• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

@Mesanna - EM Accountability Regarding Events

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
That would be the players' fault for misunderstanding the Town Crier. It did say tonight's date, but also said "rescheduled", which some of us mistook to mean rescheduled for a later date.
Players fault... what am I missing... at what point can players change the town crier or post events on UO.com.

There is no misunderstanding... UO.com says 4/13 and the town crier says 4/14. Those are two different dates.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
That would be the players' fault for misunderstanding the Town Crier. It did say tonight's date, but also said "rescheduled", which some of us mistook to mean rescheduled for a later date.
And his last event that the town crier was spamming was cancelled went on as planned. So you can't trust the crier half the time either.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
Cancelled and rescheduled events last minute have been common to this shard since the previous EM left.
Cancelled and rescheduled events are OK in my opinion because I know things come up. But at least update the crier and/or calendar. I am sure I'm not the only one that missed that event last month because the crier was spamming the event was cancelled due to an emergency, when in fact it went on as planned. This just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's not the fact that I missed the event but this seemed almost intentional to me. I highly doubt it was but that's just how it seemed.

Conleth

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Awards
Cancelled and rescheduled events are OK in my opinion because I know things come up. But at least update the crier and/or calendar. I am sure I'm not the only one that missed that event last month because the crier was spamming the event was cancelled due to an emergency, when in fact it went on as planned. This just kinda rubbed me the wrong way. It's not the fact that I missed the event but this seemed almost intentional to me. I highly doubt it was but that's just how it seemed.
This is baffling to me. I can understand the site and town crier advising an event is occurring when in fact it is not (something came up suddenly for example). Yet why would an event occur when the site/crier says it's been cancelled? It takes literal moments to update them.
*confused*

As a related aside, an acquaintance threw an event item he'd just acquired into a trade window with me today. An event item from an event that no one had gone to on Baja. Going price? 300m. Three. Hundred. Million. For an event that just occurred (or hadn't depending on view). That is obscene.
*shakes head*

Lady Storm

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Let me first address the issue with the NPC...
How many of you had a unexpected issue with family or job that put a kink in your plans for the night, weekend, or date?
Exactly ...it is a common issue, people get sick, have a unexpected guest, or get told your job depends on you being there NOW.... The REAL world come first, this game dead last when it counts most.
When you are so busy as the Dark Lady is, or perhaps covering for a late EM due to one of these reasons.. you can make allowances for such errors. After all we all are human and life in the real world. Not everything is about the game.
And if your expecting perfection ... Get real. None of you is perfect.

Now for Scribbles.....
Dear friend,
I ask you in all fairness to walk a full mile in the shoes of the lead producer and the team....all 5 of them.
1 developer period
1 Q&A
1 Lead Producer
2 others who are the rest of the jobs ..... period...
Now you add in every Tom **** and Harry who sends in e-mails that number in the thousands a day, not a week mind you... a day!
Meetings every morning... some that take minutes others that take hours.
Did you think this game is conjured out of thin air???
It takes planning and discussing the aspects of what goes into this game.
Then squeezing in lunch sometimes (yes there are days she misses out on getting any lunch)
GM's and the team asking for answers, the Advisors requesting information and help on the tough stuff.
EM's needing help setting up events following and getting in a meeting with her as well.
Gee wiz Scribbles..
And you sit there saying she isn't doing anything for us??
That we need a new team...
Wake up sugar.
Look around you in the game...
From the outside looking in I see the Dev team we have are doing the job.
We are what is failing.
We the players have done more harm to the game then any dev could dream of.
Gimmie I want.... @#$@#$@#$@ every night when pvp starts and makes every other player to "listen" in.
The pk squads who back in the day were hell bent on killing any newbie who joined in.
The players who are not players at all but outside business men/women who think the game is their personal piggy bank. Any player is a sucker for paying them and they laugh at you for it.
Do I need to point out more?
EA
Well we all know of them...
Broadsword
Linked to EA but has the umph to make and give us a chance to live on beyond the 20 year mark.
IT takes time to make drastic changes..
Sometimes its one brick at a time....
Others it is swift as a summer breeze...

