• Hail Guest!
    We're looking for Community Content Contribuitors to Stratics. If you would like to write articles, fan fiction, do guild or shard event recaps, it's simple. Find out how in this thread: Community Contributions
  • Greetings Guest, Having Login Issues? Check this thread!
  • Hail Guest!,
    Please take a moment to read this post reminding you all of the importance of Account Security.
  • Hail Guest!
    Please read the new announcement concerning the upcoming addition to Stratics. You can find the announcement Here!

NEWS May's UO Newsletter

Mervyn

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
3 . Can't you just add a comma to the trade window for currency value?

Sorry not at this time, number formatting is not a supported feature and we would need to add it on the backend. We'll add it to our backlog for a future publish.

:hahaha::banana::hahaha::hahaha::hahaha: hahahahahahaha

Jynxx

Sage
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Shard bound EM items would only lead to more dead shards. As it stands, it is the event goers who help keep these low pop shards going. They are in essence the silk road to some of these shards, as they help to keep them supplied by dispersing goods from the busier servers.

Silk road? Are you serious?

Everything sells for less on low pop shards. Who would bring goods from Atlantic to resell for cheaper on a dead shard?

You can dream all day that event hoppers somehow help dead shards, but they don't. Showing up for exactly 1 hour once a month and taking the artifacts created by that particular shard's EM isn't helping.
It's pillaging.

Restroom Cowboy

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend

Everything sells for less on low pop shards. Who would bring goods from Atlantic to resell for cheaper on a dead shard?

You can dream all day that event hoppers somehow help dead shards, but they don't. Showing up for exactly 1 hour once a month and taking the artifacts created by that particular shard's EM isn't helping.
It's pillaging.
By silk road I am saying players are providing the transport of items from one shard to the next, that might not otherwise take place. Yes, when people need something specific they pay full price for what they want, but they don't have to pay for the cost of *shipping* or cross shard themselves to get it. Who takes stuff to small shards? A lot of like minded people who find joy in helping other people out.

There are a good deal of us out there who don't fit the mold you are casting. Whlie some do just what you say, others take part in the community, add to the RP, and even host auctions or festivals. A few bad apples don't make the bunch.

Pillaging? If you were just on Drachenfels, there were supposed to be 100 drops. 3 10 character multiboxxers killed the end boss in 10 seconds. A drop intended for everyone only went to a select group of multiboxxers and a couple of people lucky enough to get rights. Yep, I can't defend that. All I can say is this behavior doesn't represent the xsharders as a whole, but it does reflect on the underlying issue of greed addressed by this month's letter.

@Mesanna, I hope you reconsider your stance on Multiboxxing, a majority of players feel that no single player should be able control 10 characters with one mouse and keyboard at the same time.

Last edited:

Cyrah

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
Oh I now get why she jumped on glacial clothes. He made new glacial cloth according to the UO news story. She cannot tell which is old clothes item and which is new so she destroys it all?
Oh and maybe the multiboxers are bad boys. Some people like bad boys. (It will be a long UO time before I get over seeing those stupid nails on that roof.)

And I repeat I have no glacials except those snow ball throw things.

Cymidei

UO Pacific News Reporter
Alumni
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Campaign Supporter
I would be happy to point them out to you the next time I play. I counted 6 multibotters at the last Baja event...the largest being a 10 account bot. You won't see a majority of them until the final boss, which is when they have their main account gate them in.

Shard bound EM items would only lead to more dead shards. As it stands, it is the event goers who help keep these low pop shards going. They are in essence the silk road to some of these shards, as they help to keep them supplied by dispersing goods from the busier servers. If you make items shard bound this trade goes out the window, and these servers lose most of their playing base in the long term.

