• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

My observations on the Town Hall Meeting...

• Thread starter imported_Varka
  • Start date
  • Watchers 0
I

imported_Varka

It was U.Hall made flesh. Between the Australian guy bragging about how he goes from shard to shard single-handedly devestating the champ spawners with his 64 mana regen/blah blah trammie blah PVP suit, and people complaining about needing more housing space, and people complaining that elven clothing won't fit humans, it was about all I could do to keep from shrieking and plugging up my ears with ripped pieces of napkin.

In a nutshell, it's Diablo II style graphics, with a World of Warcraft-inspired interface.

It's pretty. Nice lighting effects, particle effects, smoke/dust/etc. Water looks nice. Daytime/nightime now actually is a gradual process.

We will no longer have backpacks, only a generic item list of one sort or another, ala WoW's "bag" interface. I was much amused when, shortly after I complained about that change, he took off his sword and had to load the 2d client to find it in his backpack to put back on his paperdoll, because he couldn't find it in his inventory list.

Toolbars/hotkey bars along the bottom of the screen, ala WoW/Everquest/etc.

Conflicting reports on the life expectancy of the "legacy" clients: Initially he said "a very long time" then he said "Once UO:KR is used by the vast majority of subscribers we'll make a decision about retiring the old clients."

System requirements might be as low as PIII 1 gigahertz and 256 megs of ram, and a Geforce3-class video card.

UO:KR will only be a client upgrade, no new content; new playable race will be in the "Stygian Abyss" upgrade.

He demonstrated a really groovy "zoom" feature, that could zoom the normal gameplay screen out to where you could fit about a third of Zento(?) on a single screen. Could be useful for spawns if it makes it into the final cut.

New monsters look pretty good. Earth elementals look pretty impressive, but oddly the balron graphic was much less intimidating than a summoned daemon; looked more like a gargoyle than a balron.

You can sit down on your bed. Hooray?

They're getting rid of neon. He put on some orange chainmail and green leggings which I assume are neon in the current clients, and it was much more subdued than either of the current clients would display.

Enhanced in-game chat, which I assume is going to be some sort of buddy list or /tell system.

Targetting seemed to be much improved(?). Some spells and effects seemed to auto-target whoever you currently had selected. Potions/etc. don't stack, but you can drag them (and bandages and spells) to the hotkey bar and use them with a function key. I had hoped for a significantly improved macro interface, but this might mean the opposite.

I really have mixed feelings about the new client. Maybe having a "standard" sort of interface will be a benefit to players trying it out who are used to playing Everquest, or World of Warcraft, but I'd be a litle concerned that taking UO even further down the road of being a "WoW wanna-be" might simply push people over to other games.

G

Thanks Varka for being there and giving us the scoop. It seems there's interesting things on the horizon.

I have a question, how was the animation of people/monsters? Similar to what we have now, or more fluid?

T

Toodamndrunk

oh yipee...

Sounds like the begging of the end

I so was hoping to hear better news.

I

imported_Varka

WAY more fluid. Although there were significant graphical glitches, movement seemed perfectly smooth and fluid, although all the 90-degree instantaneous changes in direction were a little disconcerting, in a "Tron light-cycle race" sort of way.

M

majorwoo

Here was what I posted in the other thread, I think it fits much better here.

Oh, and Varka was the guy whose names was escaping me, sorry man!

**pasted**
I had to leave early

We did get a pic of me, shadow tamer, haha, kage and the guy who held our spot in line whose board name is escaping me right now (vargo? pulling a blank here, he played before my time on Siege)..

Anyway, they showed a giant picture of a dwarf, then crossed it out and said there will be no dwarves in uo. Briefly showed us the new client - lots of it is not developed yet. I was a little upset to learn they are taking away our back packs and giving us an inventory list - there was some negative feedback on that so they said they would see.

Some idiot asked for a LOOT ALL button, so they are considering adding it !! I think I got some nasty looks when I said they couldn't base that on the Trammy decision, but what I meant was the PvM group. They later admitted they need to work out some details on that - such as in a party, if I hit loot all the rest of you get nothing.

Graphics wise it is very wow looking if you ask me. I was glad to see the redrawing but the toolbars, and inventory lists had a different feel to it. Hard to really judge it though as this was (they admitted) a very very early beta that isn't ready yet.

They said they have no immediate plans to remove the existing client - that would be based on how fast we as the player base adopt KR - they expect we will all move as they are saying KR will be easier/faster to play.
It will still have a windowed mode - we wont be forced to full screen though you WILL need a 3d card as it is technically a 3d game - just with a 2d look (they are calling it 2.5d)

Anyway, not sure what I missed that I was there for before I left - the other guys should have more info when they get back.

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Thanks for the report !!

How will this no backpack thing affect thieves? i don't play WoW so i don't know how that works.

