• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My offer to the UO Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
I can't believe I am responding to this post... But here It goes. I am responding to this as Giggles. Not as statics staff. I am relatively low on that totem pole, and have no part in the proposed purchase of stratics.

JC I thank you for everything you have done for the community. Your guides are extremely valuable, as well as the many other contributions you make. I do not support you owning stratics for multiple reasons. Some personal, some broader.
First I will try to explain myself.

-I don't feel any one person should own this site or forum. I think it is a recipe for disaster in a community as diverse and opinionated as ours. All it will take is one bad moment of your anger for someone to permanently remove them from everything Stratics, and nothing anyone can say will change that. You may be right, you may be wrong, either way that kind of power should not belong to one person alone. In a board setting your anger for that person would be reviewed by multiple people, and a unified choice will be made without "the heat of the moment" interfering with judgement.

-I have a lot of respect for staff of old, but you bringing some back holds a personal concern for me. Why? Well 9 years ago... a much younger me got into a tuffle with an old moderator. We had a personal issue with each other within the game. He took the fight to Stratics.. I gladly responded... and next thing you know his power was being abused... and my anger was untamed which lead to my inevitable banning. It also landed me on a "do not hire ever because shes a bad person" list. I have loved our community and Stratics for a very long time.. I have always wanted to volunteer and help out.. but because one or maybe a couple of people saw a weak moment of mine, I was forever denied that opportunity. What changed that? The site having a new owner, and Flutter wanting me to help her with social media. Ron knew my history and decided to give me a chance to prove myself. This "bad girl" now has the power to plaster penis pictures all over everything Stratics... But guess what? Thats not me or who I am, and sadly some of the older staff refused to see that. That is another big problem with a one owner or one person being in charge type of site.

-Some people are concerned with the abilities the senior staff has. but I ask that people also consider the fact that they have been operating under one owner who calls the shots. They have not had a chance to show what they can do unified yet.

-Last it is silly for any one of us... being the players.. to fight against each other. All of our eggs really do need to be in one basket or we might ALL lose.

That is all

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Well... Ron Bron end the auction early? That's nuts. Was there any doubt he was a businessman here to make a profit? The guy is trying to make a buck, nothing wrong with that. Most auctions don't even start till the last 10 minutes.

I guess I'm leaning towards the "new moderators and crew" getting the site. While they hammer down every now and then, as I know as well as anyone ;) There's not much in the line of banning going on. They try to direct people down the path in a much gentler way than we saw here in the past. Most will discuss what they see as problems with one's posting styles. So I tend to support the current crew having experience with the new crew they seem like reasonable people. While I disagree often with moderation, I'm still here :) I really don't have much of a track record with JC. I have no idea how he would behave. Although bringing back unpopular moderators who divided the community in the past doesn't seem to be a great idea when things are running pretty smooth now. Pretty much anything goes as long as you don't call someone a llama. I haven't had any problems here posting negative/constructive (depending on how you feel about an issue lol) topics about UO. Right now Stratics is a UO site. That's better than adding 10 other games to the site like JC says he wants to do. It just waters down the time spent by people working strictly on the UO end of things right now.

Honestly I'm not overly concerned who gets it. If it all goes south and starts to bury it's self into the ground I just won't come around anymore. The official UO site is getting better, most EMs have their own facebook. No one site to rule them all exists anymore. Anyone coming in with a heavy hand isn't going to have a kingdom to rule. It's pretty much the same handful of people posting that keeps any interest going here anyway. You pull a couple of those people out of the mix and there really will only be a shell of a forum. I don't need to be a member of the forums to get the info I need about this or that. My main draw here was to get info from the devs. While that still happens some, it's not really a factor anymore. They don't stop in THAT much to make it worthwhile to check in here all the time for that. I mostly come here to kill time and chat some, I learn a few things but would probably be better off working in the yard or something anyway ;) So I guess with me it's the devil we have right now isn't that bad and the devil talked about in this thread I have no real knowledge of what would happen. I know the way the forums ran a few years ago wasn't good. So that's a luke warm support for the current crew I suppose. So there it is, Captain Lucky lukewarmly supports the current Stratics crew! You can put that on your bumper stickers ;)

Last edited:

Selistrana

Visitor
Stratics Veteran
I support 100% JC the Builder as new owner of Stratics. We need someone who has full control over this Site, the Forums and even over the Mods, just in case their egos becomes to big. Do you really think that the Mods we have right now here, can make Stratics better, can keep their egos out of this Forums and can be 100% neutral to all Forum Members? I don't think so, the last 2 years showed me how some of the Mods works here and i didn't liked it. What if one of you gets harrassed by an Mod, who will help you? One of the other Mods here? Normal you send a Mail to the Admin but wait, damn that Mail goes to the Mods. We need someone here who knows what to do, how to do it and who is willing to do the dirty Job, if it has to be done, even if it means that some egos has to leave.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I don't think it is appropriate to say anything about the relationship between UOGuide and the UO Team. I can say it was handled by other UOGuide staff members.
Which UOGuide staff members communicated with the Stratics staff members? Did you communicate with the Stratics staff personally?

