• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Mesanna - EM Accountability Regarding Events

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
10% of the population? The last event on Atlantic had 145 folks at it. I doubt the population of atlantic is 1450. Highly doubtful. But, thankfully it is a moot point because Mesanna is very happy and very pleased with the EM program and she's the decision maker... so the rest is just fodder and noise..
No that's the same bunch of cross sharders with 3 or 4 accounts running each...

OREOGL

Crazed Zealot
Professional
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
Campaign Patron
Well, at least you guys started a new trend. Complain about gift art and make countless threads about how awful it is and the devs will pull it and let the EM;s make them super rare items.

Let's start the campaign for this christmas early so that the em's will have some extra festive drops this year and the people who don't like the art don't have to have the dishonor of having it touch their backpack with their awfulness residue! :drama:

Yes, we pushed for bad art so we could ridicule enough to make it rare...

Yep, that's it.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
And like the EM program now serves who? The rares community and the 10% of the population who can be there at that time and lasts 1 maybe 2 hours ..... where regular global events are on longer and allow more of the community to participate.
It serves all those crowds of unternmenschen that you constantly complain about getting in the way. It serves everyone whose house/item/whatever sells because some random slob went on a shopping spree after hitting the jackpot and selling a rehued bit of crap for a hundred mil. It's ridiculous that you can ask this while pretending that roleplayers and/or people who care about "shard history" exist in large enough numbers to matter.

Comparing the EM program to global events is a red herring. Those guys get paid basically nothing and only do it because they want to. Even if you fired them all, you wouldn't save enough money to pay salary and benefits for one full-time developer. And even if you did, how much faster would content really be produced?

I know you desperately want the EM program to cater to you and the five other roleplayers who still exist, while handing you weekly widgets to throw in a chest next to all your random holiday garbage, but quit pretending it actually makes sense from a dev perspective.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
A summary of the conspiracy theory so far

A person who wants to see what was added to the game is goes into the art files and posts the art here on Stratics.

Then the thread argues about it and say it sucks. Made everybody jump on the band wagon saying the same thing.

Then the art was changed and was only for the EM event. Now the community is in an uproar about it because only a few recieved the item.

So now it was accused this was the true plan of the original of the poster to make it rare and it convinced the devs. As there is no physical proof of such said accusation just a hunch and pointing fingers. You know the high school drama stuff.

It continues into multiclienting cross sharders are the only winners and the EM system just terrible in a nut shell

I think that covers it.

My comment to all of that is if the devs are that easily swayed by a thread to screw the majority of the community, then they should be banned from ever working in the gaming industry. I don't even believe that was the case.

If UO is all about just rares and who has the most crap then I would be ashamed of playing this game.

Promathia

Social Distancing Since '97
Premium
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Then the art was changed and was only for the EM event.
Just to correct this, the Art wasn't changed really, just hued.

GL gave out a hued version renamed to "Easter Bunnies Resting Beside A Great Lake "
Yamato gave out a unhued version named "Happy Easter From Yamato 2016"
Origin gave out a unhued version named "Spring Fever 2016"

Alexander of ATL.

Rares Fest Host | Atl June 2013
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
basiacally thats what i see at events 75%-95% players just waiting for the boss to spawn ....as thats were the money is pure...they let the locals wrk the spawn and sit....... sad really
Your whole post is highly innacurate and is flawed through the roof. For someone, who as admitted mind you, that has only attended events very few and far between from one another, you sure know how to work them numbers.

I cannot possibly inform you enough of how your statement is so untrue, but I shall try.

Over the course of events, you do have people who sit idly by and do nothing. Those very people are the same ones who complain on stratics, but that is an argument for another time. Think of it logistically. On a mediocre day, there are two or three events planned for one night - usually back to back from one another. So why would they sit still and wait for a boss? The truth is, they don't. They participate in the fighting to pick up the pace in order to conclude the event. They do not cause problems for the EM's or disturb the event because that will only prolong the event in itself.

So tell me. Someone, as yourself, you hardly ever attends events anyways. How can you be so sure of your numbers or the incorrect fallacies that you insist are true?

What we have here, as with most of you people, who'd rather complain about the same ol' thing, is that you honestly have no idea what you are complaining about.

I've said it before and I will say it again, it is this attitude followed with misconstruing facts and concluding with expelling other play styles... is is this very ilk that is causing the gaming community to dwindle.

Reality check:

1. We have four (4) developers working on this game. A little insight into the coding world since I know a little about it.... it takes time. So quit your Bi**ing and actually do something productive. I know... perhaps take up actually playing the game before you complain about it?
  2. As Promathia pointed out earlier, what is it exactly that you guys are angry about with the event schedule on the website? The shards with a constant EM have done well at posting the events. Once again... learn before opening your mouth.
  3. Complain about game mechanics and how Event bosses should be this type of way or the game should run this type away. Sorry to bust your bubble, but unless you work in the game industry, and you know what to do, then you have no idea of what you are complaining about. That's why I hardly complain anymore because I don't know what it takes to do such things.
  4. It's not cross sharders that interupt events. It's the home shard players. I've been playing on all of the shards for about 5 years. I get to know the avatar characteristics of home shard and cross sharders. Everytime there is a grievance at events, it is mostly the hame sharders. But once again... people who do not attend events sure knows what goes on there.
  5. Again, you all complain about what the Dev team does for the game, and look what happened. The easter thing was left to the EM's which made it a rare item instead of giving it everyone as a gift. Way to go crybabies, you not only disrespected the dev team with your childish squabbles but you also made it to where ordinary players couldn't celebrate Easter... which from the drama you guys start - goes against everything you believe in. Instead of being children, you should learn to appreciate what the dev team can do for you as a player base. There are only four of them so remember that.

Yes, I have an attitude because it is $hit like this that is turning people away. You all cannot think logistically enough to understand the position the dev team is in. Instead, the bickering sources from self-centered, spoiled, its-my-way-or-no-way, attitudes that most of you share.

Instead of complaining so much, take a step back and understand the situations other people are in. Ultima Online has four developers. FOUR! Things take time. Find something better to do with your time instead of causing useless drama and endless bickering. Hey... I know some of you may not have been out of your houses recently. But guess what? It's spring time!! Go outside and get some vitamin D, visit family, play golf, do something in the yard, just do something productive for once.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I know you desperately want the EM program to cater to you and the five other roleplayers who still exist, while handing you weekly widgets to throw in a chest next to all your random holiday garbage, but quit pretending it actually makes sense from a dev perspective.
You're my hero. I love this post so much.

*bows down and kisses feet*

This post is gold and it describes the self-centered individuals who want the whole game of Ultima Online to cater to their play style.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
You're my hero. I love this post so much.

*bows down and kisses feet*

This post is gold and it describes the self-centered individuals who want the whole game of Ultima Online to cater to their play style.
So you're saying that we should all be happy that the same 10 people always get a drop to sell for cash... and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week (if we are on a shard that has them that regularly) most can't attend and where only the elite few get a reward?!?! And we should then if we want more content spend all our time and energy making 4 or 5 characters on every shard and multi-box too so we can all have a chance at making big buck IRL... and those without shard shields to transfer things back and forth and all around should do what???

And instead of putting in things that help the economy to remove the glut of gold that exists we should be grateful that if we get super lucky we might get the 1 in 50 chance of getting a drop at an event so we can get rich in an instant... and be able to afford the grossly overpriced stuff on Atl but since we don't play there well I'm guessing once again those without shard shields should then do what again???

And then I guess I should learn to play 6 characters at once so I can solo everything in game too. Because this seems to me to be the direction of UO of late...

Last edited:

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
So you're saying that we should all be happy that the same 10 people always get a drop to sell for cash... and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week (if we are on a shard that has them that regularly) most can't attend and where only the elite few get a reward?!?! And we should then if we want more content spend all our time and energy making 4 or 5 characters on every shard and multi-box too so we can all have a chance at making big buck IRL... and those without shard shields to transfer things back and forth and all around should do what???

And instead of putting in things that help the economy to remove the glut of gold that exists we should be grateful that if we get super lucky we might get the 1 in 50 chance of getting a drop at an event so we can get rich in an instant... and be able to afford the grossly overpriced stuff on Atl but since we don't play there well I'm guessing once again those without shard shields should then do what again???

And then I guess I should learn to play 6 characters at once so I can solo everything in game too. Because this seems to me to be the direction of UO of late...
Once again, you don't know what you are complaining about. It's getting to the point it is laughable.

"So you're saying that we should all be happy that the same 10 people always get a drop to sell for cash..."

