[Discussion] New changes to vendors coming!

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Publish 81.0.0

Player vendor change

Any item that is identified as duped can not be placed on a vendor. If a duped item is on a vendor when we publish Pub 81 you can not purchase it. We highly suggest you go thru in- game vendors for all your UO needs.

I suppose people will get the jump on selling. You can bet there will be TONS of duped items in the next couple weeks all over vendors, probably at lower pricing than normal. I guess you can also copy your character over to test to see if you have any duped items too.

If you are concerned with duped items I suggest not buying anything off of a vendor until these changes have taken effect. At that time I would demand that the seller put it on a vendor to prove that it isn't duped EVEN if the item is going to be sold for more than 175 mil. Demand proof.

Though they do not say anything about the next stage concerning dupes be sure that there will be a next stage.

So, what are your opinions on this change?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
Pub 81 is a myth. if it ever goes live, i think its going to be armageddon for uo with the 1000 bugs itll bring with it. while im looking forward to the no dupes on vendors, and being able to take my crafter out of the corner. i wouldnt be surprised if houses went poof because they had a duped item on a vendor or something. With all the changes, it seems it should be split into 3 parts just to make sure the game doesnt break entirely. It definitly scares me.

Last edited:

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
I'm looking forward to picking up some bargains!

THP

Always Present
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 13, 2003
STEALTHING .... behind U
I was hoping they would simply make the ALL the duped stuff goooo ''poof'' when its put on a vendor- already in a vendor......would make sense....

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
If for example someone dupes full commodity deeds. Lets say 60k essence or any imbuing reagent of any value. That deed won't be placeable on a vendor as it will be flagged as duped.

What about if you then split the deed and sell the items in smaller bundles or simple re-deed the ingredients. Does it then change to "not duped" ?

I guess we won't know until the update is live. If this is possible then I don't see how these changes will effect much.

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
I was hoping they would simply make the ALL the duped stuff goooo ''poof'' when its put on a vendor- already in a vendor......would make sense....
There would be alot of naked characters!

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
You won't see a loss in resources, if the duped deeds are moved from deed to source then back to deed. I doubt the system knows they are duped after that point, especially when combined with other fresh mats. The real need is fixing the actual dupe, but I like this as a first step regardless.

I would be fully behind all duped items simply vanishing from vendors regardless if the seller knew it was duped or not.

LOTR

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Singapore
I have never been to TC. Does anyone know if you can place a house on TC? Will be cause your real house to decay? I hope to place a vendor to test the dupe items.

Faeryl

2011 Winter Deco Contest 1st Place
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 23, 2008
Southern Ontario, Canada
I have never been to TC. Does anyone know if you can place a house on TC? Will be cause your real house to decay? I hope to place a vendor to test the dupe items.
You can place a house on TC without your actual house going into decay. :)

Clops

Sage
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Dread Lord
Jun 27, 2008
I have a house placed on TC, and am happy to test anyone's items on my vendor. I think they still need to work out a few kinks. My 2-story statue was able to go on, so I must be the luckiest person alive to have the 'real' statue. :p But oddly, my 15y vet robe (which I won myself though the story contest has never left my main character's backpack) won't go on. Other things that were able to be put on the vendor include the Sphinx. MANY tokens were not allowed (transfer, advanced char, name change). I've only tested 'unique' items, so far. I'm going to go back through and test more.

Corpin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
I'm on the fence about duped items. If someone is lazy in a game, I imagine their real life is consumed with failures and disappointments. Anyway, if duped items were removed it would still be to the dupers benefit, they already made their profits. It will only hurt legitimate players that used legit gold gained through carpel tunnel inducing farming and dedicated saving.

The ability to now identify duped items is a very powerful tool, removing duped items will ONLY punish players with morals that carry over into virtual worlds.

In real life, if every single penny that at some point was gained through illegal activities be it drug dealing, robberies, the market of stolen goods etc was removed from hard working citizens pockets who would be the victims? It doesn't seem like a proper way to deal with it when put in those terms does it? Game or not, its the same principle.