No one on this earth is perfect.... stop making out like you are.

drcossack

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
The crier originally said 4/13/16 - RESCHEDULED. The EM was on at the time, but I and a few others had misunderstood the "RESCHEDULED" part of it. Obviously we were wrong, but we had taken it to mean that it was rescheduled to be on a day that wasn't today. It wasn't because of the EM.

The other event you mentioned? LS's EM had a power outage, and his power came back.

Zandor

Lore Keeper
Stratics Veteran
But why not update the crier? I'm totally OK with events being put off. I get it, life happens. But when I see a crier saying the event is cancelled I fully expect the event has been cancelled. I shouldn't have to double check to make sure. I mean why shouldn't I think it's cancelled when the crier is spamming that it was?

*edited to point out this:

This is in no way a knock against Em Chance. I think he does a good job and I totally respect what he does for the players. He also has always replied when I emailed him. I especially love the mazes! I do not believe this was intentional, but it does give off a bad appearance. And yes I was very bummed that I missed out on this event because this stuff is my entertainment.

Last edited:

BrianFreud

Lore Keeper, Wiki Maker, & Doer of Crazy Things
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
How about that random "Monthly Fishing Contest" on the 30th? It's missing some important info, like shard. I'd guess LS, if only because if I click from the calender to the listing, then from the listing to the site, then go to the information link on the site, then scroll to the bottom, it tells me that runes are available at the Red Cow auction house. It looks to be a player event - maybe shard names should be a manditory part of any listing?

Varingian

Seasoned Veteran
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Actually @BrianFreud if you click the listing on the calendar it does list the venue as Lake Superior. And I don't want to take the thread off the topic of EM's but our Player Event Coordinator was very responsive when I requested some help spreading the word about our Fishing Contests. Who needs an EM Event when you can come and relax and fish with us? ;)

RockoNV

Seasoned Veteran
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Did an event 4-11 with EM Vereor on Napa...it was good times. He gets things on the calendar and does a good job. Participated with EM Willow last night on Sonoma (event was calendared)....great fun and there was a bit of fun after the event with the EM as well.

Take a break, go outside, get some fresh air and come back to the game after a week or so. Perhaps your perspective might change.

@Mesanna I do working lunches almost every workday: you are not alone!

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
How many of you had a unexpected issue with family or job that put a kink in your plans for the night, weekend, or date?
Exactly ...it is a common issue, people get sick, have a unexpected guest, or get told your job depends on you being there NOW.... The REAL world come first, this game dead last when it counts most.
When you are so busy as the Dark Lady is, or perhaps covering for a late EM due to one of these reasons.. you can make allowances for such errors. After all we all are human and life in the real world. Not everything is about the game.
We all understand that stuff happens. This thread would not be 200+ posts if issues with EM events were one offs. I bet in the last month there have been at least a half dozen (if not more) where event times were changed and things weren't updated correctly. It is an issue that needs to be addressed.

Like you said, we all know stuff happens, there should be a process put in place for when it does. We all know there are times, like the last Origin event and the EM power outage, that you just can't do anything about. It sucked for the boss, but I didn't hear anyone complain about the EM. But if there is time to update the town crier, there is time to update UO.com... IMO, there is no excuse for the two not to match.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Exactly ...it is a common issue, people get sick, have a unexpected guest, or get told your job depends on you being there NOW.... The REAL world come first, this game dead last when it counts most..
i cant agree on this. the EM only needs to be available 2 nights out of the month (3 if you count the governors meeting which are basically dead on most shards anyway)

Now if i know that i have a commitment 2 nights out of the month, im going to plan those nights accordingly. its a work from home position, days that i would not go my physical work because of sickness, i WOULD be able to just log on and do an event. So sickness (unless hospitalization) is not a very good excuse either imo.

Sorry, but i find it hard to believe that there is an "emergency" coincidentally on the exact night of the event, habitually, month after month.

what im getting at, is that emergencies happen. 1 or 2 can be forgiven. but rescheduling or changing almost every event is disrespectful to players. (and yes for a few shards, this is the situation)

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
Actually @BrianFreud if you click the listing on the calendar it does list the venue as Lake Superior. And I don't want to take the thread off the topic of EM's but our Player Event Coordinator was very responsive when I requested some help spreading the word about our Fishing Contests. Who needs an EM Event when you can come and relax and fish with us? ;)
Ah, I see it now, though "Venue" should be for the location on the shard, not the shard itself. It'd be good if the shard were in the title, though, since LS isn't the only shard with fishing contests.