I think the UO Team would be happy to see Stratics under a stable owner again. The current UO Stratics staff should have no problem continuing things on as they have been for 18 years.
Did the Stratics staff members actually communicate to you that they would be happy for you to take over, and would have no problem staying on if you did? If that is true, why are they trying so hard to have this campaign succeed?

I have been in contact with various Stratics staff since the moment I found out about this sale. Of course certain details need to be kept confidential, including about the bidding.
I believe you said you just found out about the auction two days ago. Don't you think two days is a rather short time to thoroughly explore your ideas together with the Stratics staff, especially if you hadn't connected personally and the communications were handled by other parties?

Just asking.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
I support 100% JC the Builder as new owner of Stratics. We need someone who has full control over this Site, the Forums and even over the Mods, just in case their egos becomes to big. Do you really think that the Mods we have right now here, can make Stratics better, can keep their egos out of this Forums and can be 100% neutral to all Forum Members? I don't think so, the last 2 years showed me how some of the Mods works here and i didn't liked it. What if one of you gets harrassed by an Mod, who will help you? One of the other Mods here? Normal you send a Mail to the Admin but wait, damn that Mail goes to the Mods. We need someone here who knows what to do, how to do it and who is willing to do the dirty Job, if it has to be done, even if it means that some egos has to leave.
That's true with *any* person that would mod here. Old, new, or fiuture. Rumors are mods are actually real human people warts and all. The ones we have now are pretty decent people. That's coming from someone who certainly isn't a cheerleader lol. I've rolled in the mud with the moderators here a few times and it's always turned out pretty well for all involved. They made their point and I got my say about it and got it out of my system. I guess the way i see it is if JC really was all that great he would have such a wonderful site that Stratics would have just shut down from lack of activity. But that hasn't happened has it? Instead of his site becoming a Stratics killer, after years and years he's thinking of buying Stratics. Less competition is seldom a good thing. If he were God's gift to websites he would have buried Stratics years ago with his site and not here talking about spending 10K to buy them. I would think if he spent 10K on his site he might really have something there.

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
I am disappointed with how @JC the Builder chose to handle this.

There are just as many flaws with a sole proprietorship as with an LLC. I find it preposterous that anyone thinks it is less likely for someone to out bid him as there is someone to outbid the staff.

If ending the auction were an option, don't you believe the staff would have approached that angle?

The biggest benefit with the proposed LLC, is that is not up to any one person to sell Stratics. Let alone this is likely to be the same staff moderating the boards if he were to take over. He himself has stated he has no interest in.

Which is clearly evident in his other forums, as he just decided today that he should begin to moderate his boards. Feel free to visit and see how well he has managed to run his other forums: UO Atlantic

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
In all fairness.. I do read the hot forums UO Atlantic when I feel like watching a good episode of Jerry Springer UO style.
Just saying...

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
I believe the staff members have amply demonstrated that they work well together and truly care about the future of Stratics and its community. I also believe they have the skills necessary to manage the site. I'm content to trust them to continue to steer this ship.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
That's true with *any* person that would mod here. Old, new, or fiuture. Rumors are mods are actually real human people warts and all. The ones we have now are pretty decent people. That's coming from someone who certainly isn't a cheerleader lol. I've rolled in the mud with the moderators here a few times and it's always turned out pretty well for all involved. They made their point and I got my say about it and got it out of my system. I guess the way i see it is if JC really was all that great he would have such a wonderful site that Stratics would have just shut down from lack of activity. But that hasn't happened has it? Instead of his site becoming a Stratics killer, after years and years he's thinking of buying Stratics. Less competition is seldom a good thing. If he were God's gift to websites he would have buried Stratics years ago with his site and not here talking about spending 10K to buy them. I would think if he spent 10K on his site he might really have something there.
I have never rolled in the mud with Capt. Lucky... Just saying.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
Capt, Lucky does have it right in the sense that Stratics forums is a community. Some are more outspoken than others. Many of us have folks we like to read. We have folks that piss us off. I have been here well over a decade and I would miss some of you.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
That's all well and good if they like you @old gypsy ... imagine if they didn't. Imagine if you'd known them for over 10 years and they had disrespected you on multiple occasions? Some of us have had the unfortunate experience of knowing certain people without the masks they put on here for the show. Did you know they recently banned a financial supporter (ie: he had monthly donations coming out of his bank directly going to stratics) over a MISUNDERSTANDING? Betcha didn't. It's all well and good when you're on the outside looking in. It's quite another picture from the other side of the fence. Since I am not naming any names or speaking of a specific person I fully expect this post to stay where it is. We'll see.
I'm honestly sorry you've had some negative experiences, Flutter. It is true that I have no knowledge of the things you describe. I don't know what else to say, other than what I've already shared in previous posts. And I do believe old wounds can often be healed. :grouphug:

