between 8 to 12 fertile dirt per bowl to grow a plant.
  3. Even if you don't add all the shades and colors for all the 17 new plants, please consider adding the 4 shades available through the Naturalist quest. That way we can double the number of different random seeds available through the naturalist quest. Lots of fun for everyone!
  4. Allow Seeds to stack if they are identified (self polinated). Give us some way to store seeds... seed boxes, packets something. This has new art but we've been waiting over 4 years... PLEASE!!!
  5. Auto Find Water in pack if available as it does for all potions. If not available in pack then targeting cursor as currently works. (Copied request from UHall Boards Thread)

Thanks for your consideration.
Absolutely agree we need seed storage and a water fix. I can live without cross-pollination, but she needs to go back and make the new plants self-pollinate. Fertile dirt I am neutral on because I rarely use it.

I do hope they will add more plants in the future, but only if it's done properly. We need sugar and vanilla producers and hopefully something will come from hops. Other producers such as flax and cotton plants should be added, etc. My other request is for decorative containers. Various sizes, shapes and material would be appreciated. Marble, terra cotta and so on.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just thought of something I would like to have:

I grow box, or an option to set a sercure to 'growing modus'.

So we can grow and tend plants from a secure.
That will have it's check at downtime.

D

DHMagicMan_1

Just thought of something I would like to have:

I grow box, or an option to set a sercure to 'growing modus'.

So we can grow and tend plants from a secure.
That will have it's check at downtime.
I'd like the idea of a "Grow Box" or "Green House" as a Vet Reward... but hear me out... Holds no more than 12 or 24 plant at a time, you load it and hit start and you leave it alone through minimum of 2 down times... if it hasn't been long enough you get "It's not ready yet" and if it's been more than 3 down times you get "They've been neglected and died." but if you check it after either 2 or 3 down times you have 12 or 24 plants at stage 7 all Vibrant with random yellows for water, bugs and fungus... All plants loaded in Green House must be loaded with Fertile Dirt.

You wouldn't have to load it full if you don't want but you can't add or remove in the middle of the cycle.

Thoughts?

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
If it was upto me they would just grow regular style.
And that they have 125 spots just like a regular container. (and take house locks accordingly to the amount dropped in the container just like every secure does)
I also don't wish to start up yet another spreadsheet to keep track of a new plant system.

My idea behind the "Grow Box" was more to relieve the hassle of timing plants chars.
And now with the hassle of the new style plants not being able to tend in lockdown modus, I am forced to put plants on chars.

I play one account, have one house, I do not mind using my locks for plants, I do mind having them on chars and keeping these on a timer.
My bank boxes are full with other stuff so I have my house mostly for my plants.
Also I grow so many plants it wouldn't fit on one char, and the for others I play actively with, means if I wish to go hunt they need to lock the plants down and not forget to pick them up before (re)logging, for this reason aswell they do not use beetles.

I like the way it is that one needs to checkup and tend the plants once a day, gives the feeling one is growing stuff.
But it would be nice to have to freedom to choose WHEN that once a day is.
And not worry because one is for whatever reason delayed to have your timing messed up and in the worst case loose a day growth.
I myself am so used to "lockdown" plant growing, and having them on the same timer.
This, the character timing thing and not to have to sacrifce a character as a plant holder, are the main reasons why I came up with this idea.

D

DHMagicMan_1

My suggesting a Vet Reward Green House wasn't to say it wouldn't be nice to have a way to grow plants inside something in a normal way too.

I just think there's not much benefit to Fertile Dirt and I'd like to see them create this other box that can make small numbers of plants very quickly using FD and make it a Vet Reward...

Sorry if you thought I was discounting your request for normal "Secure" gardening.

Umfufu

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ah in that case I wouldnt' mind such an addition, although I am not sure how many gardners like hunting for the dirt :)

I myself like hunting for the dirt, but have heard several fellow gardners claim it is not worth the effort and/or complain thier gardner is not really setup for hunting.
(Same concern was raised for this new seed hunting)

D

DHMagicMan_1

I don't like hunting for the dirt when it's 40 per plant for MAYBE one or two jump days per plant...

I WOULD however use 40 FD for a guaranteed day 7 plant after 2 down times using a "Incubator" or "Hot Box" or whatever they call it... some sort of small Vet Reward.

J

J0KING

I really like the idea of a "green house" considering my roof is now covered with plants that I have to unlock to care for...

Also, there should be a way to store the seeds if they can not be made stackable...

Also, agree with lowering the amount of fertile dirt needed. Havent spent the time collecting it because of the amount it takes for just one plant... if anything maybe after filling the pot with soil, we can add 10-20 fertile dirt to fertilize it...

Have Fun!!!