Screenshot from 2016-04-14 09-38-39.png

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
i cant agree on this. the EM only needs to be available 2 nights out of the month (3 if you count the governors meeting which are basically dead on most shards anyway)

Now if i know that i have a commitment 2 nights out of the month, im going to plan those nights accordingly. its a work from home position, days that i would not go my physical work because of sickness, i WOULD be able to just log on and do an event. So sickness (unless hospitalization) is not a very good excuse either imo.

Sorry, but i find it hard to believe that there is an "emergency" coincidentally on the exact night of the event, habitually, month after month.

what im getting at, is that emergencies happen. 1 or 2 can be forgiven. but rescheduling or changing almost every event is disrespectful to players. (and yes for a few shards, this is the situation)
You couldn't plan for things like the hail storm in my town on Monday night that left 50 holes in my roof, cars destroyed, etc. You have to think, things come up, getting sick, parents ill, car crash, run out of gas, death in the family....etc etc.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
You couldn't plan for things like the hail storm in my town on Monday night that left 50 holes in my roof, cars destroyed, etc. You have to think, things come up, getting sick, parents ill, car crash, run out of gas, death in the family....etc etc.
pretty big coincidence that "something comes up" 9 out of 10 times, on the exact 2 days of the events, every single month. if your liveing where you get massive hail, rampant disease, earthquakes, exploding volcanos, i dunno maybe that person should take a break from EMing and try to re-locate.

BrianFreud

Professional
Stratics Veteran
Wiki Moderator
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Wiki Editor
pretty big coincidence that "something comes up" 9 out of 10 times, on the exact 2 days of the events, every single month. if your liveing where you get massive hail, rampant disease, earthquakes, exploding volcanos, i dunno maybe that person should take a break from EMing and try to re-locate.
Sounds to me like that hypothetical person would maybe be good at coming up with more interesting events... :p

Let's clarify: is the argument really against events getting rescheduled when that's needed? Sounds to me like it's really a case of providing sufficient notice - maybe a minimum 3 days notice, not a few hours.

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Sounds to me like that hypothetical person would maybe be good at coming up with more interesting events... :p

Let's clarify: is the argument really against events getting rescheduled when that's needed? Sounds to me like it's really a case of providing sufficient notice - maybe a minimum 3 days notice, not a few hours.
Heck, I would be ok with even a few hours notice, if BOTH places match and are correct.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED

Now for Scribbles.....
Dear friend,
I ask you in all fairness to walk a full mile in the shoes of the lead producer and the team....all 5 of them.
1 developer period
1 Q&A
1 Lead Producer
2 others who are the rest of the jobs ..... period...
Now you add in every Tom **** and Harry who sends in e-mails that number in the thousands a day, not a week mind you... a day!
Meetings every morning... some that take minutes others that take hours.
Did you think this game is conjured out of thin air???
It takes planning and discussing the aspects of what goes into this game.
Then squeezing in lunch sometimes (yes there are days she misses out on getting any lunch)
GM's and the team asking for answers, the Advisors requesting information and help on the tough stuff.
EM's needing help setting up events following and getting in a meeting with her as well.
Gee wiz Scribbles..
And you sit there saying she isn't doing anything for us??
That we need a new team...
Wake up sugar.
Look around you in the game...
From the outside looking in I see the Dev team we have are doing the job.
We are what is failing.
We the players have done more harm to the game then any dev could dream of.
Gimmie I want.... @#$@#$@#$@ every night when pvp starts and makes every other player to "listen" in.
The pk squads who back in the day were hell bent on killing any newbie who joined in.
The players who are not players at all but outside business men/women who think the game is their personal piggy bank. Any player is a sucker for paying them and they laugh at you for it.
Do I need to point out more?
EA
Well we all know of them...
Broadsword
Linked to EA but has the umph to make and give us a chance to live on beyond the 20 year mark.
IT takes time to make drastic changes..
Sometimes its one brick at a time....
Others it is swift as a summer breeze...