IMHO, the people wanting duped items to go POOF need to really examine their motivations and reasoning -- Do you want good people punished or recognition for yourself having legal items? No matter the appearance on the surface, look inward and discover why it is you desire the removal of these duped items.

Stop the dupers, not the stand up players that have been unfortunate enough to acquire the items.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
IMHO, the people wanting duped items to go POOF need to really examine their motivations and reasoning -- Do you want good people punished or recognition for yourself having legal items? No matter the appearance on the surface, look inward and discover why it is you desire the removal of these duped items..
Mesanna already stated that duped items would not ever be deleted because many players may not even know they have any duped items.

LOTR

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Singapore
I am guessing the next move will be not allowing dupe items to be placed on trade windows. hehe

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
I just checked everything I own worth anything and of all my rares and everything, the only thing that could not be put on a vendor was my Slither. Go Figure!

LOTR

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Dec 11, 2010
Singapore
the only thing that could not be put on a vendor was my Slither
Is it blessed? if it is not, you may want to bless it and try again. I think I have to try on all my Phoenix Suits.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
It is blessed. I paid 175 mil for it from someone who I thought was a reputable vendor. With all my rares and luck garbs, tangles and cc's it isn't bad to end up only having one single item duped in all of it though. I honestly think only 1 Slither has ever dropped from Medusa and it has been duped into infinity! J/K

TheGrimReefer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 3, 2008
I think its going to jack up prices on most items so you cant trade them through vendors anyways because the prices will be over 175M. If they are going to do this they should increase the amount you can put an item on vendor for. IE 500M.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
I think its going to jack up prices on most items so you cant trade them through vendors anyways because the prices will be over 175M. If they are going to do this they should increase the amount you can put an item on vendor for. IE 500M.
I won't buy anything that cannot be put on a vendor to prove it isn't duped. Seems like a simple quick fix. Though I guess people could pull a bait and switch.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
Apparently I own one of the original 4 LT sashes, the original Godsman +2 boots, one of the original 9 Gauntlets of Anger (actually from the estate these came from they may be original), one of the original 4 Good Samaritan, one of the original 12 Necromancer Shrouds, one of the origianl 3 Captain John's Hat etc. etc. Yea it doesn't work.
So you are saying you know what you have are duped items? *gasp*

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
This should be a seperate pub. Id really like the armor changes to go thru, and give the devs the at least few more months needed for the bugs to be at least mostly work out. Or at least get it to the point where it is "working" for all intensive purposes.

Corpin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
Mesanna already stated that duped items would not ever be deleted because many players may not even know they have any duped items.
I agree with this whole hardheartedly, I was just trying to give insight to those that thought they should be deleted.

Corpin

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Sep 14, 2011
It is blessed. I paid 175 mil for it from someone who I thought was a reputable vendor. With all my rares and luck garbs, tangles and cc's it isn't bad to end up only having one single item duped in all of it though. I honestly think only 1 Slither has ever dropped from Medusa and it has been duped into infinity! J/K
Its simply not working, your slither is legit. If your slither isn't legit and my 20 stealth cloak and LT sash is legit, something is verrrry effed up on the duper's priority list

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 9, 2009
Yew Gate on LS, Atl, Chessy, & GL likely in a

Soo, is the slither actually "blessed" or "Owned by <your character>", If it was owned by your character, did you ever xfer that character to another shard, and have a GM fix it for you?

Also, does it give you a message saying the item is duped when you try to place it on a vendor?

Because I put my non-replica gladiator's collar , LT sash & Ari shrouds on a vendor on TC, and there were no problems...
pretty sure there was only 1 Gladiator's collar? I just got a 2nd non-rep collar I'll have to copy over and check it...
I even tried with a paladin sword, it was able to be placed on the vendor as well.

I find it hard to believe that these items aren't duped, so I have doubts about this vendor change even working as intended.

EDIT : I character copied all my Slithers (18 total) one was equip on my character. apparently only talismans that are equip during the character copy read as "duped" and my other 17 slithers were vendor-able... also, I apparently have 2 non-duped/non-replica Gladiator collars, & a +20 stealth cloak as well.

it's definitely not working as intended,

Gladiator Collar (1) *
That should be a pretty obvious, if there was only 1 (even if there were 10), you're telling me I ended up with one of very few real ones? I think not, I didn't even have a non-replica glad collar more than 8 months ago.