• The system, since it was changed nearly two years ago, the same 10 people are not getting the drops. In fact, it is completely random and then plus more. The item distribution is dependent if you can get looting rights. @MalagAste , can you get looting rights? You see, you don't attend events or if you did, you'd know this. I see new players get looting rights for heavens sake. Do people sell the gold for cash. Sure do! But the notion that the same people get the drops every time is so laughable.

"and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week (if we are on a shard that has them that regularly) most can't attend and where only the elite few get a reward?!?!"

• Why not? It's a system that is seen in all MMORPG's. If you don't like it, then don't complain to take it away. Instead, complain to improve the conditions that you play under. Advocate for more in game global events. Advocate for more content in the game. BUT YOU complaining to take a play style away from others.... is so.... childish... especially since it it's a play style that every MMORPG has. Once again... you are being self centered and not thinking of what is best for the game. Just because it doesn't cater to you doesn't mean it's automatically evil.

"And we should then if we want more content spend all our time and energy making 4 or 5 characters on every shard and multi-box too so we can all have a chance at making big buck IRL... and those without shard shields to transfer things back and forth and all around should do what???"

• Once again, you prove my point that you don't know what you're talking about. I play almost every shard and I play with one account. Only one. I get a lot of drops. Do I use cheat programs? Nope. Not even UOAssist. I just click the mouse and target. The difference between you and I is quite simple. 1) I know how to play the game. 2) I go to events. You don't know how to do either one of those things and blame other people for it.

"And instead of putting in things that help the economy to remove the glut of gold that exists we should be grateful that if we get super lucky we might get the 1 in 50 chance of getting a drop at an event so we can get rich in an instant... and be able to afford the grossly overpriced stuff on Atl but since we don't play there well I'm guessing once again those without shard shields should then do what again???"

• Honestly, you and other people like yourself brought that on your own self when you decided to complain about Holiday items given out. Now it was given to EM's to distribute since the ilk decide to complain about everything that doesn't cater to them.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them."​

"And then I guess I should learn to play 6 characters at once so I can solo everything in game too. Because this seems to me to be the direction of UO of late..."

Nope. I run a tamer/mage/weaver and can hold my own on pretty much everything. I mean... if you're running a freshly made toon that isn't trained or if you don't know how to play the game... then yeah... you'll need about six of them to do any real damage. :D

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Once again, you don't know what you are complaining about. It's getting to the point it is laughable.

"So you're saying that we should all be happy that the same 10 people always get a drop to sell for cash..."

• The system, since it was changed nearly two years ago, the same 10 people are not getting the drops. In fact, it is completely random and then plus more. The item distribution is dependent if you can get looting rights. @MalagAste , can you get looting rights? You see, you don't attend events or if you did, you'd know this. I see new players get looting rights for heavens sake. Do people sell the gold for cash. Sure do! But the notion that the same people get the drops every time is so laughable.

"and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week (if we are on a shard that has them that regularly) most can't attend and where only the elite few get a reward?!?!"

• Why not? It's a system that is seen in all MMORPG's. If you don't like it, then don't complain to take it away. Instead, complain to improve the conditions that you play under. Advocate for more in game global events. Advocate for more content in the game. BUT YOU complaining to take a play style away from others.... is so.... childish... especially since it it's a play style that every MMORPG has. Once again... you are being self centered and not thinking of what is best for the game. Just because it doesn't cater to you doesn't mean it's automatically evil.

"And we should then if we want more content spend all our time and energy making 4 or 5 characters on every shard and multi-box too so we can all have a chance at making big buck IRL... and those without shard shields to transfer things back and forth and all around should do what???"

• Once again, you prove my point that you don't know what you're talking about. I play almost every shard and I play with one account. Only one. I get a lot of drops. Do I use cheat programs? Nope. Not even UOAssist. I just click the mouse and target. The difference between you and I is quite simple. 1) I know how to play the game. 2) I go to events. You don't know how to do either one of those things and blame other people for it.

"And instead of putting in things that help the economy to remove the glut of gold that exists we should be grateful that if we get super lucky we might get the 1 in 50 chance of getting a drop at an event so we can get rich in an instant... and be able to afford the grossly overpriced stuff on Atl but since we don't play there well I'm guessing once again those without shard shields should then do what again???"

• Honestly, you and other people like yourself brought that on your own self when you decided to complain about Holiday items given out. Now it was given to EM's to distribute since the ilk decide to complain about everything that doesn't cater to them.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them."​

"And then I guess I should learn to play 6 characters at once so I can solo everything in game too. Because this seems to me to be the direction of UO of late..."

Nope. I run a tamer/mage/weaver and can hold my own on pretty much everything. I mean... if you're running a freshly made toon that isn't trained or if you don't know how to play the game... then yeah... you'll need about six of them to do any real damage. :D
Sounds like you are being a bit hypocritical to me.... because you make a profit off the events and you have no problems and you don't do this and you do that.. then it's perfect... Meanwhile I see many people get extremely frustrated quit playing UO, get fed up with events and say forget this and then complain constantly because there is nothing to do... and how they miss events... but they can't do EM events because it's not available to them when they can play and or the lag is so bad they can't even attend... but that's ok if they can't go because it's great for YOU...

It's ok so the same 10 people don't always get a drop?!?!? That's funny because I see the same people all the time posting and selling drops from nearly every event for sale right here... over and over and over again... week after week after week.... but it's not always the same 10 people I call BS.

And just because you don't play that way doesn't mean 10 others don't... I don't play that way.... I have 13 accounts .... and VERY occasionally I'll take two of them somewhere but not to an EM Event unless it's RP only. I RP more than one at a time sometimes but not really that often. I prefer to play my 90+ characters on my home shard ONE at a time.

And just because I like RP and enjoy that playstyle doesn't mean I don't PvM or PvP... I prefer infact deco and design over anything else... but without RP I wouldn't play UO anymore... And it also doesn't mean that I don't know how to play the game... and FYI I do get drops.... pretty much every other time there is one on GL's and I'm able to attend it... But I know several players who go week after week who have NEVER gotten a drop unless it was a clicky... I know others who have never been able to attend events... but would love to.

But I wasn't complaining about the drops and events and lack of things for myself... I do it for the 20 to 50 people who I talk to in-game and through Trillian/ICQ... who are fed up frustrated and have quit or are considering quitting all the time because of what they see going on. And if people could post some of the stuff going on then more people would be very ticked off.

And for the record this thread was about accountability of the EMs ... and perceived corruption and trust me it is only the tip of that iceberg.

So why don't you jump off your own high horse there.

But as I see it we have held back the game to keep the old 2d client around and those who play it,... because they have bad rotten aged computers from the 90's still so that they can still play UO... but those who can't attend the EM events they can just go fly a kite and take that long walk off the short pier because all the rares collectors haven't gotten enough re-hued, renamed pixel crack in the last 4 years to suit them... so everyone else can just sit and spin for all you care because obviously they aren't worthy of getting anything like that...

They should also quit playing the shard they have played for the last 15+ years because they can't attend the event when it's offered so if they want to attend an event they should do it on shards they have never played on? And if they want to get an Easter or Valentines gift or a chance at one they need to play on every shard now because that's just great for you and all the others that do nothing but EM events..... but it's ok that you got the drop on their shard and sold it to some guy on Atl because he needed 12 more of those...

Meanwhile those on the shard you got that on didn't get a chance to get it... Because all the people that are out to make a living off of UO need to have that opportunity to do so...and that's better than just giving people a gift on a Holiday... But if they want it they'll be paying out the nose to the 10 people who bring 4 or 5 multiboxed characters..... but those folk don't exist... it's just a figment of everyones imagination...

but no none of that matters because you enjoy going to all the events.

All I'm saying is perhaps it's time they stop catering to that crowd and remember the rest of the people who play UO that AREN'T rares collectors. Who would like some fun stuff to do too without competing with a crowd of 30 or more shard hoppers... people you know who play on their "home" shard.

Last edited:

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So why would they sit still and wait for a boss? The truth is, they don't. They participate in the fighting to pick up the pace in order to conclude the event. They do not cause problems for the EM's or disturb the event because that will only prolong the event in itself.
sorry but i gotta call bs on this one alex. i have never seen you be able to kill, actually anything lol on your noob character (because it literally can not kill anything or do any damage) but you get drops and can experience the event, showing that events are for everyone no matter if they dont even have a real character. Of course people sit off to the side and wait. In any system people will do whats best for that system. if the drops were on all the mobs, we'd just see ww sampires and hailstorming mystics and the same usual suspects would complain when characters tailored specifically to excel in this type of drop scenerio would be getting many drops. Or the old style were it came down who was the best at looting public corpses. in those days the same few people looted multiple drops.

