• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

New EM will be hired for Siege

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Hi Guys,

Jeff and I talked and we both feel we should give Siege one last chance to keep an Event Moderator on Siege. Please understand there is a lot of time that goes into setting them up, training, shadowing and so forth before the can start.

So yes I have hired a new EM, yes you will be getting the global event. Please please please do not abuse your future EM (much).

Mesanna

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Abuse? I don't think anyone on this shard has ever abused the EM. I do know of two who quit due to a lack support and resources from Mesanna needed to properly do their job on this ruleset.

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Thanks for the post Mesanna. Just make sure the EM is familiar with and understand the Siege ruleset and that she/he doesn´t expect to have 30+ players at every event then I think it will go well.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
should have some sort of "shard initiation" where he can talk to the players here before he tries to set up any events, would hate for something silly to happen like him to post for everyone to meet up for the event in castle brit at 4:30 EST on a friday and wonder why nobody shows up. (i think we all remember the incident with queen dawn's coffin, whish was shortly followed by the fairly aggrivating incident with virtuebane)

EMDrosselmeyer

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I sincerely hope you're not trying to speak for me, IanJames. For what it's worth, in my case it had absolutely nothing to do with any 'lack of resources or support'...in fact, I was just as well supported and given every bit as many resources on Siege as I am given on Chesapeake. Unfortunately, I was unable to continue (Which I deeply regret) due to a lack of time on my own part. This lack of time was the only reason I was unable to continue on EM'ing here, and any notion to the contrary is incorrect.

EM Dudley

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Abuse? I don't think anyone on this shard has ever abused the EM. I do know of two who quit due to a lack support and resources from Mesanna needed to properly do their job on this ruleset.
I'm not entirely sure where you received this information from, but I can assure you that in the 3+ years I've been working with Mesanna I've never seen any indication that she has provided anything but 200% of her support and resources to making sure that we all succeed. Any account to the contrary is suspect at best.

That being said the entire EM team works to support each other so that we all can provide players with the most stimulating and engaging content we can. I think I can speak for all of us when I say we eagerly await the newest addition to our team and look forward to helping them learn the ropes.

Mesanna

UO Producer | Dark OverLady
VIP
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the post Mesanna. Just make sure the EM is familiar with and understand the Siege ruleset and that she/he doesn´t expect to have 30+ players at every event then I think it will go well.
The person I hired knows Siege and should work well with you guys. I think you guys everyone will enjoy him/her =)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
*smiles* Thank you.

Let us all hope for the best and support a new EM.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dross, I was certainly not speaking for you. You did a fine job while you were here.

Dudley, accounts here are limited to one character, including the EM accounts. That doesn't make it easy for the EM to switch npc type characters for role play purposes.

I'm sorry if my hackles are up, but Mesanna implied that we've abused our EMs in the past, and I'm sure that we never have.

Bennu

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I do know of two who quit due to a lack support and resources from Mesanna needed to properly do their job on this ruleset.
No you don't.

Every EM, no matter what server they are on is given equal support, time and resources to do their job.

Any failings are due to the individual EM in question and have nothing to do with 'lack of support' whatsoever.

It doesn't matter if your accusation is made up, or from a mysterious 'former' disgruntled EM who isn't named, you are wrong in your information and your comment is WAY off base.

Keep in mind that the EM program is something totally unique to UO in this Genre. Throwing baseless accusations around as if they are fact gives others a poor notion of a program that does nothing but provide each and every player that wishes to participate a good time and something unique to each and every server.

Remember that your words will be around forever. Any time someone types in a certain string of words they will find your post and the inaccuracies contained therein.

We now live in an age and participate in a genre were words can HURT. Perception and Reputation ARE very important.

Be careful with what you say, especially if it is baseless and not at all based on fact.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Peace friends. Please.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Ok. I dont know who hit the "come to Mesannas defense button", but I do know my facts. There are three sides to every story i have one, you have one and someone else has one i only know what i was told by two former EMs The rest of you should butt out. You are all starting to look like a bunch of little cheerleaders.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And I have no idea why most of the periods in those sentences didn't come through.

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I am too. I still want to know why Mesanna is blaming this community for running off EMs.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Many folks are Taz. Many folks are. I look forward with a positive attitude and hope a Siege Mod will be successful.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I am too. I still want to know why Mesanna is blaming this community for running off EMs.
That is a good and fair question. I think the comment was in jest. A tongue and cheek nod to the rough and tumble nature of the shard.

T

Tazar

At a guess - it's the same reason so many players have been run off of Siege...

Players whose play-styles are intended to ruin the fun for others.