<blockquote><hr>

We will no longer have backpacks, only a generic item list of one sort or another, ala WoW's "bag" interface. I was much amused when, shortly after I complained about that change, he took off his sword and had to load the 2d client to find it in his backpack to put back on his paperdoll, because he couldn't find it in his inventory list.

[/ QUOTE ]

T

Toodamndrunk

Its UO not WOW, not evercrack, or Diablo.. But many gamers come back to UO, why is this? If its working don't change it fix the damn problems. The elves, the new little pictured boxes, etc etc.. FIX the existing problems enough already with pretty.

I

imported_Varka

In WoW you can't steal from other players, of course.

However, I suspect it'll just pop up a list of possible stealable targets from your mark's inventory list.

That change shouldn't be too terribly difficult to manage.

M

majorwoo

The way it looked was a list with a scrollbar. You just scroll up/down the list to see the rest of your items.

G

I really hate the idea of the inventory list replacing backpacks. Part of what is sort of endearing, (as well as maddening) about UO is your very real ability to lose stuff in your own pack, and also to hide stuff in your pack!

-Skylark

T

Timothy_SP

<blockquote><hr>

They're getting rid of neon. He put on some orange chainmail and green leggings which I assume are neon in the current clients, and it was much more subdued than either of the current clients would display.

[/ QUOTE ]

What will Shak do without Blaze Neon?!? Or Castor.... It's the end of the world as we know it!!!

*dodges pieces of the collapsing sky*

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"I really hate the idea of the inventory list replacing backpacks. Part of what is sort of endearing, (as well as maddening) about UO is your very real ability to lose stuff in your own pack, and also to hide stuff in your pack!"

Absolutely. I keep mine totally disorganized on purpose. Also, I just like to open it up and visually look at all my stuff.

Why, with everything that is broke, backpacks have to be messed with is beyond me. Throw in a switch in the options menu that will allow backpacks to be selectable.

Jack Nickelson

R

Rykus

I agree about the backpacks. It does sound like there are a lot of improvements, but this is not something I like. The backpacks in 3D is one of the major reasons I don't use that client. This will downright suck.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Did they make any comments on plans for improving the crafting system?

L

LizzyT

<blockquote><hr>

I agree about the backpacks. It does sound like there are a lot of improvements, but this is not something I like. The backpacks in 3D is one of the major reasons I don't use that client. This will downright suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

No more backpack art contests =(

Nurse Miss Maude

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
<blockquote><hr>

<blockquote><hr>

[/ QUOTE ]

No more backpack art contests =(

[/ QUOTE ]

EXACTLY!!! i'll miss making my backpack all pretty.

G

<blockquote><hr>

However, I suspect it'll just pop up a list of possible stealable targets from your mark's inventory list.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was really worried about thievery when I heard these bs changes. Having to scroll through a list of items will do ALOT of damage to thieves. You have to be quick a lot of the time to get the good stuff. You can't sit there scrolling for a half hour.

Not happy.

Spree

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What happens to piling death robes 10 deep to hide stuff from thieves if every thing is in neat little rows how do you make it harder to for thieves or people from looting corpse by having 100 junky items.

S

Sergul'zan_SP

Thieves are probably far distanced from their minds...they seem to have defined a thief as a Doom rare hunter now.

S

Sir Ha-ward

I heard you yelled out "dont listen to trammies for things like this!" Was there a riot afterwards and how many SWAT teams did it take to subdue them ?

L

LizzyT

<blockquote><hr>

Or, they said they wasnt killing the old clients just yet...

[/ QUOTE ]

So, people would just use the 2d client for art contests? Unlikely, hon.

D

Dawn/Kaisa

rtlfc,

Meh sounds so far so good to me. Though kinda mixed on the backpack right now. Anyway I donlt think we should get all doom and gloom just yet and starting screaming that we are going to quit cause of one thing lol. I;ts not set in stone..give them calm informative feed back on why you think itl;s a bad idea. But freaking out does nothing. Anyway from what I understand most of it was very obviously alpha stage stuff. I mean we;ve survived rthe expansion since AOS I think we could survive a backpack being different lol. No offense to anyone lol. And yes the hotbar thing does sound like wow but to be honest it does work really well this coming from someone that plays both wow and UO.

M

Masumatek

Worthless expansion/update/whatever. If this was the big hoowah! that is suppose to save UO and convince even one single person to come back it's a load of bs. They need to fix the [censored] problems not copy graphics and interfaces from other games. UO was never about all that or no one would be playing. It's suppose to be about quality of content.

I am however looking forward to after UO:KR. Apparently the PvP "fix" publish that was delayed after SE that was delayed after ML will be coming after KR. Would be nice to see a list of changes they are thinking about before they scrap them and delay it till NewCrappyExpansion2000.

G

*sigh*

I happen to LIKE my lil backpack !!