This whole thread is rediculous. the people who complain and disrupt are usually the shards own players believe it or not. the people who complain about this system, that favors multiple characters rather than 1 well geared, well played character are the same people that wanted this system. Its working as intended. We've seen people who could never be bothered to do what it took to get top damager now getting drops. That was the whole point of the random drop system. (and i think everyone knows i prefered the old system, but complaining about that change would be meaningless at this point.) game is what it is, and i embrace that.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I like the shard bound sentiment here, keep the EM items on their shard.
in theory thats a nice thing, but it would also mean not having a EM program on alot of servers. which is a decision the devs would have to make. on some shards there are literally 0 to 5 home shard players, its hard to justify having an event for that few people. If items were changed to shard bound, some shards would still be viable for events. chessy might have 10ish at the events. GL/baja/LS would have 20ish. Napa, Arirang, Balhae would have practically no one. Lake austin, Legends, Origin maybe 5 or so. Atlantic would still have 100 plus. It would just be a huge change. Another possibility would be to shard bound items, but then take the EMs off the deadest shards and move them to Atlantic.

Last edited:

TimberWolf

Babbling Loonie
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
It serves all those crowds of unternmenschen that you constantly complain about getting in the way. It serves everyone whose house/item/whatever sells because some random slob went on a shopping spree after hitting the jackpot and selling a rehued bit of crap for a hundred mil. It's ridiculous that you can ask this while pretending that roleplayers and/or people who care about "shard history" exist in large enough numbers to matter.

Comparing the EM program to global events is a red herring. Those guys get paid basically nothing and only do it because they want to. Even if you fired them all, you wouldn't save enough money to pay salary and benefits for one full-time developer. And even if you did, how much faster would content really be produced?

I agree with 95% of this post...except where Spock tried basic math. There are what 10+ EM's making approx 10$ an hour plus one free account( widely reported..no secrets here) 10x10 x4....no wait he is right! IT wont even pay their toilet paper bill when they get butt hurt about people hating on their bad art! :)
5 stars!

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I could not fathom being an EM and trying to satisfy so many, "opinionated" people, provide new and entertaining content, setting up decor, staying in character, designing bosses to last awhile, putting down healers etc etc.....and no matter what you do, people will be complaining, calling you every name in the book and being ungrateful.

I'm not a fanboy by any means, I call out things when I think they are wrong and I give credit where credit is do. I commend all of the EM's for having the patience and grace to continue at such a thankless job.

...man I need to get back to doing events!

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree with 95% of this post...except where Spock tried basic math. There are what 10+ EM's making approx 10$ an hour plus one free account( widely reported..no secrets here) 10x10 x4....no wait he is right! IT wont even pay their toilet paper bill when they get butt hurt about people hating on their bad art! :)
5 stars!
at this time theres atctually 21 EMs plus 2 PECs and 1 assistant EM. If the entire program were eliminated, yes perhaps another part time dev could be hired, but i highly doubt that one person would be able to provide the vast amount of unique content that we currently have with the EM program.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
"and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week (if we are on a shard that has them that regularly) most can't attend and where only the elite few get a reward?!?!"[/COLOR]

• Why not? It's a system that is seen in all MMORPG's. If you don't like it, then don't complain to take it away. Instead, complain to improve the conditions that you play under. Advocate for more in game global events. Advocate for more content in the game.
What do you think the chances are that the dev team will ever have time to create more in-game global events? Did you read Kyronix's post last week where he said, "As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. "

I've suggested multiple times over the last couple of years that the EMs be used to develop global events and have never seen Mesanna or Kyronix ever respond to that suggestion.

Because of my RL commitments, I have zero ability to log into UO when EM events are scheduled. It is very difficult for me to stay motivated to paying for UO at this point when I've pretty much exhausted my ability and tolerance level for the "make characters on every shard" option. I have no account that's even close to getting a shard shield so vendoring stuff is not an option. Tried running a shop for a while on Balhae with stuff I could craft/gather myself, but vendor fees and lack of customers who repeatedly needed that stuff made it rather pointless. At this time, I can only play a few hours per month, so I just can't justify paying for multiple accounts to have houses on different shards. It just doesn't make sense. VvV has no appeal for me. I've browsed around Eodon a couple of times, but can't solo champ spawns or Shadowguard myself and really don't have the time it would take to get decent turtle dragons on multiple shards. Tiger cubs...meh. Not interested. Dragon turtle armor...what's the point? I'm just a middle-range player who doesn't have a lot of time to play and lacks shard shields. Why bother with UO anymore if I'm sick of building characters on every shard that have absolutely zero use and that I will apparently never ever be able to use in a live event again because I can't make it to EM events? UO has become pointless for me and a waste of time and money if EM events are the only live event content we'll ever see again.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
What do you think the chances are that the dev team will ever have time to create more in-game global events? Did you read Kyronix's post last week where he said, "As we have mentioned several times across a variety of media, our goal is to focus on permanent content additions that foster continual play rather than one-off events that are limited in time. "
there really has to be some give with that. Some things NEED global events. take the introduction of the entire expansion. that should have been a global event. having it as an EM event was a failure on the part of the devs.

Personally i would prefer zero new permanant content, but a new global event every two months. it keeps things fresh. the problem is, permanant content never gets updated. 99 percent of players stop doing it after the first week. this has been an ongoing problem with UO, that content is made and then abandoned, never to see an update. VVV failed because of this. only a few stragglers are sill doing the new Eodon quest. The 2 to 5 people doing the High Seas boss arent even doing it anymore. Some bosses / content was never done. such as charybidis, that entire encounter was never updated and was abandoned almost immediately after it was patched in.

If the choice is short lived permanant content over short lived global events, global events seem the way to go.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id also like to note that as ive been making these posts, im building a character to take to Hokuto. Its going to be a blast. ive spent about 60m on well geared suit, scrolls, arties, jewels and 50m on a transfer token (because i like a well geared character, i really could have just bought an advanced character token and made a basic tamer and been perfectly fine)

I agree that it would be nice if EM events were at different times, it can be hard to make 1 specific hour on 1 shard, but if you look at all the shards everyone should be able to find at least 2 or 3 shards to participate in. Eastern time, European are usually in the afternoon. american anywhere from 7 to 10pm, asian anwhere from 6am to 9am. (the korean shards and drachenfels even translate, making it perfectly normal event experience for english speakers. The japanese i cant understand a thing but can usually get the gist of whats going on) theres lots of options. yes there may be some lag, but because of the random drop system you can usually get looting rights if you can just move at all (no matter how slow)

And while im a strict opponent of using third party multibox and script programs (wish mesanna would take a hard stance against this) im a huge fan of seeing pvpers and others doing these events just to sell the item. they make alot of gold, and then use that gold to pay big for the global loot drops. because lets be honest, rpers and most pvmers arent paying for the loot. You need someone to spend gold in UO to make looting those corpses worth it. and alot of that gold comes from EM events. Others enjoy collecting but dont do events at all. EM events give them something to collect, and move gold into the game when it would be just sitting, or those people might have left the game entirely. Before i even did events on any shard other than my home shard (atlantic and since 2008 chessy) i had large amounts of gold from playing normal, everyday content (as well as global events) and used that gold to buy some of my first event items (which at the time were very expensive. they are much much cheaper overall now)

I do events on 18 shards (19 once i get to hokuto) and its a very entertaining playstyle. i dont see the term "crosssharder" as a negative thing at all. I participate in the rp, get decent loot, hang out with friends, and get EM items to either deco my houses with, or sell to buy other things i enjoy more. Theres something in UO for everyone. We have alot of vets who have seen and done basically everything. EM events keep things fresh, they arent perfect, no system is, but is one of the reasons the game is still around.

So sorry for my extremely long rant, if you dont like events find something else in UO that you like. theres alot to choose from. pvp. pvm. some quests. collecting. merchant. crafter. fishing. boat stuff. talking in chat. house deco. If theres absolutely nothing left in UO that fun can be found in, its probably best to put the game aside. all good things do come to an end.

THE END

Last edited:

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Well after Reading three pages of rhetoric.... This is my opinion.

The EM system is flawed in so many ways it will never satisfy everyone. There are people that complain and there are people that say those complaints are illegitimate because they dont agree with their own beliefs.

Key words here are opinion and beliefs.

If any of you have FACTS of the inside workings of the EM system I will cry collusion. :)

Id also like to add a statement from Momma: If you dont bring enough for everyone, dont bring any at all.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id also like to add a statement from Momma: If you dont bring enough for everyone, dont bring any at all.