I don't believe Mesanna's post was intended to be "Blaming this community" - but I do think there are specific problem members (and they know who they are) just as there are in any community.

This is Siege - and I do not intend that statement to be anti-pk or anything... some of the nicest folk I have met on Siege are PK's.

Raptor85

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't really want to make this a "em's vs everyone" fight here, but I can understand IanJames frustration here, it's a bit of a slap on the face to blame the players for near a half DECADE of no EM on siege, any players that even could have been an issue back then moved on 3-4 years ago and there's simply been nothing in-between, aside from EM DrosselMeyer's guest event which was quite nicely done and I don't think either he nor any players who attended have any problem with him, and the EM before that had notified us that he left due to personal lack of time so i'm a bit unsure of what EM "abuse" ever actualy occured here, as it would have had to be well before my time on this shard. I appreciate finally getting an em here but calling it our "last chance" as if it's somehow our fault is a bit unnecessary and hurtful :/

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Tazar I attended most nearly every EM event, and the siege community has always worked together to enjoy the events in methods of cooperation not seen on any other shard. I really don't think any EM was run off this shard by the players here.

Sure we have our share of pains in the ass, but our events were never disrupted in a way that we couldn't take care of ourselves.

If her comment was in jest, then why does she say "one more chance"?

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I still have a ton of screen shots (125 of them!) from EM Drosselmeyer's meet and greet stored here, Mesanna, if you and Jeff and Siege's new EM want to review them to see how the Siege community handled that meeting on April 27, 2011: http://photobucket.com/EMDrosselmeyerSiegeIntro . There should be an option near the top to view the screen shots as a slideshow, if you want. If you decide to view as a slide show, once you're in the slide show use the Options link near the top right corner to slow down or accelerate the speed of the slide show.

Alcor

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
*breaks long Stratics silence to comment*

I would also like to add my voice to the idea that the Siege population were abusing the EMs. I would say it is to the contrary: on Siege you never have the "gimme my stuff" crowd or the spammers seen on many other shards. The only "abuse" has been the odd thief who has made it difficult to operate at times, but that is just thieves being thieves and something which I believe was fixed by stopping them being able to steal from the EM.

One of the main problems with Siege EMs has been that several have been appointed and then have just not done their job or gone AWOL for long periods (I'm not talking about Drosselmeyer, by the way). But that is mainly the fault of these people themselves for not bothering with their commitment, not that of the Siege community.

I don't know who has been feeding Mesanna/the devs this rubbish about player abuse. Perhaps it is the same person/people that made Mesanna rescind an offer to reappoint me as EM because, apparently, I was the GM of the NEW guild.

QueenZen

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
:)
Is sorry and apologetic to Mesanna & the EMs from Chesapeake, when at Easter event,
I first, only blurted out, at yall, saying: WHAT ABOUT SIEGE ?

I meant to at least say to yall, 'Happy Easter,' first before blurtin out:
WHAT ABOUT SIEGE ? :(

To the new EM, we have still, a few lovely spiffy houses, on Siege
that are EM built, in case ye need shelter, in the storm.

But this ol' lady has also posted on Stratics Ches. Forum,
whense they were all complaining like lil spoiled children,
about this or that EM events held there,
& I shouted at THEM as customers, sayin'

'yall are spoiled rotten as EA UO Customers,
just be thankful that you 'have' 2 EMs working hard, here on Chesapeake,
tryin to do their best, & cuz some shards, have yet, no EMs.'

At any rate thank you, Mesanna, for all your own hard work,
I know sometimes ye are spread pretty thin, in so much that you do accomplish.
There are some really nice folks/customers on Siege.

Anyhow thank you, and GOOD LUCK to the new hiree,
hope ye come to know & love Siege as much, as some of us do.

*goes to hide from spiffy EM VIP shields, cuz they know how, to find me, on 2 shards* :) ;)

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From Jeff's tweets, it seems that he's been told that we have low turn out at our events. Now, we all know that's just not true. So, please, if you want to have more invested in Siege, let's make sure that these upcoming events are well attended.

Sprago

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
From Jeff's tweets, it seems that he's been told that we have low turn out at our events. Now, we all know that's just not true. So, please, if you want to have more invested in Siege, let's make sure that these upcoming events are well attended.
THe problem in the past is that the EM's get discoraged becasue they set up events and becasue of our low population there isnt much of a turn out and then they quit
WHat we need is a EM that understnads this and doesnt quit just becasue of the low amount of attendence. If an EM keeps with it and doesnt get discouraged and keep trying they will get more and better turn outs

MESSANA thank you for trying to help out our shard but please dont make this our "last chance" as you put it we deserve to be given a full time EM just like the rest of the shards we shouldnt be put on back burner like that we should be treated just the same as the rest

IanJames

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, it must be kept in mind that Siege players have multiple accounts, but they can't show up on 15 accounts at an event.

