• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

Need for a stronger Rare community

Tomas_Bryce

Rares Collector Extraordinaire | Rares Fest Host
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have given a fair amount of thought to the things I am going to say in this post, the goal of which is to motivate the need for a stronger rare community and also to propose measures to achieve this. The seeds of this were planted at the first rare festival - which I thought was missing the community feeling. This led to me thinking about how can that be changed. Seeking a solution for the recent events also provided a solution for the original query.

Why do we need a rare community?

People who collect rares have a lot of time and effort invested in it. We also represent a niche in the overall Ultima community. So, we are a minority. Much more than that, we are a silent minority. As such our needs and interests are rarely taken into account in the bigger scheme of things.

Going further than a silent minority, we are also a silent minority under constant attack. This is due to two main reasons: 1) Rare collectors tend to be well-off than your average Sosarian, 2) The duping fall-out.

The former we can do little about directly and most people who attack us because of it do it out of pettiness. However, the latter is a more serious issue. I get literally dozens of icq's and PMs from non-collectors expressing their feelings about what happens on this forum. The emotions range from disappointment to utter disgust. Why should we care, some of you might ask? We should care because we are a silent minority that is perceived as wealthy and corrupt. If we do not care then that day is not unfathomable when all of us will have to pay a heavy price.

So what am I saying exactly?

I am saying that it is time to form a rare community. None of us support many of the things we get accused of daily. However, we are victims of stereotypes and silence. Even more than that, it would infuse some much needed old-school UO feeling to collecting. In order to do this, we need to agree on some basic guidelines and create a medium to express a unified opinion so that everyone else knows where we stand on key issues.

How do we do this?

I propose that we make an official rare community consisting of museum owners, rare festival participants, and members of this forum. Ignoring some eventual fine print, the community would be open for anyone interested in rares.

What would be the point of such a community?

By having an official rare collectors community, we would be able to quickly, and with more authority, express our views on all types of issues. I propose that the community would elect an executive committee (E.C.) of 5 to 6 people with a fixed term - maybe elections every two rare festivals. The first E.C. would be responsible for proposing a charter for the community members to vote on.

Doesn't this sound bit of a cheesy attempt at role playing?

Yes, maybe it does. However, I am convinced that we need this to serve our interests. There needs to be a way for us to act as one voice when needed. Don't worry, you can still sneak in and outbid another community member on an item you wish to purchase (die Suzzy) and the usual collector drama :p

Looking forward to your inputs! In order for me to easily figure out everyone's thoughts on it, I ask that you respond in the following manner:

1) Would you be interested in joining such a community?

2) Whatever else you might have to say.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I have given a fair amount of thought to the things I am going to say in this post, the goal of which is to motivate the need for a stronger rare community and also to propose measures to achieve this. The seeds of this were planted at the first rare festival - which I thought was missing the community feeling. This led to me thinking about how can that be changed. Seeking a solution for the recent events also provided a solution for the original query.

Why do we need a rare community?

People who collect rares have a lot of time and effort invested in it. We also represent a niche in the overall Ultima community. So, we are a minority. Much more than that, we are a silent minority. As such our needs and interests are rarely taken into account in the bigger scheme of things.

Going further than a silent minority, we are also a silent minority under constant attack. This is due to two main reasons: 1) Rare collectors tend to be well-off than your average Sosarian, 2) The duping fall-out.

The former we can do little about directly and most people who attack us because of it do it out of pettiness. However, the latter is a more serious issue. I get literally dozens of icq's and PMs from non-collectors expressing their feelings about what happens on this forum. The emotions range from disappointment to utter disgust. Why should we care, some of you might ask? We should care because we are a silent minority that is perceived as wealthy and corrupt. If we do not care then that day is not unfathomable when all of us will have to pay a heavy price.

So what am I saying exactly?