“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Events can be difficult and frustrating sometimes, but thats life.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
“Nothing in the world is worth having or worth doing unless it means effort, pain, difficulty… I have never in my life envied a human being who led an easy life. I have envied a great many people who led difficult lives and led them well.”

Theodore Roosevelt

Events can be difficult and frustrating, but thats life.
As much i think quoting a president to make a statement about a video game is a little short sighted... I do personally agree with the statement. Being a Theodore fan i believe the EM system could learn a lot from his "square deal"

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds like you are being a bit hypocritical to me.... because you make a profit off the events and you have no problems and you don't do this and you do that.. then it's perfect... Meanwhile I see many people get extremely frustrated quit playing UO, get fed up with events and say forget this and then complain constantly because there is nothing to do... and how they miss events... but they can't do EM events because it's not available to them when they can play and or the lag is so bad they can't even attend... but that's ok if they can't go because it's great for YOU...

It's ok so the same 10 people don't always get a drop?!?!? That's funny because I see the same people all the time posting and selling drops from nearly every event for sale right here... over and over and over again... week after week after week.... but it's not always the same 10 people I call BS.

And just because you don't play that way doesn't mean 10 others don't... I don't play that way.... I have 13 accounts .... and VERY occasionally I'll take two of them somewhere but not to an EM Event unless it's RP only. I RP more than one at a time sometimes but not really that often. I prefer to play my 90+ characters on my home shard ONE at a time.

And just because I like RP and enjoy that playstyle doesn't mean I don't PvM or PvP... I prefer infact deco and design over anything else... but without RP I wouldn't play UO anymore... And it also doesn't mean that I don't know how to play the game... and FYI I do get drops.... pretty much every other time there is one on GL's and I'm able to attend it... But I know several players who go week after week who have NEVER gotten a drop unless it was a clicky... I know others who have never been able to attend events... but would love to.

But I wasn't complaining about the drops and events and lack of things for myself... I do it for the 20 to 50 people who I talk to in-game and through Trillian/ICQ... who are fed up frustrated and have quit or are considering quitting all the time because of what they see going on. And if people could post some of the stuff going on then more people would be very ticked off.

And for the record this thread was about accountability of the EMs ... and perceived corruption and trust me it is only the tip of that iceberg.

So why don't you jump off your own high horse there.

But as I see it we have held back the game to keep the old 2d client around and those who play it,... because they have bad rotten aged computers from the 90's still so that they can still play UO... but those who can't attend the EM events they can just go fly a kite and take that long walk off the short pier because all the rares collectors haven't gotten enough re-hued, renamed pixel crack in the last 4 years to suit them... so everyone else can just sit and spin for all you care because obviously they aren't worthy of getting anything like that...

They should also quit playing the shard they have played for the last 15+ years because they can't attend the event when it's offered so if they want to attend an event they should do it on shards they have never played on? And if they want to get an Easter or Valentines gift or a chance at one they need to play on every shard now because that's just great for you and all the others that do nothing but EM events..... but it's ok that you got the drop on their shard and sold it to some guy on Atl because he needed 12 more of those...

Meanwhile those on the shard you got that on didn't get a chance to get it... Because all the people that are out to make a living off of UO need to have that opportunity to do so...and that's better than just giving people a gift on a Holiday... But if they want it they'll be paying out the nose to the 10 people who bring 4 or 5 multiboxed characters..... but those folk don't exist... it's just a figment of everyones imagination...

but no none of that matters because you enjoy going to all the events.

All I'm saying is perhaps it's time they stop catering to that crowd and remember the rest of the people who play UO that AREN'T rares collectors. Who would like some fun stuff to do too without competing with a crowd of 30 or more shard hoppers... people you know who play on their "home" shard.
"It's ok so the same 10 people don't always get a drop?!?!? That's funny because I see the same people all the time posting and selling drops from nearly every event for sale right here... over and over and over again... week after week after week.... but it's not always the same 10 people I call BS."

• Once again, you're forming an opinion without actually participating. That's kind of dumb. Yes, people post the items for sale when they get one. But if you actually went to the event, you see that regular players are getting items too. It's a randomized drop system and if you can't figure that out after it's been released to the public for nearly two years, then I don't know what to tell you. You are forming opinions about something you haven't even participated in. I hardly say this but that's stupid.

"And just because you don't play that way doesn't mean 10 others don't... I don't play that way.... I have 13 accounts .... and VERY occasionally I'll take two of them somewhere but not to an EM Event unless it's RP only. I RP more than one at a time sometimes but not really that often. I prefer to play my 90+ characters on my home shard ONE at a time."

• Thanks for proving my point that you don't participate in EM Events. For someone who doesn't go to them, you sure know a lot about them... or you think you do anyways. And not everyone who goes to them is there to sell the drop. They go to obtain the item to fit in their collection. If it doesn't fit, then they sell. It's a play style. The drop system is randomized to where everyone has a chance. You just have to actually attend the events for once @MalagAste

"And just because I like RP and enjoy that playstyle doesn't mean I don't PvM or PvP... I prefer infact deco and design over anything else..
. but without RP I wouldn't play UO anymore... And it also doesn't mean that I don't know how to play the game... and FYI I do get drops.... pretty much every other time there is one on GL's and I'm able to attend it... But I know several players who go week after week who have NEVER gotten a drop unless it was a clicky... I know others who have never been able to attend events... but would love to."

• You don't know the definition of hypocrite I see yet you are the first to call me one. Do you see me trying to abolish other peoples play style? I suck at PVP so do I make it my obligation to undermine the whole pvp system JUST BECAUSE I can't PVP? You once again proved my point with the text highlighted in Pink. Rares Collecting is a play style shared by many, of whom they'd quit the game if it wasn't available. Yet, in your view, that doesn't matter because it's not what you want. The DEV team isn't catering to you so therefore it should be eliminated. Very hypocritical sir.
  • You "know" players that haven't gotten a single drop unless it was a clickie? Well Mesanna hasn't let EM's use clickies for over 2 years now so I find that hard to believe. Or.... those people aren't actually doing the event. You see, you have to actually attack the boss in order to get looting rights and once you get those rights, then you have a pretty good chance at getting an item. There is also the point system to come into play which tells me that "those players" hardly do events anyway because the point system almost guarantee's a drop every month.

"And for the record this thread was about accountability of the EMs ... and perceived corruption and trust me it is only the tip of that iceberg."

• I know you and Timberwolf work that conspiracy mill like crazy. However, if you have information on corruption, email Mesanna about it... as was told to do LONG TIME AGO. The thing is... you won't... and here is probably why. 1) You don't have any proof of corruption and it's just conspiracy theories. 2) You like the drama so you won't email Mesanna to fix the issue. Once again outlining the examples I gave above of being childish. 3) You like to be relevant and create false allegations to fuel your self-esteem. I don't know which of those it is, but it has to be one of those. You all were told by Mesanna herself to email her with your proof and of specific EM's.... yet you don't... and here we are again.
"They should also quit playing the shard they have played for the last 15+ years because they can't attend the event when it's offered so if they want to attend an event they should do it on shards they have never played on? And if they want to get an Easter or Valentines gift or a chance at one they need to play on every shard now because that's just great for you and all the others that do nothing but EM events..... but it's ok that you got the drop on their shard and sold it to some guy on Atl because he needed 12 more of those..."

• Once again, you and people like yourself created the problem with the Easter drop distribution... so no sympathy here. I've noticed a pattern with you. Complain about anything and everything and don't hold yourself accountable. What do you want, @MalagAste ? I mean come on for pete's sake. Before you were complainging that the DEV team sucks and that the Easter thing sucked and that you don't want it. NOW YOU'RE COMPLAINING about how you didn't get the Easter painting, that it's now left up to the EM's, the DEV team sucks... I MEAN ARE YOU SERIOUS? Make up your mind and stick with it.... and also while you're doing that... grow up a little.

"Meanwhile those on the shard you got that on didn't get a chance to get it... Because all the people that are out to make a living off of UO need to have that opportunity to do so...and that's better than just giving people a gift on a Holiday... But if they want it they'll be paying out the nose to the 10 people who bring 4 or 5 multiboxed characters..... but those folk don't exist... it's just a figment of everyones imagination...

but no none of that matters because you enjoy going to all the events."