No one on this earth is perfect.... stop making out like you are.

Give me the chance and not only will i be walking that mile but ill be running 10 more after.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Witty as usual. The point is things can and do come up. And some times those things are more important than lil smoot getting his precious rare.

..9 out of 10 times, on the exact 2 days of the events, every single month.
Your blatant embellishment of the numbers weakens your cause.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Witty as usual. The point is things can and do come up. And some times those things are more important than lil smoot getting his precious rare.

Your blatant embellishment of the numbers weakens your cause.
what im referring to is habitual last minut reschedulings. its 1 EM saying his time is 50 to 100 more times valueable than the players time, cause thats how many people are at the event. Its not about just my time.

longtooths you know you have been away from events for quite some time. when you are showing up, on time for almost every scheduled event youll see for youself why this is a problem. until then, i think this discussion is done on your part.

Its not a matter of "emergencies" its a matter of habitual not showing up for work and blowing off 50 players. I dont blame you for not noticing if your not yourself going to events and seeing which EMs its a problem. 90 percent of the EMs have no problem keeping their shcedule, with the very occasional cancellation due to emergency. im not talking about those EMs. perhaps that wasnt made clear enough.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
what im referring to is habitual last minut reschedulings. its 1 EM saying his time is 50 to 100 more times valueable than the players time, cause thats how many people are at the event. Its not about just my time.
My problem is your embellishments and obvious numbers pulled from thin air to substantiate your side of every story. Did the EM really say that his time is 50 to 100 more times valueable[sp] that the players time?

longtooths you know you have been away from events for quite some time. when you are showing up, on time for almost every scheduled event youll see for youself why this is a problem. until then, i think this discussion is done on your part.
Your right I have been away from events for awhile, but I have been to enough to know exactly whom you are speaking of. I also think attention should be brought to. However, I don't think Stratics is the right venue and I think you cheapen your cause by making up figures and assigning feelings/motives to a person when you have no idea. As for you letting me know when I am done. lol.

Its not a matter of "emergencies" its a matter of habitual not showing up for work and blowing off 50 players. I dont blame you for not noticing if your not yourself going to events and seeing which EMs its a problem. 90 percent of the EMs have no problem keeping their shcedule, with the very occasional cancellation due to emergency. im not talking about those EMs. perhaps that wasnt made clear enough.
If it is not a matter of emergencies, then why does he do it since you know it is not emergencies?

One last time, I agree that this particular EM does miss more than most other EM's events. I will readily admit that I have no idea why he does it, what percentage of the time he does it, and nor have I counted the number of people effected. You however continue with assumptions. According to you, it is 9 out of 10 times every single month. 50 to 100 people are put out when this happens. It is not for emergencies and he says that his time is more important then the players that attend. 90 percent of the other EM's keep their schedule, but when they do miss it was because of an emergency.

Do you have any data that prove any of this? Or is it made up to bolster your frustrations?

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
@Longtooths

i agree with most of what you said, and was really just participating in this stratics thread for the hell of it. i know its not the place to really get anything done. i wasnt going to draw it out but you kept replying and arguing with me.

for the record, its 3 EMs that are the worst culprits. not just one.

i did have "data" lol but not going to bother posting it here. i was actually keeping track of every rescheduled / cancelled event for some time. i was bored *shrugs* everytime i posted / referenced that list it just got deleted by the mods anyway.

In any event at least the mods are allowing a somewhat open discussion of peoples problems, expectations, and ideas for improvement.

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
oi vei @ this thread.
And people say the PvP world is dramatic!

I hardly do events, not that I don't think its a cool program, but because I feel some people just take it all way too seriously. Rp, Drops, EMs not entertaining enough, the list of the drama involved with these events really goes on and on. I wouldn't want to be a EM for many of those reasons, but you also need to consider, EM's are not volunteers. This is a real job for them. If they aren't doing their jobs, they should be held accountable. But again, no one is perfect. I think it would be more fruitful to send Mesanna direct emails regarding any real EM issues? She is their boss, and does seem to be very involved in the EM program. Perhaps most of these issues can be resolved through the proper channels.