I do not want more junk to have to READ to play a game.

My backpack is not to be some novel to read its my stuff I want it in my *purse*
not on some list of junks on my person.

I did not ask for this change.

There are tons of broken things need fixin or updating...leave my MONGBATS and my BACKPACK alone !!

*or the option to reject the newbie scrolling novelist lists of our STUFFS so we can keep our backpacks*

Meh !!

Barania

Slightly Crazed
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"I was really worried about thievery when I heard these bs changes. Having to scroll through a list of items will do ALOT of damage to thieves. You have to be quick a lot of the time to get the good stuff. You can't sit there scrolling for a half hour.

Not happy."

I'm looking at it from the flip side. I, as mentioned above, keep my pack completely disorganized partly to minimize the theft factor which I can deal with if necessary. Example...I run, say, with 100 ash but its in 5 different stacks in my pack. Somebody runs by and steals a few - no biggie.

With this new client, is someone gonna be able to filch all 100 by simply scrolling to the right spot? I know it's early and speculation and stuff, but I hate where I think this is going.

Jack Nickelson

G

I think we could survive a backpack being different lol.

------------------------

meh I think NOT ! haha Ye younger ye have more time to READ a novel bout what is in our backpacks former...me I dont have forever getting older ya know, get tired of reading %%%%% and all that other stuff too toss in this and we no longer playing a game we reading War &amp; Peace sized information instead of playing a game ! bleh !! Some of us don't have for forever to READ ya know can rl dirtnap ... one can not waste valuable game time reading and reading, when ya get to be ancient ya know !!
The backpack is simple ye open it loooook in side no novel to read insta listing of ye stuffs or lack there of if ya got stolen from spiffy speedie no novel dull listing of it all, required backpack is a visual that works faster than the speediest of speed readers. *unless their pack is a mess*

And what about blind folks like Otto they gonna do them lists in uo braile .... ?

*carries her protesting sign* SAVE THE BACKPACK AS IS !

D

Dawn/Kaisa

Well I do kinda agreethat the new backpack kinda sucks I just think saying we are going to quit over one thing is kinda silly you know? I mean sorry I am more worried game balance then I am worried about my backpack lol. but really over all seems most people hate the idea..so they will likely/hopefully scrap it anyway. or allow us to chose. And you have a point about the scrolling and reading. But in our current backpacks things get lost really easily as well. They need to disvise a system where items donlt get lost so easily..but at the same time we keep more or less the old backpack look.

G

Who ??

Are ye talkin bout that person that has the dancing chickie in the avatar...thought that person was just showing off her day job ...and that it... was a girl showin her self off in her avatar.

Is it true Kage propositioned all of you?

Thus to answer ye question above, duno bout the others, but nay not me...um hell no ! *thank goodness* I don't even know that person.

M

Masumatek

Lol. This from a thread in uhall:

"UO Kingdom Reborn will be FREE, Stygian Abyss however will be like any other expansion and will be a purchasable upgrade (no amounts mentioned) in which the Gargoyle race will be introduced along with: new abilities, UO's Largest Dungeon, new monsters, new skills, new magic, new craftables, new pets, new quests, and new housing sets."

Rune hawk does 200 damage per hit! To counter the power of new beasts we've added a wide variety of magical vitamins that when eaten remove remove all curses, increase your health, and shield you from further attacks for 10 minutes!

Wilderness skill adds +500 damage each hit. Morph skill allows you to turn into a flying ninja turtle that warps around screen 50x faster than anything else! Spook ability allows you to stay hidden for 60 min with zero chance of being revealed! Spell of doom does 150 damage to each target within 50 paces!

Gargoyle racial ability is lazer gun vision! Quest of the noob allows you to spend 50 hours of boredom to satisfy your item thirst! New craftable weapon damage modifier allows you to cut an opponent in half with one stroke!

New housing customization allows you to create a carebear city-atlantis-lava pit-Egyptian pyramid-jungle paradise combo!

And of course we have added new lands for your exploring pleasure that greatly reduce the chance of encountering another player in game!

And as always new blessed items are added so you don't have to pay insurance money! These items will be available on all shards!!!

Go buy ****ty expansion10000 today! And remember...if you don't buy it, you can't use anything new and will be put at a significant competetion disadvantage!

M

Masumatek

Nope. Just a gamer pissed at all the people, both the devs and the players, that continue to ruin the only good mmorpg that ever existed.

S

Sir Ha-ward

quit complaining so much at every little thing that happens and people will pay more attention to what you say, UO isnt what it used to be , get over it. If you dont like current situations no one is forcing u to play K?

G

<blockquote><hr>

I'm looking at it from the flip side.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's another flip side, you probably wont even notice when items go missing from your bag. They wont be where you left them after all.

Right now I have my bag open, and if an item even a small ring disappears I will know someone standing next to me took it, even if there was no message.