• For the first part of this, see my point above. Second part, yes multiboxers exist. So instead of doing what you're doing and trying to abolish the whole play style of events.... tackle the damn multiboxers. And on your last comment, yes it does matter. But you don't see me tryng to get rid of a play stlye you like because I don't understand it or particpate in it. You are a very self-centerd and hypocritcal person to even say that. Yes, the EM system has some flaws, like any system that has ever existed before it in RL and in game. So you try to fix those flaws instead of abolishing the system.

"All I'm saying is perhaps it's time they stop catering to that crowd and remember the rest of the people who play UO that AREN'T rares collectors. Who would like some fun stuff to do too without competing with a crowd of 30 or more shard hoppers... people you know who play on their "home" shard."

• Then make that your argument. Say you want normal stuff or new content produced for the game population. Instead, you're attacking the EM system. As said above, even if you fired all the EM's it still wouldn't solve your problem. All it would do is get rid of the events on that shard. Your issue is for the desk of a higher up employee. Advocate for more content. Email Mesanna and the DEV team. But targeting another system is just wasting yours and everyone elses time.

Robtsan

Adventurer
Stratics Veteran
@Mesanna

I have some questions/issues related to things I see happening at EM events that I think warrant discussion, and IMO, some direction from the top. I am not going to name any EM specifically, if Stratics users recognize the issue and an associated EM, please just focus on the issue. I will also say, some of these really aren't new.

1. UO.com event calendar: Why is it not mandatory that EM's put their events here and keep it up to date?
2. Event boss timing: Spawning the event boss while other event monsters are still being defeated causes issues. At best, it promotes folks just standing around not fighting anything... just waiting for the boss. At worst, it provides the appearance of the EM popping out the boss so their friends have the best chance at the drop. Some of the EMs are very good about waiting until everything else is dead and folks have had a moment to res and get back to their corpse before the final mob is brought out. IMO, this should be standard procedure. It is fair and avoids even the appearance of collusion.
3. Event boss location: I know that with all the gargoyles flapping, summons wandering about, and herds of greater dragons it can be hard to see the ground, much less find a good open space. That said, spawning an event boss the size of a bloodworm under the pile is kinda lame. Again here, some EMs have been really good about spawning the event boss in highly visible locations (up the side of a mountain, out in the water, or on the roof of a building).
4. Event healers: I am not sure why some EMs wait to put out healers until half way through the fighting. It would seem to me that they should know where they intend to start dropping mobs and have healers in place before anyone arrives. To go hand in hand with that, the healers should be in a place that players would have a reasonable chance at living more than 1 second before getting res killed. Having a small (or large) area with wall to wall monsters and no way out for a ghost leaves dead people in a lurch.

In my experience, some of the EM do an excellent job of their events, even related to the issues above... While some do not. When I, or others I have seen, raise the issue with the EM directly, we are often met with *shrugs* or a "not my problem" attitude. If they aren't interested in constructive feedback directly from the players when there is an issue, perhaps some direction from you would help.
I attended the em event on origin last night....the area was so ridiculously crowded I could not tell what was what...who was who... Could not even see the ground...I left...

Tyrath

Grand Poobah
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I just plain quit doing EM events a long time ago. They are a lottery and whether rigged or its just great luck the same folks always seem to have the drops for sale. They just are not fun for me with the lag and pretty much nil chance of getting a drop. So I do other things that are fun for me :) I do like the idea of account bound or shard bound though, If I wanted to play with a bunch of folks from Atl, I would go to Atlantic and not be on Legends.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I agree that it would be nice if EM events were at different times, it can be hard to make 1 specific hour on 1 shard, but if you look at all the shards everyone should be able to find at least 2 or 3 shards to participate in. Eastern time, European are usually in the afternoon. american anywhere from 7 to 10pm, asian anwhere from 6am to 9am. (the korean shards and drachenfels even translate, making it perfectly normal event experience for english speakers. The japanese i cant understand a thing but can usually get the gist of whats going on) theres lots of options. yes there may be some lag, but because of the random drop system you can usually get looting rights if you can just move at all (no matter how slow)
I don't live on the U.S. east coast, though. I'm in Colorado, so all the times you quoted are two hours earlier for me. The only events that even come close to happening at a time when I might be able to play for a solid one-two hours straight are the ones on Oceania, which start at anywhere between midnight to 2 a.m. Mountain Time, depending on the time of year you're looking at. There's no way I can play UO for an hour or two straight at 5:00 or 6:00 a.m., 12:30 pm in the afternoon, or 8:00 pm in the evening. It's never gonna happen in a household with three kids running around.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small

Korean events ! play UO and watch the sunrise ! (a few west-coasters i know do it)

ill admit ive set my alarm for 6am before to make some of these. times vary between 6am eastern and 9am eastern depending on shard and day light savings time.

Tina Small

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Tina Small

Korean events ! play UO and watch the sunrise ! (a few west-coasters i know do it)

ill admit ive set my alarm for 6am before to make some of these. times vary between 6am eastern and 9am eastern depending on shard and day light savings time.
I'll have to see when the next ones are. Not really crazy about having to be up before 5:00 a.m. on a Monday morning, if the ones on Arirang continue to happen on Sunday evenings, KST. Looks like the ones that were happening on Balhae were happening 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. MT on Sunday or Monday mornings. The Sunday morning ones might be workable, but the Monday morning ones would not work at all.

Thanks for pointing them out, however. I will keep an eye open for the Arirang and Balhae events and see if any of them work in the future.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
"It's ok so the same 10 people don't always get a drop?!?!? That's funny because I see the same people all the time posting and selling drops from nearly every event for sale right here... over and over and over again... week after week after week.... but it's not always the same 10 people I call BS."

• Once again, you're forming an opinion without actually participating. That's kind of dumb. Yes, people post the items for sale when they get one. But if you actually went to the event, you see that regular players are getting items too. It's a randomized drop system and if you can't figure that out after it's been released to the public for nearly two years, then I don't know what to tell you. You are forming opinions about something you haven't even participated in. I hardly say this but that's stupid.

"And just because you don't play that way doesn't mean 10 others don't... I don't play that way.... I have 13 accounts .... and VERY occasionally I'll take two of them somewhere but not to an EM Event unless it's RP only. I RP more than one at a time sometimes but not really that often. I prefer to play my 90+ characters on my home shard ONE at a time."

• Thanks for proving my point that you don't participate in EM Events. For someone who doesn't go to them, you sure know a lot about them... or you think you do anyways. And not everyone who goes to them is there to sell the drop. They go to obtain the item to fit in their collection. If it doesn't fit, then they sell. It's a play style. The drop system is randomized to where everyone has a chance. You just have to actually attend the events for once @MalagAste

"And just because I like RP and enjoy that playstyle doesn't mean I don't PvM or PvP... I prefer infact deco and design over anything else..
. but without RP I wouldn't play UO anymore... And it also doesn't mean that I don't know how to play the game... and FYI I do get drops.... pretty much every other time there is one on GL's and I'm able to attend it... But I know several players who go week after week who have NEVER gotten a drop unless it was a clicky... I know others who have never been able to attend events... but would love to."

• You don't know the definition of hypocrite I see yet you are the first to call me one. Do you see me trying to abolish other peoples play style? I suck at PVP so do I make it my obligation to undermine the whole pvp system JUST BECAUSE I can't PVP? You once again proved my point with the text highlighted in Pink. Rares Collecting is a play style shared by many, of whom they'd quit the game if it wasn't available. Yet, in your view, that doesn't matter because it's not what you want. The DEV team isn't catering to you so therefore it should be eliminated. Very hypocritical sir.
  • You "know" players that haven't gotten a single drop unless it was a clickie? Well Mesanna hasn't let EM's use clickies for over 2 years now so I find that hard to believe. Or.... those people aren't actually doing the event. You see, you have to actually attack the boss in order to get looting rights and once you get those rights, then you have a pretty good chance at getting an item. There is also the point system to come into play which tells me that "those players" hardly do events anyway because the point system almost guarantee's a drop every month.

"And for the record this thread was about accountability of the EMs ... and perceived corruption and trust me it is only the tip of that iceberg."

• I know you and Timberwolf work that conspiracy mill like crazy. However, if you have information on corruption, email Mesanna about it... as was told to do LONG TIME AGO. The thing is... you won't... and here is probably why. 1) You don't have any proof of corruption and it's just conspiracy theories. 2) You like the drama so you won't email Mesanna to fix the issue. Once again outlining the examples I gave above of being childish. 3) You like to be relevant and create false allegations to fuel your self-esteem. I don't know which of those it is, but it has to be one of those. You all were told by Mesanna herself to email her with your proof and of specific EM's.... yet you don't... and here we are again.
"They should also quit playing the shard they have played for the last 15+ years because they can't attend the event when it's offered so if they want to attend an event they should do it on shards they have never played on? And if they want to get an Easter or Valentines gift or a chance at one they need to play on every shard now because that's just great for you and all the others that do nothing but EM events..... but it's ok that you got the drop on their shard and sold it to some guy on Atl because he needed 12 more of those..."

