• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

mmorpg with in game economy Like UO

Zane_Xander

Journeyman
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmorpg with in game economy Like UO, these all seem to be having the same problems as we do with UO. Weather is it Fixing bugs or dealing with Stagflation/ingame money vs RL Money. This seem to be a huge Issue. Im currently looking at some of the current mmorpg, Like EVE and some others to see how other mmorpg are handling the ingame economy.

Omnicron

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
im glad your taking the ball and running with it...To bad all your research will be for naught. Cause the Dev team wont do anytning different.

Omnius

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is silly, everyone knows how to fix the economy. faster item decay, removal of insurance, multiply housing costs ten fold and stop letting npcs buy items.

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
This is silly, everyone knows how to fix the economy. faster item decay, removal of insurance, multiply housing costs ten fold and stop letting npcs buy items.
LOL

"Hi, I'm [insert player here, because you are NOT the only one to do this], these are things I want to see done, and I'm going to pretend they are to fix the economy."

-Galen's player

GalenKnighthawke

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
mmorpg with in game economy Like UO, these all seem to be having the same problems as we do with UO. Weather is it Fixing bugs or dealing with Stagflation/ingame money vs RL Money. This seem to be a huge Issue. Im currently looking at some of the current mmorpg, Like EVE and some others to see how other mmorpg are handling the ingame economy.
Please don't waste your time, unless you are writing a doctoral dissertation on the economies of MMORPGs. Or are just super-curious. Which I can certainly understand.

The solutions you find may or may not be applicable to UO. If applicable, they may or may not be implemented. If implemented, they may or may not achieve the same effects. If they do, those effects may or may not be desirable.

The important thing to remember about the in-game economy is that this is a game.

The in-game economy isn't supposed to function as an economy, it's supposed to be an aspect of a gaming environment. That may mean being a perfectly functioning economy (which btw, does not exist even IRL let alone in a game), or it may mean an economy that is completely dysfunctional by IRL standards (and lots of RL economies are this).

So if you do an intense study of other games and their economies for some reason, remember all this. And I would urge that your "angle" not be how they fulfill the requirements of an RL economy, but how they add to, or detract from, the game.

-Galen's player

EnigmaMaitreya

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
In another post I suggested anyone that wanted to could probably Google this.

A few years back, Forbes published an article on Everquest and its Real Life Economics.

The short version, Subscriptions would probably be about $70M US per year (at the time) and the after market was, at the time $375M US per year. That after market was defined as E-Bay sales, Gold Sales, Item Sales etc. It was expected that by this time, the After Market sales could be as high as $10B US per year for all MMORPG's combined.

With that kind of Real Life Currency being moved around, any hope of a Games internal economy being viable is ... well pointless, unless the very members themselves collectively agree and abide with a conviction to NOT use external resources.

As a tid bit, the average hourly pay rate for the scripters/worker bees was $0.50 US per hour. yes 50 Cents US per hour.

N

Nestorius

The UO economy is basically medieval. People are self-sufficent and produce what they need by themselves or they barter for it. This is why rampant gold inflation has very little ill effects.