I don't know how this new list thing works but seems like it will be easy to not notice your being pinched.

Guess thats one upside heh. I can stand next to people and clean them out of jewelry and if I get lucky not go grey or get noticed at all...

D

Dor of Sonoma

*smiles*

I already gave my calm, informative feedback when I first viewed the new client a couple of years ago (under an NDA at that time).

I am not freaking out.

I am too tired for that. :)

S

Sloan

I think no matter what changes come to uo there will be people who will always yell "it's the end"

One of the very unique concepts about uo that I really like is that it is so easily self customizable. As long as it doesn't become a cookie cutter templates, I'll always be around. It's a play how you want to play game.

The perception of the noob not knowing anything is far too criticized. A person always willing to be open to learning new and different things is what a noob is. So chalk me up as a noob and bring on the new client.

I

imported_Castor

was there any comments made on the interface...ie will we still need uoa?

Draxous

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
gay

if they change the backpack that would be pretty fooking lame.

I hate even the 3rd dawn engine because it fux with my backpacks and chests... oh look a flat brown square with things laying on top of it...

this game needs to remain like your actually playing in a virtual world and not PACMAN 2020

So stupid...

wow.

wait... thats what it is... WoW.... wow, what a shocker

Patty Pickaxe

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Here is a listing from Uohall....it answers your question, castor.

Report is a strong word so changed title to Notes.

- UOKR releases spring, UOSA releases summer
- UOKR is free
- UOKR is only a client/graphic upgrade... no new content
UOAssist will NOT work with UOKR
- Legacy clients retired when adoption of UOKR is "around 95%"
- Will have an updated New Player experience
- Beta will be "pretty open" and lots of people should get in
- Some shard-specific GM placed objects may not make the UOKR transfer
- You can zoom waaay out, but this may not make it into the game
- You can also zoom waaay in, but they are going to lock it before the graphics start to look too pixelated
- Character sheet will display ALL relevent character data (HCI, LRC, etc)
- Backpack is now a window, with items and names listed in rows
- You can still drag to and from backpack
- They may institute double-clicking items to loot them
- Mentioned a Loot All button and people immediately jumped on them...
- Classic interface is a maybe
- Hotbars are not movable right now, but may be
- Planning for 5 total hotbars, maybe more if needed
- No more random icons on the screen
- Potion in a hotbar will link to the next like potion when used
- Paperdoll has a seperate Clothes and Armor tab to make management easier. This does NOT affect the current system or the layering system.
- UI Skinning a possibility, but not at release of UOKR
- 512MB memory recommended, some success with 256MB
- 3D Effects will all have sliders to turn up or down
- Targeting is a whirly 3D effect
- New spells all looked reminiscent of their former selves... not a disco upgrade
- Earth Elementals are HUGE... they throw bolders now?
- They are referencing the original design docs of critters as they upgrade
- They hope to stick with a Teen rating with new graphics

- UO Stygian Abyss is going to be a full content expansion
- Gargoyles will be the new race
- Gargoyle females will be explained
- Gargoyles will do "cool stuff" in the game
- Hints that crafters will appreciate this expansion

- If anything, the Dev team walked away knowing that people want anything that could possibly be stackable, stackable

- Some PvP redirect...
EDIT:
- Legacy client and UOKR client seem like they will be protected by the same anti-cheat method on release. Darkscribe wouldn't talk much about it, but impressed that the legacy client wouldn't continue to be a scripter/duper's haven.

M

majorwoo

<blockquote><hr>

I heard you yelled out "dont listen to trammies for things like this!" Was there a riot afterwards and how many SWAT teams did it take to subdue them ?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, it was in reference to the loot all button when I said that. What I meant was no loot all in pvp, but I was annoyed with all the people clapping for a loot all. They agreed to look into filters instead of a loot all, or maybe in tandem

G

!!

Shadow Tamer went and didn't ask me to go along? I woulda gone just to seen how much they are going to [censored] this game over. Damnit!

S

SavannahSP

I like this:
"Character sheet will display ALL relevent character data (HCI, LRC, etc)"

That's my only comment. =/

G

*RTLFC*

Looks like they are taking UO in a more modern direction. I think its a good thing, personally. The new backpacks, hotbar, &amp; suit information panel are most likely influenced from new games like WoW. I think (from the blurry pics I saw) that it looks good and will make the interface much better.

And hallelujah to the end of neon!

Morgana Grim

Lore Master
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Very glad about the end of neon as well, backpacks not happy about. The rest not sure, i've never used uoassist or automap so i may have an easier time adapting to all these tool bar thingys.

D

Dawn/Kaisa

Yeah I am definately happy about the no neon! And so far but for the backpack things look good. I do hope they keep the old backpack or allow for a toggle. Or something..I really donlt like the idea of a scroll down list which is what it looks like now.