• Once again, you and people like yourself created the problem with the Easter drop distribution... so no sympathy here. I've noticed a pattern with you. Complain about anything and everything and don't hold yourself accountable. What do you want, @MalagAste ? I mean come on for pete's sake. Before you were complainging that the DEV team sucks and that the Easter thing sucked and that you don't want it. NOW YOU'RE COMPLAINING about how you didn't get the Easter painting, that it's now left up to the EM's, the DEV team sucks... I MEAN ARE YOU SERIOUS? Make up your mind and stick with it.... and also while you're doing that... grow up a little.

"Meanwhile those on the shard you got that on didn't get a chance to get it... Because all the people that are out to make a living off of UO need to have that opportunity to do so...and that's better than just giving people a gift on a Holiday... But if they want it they'll be paying out the nose to the 10 people who bring 4 or 5 multiboxed characters..... but those folk don't exist... it's just a figment of everyones imagination...

but no none of that matters because you enjoy going to all the events."

• For the first part of this, see my point above. Second part, yes multiboxers exist. So instead of doing what you're doing and trying to abolish the whole play style of events.... tackle the damn multiboxers. And on your last comment, yes it does matter. But you don't see me tryng to get rid of a play stlye you like because I don't understand it or particpate in it. You are a very self-centerd and hypocritcal person to even say that. Yes, the EM system has some flaws, like any system that has ever existed before it in RL and in game. So you try to fix those flaws instead of abolishing the system.

"All I'm saying is perhaps it's time they stop catering to that crowd and remember the rest of the people who play UO that AREN'T rares collectors. Who would like some fun stuff to do too without competing with a crowd of 30 or more shard hoppers... people you know who play on their "home" shard."

• Then make that your argument. Say you want normal stuff or new content produced for the game population. Instead, you're attacking the EM system. As said above, even if you fired all the EM's it still wouldn't solve your problem. All it would do is get rid of the events on that shard. Your issue is for the desk of a higher up employee. Advocate for more content. Email Mesanna and the DEV team. But targeting another system is just wasting yours and everyone elses time.
And post after post after post backs me up that many people can't attend the events, many people can't participate in the Events..... so this is fair for them? Just because you and yours can this makes the case to keep doing them and putting in our gifts and crap to events that a large portion of the player base can't even go to?

All your whining will NOT change that fact. But whatever you go right ahead and defend it......

And as for me NOT attending events... I only attend them on my HOME SHARD of Great Lakes you'll see me at each and every one of them.... When they are on Tuesdays when I can go... Infact I nearly NEVER miss a Tuesday event... but I enjoy them though less and less all the time because it seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to do so because all the events are about anymore is generating some item for those that have turned the events in a career... to make MONEY.

And week after week while I'm at these events people are left out. Either because they can't go on Tuesdays or they can't keep up from the lag.

But once again you have turned what I said into talking about it being about ME when if you had read my post it isn't about me... It's about the tons of players who would like some content too where they can have a chance at something for the Holiday.

Do you know how many players play the game but don't PvM even? If we are to get Holiday items JUST at EM events now well that is a kinda screw you to those people. No they don't do clickies anymore... too bad for people who can't attend events... They shouldn't want anything right? They should pay for the game though to stay around so you can keep getting drops on every shard and making money..... because that's what UO is about now right?

IMO UO is no longer an MMO-RPG..... It's Money Making Organization for Real Punk Gamers.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
And post after post after post backs me up that many people can't attend the events, many people can't participate in the Events..... so this is fair for them? Just because you and yours can this makes the case to keep doing them and putting in our gifts and crap to events that a large portion of the player base can't even go to?

All your whining will NOT change that fact. But whatever you go right ahead and defend it......

And as for me NOT attending events... I only attend them on my HOME SHARD of Great Lakes you'll see me at each and every one of them.... When they are on Tuesdays when I can go... Infact I nearly NEVER miss a Tuesday event... but I enjoy them though less and less all the time because it seems to me that it's getting harder and harder to do so because all the events are about anymore is generating some item for those that have turned the events in a career... to make MONEY.

And week after week while I'm at these events people are left out. Either because they can't go on Tuesdays or they can't keep up from the lag.

But once again you have turned what I said into talking about it being about ME when if you had read my post it isn't about me... It's about the tons of players who would like some content too where they can have a chance at something for the Holiday.

Do you know how many players play the game but don't PvM even? If we are to get Holiday items JUST at EM events now well that is a kinda screw you to those people. No they don't do clickies anymore... too bad for people who can't attend events... They shouldn't want anything right? They should pay for the game though to stay around so you can keep getting drops on every shard and making money..... because that's what UO is about now right?

IMO UO is no longer an MMO-RPG..... It's Money Making Organization for Real Punk Gamers.
You obviously have a hard time reading anything. Although, I do have to give you credit for a good imagination.

Once again, you and people like yourself created the problem where the holiday items were distributed as EM drops. If you don't like it... well it's your own fault really. Learn to take some responsibility whenever you bash the company and it doesn't go your way.

You do know you can do other things in Ultima Online other than EM Events right? No one is forcing anyone to attend. In fact, even if you LOVE role playing you don't have to go to events. Take Catskills for an example. When they had an EM, the role players didn't go. They got their role playing satisfaction from one another. I'll use myself as an example. I participated in a player ran town for six years. Created our own events, role played our way, and didn't bother anyone else.

You don't have to attend EM Events. And although it doesn't cater to your play style, it is a universal system that works for everyone. You show up, participate, and you get a drop. You can't just stare at the boss either. You have to attack it. Get looting rights, you have a pretty good chance to get a drop. So pass that message along to the fifty invisible people you're representing.

Second, I'm not whining for starters. I have nothing to complain about because I, unlike yourself, appreciate what is given to us. You hold the DEV team to a higher marginalized company. There are only four of them. You have to be patient. Also, if you have ideas, email them to the Developers. Don't sit and complain because that gets annoying.

Also, if you lag, that isn't the EM's fault. I see people bashing the EM because the players lag. That is the lowest example of how you can place the blame on other people. There are reasons you may lag. One could be your gaming system. I had trouble with lag for a long time. It wasn't anyone's fault but my own. As with any computer game, if your device sucks, then you aren't going to be able to do anything inside the game. Is that the Developers fault? Of course not... alas people like you still complain and place the blame on other people.

Yes, I'm fully aware that you're representing other people. However, you're the only one challenging this aspect so yes, I'm placing it on you. That's what happens to representatives. To represent a group, you, not always, but most of the time, agree to some degree. So while I'm indirectly talking to those you represent, I am also directly talking to you.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
So you're saying that we should all be happy that the same 10 people always get a drop to sell for cash...
This may have been true in the past, but it's blatantly untrue now and has been for quite some time. Please stop repeating it. I don't come anywhere close to attending every event on my shard, or even a majority, and when I do attend it's with one character and a quirky not-quite-optimal template, and I've still gotten drops from time to time. The system in place now is heavily randomized.

and we should all be happy that instead of actually adding content EVERYONE can participate in we should settle for one event a week
In the past, even earlier in this thread, you've gone on about how you'd be happier if the EM program dropped fewer items and focused more on your personal interest in roleplaying. After being called out as essentially just demanding to be catered to personally, suddenly your issue is that they could produce global events slightly faster if they fired all the event staff and saved enough money to hire another developer. Later in this post you'll complain that the EM program isn't a gold sink, as if it's supposed to be.

It's transparently obvious that you dislike the EM program because it fails to cater to your personal quirks, and that you're just throwing any criticism at the wall you can think of. We should be happy that there are ongoing things for people to do each week, even if every person can't make it to every event. We should be happy that a way exists for people to actually have a shot at making real money in a way that doesn't actually add any new gold to the economy. We should be happy that they figured out a way to bring this about without having to task a developer.

Landicine

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As much i think quoting a president to make a statement about a video game is a little short sighted... I do personally agree with the statement. Being a Theodore fan i believe the EM system could learn a lot from his "square deal"
I'm curious what particular elements you think would apply to the EM System. Rereading Wikipedia to remind myself about the Square Deal:

"The Square Deal was President Theodore Roosevelt's domestic program formed upon three basic ideas: conservation of natural resources, control of corporations, and consumer protection."