Last edited:

darkfact

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 7, 2012
pacific!!!
how do we even know XFERing the items to TEST center is even a legitamate call for saying the items are duped or not duped...it is called TEST center for a reason no?

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
It seems to me a bit of a half finished job to me. If they were really serious about duping then why not disallow duped items to be placed in the trade window also.

It's like they are saying to the guys that dupe "Hey its cool, you just can't use vendors now".

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Dupes should be marked .... AND after identified, not beeing tradeable anymore..
You can use them yourself and prolly beeing able to drop and destroy them..
You can still use them but there should be no more possibility to regulary trade or sell them in game permanent

xCatax

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Dupes should be marked .... AND after identified, not beeing tradeable anymore..
You can use them yourself and prolly beeing able to drop and destroy them..
You can still use them but there should be no more possibility to regulary trade or sell them in game permanent
Make a poll , my vote yes
also mark the people thats selling large amount of rares these days because prolly they checked it dupes in tc1

DJAd

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Aug 17, 2007
Does this mean there will be a "duped rares" market now?

Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard
Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard [Replica]
Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard [Duped]

So would you rather pay more for a duped real sash, or have a replica?

Last edited:

xCatax

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Aug 18, 2012
Bad example , try this

Server birth rare ( put name here )
Server birth rare ( put name here ) [Duped]

Last edited:

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sep 9, 2009
Yew Gate on LS, Atl, Chessy, &amp; GL likely in a
Does this mean there will be a "duped rares" market now?

Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard
Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard [Replica]
Lieutenant of The Britannian Royal Guard [Duped]

So would you rather pay more for a duped real sash, or have a replica?
well that would certainly make it easier on the players, and if they could do that (adding the "duped" tag) they could add a date as well, to see if items are still currently being duped. fixed.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
Duped items should mark themselves once you try to trade them or put them on a vendor. After that point, any item that is marked duped would auto destruct if placed on the ground or in a Pack animal. Furthermore, if the owner again attempts to pace the known due in a trade window, or on a vendor, it goes poof. This would make it so the owner of a duped item would not lose the item, but nobody would be able to sell a known duped item. Also a buyer would know that an item is duped If a player would not pace it on a vendor. For those ultra expensive rare items, a broker can place a vendor in his house and verify if its duped or not before the sale takes place.

Also, as a huge gold sink in the future after the gold bound to paper doll is implemented. A large fee can be attached to remove the dupe tag from duped items making them legal to sell or trade again. This is assuming items can be dated once marked dupes, and thus no new duplicates can be converted to tradable after that point.

Just my ramble thoughts on a Sunday morn. Please excuse any typos, I'm on my iPad.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
I agree, but not to the idea of diupe tag removal for golg, sorry :)
Just thinking outside of the box on ways to remove the literally trillions of duped gold on our shard. I in no way want to reward the dupers, nor any person who cheats in a game. However there are many players who thought they were purchasing legitimate items, not knowing the were illegally duplicated. They should not be punished permanently for another's illegal activity.

Ron Silverbeard

Certifiable
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Nov 4, 2011
Yes i understand but you prolly give exactly the possible gazillons gold heavy dupers the possibility to remove a dupe tag to make an item look original..thats the problem..would be like giving out turn in points for dupe taged items...unfortunatly..but i like your idea anyway..its one possibility more..

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
That's where the date tag comes into play. There should also e a logging feature that keeps a record of what's been tagged a dupe on an account. This would show the team who is converting hundreds of a single item to dupe tagged items to be converted at a later date. Then this person can be dealt with in some way, a punishment that is not a banning, but a removal of items and Gold.

Items that would be able to be converted are ones that were tested by individuals on their accounts during a certain date range, a grace period. Say for the month after the publish, that way we can all go into our accounts and double check items that we purchased prior to the patch.