If you make 50 platinum a month from events and bot farming, and 1 plat sells for $120 US, that amounts to $6000 a month. Is it still profitable? Yes, as long as multiboxxing continues to be a thing, RL transactions are still profitable to these individuals.
Hmm makes you wonder doesn't it? Why wouldn't Mesanna or the EMs simply host their events in regions flagged where you can't cast gate? It seems to me like there is a lot of enabling going on and they have observed the same behavior and done nothing. We have the corruption because it is enabled. They could choose to put a stop to it if they really wanted to do it. The problem is that they know about the problem but choose not to solve it and continue distributing rare items at these events, holding them in places where people can recall/gate in, etc. The program won't use a clicky, because that would cut down on the profits that certain individuals make, etc., choosing not to enforce game rules, etc.

I am pleased that the devs though have taken a page from the free shards and implemented the new taming system which is a proven winner on the indie shards. Lol, I am doubly pleased to report that there are also proven, fair, and honest systems the indies have also figured out for events and the role-play community...this is part of the reason the playstyle is as rare as hen's teeth these days; people have moved to where they can play how they want. The answers are out there but not implemented...why?

Last edited:

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
"5. Can Physical/Cold melee necro pets have corpse skin taken off their spell list?

We will gather more feedback and make a decision on that in the future."

@Bleak @Kyronix Hopefully you guys fix this. I know there are separate spell lists for different Necro casting pets, it's why Liches and Lich Lords won't cast Vengeful Spirit, Blood Oath or Animate Dead, and yet some other Necro casters can. Corpse Skin really messes with the damage output of Physical/Cold melee necro pets. Corpse Skin is what holds back the Shadow Wyrm from having a Top 5 spot as a damage dealer.
Just for example, if a Physical/Cold necro pet deals 100 damage per hit before Resists, and is fighting an opponent with 70 Physical/Cold Resist (not uncommon with bosses), he'll do 30 damage a hit. If that Physical/Cold necro pet then casts Corpse Skin on that same opponent, boosting it from 70 Physical/Cold Resist to 80, he'll go from doing 30 damage a hit to 20, a 33% drop in melee damage output. The higher the opponent's Physical/Cold Resist, the worse it gets. A Dire Wolf Corpse Skinning an 85 Physical Resist Saurosaurus (boosting it to 95), would have his melee damage output dropped by 66%. Increased Poison Strike/Strangulate damage is not going to compensate for that at all.

Last edited:

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
@Mesanna

I know a good way to get rid of multiboxers at EM events - make the EM event drops shard bound!

Simple.
This ^^^^... And quit trying to backwards the game by making other silly stuff shard bound and make the stuff that really would benefit being shard bound bound... Powerscrolls have been around too long to suddenly decide that they need to be shard bound now ....... besides which once again this will ONLY benefit folk like myself who have shard shields up the ...... and will only serve to alienate and upset the newer players and returning players who don't have shields... making them resent Vets even more.

ShriNayne

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Awards
We have all been asking for EM items to be shard bound for a long time, the answer is always no. I can't see why this is the case, surely shard specific EM events should primarily be for the enjoyment of the players on that shard, but those seem to be the first people to give up and stop going because of the behaviour of other players. I just can't see any justification for the current system, unless the economy of one shard is more important than all the others. :(

Silent Singer

Certifiable
Stratics Veteran
UNLEASHED
I totally support the idea of EM items being shard bound. There does not seen to be a logical explanation for why they are not already shard bound. If they absolutely refuse to make them shard bound, why not put replicas of EM items in the store that are shard bound? That would allow shard natives who participate in events a chance to get the drops they miss while still allowing the rare traders the ability to move the originals (which seems to be Broadswords justification for not making them shard bound already). If could buy EM replicas in the UO store for any event I miss my purchases for the online store would quadruple.

PlayerSkillFTW

Babbling Loonie
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
@Mesanna

I know a good way to get rid of multiboxers at EM events - make the EM event drops shard bound!

Simple.
Yep. I knew a Rares Collector on Napa by the name of "Swamp Thing", and he only collected Event Items that came from Napa. He was dedicated to keeping as many of Napa's EM items on Napa as possible, in his public Museum. When he quit UO, he gave me a few of the Rares under the condition that i never take them off of Napa. I have kept my word. I too think that EM Event items, should be shard bound. They are a part of that shard's history.

