[Magery] Need help polishing off character

• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!
G

Gumbyizer

I am running my mage at

120 magery
120 EI
120 Med
120 Spell weaving

I am stuck on what to do with my last 3 skills.

I have 100 inscription on a soulstone, and I was reading that protection does not allow spells to be disrupted. Is the spells effect time based, ends when hit once, or does it last until cast again to take off? Tell me if my thinking is off here, but with protection on, there is no reason to have wrestling.

I usually play this guy away from the action, so spell evasion or blocking if possible would be the way to go. I saw that tactics or parry or wrestling combos help block spells, but can not remember where I read it.

Should I just go 120 Resist, 120 Wrestling, 100 inscription or replace one with tactics or parry?

Any advice?

aarons6

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 14, 2007
Pacific
protection has a penalty, it 0s out your fc and also lowers your resists spells.
i think it also lowers your phy resist as well..

if this guy is pvm, then wrestling may not be needed but it is helpful.
you can always use a mage wep for the dci but then you cant hold a spell book.

the last 3 skills can be anything really.
taming, lore, vet
music, disco, provo
swords, tacts, anat
hiding, stealth, ninja

depends on what you want to build and the purpose of the char.

if you want to 120 everything tho, you will need +skill jewelry to get 7 skills.

G

Gumbyizer

This character is PvM. I also ment, which two skills between inscription, wrestling, and resist, should I pick. sorry for the confusion.

A

Arch Magus

Definitely go with Wrestling and Resist if you intend to keep Spellweaving.

10SDI from Scribe won't net you near as much survivability as a defensive skill and Resist would. And you can carry a spellbook with great mods, and a DCI shield or the museum 1/2 Chaos shield without losing defense. Pick up the extra SDI from items.

Run without protection. It's too slow and you need to learn to cast on your toes. With this setup, you can be right up in the meat of the fight with your team, and even lure tougher guys if need be.
:scholar:

Farsight

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
May 12, 2008
Cats/Europa
I agree with AM. Go with wrestle and resist. That's my template for my weaver/mage, and it's nearly unstoppable in PvM. Between my slayer book collection and my high SDI on the suit, I rarely don't get to be one of the top damagers too.

If you have the right suit, I suppose you could use a one handed mage weapon with no fast cast penalty and keep inscription, but it isn't really that handy. Between tree form, arcane empowerment and all the other benifits you'll gain from your suit, you'll never miss an extra 10% damage from mage spells.

G

GFY

If you wan to go with all 120's you only have 2 slots left for skills not 3.
120 X 6 = 720
And I agree go with wrestling and resist.

Diomedes Artega

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oct 9, 2008
I'm not gonna beat a dead horse to death :yell: since...I agree with the others :p, but I strongly advise against using protection...all the time. It does have it's uses as others might attest, but also a quick note that if you have say 120 Magic Resistance, with protection on it will fall 35%. So basically you will have a character with 85 resist. Not a big deal perhaps to most people, but I like my resists. Wrestling is a nice DEFENSIVE skill for a mage to have. I highly recommend it.

B

Boogieman

And you can carry a spellbook with great mods, and a DCI shield or the museum 1/2 Chaos shield without losing defense. Pick up the extra SDI from items.
Or one of the new spell books the generals drop - DCI 10%, SDI 30%, FCR 2, LMC 5%
if you're lucky to get a maxxed out one.