I am saying that it is time to form a rare community. None of us support many of the things we get accused of daily. However, we are victims of stereotypes and silence. Even more than that, it would infuse some much needed old-school UO feeling to collecting. In order to do this, we need to agree on some basic guidelines and create a medium to express a unified opinion so that everyone else knows where we stand on key issues.

How do we do this?

I propose that we make an official rare community consisting of museum owners, rare festival participants, and members of this forum. Ignoring some eventual fine print, the community would be open for anyone interested in rares.

What would be the point of such a community?

By having an official rare collectors community, we would be able to quickly, and with more authority, express our views on all types of issues. I propose that the community would elect an executive committee (E.C.) of 5 to 6 people with a fixed term - maybe elections every two rare festivals. The first E.C. would be responsible for proposing a charter for the community members to vote on.

Doesn't this sound bit of a cheesy attempt at role playing?

Yes, maybe it does. However, I am convinced that we need this to serve our interests. There needs to be a way for us to act as one voice when needed. Don't worry, you can still sneak in and outbid another community member on an item you wish to purchase (die Suzzy) and the usual collector drama :p

Looking forward to your inputs! In order for me to easily figure out everyone's thoughts on it, I ask that you respond in the following manner:

M

mdacc#one

Tomas,

If this becomes a reality, I think you have taken us to a Whole Nother Level. Thank you. As a former Rares mod, this will be your legacy if it is successful.

M

mdacc#one

Tomas,

If this becomes a reality, I think you have taken us to a Whole Nother Level. Thank you. As a former Rares mod, this will be your legacy if it is successful.

I

imported_Suzzy

Yes, but you already knew that before you even started this idea, muhahaha.

I

imported_Suzzy

Yes, but you already knew that before you even started this idea, muhahaha.

I

imported_blesh

1) Would you be interested in joining such a community? I would. I enjoy reading and learning about rares, and find myself visiting this forum pretty much daily. While I only own a few rares, its a goal of mine to expand my collection.

2) Whatever else you might have to say. While I think the structure of this is slightly overkill, I do think this is a very needed concept to keep this community thriving. Over time I have watched these boards and seen much malice over whats duped, whats not duped, who's selling this and turning around and selling it later at a higher price, ect. ect. The arguments arent needed IMO, and I think a community of people all on the same page would be fantastic. After all, this game is meant to be fun, and thus, collecting rares should be fun as well.

All in all, kudos to you Tomas, for stepping up to the plate and activly doing something to strengthen this community.

I

imported_blesh

1) Would you be interested in joining such a community? I would. I enjoy reading and learning about rares, and find myself visiting this forum pretty much daily. While I only own a few rares, its a goal of mine to expand my collection.

2) Whatever else you might have to say. While I think the structure of this is slightly overkill, I do think this is a very needed concept to keep this community thriving. Over time I have watched these boards and seen much malice over whats duped, whats not duped, who's selling this and turning around and selling it later at a higher price, ect. ect. The arguments arent needed IMO, and I think a community of people all on the same page would be fantastic. After all, this game is meant to be fun, and thus, collecting rares should be fun as well.

All in all, kudos to you Tomas, for stepping up to the plate and activly doing something to strengthen this community.

G

count me in, sounds like a good idea, maybe "our" voice will be heard a lil more!

G

count me in, sounds like a good idea, maybe "our" voice will be heard a lil more!

G

Theres nothing wrong with role playing
Sounds like a great idea, i myself read these forums all the time, have always been interested in rares, and recently have just started to collect with what little gold i have :p

G

Theres nothing wrong with role playing
Sounds like a great idea, i myself read these forums all the time, have always been interested in rares, and recently have just started to collect with what little gold i have :p

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Can you join even if you're broke and have absolutely no rares whatsoever??? *grins* actually I might have a few but I wouldn't know...but nothing MAJOR...some pumice I finally acquired...an old school blood tile....ghost ship anchor though not really RARE it's rare enough...but I am ALWAYS reading this forum, ALWAYS keeping up with the goings on here and I hope someday in my UO life I hope to own at least ONE super cool rare item *grins*