CovenantX

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Yep. I knew a Rares Collector on Napa by the name of "Swamp Thing", and he only collected Event Items that came from Napa. He was dedicated to keeping as many of Napa's EM items on Napa as possible, in his public Museum. When he quit UO, he gave me a few of the Rares under the condition that i never take them off of Napa. I have kept my word. I too think that EM Event items, should be shard bound. They are a part of that shard's history.
I'm pretty sure PampaDH does the same thing with items from Lake Superior Events.

Shard-Binding EM items would certainly promote collecting of shard-specific rares. (I also think EM items should be one of the most important items to become shard-bound).

I'm of the opinion that most (or all) items generated via the "Direct-to-pack" system should be shard-bound. Though it may sound a bit extreme, obviously there would be some exceptions.

The end result is to have a more balanced population between shards, instead of forcing everyone new/returning to just play Atlantic or have very few people or even no one to play with.

It's a shame the whole "Shard-bound" wasn't something they had come up with much earlier, you know... like when shard transfers came out (2010-2012ish)

UO would likely have been much better off.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Making things shard bound will fix nothing. It will also tick off a whole lot of people.

MalagAste

Belaern d'Zhaunil
Alumni
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Making things shard bound will fix nothing. It will also tick off a whole lot of people.
Actually I can say for Certain that making EM Event items Shard Bound will actually make far more people HAPPY than Pissed.

The only ones who'd get pissed about it would be those who do nothing but collect rares and those who do nothing but SELL rares for RMT.

Fridgster

Crazed Zealot
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Actually I can say for Certain that making EM Event items Shard Bound will actually make far more people HAPPY than Pissed.

The only ones who'd get pissed about it would be those who do nothing but collect rares and those who do nothing but SELL rares for RMT.
Rares community is pretty large. I myself really not interested but that's just me.

Captn Norrington

Stratics Forum Moderator
Professional
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Campaign Supporter
Rares community is pretty large. I myself really not interested but that's just me.
That depends on what you consider to be the rares community. The rares community has two parts, the "professional" collectors whose entire UO existence revolves around collecting rares (most of them post on these forums), and the casual collectors who just vaguely like rares, buy some now and then, but have no significant attachment to the community aspect of collecting rares and have other things they like just as much as rares.

I'd say there are probably less than 30 of the "professional" type of collectors left in the game, and those are the people most think of as the "real" rares community. Those 30 or so people control a very large number of accounts though, since some of them have 25+ accounts by themselves.

Lord Nabin

High Council Sage - Greater Sosaria
Professional
Supporter
Stratics Veteran
Stratics Legend
UNLEASHED
Glorious Lord
The Rares Community and collectors would just adjust to whatever the current situation is. You know those people with a ton of accounts.

They would just find nice rare locations on each shard for their house and set up their museums by shard. They would still buy rare items they did not get from those who did secure them.

Please don't imagine for a second that shard bound EM items would change anything at all. The economics, buying and selling, and collecting would all stay the same.

I feel a lot of this discussion misses out on the fact that a lot of people show up to the events from different shards because they like the content of fresh adventures in real time and the opportunity to get the occasional item. They are there for the content and fun but that occasional cookie is a nice perk and they keep it forever and treasure it.

Yes I know all the drama about the multi whatever etc. but lets face it. In the face of scripters people still show up at every idoc hoping for a chance to place or pick up a nice set of items. Sure they complain but they live with it because well that is the current lay of the land.

Shard bound items achieve nothing.

Capt. Lucky

Grand Inquisitor
Stratics Veteran

It's pillaging.
I love event night! I usually get 4 times the business. I probably couldn't keep a vendor going without the support of the cross sharders. Different shards often get completely different items. I like the idea of being able to pick them up on Atlantic when I can get over there. I really hate shard bound. At one time I was ok with it. But like Legends is probably the largest "dead shard" (not Atlantic or GLs) and it get's really tough to find thing for long periods. Shall I beat the dead horse of vendors are way to expensive to run on the low pop shards again? Mesanna is killing us and making the game far less enjoyable not supporting vendors in UO