My view on connections:

1. Conservation of "Game" Resources -

A. The EM program shouldn't create balance issues, nullify in-game elements, or use art or mechanics wastefully. I think this is mostly true. Since the EM rewards lack properties or mechanical effects, they don't break mechanical or social balance. Beyond this Easter, they mostly reuse old art or give out new art items on a large scale. They don't actually add much gold to the game; gold on monsters minus insurance cost is probably a slight negative.

B. The EM program shouldn't put on undue burden on limited game development resources. While they sometimes get new powers, I don't believe they are much more powerful than the old Seers.

C. The EM program shouldn't create a financial burden beyond the benefit it brings. Given some of the above statements, it seems that getting rid of an entire aspect of UO wouldn't even get us a single new dev, and a single new dev wouldn't increase the publish schedule much beyond the few we get now.

2. Control of "Wealth"-

A. The EM program creates an effect like Tulip mania where people spend crazy amounts on objects that have far less intrinsic value. However, inflation in UO has existed before the EM program and is the result of honest gold farming and dishonest gold duping or scripting. EM rares move this gold around which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on one's point of view.

B. The game systems that reward items currently favor certain tactics and templates. While the new system is better than the old system, I still think the drop system could be better. It seems to break when it needs to give out lots of items, like with the big black dragon from last year.

C. Broadsword is responsible for setting rules of conduct and terms of service that keep problematic behavior in check. On this, I think that multiboxing really pushes the limits of what should be allowed.

3. Consumer Protection -

A. The players/consumers need to be able to trust the EMs, so the EMs need to be trustworthy. EMs need to follow professional and ethical standards. Problematic EMs have been removed over the years, and Mesanna is always asking for information when new accusations arise.

B. Unfortunately, the assumption is that all EMs are untrustworthy. Most EM-themed threads have at least a few posts that dance close to libel. Random unproven accusations are detrimental, but not really something anyone can deal with. I personally find this distasteful, but it falls under the category of "All ball players use steroids. All car dealers dupe customers. All lawyers lie."

My conclusion is that Broadsword, the EM program, etc. have done a fair job on this. It does seem that other problems (a tiny dev team, lack of stuff to do solo, player greed, etc.) often get blamed on EM events which is not entirely fair.

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
As someone who has returned to playing the game recently, I have to say the EM Events have been repetitive. Every single event for the last 3 months has been go somewhere and kill something. That is about 12 events now. I also get the feeling there is a rule they can no longer do events in Felucca.

I remember way back there were good events. One time we stayed up all night to do a scavenger hunt. Another time we had to seek out monsters by following clues.

Current events seem to be suffering from trying too hard to fit into a mold. Every single event involves meeting at Lord Blackthorn's castle and the same 2 characters explaining a problem which involves us going to kill stuff.

Our EM has tried to break out of this recently with trying to break a code quest. But it was obscure and very hard. I wish they would try more things like this because events could offer more than a one hour sitcom.

Alexander of ATL.

Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
As someone who has returned to playing the game recently, I have to say the EM Events have been repetitive. Every single event for the last 3 months has been go somewhere and kill something. That is about 12 events now. I also get the feeling there is a rule they can no longer do events in Felucca.

I remember way back there were good events. One time we stayed up all night to do a scavenger hunt. Another time we had to seek out monsters by following clues.

Current events seem to be suffering from trying to hard to fit into a mold. Every single event involves meeting at Lord Blackthorn's castle and the same 2 characters explaining a problem which involves us going to kill stuff.

Our EM has tried to break out of this recently with trying to break a code quest. But it was obscure and very hard.
I think this was an outright response to the boss being the responsible for item distribution. Before, you could loot the items from monster corpse' which, I feel, gives more freedom to do what the EM wishes with the event. Another factor is what this whole thread has been about. There has been a collective unit of people demanding a freebie. I noticed this on Atlantic a few years back. When you have so many people demanding for hand outs, then I feel that puts a lot of pressure on the EM. It doesn't leave them any freedom to express creativity because they feel pressured to cater to the people who want handouts.

"Show me where to go. I've been playing this game for 10 years but don't know where anything is,"

"Don't go to Felucca!!" I might get killed! Trammel Only!"

"I go to events too even though I do not participate so give me an item too,"

I mean, over the years, the pressure has been so great, I too have seen creative EM's fall under the current day events to do the following:

1. Show up at one place
  2. EM tells everyone where to go
  3. EM spawns monsters that, god forbid, kills anyone at all and makes it challenging.
  4. Never goes to fel because people are afraid to die by the sword of another player.
  5. Super easy boss so no one dies... and when someone dies... they complain.

That is one thing I miss about EM Events. They use to give a sense of thrill. Now, they are repetitive only to cater to the people who complain. I remember when EM Nestor was EM on Atlantic and he sent us to a dungeon for Halloween. So many creatures there that killed my A$$ in one shot. We had to band together and work together in order to defeat the growing force of monsters. You don't see that anymore. It's all catered to the people who bash the EM's in this very thread.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
I'll have to see when the next ones are. Not really crazy about having to be up before 5:00 a.m. on a Monday morning, if the ones on Arirang continue to happen on Sunday evenings, KST. Looks like the ones that were happening on Balhae were happening 6:00 a.m. to 8:00 a.m. MT on Sunday or Monday mornings. The Sunday morning ones might be workable, but the Monday morning ones would not work at all.

Thanks for pointing them out, however. I will keep an eye open for the Arirang and Balhae events and see if any of them work in the future.
right, its far from ideal. and balhae / formosa doesnt have an EM right now (takako left recently) EM Hanarin tho is actually one of my top 3 favorite EMs. he does an excellent job.

they are 13hrs ahead of us right now, so 10pm sunday night KST is sunday morning for U.S.

Ultima Online

he does sometimes post the U.S. time wrong (doesnt account for daylight savings time changes) so always best to use a time calculator. he posts the KST correctly.

Last edited:

Larisa

Publishing Manager, Stratics Leadership
Editor
Reporter
Professional
Editor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
I attended the em event on origin last night....the area was so ridiculously crowded I could not tell what was what...who was who... Could not even see the ground...I left...
It was rather crowded but I had no issues, and no I'm not saying that because she's my EM and Origin is my home. I was able to get plenty of screenshots of mobs before they were surrounded, they were easy to target....at times it got hectic...

http://i66.***********/dr2f6v.jpg

LOL

but it was fun :) EM Auma has been with us for a year already and she's pretty freakin amazing!

Attachments

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@MalagAste

i know your getting alot of grief in this thread, and also know your very devoted GL player. however i have to say that as much as i love the Great Lakes EMs, the shards a mess right now for events. theres more characters there then atlantic. probably because its the first shard people go to other then their home shard.

Maybe try a less populated shard and check out the events if you can make it? Every shard has alot of poeple, but 40 to 50 is alot less stressful than 120 to 150 like GL and Atlc. Bajas new EM seems good. Legends is good. Sonoma is a nice group. LA is great (if you like heavy RP) My personal preference is Arirang. It might just be a refreshing change.

Last edited:

JC the Builder

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
lots of words
Yeah, it seems over time the program has evolved to fit the broadest audience. That leaves you with bland events and a mechanism to distrubute loot.

Just look at how they have to drop the same number of items every event. How can there be 20 [boss name]'s personal journal? It does not make sense a lot of times.

The EM's don't seem to have the freedom to vary the number of items, whether it be one, three, a dozen, or a hundred.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I'm curious what particular elements you think would apply to the EM System. Rereading Wikipedia to remind myself about the Square Deal:

"The Square Deal was President Theodore Roosevelt's domestic program formed upon three basic ideas: conservation of natural resources, control of corporations, and consumer protection."

My view on connections:

1. Conservation of "Game" Resources -

A. The EM program shouldn't create balance issues, nullify in-game elements, or use art or mechanics wastefully. I think this is mostly true. Since the EM rewards lack properties or mechanical effects, they don't break mechanical or social balance. Beyond this Easter, they mostly reuse old art or give out new art items on a large scale. They don't actually add much gold to the game; gold on monsters minus insurance cost is probably a slight negative.

B. The EM program shouldn't put on undue burden on limited game development resources. While they sometimes get new powers, I don't believe they are much more powerful than the old Seers. This means

C. The EM program shouldn't create a financial burden beyond the benefit it brings. Given some of the above statements, it seems that getting rid of an entire aspect of UO wouldn't even get us a single new dev, and a single new dev wouldn't increase the publish schedule much beyond the few we get now.