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Can you join even if you're broke and have absolutely no rares whatsoever??? *grins* actually I might have a few but I wouldn't know...but nothing MAJOR...some pumice I finally acquired...an old school blood tile....ghost ship anchor though not really RARE it's rare enough...but I am ALWAYS reading this forum, ALWAYS keeping up with the goings on here and I hope someday in my UO life I hope to own at least ONE super cool rare item *grins*

Treyster18

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you just took DVI's cause to a whole nother level like Manti said. This is one of the best ideas i think ive ever heard on this forum lol. thats a Definite Yes with my name beside it.

Rares Festival is comming up in may, would be an awesome time to kick this whole thing off

Treyster18

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I think you just took DVI's cause to a whole nother level like Manti said. This is one of the best ideas i think ive ever heard on this forum lol. thats a Definite Yes with my name beside it.

Rares Festival is comming up in may, would be an awesome time to kick this whole thing off

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the plan.

Tomas_Bryce

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

That is the plan.

G

woot! cant wait for another rares fest!

what shard will it be on?

G

woot! cant wait for another rares fest!

what shard will it be on?

I

imported_feath

yes
I don't have a lot of rares - I'm still a 'young' player, compared to the rest of you lot! The most expensive 'rare' I have is a ruined painting - but that doesn't mean I don't have dreams
... and I very much consider myself a part of the rare's community....which brings us to...

Where? We have a community now - on these boards. But it is not a community that is seen by the players in game. Where would this community be? On which server? If indeed, you have a house on a server... where would the community be? How visible? In what way, visible?

If it's just a 'clique', it's only going to fuel more problems with the players. How will the rares community enrich players? Get them hooked, as it were? If, indeed, that's the goal.

I

imported_feath

yes
I don't have a lot of rares - I'm still a 'young' player, compared to the rest of you lot! The most expensive 'rare' I have is a ruined painting - but that doesn't mean I don't have dreams
... and I very much consider myself a part of the rare's community....which brings us to...

Where? We have a community now - on these boards. But it is not a community that is seen by the players in game. Where would this community be? On which server? If indeed, you have a house on a server... where would the community be? How visible? In what way, visible?

If it's just a 'clique', it's only going to fuel more problems with the players. How will the rares community enrich players? Get them hooked, as it were? If, indeed, that's the goal.

K

Kratos Aurion

Yes. It brings a sense of unity and standards to a new community that enables everyone to communicate at the same level.

I am a small time rare collector by todays standard of "collector." But becoming apart of a united community enables me to take part in a whole scheme of collecting and knowledge to be shared with everyone, even those who arent apart of it.

K

Kratos Aurion

Yes. It brings a sense of unity and standards to a new community that enables everyone to communicate at the same level.

I am a small time rare collector by todays standard of "collector." But becoming apart of a united community enables me to take part in a whole scheme of collecting and knowledge to be shared with everyone, even those who arent apart of it.

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be highly interested in such an initiative too, even though I don't own a large rares collection as of yet.

But it's growing, and yes, I think getting in an organized group would help improve this aspect of the game, and make the traders/collectors point of view better understood from the rest of the community. At a time when traveling around shards is vital to accomplish anything trading wise, it would benefit everyone to have connections through a concrete community, although this forums already helps quite a lot as it is and with what it represents now.

simonovsk

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I would be highly interested in such an initiative too, even though I don't own a large rares collection as of yet.

But it's growing, and yes, I think getting in an organized group would help improve this aspect of the game, and make the traders/collectors point of view better understood from the rest of the community. At a time when traveling around shards is vital to accomplish anything trading wise, it would benefit everyone to have connections through a concrete community, although this forums already helps quite a lot as it is and with what it represents now.

G

Good evening,

if you have room for a smith maniac then Im interested in sitting in the same boat as you.I may add that Im lousy in selling but fairly adicted of buying stuff.

Regards
The Scandinavian