Zuckuss

Order | Chaos
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Folks,

We are not going to get into any more details about user warnings. The only thing I will add is that the community does not get to see all of the information that leads up to a decision. There was no misunderstanding. The matter of discussion pertaining to individual user warnings is not something that we will be discussing publicly. Consider this a public warning on the topic.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
@old gypsy I am at a time in my life where "forgive and forget" is a huge part of healing. Problem is a wound doesn't heal when it's constantly picked at. Either way, I hope the best person for the job gets it. I have been here since the official forums at uo.com closed down, I'll probably be here until I am banned. But, for now, I need to step away. This just makes me so sad. It's like family fighting over politics on Facebook. Only so much you can take. Think I will just let everyone else fight it out. This fight is not for me.

*steps down off of crate and walks away*
Please take care of yourself. And please, don't stay away long. You are an important part of this community and its history... and people do care about you.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@JC the Builder and the Staff Proposal - Couple questions for both parties.

How will you handle the financial aspect of the website? What are your plans to bring in revenue to support it long term and provide for licenses, new additions, etc?

Will you be having a subscription service? If so, what content/features will only be available to subscriptions?

If the websites goes into the red on a regular basis despite the above plans, what will happen to the website? What do you have in place to ensure it stays operating? Are you able to absorb the costs of the monthly expenses if the website doesn't generate any revenue? If so, to what amount and for how long?

Will you as the owner(s) take any financial compensation for your work as either an owner or as part of the committee?

Will all staff be unpaid or will certain positions be paid?

Being a volunteer is often a thankless job with many hours and little appreciation... do you have plans on how to keep the volunteer positions filled? What incentives are there for volunteers aside from warm fuzzies?

Should UO be shut down... what will happen to the Stratics website/forums?

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I fully support @JC the Builder! I do not think a multi-leader ownership will work. As JC has said someone needs to be in charge and more importantly responsible. I think there are some maturity issues all the way up the current chain of command and once the reigns were off so to speak, power-trips would abound.

Assia Penryn

The Sleeping Dragon
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I make these sort of decisions from a place of logic. My desire is for this website to be stable and long term... I think the above questions are important for an informed decision. If anyone thinks of others, please speak up.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
LT,

Again, we are not going to discuss matters that pertain to individual accounts. I do not wish to have to repeat this again.

Thank you all for your understanding.

Your staff discusses it, but when I do, I get warned....How convenient.

old gypsy

Grand Poobah
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Campaign Patron
The staff did not start the conversation about issues regarding warnings given to individuals.

The staff has addressed other posters, even the angry ones, with a great deal of courtesy and self-control, yet they keep getting pummeled. If the staff physically stepped into a ring with some of the angry folks right now, I would seriously fear for their safety.

Someone threw a hornet's nest into the forums today. And it wasn't the staff.

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
I was a respected moderator for a decade. I did as I was asked. I did so respectfully. I was called to task on occasion. I accepted that and moved on.

WarderDragon

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I don't know enough about the OP to judge, but man, if you're ambitious enough to tackle this monster, go for it.

If anything, I've learned that the success or failure of UO no longer resides in just the Dev Team, but in the communities built up around the game. If they thrive, the community survives. If they die, UO goes with it.

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
After extensive discussions and comparing notes with the Stratics staff it has been concluded that the best course of action at this very moment is to direct you (the UO community) to pour your efforts into the ongoing fundraiser. This will be a vital part of ensuring Stratics remains online and the same as all we have always known it.

The person who ultimately becomes owner of the website may not even be decided until some time after the auction ends. But the most important thing right now is to raise as much money as possible so myself, the Stratics Staff, and our other UO community investors can prevent the site from being sold off to an unknown 3rd party. The importance of raising these funds can not be understated. Ensuring the survival of Stratics is larger than any one person at this point.

I request that this topic be locked and sticked for the time being so that all efforts may be focused on the fundraiser itself, which will be ramping up in intensity.

Status
Not open for further replies.