Reactions: CovenantX

Exploit_SX

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2007
Apparently I own one of the original 4 LT sashes, the original Godsman +2 boots, one of the original 9 Gauntlets of Anger (actually from the estate these came from they may be original), one of the original 4 Good Samaritan, one of the original 12 Necromancer Shrouds, one of the origianl 3 Captain John's Hat etc. etc. Yea it doesn't work.
It doesn't work because once an item is transfered to another shard it gets a new item id thus the duped item becomes real.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 17, 2009
Atlantic
that makes sense exploit and explains whey it isnt working how people thought. still good for "new" dupes tho, but hardly what people were hoping for / expecting.

Edit - actually i guess it wouldnt work because all you would have to do is transfer. Disallow transfer of duped items somehow? i hope they actaully try to figure something out, rather than rushing to get trash published.

Last edited:

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
It doesn't work because once an item is transferred to another shard it gets a new item id thus the duped item becomes real.
If that were the case that would mean ANYTHING in a character copy to TC1 would get new tags. Character copy uses the transfer system.

Exploit_SX

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2007
If that were the case that would mean ANYTHING in a character copy to TC1 would get new tags. Character copy uses the transfer system.
You know how when you copy a character to TC1 and you have to reset your uoa macro's for arming your weapons and your dress macro? it's because the item's all get a new ID# once they're transfered.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2009
Denver CO
Honestly, who cares? I am sure everyone who commented will not pass on a chance to buy an item that they really want even if it is a known dupe. We all have done it. I am sure some of the items I have are dupped, onthe serverbirth side and a few of the older ales I own are most likely dupped to. You think I am going to toss them in the trash because I feel bad about having it? Nope! Will any of you toss out items you own because they are dupped? Nope! Hell, a majority of people would not have half of there collection if that happened, and most of the really nice serverbirths would no longer exist. At this point, none of this matters. UO is broke in so many ways. Most everyone has an unlimited supply of gold and can buy anything they want. I personnaly have lost interest and motivation in this game. Maybe there might be a huge sale of liquor soon! hell, I havent even logged into game for almost a week, we will see.

Reactions: Exploit_SX

Exploit_SX

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Mar 18, 2007
Honestly, who cares? I am sure everyone who commented will not pass on a chance to buy an item that they really want even if it is a known dupe. We all have done it. I am sure some of the items I have are dupped, onthe serverbirth side and a few of the older ales I own are most likely dupped to. You think I am going to toss them in the trash because I feel bad about having it? Nope! Will any of you toss out items you own because they are dupped? Nope! Hell, a majority of people would not have half of there collection if that happened, and most of the really nice serverbirths would no longer exist. At this point, none of this matters. UO is broke in so many ways. Most everyone has an unlimited supply of gold and can buy anything they want. I personnaly have lost interest and motivation in this game. Maybe there might be a huge sale of liquor soon! hell, I havent even logged into game for almost a week, we will see.
I agree, if an item comes up for sale that I wan't to buy that so happens to be duped i'll just transfer it, and boom it becomes a real item.

Tangled Metal

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 4, 2009
You know how when you copy a character to TC1 and you have to reset your uoa macro's for arming your weapons and your dress macro? it's because the item's all get a new ID# once they're transfered.
Yes, but people are reporting they have items that are duped after copying to TC1. My slither, which was copied over to TC1 could not be put on a vendor. So, there seems to be at least some items that do not change ids when they are transferred.

Lord Lew

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Jul 7, 2008
Honestly, who cares? I am sure everyone who commented will not pass on a chance to buy an item that they really want even if it is a known dupe. We all have done it.
Please refrain from generalizations and lumping. I am offended by your usage of we. I have never and will never consciously buy or own a dupe. I have a high moral character in life, and life translates into this game. I will be checking each item that I have not pulled myself and will trash anything that will not go on my vendor regardless of the value or function.

I'm not saying anyone else has to do it, I'm saying that your rationalization that everyone does it so why not me is wrong.

Angel Dust

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Nov 16, 2009
Denver CO
Please refrain from generalizations and lumping. I am offended by your usage of we.
Really? You are a very funny person. I gotta say, being politically correct and trying not to hurt someones feelings is not my strong point. I can care less if you like my choice of words and are now all butthurt over it.