2. Control of "Wealth"-

A. The EM program creates an effect like Tulip mania where people spend crazy amounts on objects that have far less intrinsic value. However, inflation in UO has existed before the EM program and is the result of honest gold farming and dishonest gold duping or scripting. EM rares move this gold around which may be a good thing or a bad thing depending on one's point of view.

B. The game systems that reward items currently favor certain tactics and templates. While the new system is better than the old system, I still think the drop system could be better. It seems to break when it needs to give out lots of items, like with the big black dragon from last year.

C. Broadsword is responsible for setting rules of conduct and terms of service that keep problematic behavior in check. On this, I think that multiboxing really pushes the limits of what should be allowed.

3. Consumer Protection -

A. The players/consumers need to be able to trust the EMs, so the EMs need to be trustworthy. EMs need to follow professional and ethical standards. Problematic EMs have been removed over the years, and Mesanna is always asking for information when new accusations arise.

B. Unfortunately, the assumption is that all EMs are untrustworthy. Most EM-themed threads have at least a few posts that dance close to libel. Random unproven accusations are detrimental, but not really something anyone can deal with. I personally find this distasteful, but it falls under the category of "All ball players use steroids. All car dealers dupe customers. All lawyers lie."

My conclusion is that Broadsword, the EM program, etc. have done a fair job on this. It does seem that other problems (a tiny dev team, lack of stuff to do solo, player greed, etc.) often get blamed on EM events which is not entirely fair.
First, Not be misquoted, I said the EM team could "learn" a lot from such a program. Not that they could necessarily "apply" direct literature from the square deal.

Great response! Though as i said before, comparing the two is a little silly.

Nonetheless, your response was very well thought out and I appreciate the insight.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
It's also very important to note that most events occur at times that would be convenient for the "average" person. I do not work a normal shift, like a lot of people, but I can see why they would choose the time they do on my shard. Because it's optimal for the average player. Do I miss events? Yep. Would it be ideal if I never had to? Yep. Is it more fair for them to have events when the most amount of people on that shard have an opportunity to attend based on time zone? Absolutely!

The one thing I wil say about Great Lakes is the Ems tend to do a lot of weekend events that give folks who can't do them during the week an opportunity to attend.

Also I have attended a lot of events on multiple shards and I see the same 2 people constantly disrupting events. No need to name you both, you know who you are. And for the most part people from other shards are very engaged in the storyline and fighting. A lot of the characters standing around are "extras", which I have no problem with people running multiple accounts if it's done LEGALLY.

In today's UO it is very cheap to outfit a guy and send them to another shard IF events are what you want to do. There are enough out there to cater to everyone's schedule. Again, this is IF events are what you want to do. And I DO NOT have shard shields but never have a problem getting stuff to and from shards thanks to the kindness of people. There are no shortage of good folks in the game who transfer often. And for the sake of argument if you can't afford to outfit a guy and buy a transfer token, it is VERY easy to train up a character capable of getting looting rights. Also, on most shards you can find very decent armor on vendors for dirt cheap (like 0-1000 gps).

Last edited:

kelmo

Old and in the way
Professional
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Dread Lord
in theory thats a nice thing, but it would also mean not having a EM program on alot of servers. which is a decision the devs would have to make. on some shards there are literally 0 to 5 home shard players, its hard to justify having an event for that few people. If items were changed to shard bound, some shards would still be viable for events. chessy might have 10ish at the events. GL/baja/LS would have 20ish. Napa, Arirang, Balhae would have practically no one. Lake austin, Legends, Origin maybe 5 or so. Atlantic would still have 100 plus. It would just be a huge change. Another possibility would be to shard bound items, but then take the EMs off the deadest shards and move them to Atlantic.
I do not know how many "home shard" players show up for these events. I only know how many show up on the shard I play on. I do know that if there were only 5 "home shard" players. A huge rush of folks that may or may not give a crap about the shard came every time the EM held an event, I would be put off the EM experience as well.

So you are proposing removing low population shard EMs and adding those EMs to Atlantic? How nice it would be for the EM chasers to just have the EMs come to them!

I will stand by what I said. I am so glad I only have one shard to play. I could not manage more... I suppose that is why the OP whats a hard calender so it would be easier for the EM chasers to manage that busy schedule.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
So you are proposing removing low population shard EMs and adding those EMs to Atlantic? How nice it would be for the EM chasers to just have the EMs come to them!
im saying that if items were shard bound like you and many others propose the devs would probably have to make staffing decisions because of low turnout on some servers.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
How do we know that? Maybe more locals would show up if not being trampled.
its just a guess from attending lots and lots of events. but you could be right. however if theres not more than 5 homeshard players on the server period, i just dont see more coming because items become shard bound. some shards have low turn out as it is right now. like on chessy some events only have 10 to 15 people. i wouldnt exactly call that "trampled" but your right, would never know until it was tried. It would really come down to a decison, like if costs more to pay 1 EM than lose the amount of revenue from accounts held by those that show up for the event, then it would be a good business decision to remove that shards EM.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Just go to Seige and do the event there. Multi client a bunch of thieves. Steal the item from who wins it.

Or

Just start a kill fest and get the item from who wins it.

Then for kittens and giggles.....

Kill Kelmo. He isn't hard to kill anyway.

Zosimus

Grand Inquisitor
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Id also like to note that as ive been making these posts, im building a character to take to Hokuto. Its going to be a blast. ive spent about 60m on well geared suit, scrolls, arties, jewels and 50m on a transfer token (because i like a well geared character, i really could have just bought an advanced character token and made a basic tamer and been perfectly fine)

And while im a strict opponent of using third party multibox and script programs (wish mesanna would take a hard stance against this) im a huge fan of seeing pvpers and others doing these events just to sell the item. they make alot of gold, and then use that gold to pay big for the global loot drops. because lets be honest, rpers and most pvmers arent paying for the loot. You need someone to spend gold in UO to make looting those corpses worth it. and alot of that gold comes from EM events. Others enjoy collecting but dont do events at all. EM events give them something to collect, and move gold into the game when it would be just sitting, or those people might have left the game entirely. Before i even did events on any shard other than my home shard (atlantic and since 2008 chessy) i had large amounts of gold from playing normal, everyday content (as well as global events) and used that gold to buy some of my first event items (which at the time were very expensive. they are much much cheaper overall now)

I do events on 18 shards (19 once i get to hokuto) and its a very entertaining playstyle. i dont see the term "crosssharder" as a negative thing at all. I participate in the rp, get decent loot, hang out with friends, and get EM items to either deco my houses with, or sell to buy other things i enjoy more. Theres something in UO for everyone. We have alot of vets who have seen and done basically everything. EM events keep things fresh, they arent perfect, no system is, but is one of the reasons the game is still around.

So sorry for my extremely long rant, if you dont like events find something else in UO that you like. theres alot to choose from. pvp. pvm. some quests. collecting. merchant. crafter. fishing. boat stuff. talking in chat. house deco. If theres absolutely nothing left in UO that fun can be found in, its probably best to put the game aside. all good things do come to an end.

THE END
Mizuho and Hokuto shards are fun to play. The players are great and you can do almost anything. Even their reds are great people. I have many friends on both shards. Once learning the language made it easier on them and me lol

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
I will stand by what I said. I am so glad I only have one shard to play. I could not manage more... I suppose that is why the OP whats a hard calender so it would be easier for the EM chasers to manage that busy schedule.
I enjoy particulating in EM content. My home shard is one of the less busy shards. I am a Governor on my shard and participate in those events. I am one of the few who participate in the random (but infrequent) EM stuff on our shard that has no drop (I think there were 10 people last time). I spent about a year building and suiting up an event character on each North American shard so I can participate in EM content on other shards. I would say my drop rate at events is better than average, but not every event (maybe around 60%), but you won't find any of mine for sale. I keep virtually all of them as my own memento of the event.

I'm sure I am not the only player who fits into this category.

In addition to my UO hobby(addition??), I have a career, a wife and 3 kids. If I want to attend events, it usually requires some planning. It is very frustrating when you have scheduled out your available time only to show up and find out the event has been moved. Is it the end of the world? Of course not. (I will say that missing out on an EMs final event ever, when you have been going to her events since she became an EM, is really disappointing though!). I still think having all events posted and updated when changes occur benefits everyone who attends the events.

My original post raised some concerns about the functional process of having EM events where I think there is room for improvement for some of our EM. Things I have seen other EMs do that I think players appreciate. I provided Mesanna with some specifics, and she will do with them what she wants.

It is too bad (though not totally unexpected) that this thread has taken a detour. Clearly people have strong feelings about events on both sides of the fence.