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
As a related aside, an acquaintance threw an event item he'd just acquired into a trade window with me today. An event item from an event that no one had gone to on Baja. Going price? 300m. Three. Hundred. Million. For an event that just occurred (or hadn't depending on view). That is obscene.
*shakes head*
It's not obscene, it's a good thing. Some random slob hits an event boss a few times and gets a drop, sells it for a hundred million or three, and suddenly they can go on a spending spree. Hundreds of millions of gold that was previously gathering dust in the account of some rich collector is now being used to buy a new house, new gear, powerscrolls, and all the other crap that makes the economy go around.

After 20 years the UO economy is inflated beyond belief, but that doesn't mean they should stop adding things to the game that are valuable just because a few people on Stratics get all triggered when they see large numbers.

Smoot

Stratics Legend
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
oi vei @ this thread.
And people say the PvP world is dramatic!

I hardly do events, not that I don't think its a cool program, but because I feel some people just take it all way too seriously. Rp, Drops, EMs not entertaining enough, the list of the drama involved with these events really goes on and on. I wouldn't want to be a EM for many of those reasons, but you also need to consider, EM's are not volunteers. This is a real job for them. If they aren't doing their jobs, they should be held accountable. But again, no one is perfect. I think it would be more fruitful to send Mesanna direct emails regarding any real EM issues? She is their boss, and does seem to be very involved in the EM program. Perhaps most of these issues can be resolved through the proper channels.
what happened to your stratics guild tag?

Giggles

Wielder of Ebil Cookies
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Social Media Liaison
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
what happened to your stratics guild tag?
Your question is a bit "off topic" but it should be displaying properly now. Thanks for reminding me to turn it on.

Lord Arm

Certifiable
Governor
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
things come up and have to reschedule, as long as they give 24 notice and don't do event early. shouldn't miss if you take the time to look. in my opinion town crier is all that's needed but a lot non-shard people would not like this lol. we use to only have town criers for info.

Scribbles

Long Live The Players
Professional
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On a side note, as much as i was disappointed to see the event not on the calendar properly... I did still make the event. the EM did apologize for not updating properly. He gets some brownie points for being honest.

and to top it off... EM chance did tell us that there would be a drop before the event began... I love knowing what im actually getting into before it starts. :)
em chance evi.JPG

Merus

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
On a side note, as much as i was disappointed to see the event not on the calendar properly... I did still make the event. the EM did apologize for not updating properly. He gets some brownie points for being honest.

and to top it off... EM chance did tell us that there would be a drop before the event began... I love knowing what im actually getting into before it starts. :)
View attachment 46441
I will say it was somewhat amazing... within minutes of that statement, the crowd size tripled... Who would have guessed?

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Is arguing in the ROC?
Since Nexus asked people to stop arguing if people continued arguing about that subject it technically could count as ignoring moderator warnings.

Plus this is in the ROC:

Untitled.png

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Convenient...why have any rules then. What that basically says is everything is subjective and there are no rules.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Convenient...why have any rules then. What that basically says is everything is subjective and there are no rules.
The rules are guidelines for the community, so people know what is expected of them. The ignoring moderator warnings rule would apply in this situation. The other thing is so unforeseen circumstances can be dealt with. It would be impossible to list everything someone could possibly do that is against the rules. It would be pretty ridiculous if a website wrote a rule saying "if you use your computer to hack the site you get banned" and someone hacked it with their phone instead, so the site couldn't ban them because it specifies computer in the rule.

Longtooths

Supreme Commander
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
The rules are guidelines for the community, so people know what is expected of them. The ignoring moderator warnings rule would apply in this situation. The other thing is so unforeseen circumstances can be dealt with. It would be impossible to list everything someone could possibly do that is against the rules. It would be pretty ridiculous if a website wrote a rule saying "if you use your computer to hack the site you get banned" and someone hacked it with their phone instead, so the site couldn't ban them because it specifies computer in the rule.
I find it equally "absurd" to ban people for arguing who are not cussing, using racial slurs, no personal info....etc etc. It is a slippery slope....

Spock's Beard

Sage
Stratics Veteran
"But if we can just force everyone to be civil at all times, surely we'll be a big success!"

-- The old staff, as the "Stratics Network" died a miserable death around them