Symma

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What I'd like to say is that for the majority of us, who are not in the 'loop', it is dis-heartening to see someone leave and not know why.

But back to the point, I look forward to the EM and repeat what others have said.

Viva la Siege!

Adrianas

Sage
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have not been a player on Siege for as long as some of the other posters, above, have been. I do know that Siege can be challenging for any EM, and that sometimes the higher ups seem to not realize how deep the small, loyal community of Siege players is. Mesanna has helped me in game personally, and I am in her debt for that. While I have no idea why she would infer that this was our 'last chance' (and yes, that bothered me as well), I will chalk it up to my misunderstanding and leave it at that unless proven otherwise.

Personally, I would challenge all EMs who work on other shards to make one character on Siege (as some of you have already done - *nods to Tazar as an example*). For one thing, it's hard to realize what it is that makes Siege "Siege" until you've played here for a while. Think of it as an 'escape' from the crowded shards you might be EMing on. Don't try to commit large chunks of time to it - but if you can, commit to playing regularly, even if for just a short period of time. There is much that can be learned on Siege. Just remember that unless a question is asked in General Chat, we are often quiet on Siege - both in words and movement. It's not really because we 'fear' other players. No, a lot of it is because a large majority of the players on Siege are over the age of 30, and even more over the age of 50. We are real life musicians, mechanics, retired doctors, legal secretaries, graduate students, disabled was veterans and much more (even one who is a nun!). I would love a demographic study of the shards overall. With a very few (and often loud) exceptions, Siege is where people come to play once they have "grown up." Where they can be content being a crafter or can enjoy the challenge of the hunt - even if that's a hunt that gets raided. Oh - and if you come to Siege. . . . Find a guild or a faction to join. It is a misconception that we 'play alone' on Siege. Get into General Chat.

We are the hidden gem of Ultima Online. And closer to what Richard Garriott envisioned when he first concieved of this game than what many might expect.

Okay. Of of soapbox, before some smart alecks start piling wood around the base of it!

T

TexasBlack

Well as a returning player to Siege I took a vacation away from the gaming world to focus on family issues. I'm glad I did but I'm even happier to return to Siege now that I have more time. As for us getting a new EM coming to Siege I'll be happy to see them in action. We need to revitalize and draw renewed attention to the shard to repopulate it. As someone that used to play on Lake Austin. Mainly because it's in my home town. I went to Siege for the challenge of playing a different flavor of UO I don't regret it for a second it's my main shard of choice. I don't mind the rule set yeah my friends on Siege i think enjoy it for similar reasons. Either way let's see where it goes.

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I too raised my hackles at the "last chance" comment. I bared a tooth or two, though, at the EM cheerleaders. Thanks for showing us your true colors, company reps should never "threaten" their customers, Bennu. You just showed why, historically, EM's were never allowed to post as such...

Remember that your words will be around forever. Any time someone types in a certain string of words they will find your post and the inaccuracies contained therein.

We now live in an age and participate in a genre were words can HURT. Perception and Reputation ARE very important.
Also, while I've not been active lately, and don't know about Messana's watch per se, I've been around. For awhile...Treefrog, Thor Ironside, Ironwill, Firedog, RD-Red Dragon, Warhand, and many other seers, troubadors (ok that program never really took off) and EM's have all described *horrible* support by Origin/EA/Mythic...

The statements made were not "baseless"

T'Challa

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Also, Ironwill deserved to be treated badly...one-hit vanqs indeed!

:p

EM Autolycus

UO Event Moderator
UO Event Moderator
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The lack of support was a problem from those past programs, perhaps. But, not this one. We had decent support when the program started, 3 years ago, and it has only got better. Alcor was partially right, in that half the Siege EM's assigned barely even showed up. Actually, one of them didn't. It wasn't a lack of support for the EMs, nor was it an "abusive" player base. Siege just kept drawing the short straw. :(

As a long-time Siege Perilous player, myself, I look forward to this new Event Moderator. SP is sort of this last vestige of UO purity. Where items are relatively meaningless, if one is unable to defend their self. I hope he/she is able to stick it out, and you all are able to come out and prove to the Dev and EM team why you're the best sort of players left in UO. I promise I'll be there to help the new EM wherever possible in making this work. Lord knows Siege deserves it.

Now if you'll excuse me, I have some uninsured weapons to go steal. :)

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
No you don't.

Every EM, no matter what server they are on is given equal support, time and resources to do their job.

Any failings are due to the individual EM in question and have nothing to do with 'lack of support' whatsoever.

It doesn't matter if your accusation is made up, or from a mysterious 'former' disgruntled EM who isn't named, you are wrong in your information and your comment is WAY off base.

Keep in mind that the EM program is something totally unique to UO in this Genre. Throwing baseless accusations around as if they are fact gives others a poor notion of a program that does nothing but provide each and every player that wishes to participate a good time and something unique to each and every server.

Be careful with what you say, especially if it is baseless and not at all based on fact.

I wasn't going to comment on this, but since you said "words will be arround forever"...

I PERSONALLY know both EM's that IanJames is talking about and they BOTH asked for secondary accounts since Siege has only one character per account and it was difficult to run an event with a single character/single account ruleset. As far as who they are, one of them is gone and one of them came back to play on Siege and as you know, it wouldnt be proper to identify them. If Mesanna wants to tell you, she will.

Now, maybe you should consider apologizing to IanJames for calling her a liar? Or better yet, stay off the Siege forum unless you have personal knowledge of what is being discussed. You should probably also apologize to the ex-EM's that you insulted for having "failings". They simply didn't think they should have to pay for multiple accounts to run multiple characters.

That said, Mesanna has also done some wonderful things for us and I'm more than willing to forgive her for what I think was a jest, slip of the tongue, or moment of frustration.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
There have been some unfortunant circumstances that have happened in the past. Know there are more sides to most stories than get presented. Let us try to leave these in the past. I am at a loss to explain the wording in the OP so I will not try to guess as to what it means.

That being said, let us see what the future holds for us and hope for a truly dedicated and creative EM for Siege.

Let us hope we can all learn from past experiences and create an exciting and fun place to play UO.

Vortex

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Sorry Kelmo, I did my best not to post but it raises my hackles when someone who doesnt know the facts accuses someone of not knowing the facts.

I too hope that we get a good EM and that we can take advantage of whatever time and attention he/she can give us.

I'm back by the way :D

VinnySP

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I hope that the new EM also will post times of events in every time zone as well.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Yeah, that post from Mesanna was bit offensive, implying that the rabble here on Siege have been graciously granted "one last chance" to not abuse an EM. Really? Just more evidence of how us Siegers are thought of.

Kael

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
That post from Mesanna was pretty offensive. Kinda made you feel like that Siege is that "ugly red headed step child" that she will grant one more chance to...just don't make her regret it

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Just roll with it, people. This is Siege.

FrejaSP

Queen of The Outlaws
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That post from Mesanna was pretty offensive. Kinda made you feel like that Siege is that "ugly red headed step child" that she will grant one more chance to...just don't make her regret it
I think we are the "ugly red headed step child" they wish they never did accept in the family. Oure father Runesable and the few Devs who understood us are long gone. I'm happy we get one more chance but if the events are made for normal shards, it may be hard for the new EM to make them fit Siege's special ruleset.
I really hope the new EM will make it but if he/she not get the power to make changes to the events and event items so it fit our shard, I fear it will be very hard and maybe impossible.

And as long useful PvP items (and resources to make them) are so expensive on Siege, they may soon get rid of their dying "ugly red headed step child"

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just roll with it, people. This is Siege.
So being Siege we are supposed to "roll with" being talked down to? Accused of things that aren't true? We should just "roll with" being talked to like we are an inconvenience and not a paying customer? Kelmo, get the pom-poms out of your hands, you'd be able to type something worthwhile then.

Afterglow

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
*cuts down Mesanna's post to the bare neccesarities with his a vanquishing butcher's knife*
"Siege gets a new EM" ...great news, also thanks to EM Drosselmeyer for his great services he did to Siege while being there!

Tjalle

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
The reason EM Drosselmeyer is no longer with us:

Sorry folks but I got him... ;)

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
So being Siege we are supposed to "roll with" being talked down to? Accused of things that aren't true? We should just "roll with" being talked to like we are an inconvenience and not a paying customer? Kelmo, get the pom-poms out of your hands, you'd be able to type something worthwhile then.
I guess you could just continue to pancake and moan about it. *shrugs* Yer choice.

Shh!

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'd much rather call a spade a spade then grovel and kiss the ass of people that don't even want me playing here. I refuse to feign appreciation when none is warranted.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord

Wolfman

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
And as long useful PvP items (and resources to make them) are so expensive on Siege, they may soon get rid of their dying "ugly red headed step child"
Hmm what exactly is "so expensive"? Gilfane (myself up front) is realy trying to provide even High End Loot for a reasonable price. Agreed, you will not get them for 10k!